HELP (Urgent please): Sony XBR-55HX929 OR Panasonic TC-P55VT50? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

If I get the Sony it will be purchased from a different organization with a different shipper:) Again, not sure if the damages units left the factory this way, or if it occured during shipping.

part of my job is unpacking and putting tvs on display. Never had a damaged Panny (darn few damaged sets of any brand), and as far as "build quality" they're at least as good as if not better than anything else currently on the market.

Steve S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
From the Cnet review,

"Updated July 8, 2011: After this review posted, we were contacted by a couple of readers asking about the "crease." We missed it the first time around, but looking closely we see it now. It appears as a very slightly darker line running vertically along the left side of the screen, and can be seen most clearly in flat fields of color especially during camera movement. On our review sample we don't consider it a big deal, mainly because it ranges from invisible to barely noticeable in most scenes."

This may or may not bother you.

I'm also a bit put off that the XBR at this price range doesn't have 10 point calibration.

"Update August 30, 2011: We've had the chance to test the 3D picture quality of the XBR-HX929 with new glasses, and the short story is that the issues we saw originally are still there, putting a fly in the ointment of the TV's excellent overall performance. The Sony's 3D image also deteriorates rapidly--losing the 3D effect and becoming rife with crosstalk, as well as brighter and discolored--when you tilt your head "

Not sure if 3D is your thing, but something to consider if so.

Cnet's summary,

"The Sony XBR-HX929 is the best-performing LCD-based TV we've tested this year, outdoing edge-lit models by virtue of superior black-level performance and very good color. Those exceedingly deep blacks don't sacrifice any shadow detail, but the local-dimming backlight does result in some blooming and off-angle issues. Overall, however, for picture quality the HX929 stands above all but the very best plasma TVs, at least when viewed from the sweet spot directly in front of the screen. "

Cnet's take on the VT50,

"As you can probably guess by now, the VT50 earned a "10" in this category. Its only flaws are minor crosstalk in 3D and some wonkiness during my calibration, but neither of those can keep it from taking the 2012 TV picture-quality crown -- and serving as my new reference TV. It's clearly Panasonic's best plasma ever, and creates some stiff competition for the OLEDs arriving later this year."

I think the only reason not to get the VT50 is to avoid IR issues with static images.

Michael
post #33 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 03:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

That's interesting. That poster also posted in the VT thread stating that he was considering the VT, but here he states he's had it for 3 months...

Ah heck my bad I screwed up the copy of the quote. The former VT plasma owner was flyguyjake responding to dad1018 as to why he returned his Panasonic VT50 for a Samsung ES8000. Link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-thread/2220#post_22270046
post #34 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if we're now talking about the packaging, then panasonic wins here compared at least to sharp. the panasonic shipping boxes have an ingenious locking mechanism that holds the top and the bottom boxes together - twist and pull out to get the top off so that you can lift out the set. Sharp uses tape to keep the bottom from falling out when lifting - pure crap.

I had a panasonic 50ST30 shipped from amazon. no damage to the box or set whatsoever. Frankly, if a manufacturer is a bad shipper I don't see how they can stay in business. their business is to get product out for consumers and in this day and age, you can't stay in business if you can't do that. you've been unlucky and need a new vendor, for either brand.
post #35 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I think the only reason not to get the VT50 is to avoid IR issues with static images.

I would say so. However, the Samsung E8000 would be a great alternative then (as would the E7000 and E6500).
post #36 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

if we're now talking about the packaging, then panasonic wins here compared at least to sharp. the panasonic shipping boxes have an ingenious locking mechanism that holds the top and the bottom boxes together - twist and pull out to get the top off so that you can lift out the set. Sharp uses tape to keep the bottom from falling out when lifting - pure crap.

I had a panasonic 50ST30 shipped from amazon. no damage to the box or set whatsoever. Frankly, if a manufacturer is a bad shipper I don't see how they can stay in business. their business is to get product out for consumers and in this day and age, you can't stay in business if you can't do that. you've been unlucky and need a new vendor, for either brand.

Definitely agree with you there. The Sony and Samsung boxes are just taped. I wish they all had that locking mechanism.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I recommend buying the set from a B&M store when you can. You can take it home yourself thatway, provided you have a large enough pickup, SUV, or minivan to fit it in.
post #38 of 38 Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Definitely agree with you there. The Sony and Samsung boxes are just taped. I wish they all had that locking mechanism.

My Samsung ES7150 from Costco used the locking mechanism, no tape.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page