HELP (Urgent please): Sony XBR-55HX929 OR Panasonic TC-P55VT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I please need help deciding. I had ordered the Panny VT50, but the first set was transported improperly, the second set was lost in transit, and the third arrived with the screen cracked internally. I never was able to set the system up, and was not very impressed witht he quality of materials. The unit is going to replace an old Sony XBR CRT TV from 2002. The unit is going to be mounted on the wall on a 14 x 14 room with only one window, so it will remain dark at all times. I rarely watch sports and do not play much video games. I love the bight colors of LED's, but also the deep blacks of Plasmas. Which one would you choose, and why? The price difference would be $400.00 higher for the Sony. Please advise. I am a little scared with the issues that I had with the Panasonic, dead or stuck pixels, IR, and other issues inherent with Plasmas. Is the Sony prone to any issues? I have heard of banding and creasing? Additionally, is the Sony being discontinued? I need to place the order by tomorrow, so please provide opinions. Is the Sony easier to calibrate than the Panasonic? Please advise. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

PS: Viewing distance will be around 7 to 8 FT, and there will not be much seating to the sides of the center of the TV, as it is a 90-inch couch for three.
post #3 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
go for the plasma... your viewing environment is right for it and it will be closer to the CRT it replaces in terms of tech/PQ quality
post #4 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM

I would first opt for Panasonic plasma -- second would be Sony LCD.
post #5 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
VT50 sounds like a good choice given your viewing details. But with the problems with the 3 sets you had on order, perhaps you can find it locally at a brick and mortar store.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I was not impressed with the build quality of the VT 50. The chrome surround is flimsy and so is that bak panel. Unfortunately, I am unable to view them or compare, as no one in close proximity carries wither model.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Any more input?
post #8 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked: 23
I think you would be happier with the Sony HX929. there is a whole thread here on AVS for it.

It can be calibrated down to a level for a darker room with perhaps 30 to 35 foot lamberts of light output and give good black levels plus those gorgeous colors. And no issues with image retention, buzzing, running "slides" for break in, etc. Here;s the thread for the HX929, but also do a search for the Official VT50 thread if you want.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1318875/official-sony-hx929-owners-thread-46hx929-55hx929-65hx929-no-price-talk/14010
post #9 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
It sounds like all your problems are shipping damage. Why not pick one up locally?

The 929 is a good TV, but I'd go for the VT50, because the picture will stay good throughout the viewing angle, better calibration ability. and better 3D (if you plan to use that in the future). Since you are not playing video games or using it as a computer monitor, IR shouldn't be an issue.

Michael
post #10 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

It sounds like all your problems are shipping damage. Why not pick one up locally?
The 929 is a good TV, but I'd go for the VT50, because the picture will stay good throughout the viewing angle, better calibration ability. and better 3D (if you plan to use that in the future). Since you are not playing video games or using it as a computer monitor, IR shouldn't be an issue.
Michael

+1; also, keep in mind plasmas excel in a dark viewing environment (not to mention they have superior screen uniformity and unlimited viewing angles vs. LCDs)
post #11 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Any more input?

The Official VT50 thread indicates video noise issues (snowy grainy?) and an over all "dull" image which is a common observation with many plasma TVs. Also, Sony HX929 owners report a vibrant picture quality with depth and detail that seems to be lacking in the softer image produced by a plasma display.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/4770#post_22244597
post #12 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:

I please need help deciding. I had ordered the Panny VT50, but the first set was transported improperly, the second set was lost in transit, and the third arrived with the screen cracked internally. I never was able to set the system up, and was not very impressed witht he quality of materials. The unit is going to replace an old Sony XBR CRT TV from 2002. The unit is going to be mounted on the wall on a 14 x 14 room with only one window, so it will remain dark at all times. I rarely watch sports and do not play much video games. I love the bight colors of LED's, but also the deep blacks of Plasmas. Which one would you choose, and why? The price difference would be $400.00 higher for the Sony. Please advise. I am a little scared with the issues that I had with the Panasonic, dead or stuck pixels, IR, and other issues inherent with Plasmas. Is the Sony prone to any issues? I have heard of banding and creasing? Additionally, is the Sony being discontinued? I need to place the order by tomorrow, so please provide opinions. Is the Sony easier to calibrate than the Panasonic? Please advise. Thank you.

Sounds like you want the LED so go for it. You tried 3 times to get the VT50 and for whatever reason failed. You don't want to worry about IR or other plasma issues you like the bright colors of the LED. I can't speak to the Sony model you are looking at. I'm coming from 3 years of plasma ownership to LED and after 3 weeks I'm very pleased with my LED, nothing wrong with plasma but I like the brighter picture of the LED and I don't have it on torch mode.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 AM

Liked: 13
I agree the HX929 produces deep blacks and since you are sitting in front of the TV you shouldn't have any issues with it. You can make it dim like a plasma or bright as heck if you like. You may have better luck with the shipping as well since it is very light and only about an inch and a half thick. The crease problem was a manufacturing issue that is no longer an issue. Some owner have reported banding but that is usually in the 65 inch model. I have a 55 myself and have no issues. I chose the HX929 because I value movies and games equally and I also use my TV as my main computer monitor so it was a much more clear choice but I think you will be very happy with the picture quality vs plasma. I am.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
Panasonic - my dad has 65 Sony my brrther just got the 55 Panasonic over the SOny - if you want want the most true real picture and not blown away everyday with the wow broghtness factor go with Pannny
post #15 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the opinions. Unfortunately, the decision is not any easier because the opinions are all over the place, LOL. The issue is that I have not and cannot view and compare both models, as no one around carries them, and can only order them.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
in a darkened environment with controlled lighting like you have, plasma is the way to go, especially in the 55'' size. for led, there will be issues with background uniformity, and motion. this are non-issues with the plasma. if you don't need the THX viewing modes, you can save significant money with the ST50 series (or even GT50) compared to the VT50.

Might the issue be the vendor you're using for shipping. I bought a 50'' ST30 from amazon and had no issues with shipping damage. You're either very unlucky or the vendor is using a bad shipper.

Best,
jeff
post #17 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

The vendor continues to use a bad shipper. I have not been able to view the image, but the TV does look flimsy and poorly built. It is well protected. Not sure if it is an issue with shipping, or quality control before leaving the factory.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I follow the ST/GT/VT50 threads in the plasma forum. I've not heard of anyone there having such shipping issues. I personally wouldn't let shipper issues determine what you buy (just guessing but if you bought the sony, you'd also have it shipped? using the same shipper?)

I bought my ST30 online from amazon and had no shipper issues.

My opinion is that with your environment, get the plasma.
mule65 likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

If I get the Sony it will be purchased from a different organization with a different shipper:) Again, not sure if the damages units left the factory this way, or if it occured during shipping.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

it's the shipper, not the manufacturer. We're talking about panasonic.
post #21 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

The Official VT50 thread indicates video noise issues (snowy grainy?) and an over all "dull" image which is a common observation with many plasma TVs. Also, Sony HX929 owners report a vibrant picture quality with depth and detail that seems to be lacking in the softer image produced by a plasma display.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/4770#post_22244597

That is until they started comparing it to other TVs, and noticed the same issues. There is a bit of the herd mentality on these forums. One person notices something, and then everyone notices it, without a sample control.

Michael
post #22 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

to continue with Michael2000's post, what's the set that the elite owners are having vicious debate on which is better? (recall the price of the elite 60'' is ~$5500 at bestbuy.com). answer is VT50 (the 55'' is well under $2500 retail now). properly setup the images are far from "dull". video noise is a feature of plasmas. if you seeing it, then you're generally too close to the set. it's like the old saying regarding CRT's, if you can see the scan lines, then you're too close.
post #23 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM

I can't disagree on the plasma love shown here as they do provide a great picture in a semi-dark environment and the new Panasonic Plasmas have great reviews other than some reports that they maybe prone to IR if abused.

But I guess I'm a little superstitious if I tried 3 time to purchase a big ticket item and failed 3 times I think I would move on to different TV or at least a different seller. I'm enjoying my change from a Panasonic S1 plasma to a Samsung ES7100 LED but I'm still on my 90 day Costco honeymoon, if I change my mind I can return it. I do not miss the faint fan noise and heat of the plasma, granted these were very minimal issues but the LED has no such issue. My final recommendation is to go with your gut instinct, the LED vs Plasma debate is always on going. These should both be great sets, there is no wrong answer. Just be sure of a good return policy and the purchase should be stress free.
post #24 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

to continue with Michael2000's post, what's the set that the elite owners are having vicious debate on which is better? (recall the price of the elite 60'' is ~$5500 at bestbuy.com). answer is VT50 (the 55'' is well under $2500 retail now). properly setup the images are far from "dull". video noise is a feature of plasmas. if you seeing it, then you're generally too close to the set. it's like the old saying regarding CRT's, if you can see the scan lines, then you're too close.

yes, in my opinion, you can't really justify spending that much more on the elite when the VT50 offers PQ that is at least equal (if not better in some key areas) to it for less than half the cost

the elite is a great TV but a poor value

the VT50 is a great TV and a great value (and the GT50 and ST50 are also great and even better values)

Also, this year's Samsung plasmas seem to be very IR resistant, especially compared to the 2012 Panasonics. So, the Samsung E8000/E7000/E6500 are good plasma choices for those worried about IR.

I don't think anyone can honestly call the picture on the VT50 dull, given the awesome black levels and contrast ratio the set offers (unless you are a current LED/LCD owner that loves torch mode and hates a calibrated picture). It also uses dark screen technology which keeps the picture from losing contrast ratio and black levels under bright ambient light (a problem with some lower-end plasmas).
post #25 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys for the opinions. Unfortunately, the decision is not any easier because the opinions are all over the place, LOL. The issue is that I have not and cannot view and compare both models, as no one around carries them, and can only order them.

Well, CNET, an expert and often cited and well regarded review source to many here on AVS says the Sony HX929 rivals plasma and also produces the deep blacks desired. CNET goes on to say the HX929 calling it "Best Performing".

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20077159-1/sony-xbr-hx929-review-best-led-tv-yet-this-year/

The XBR-HX929, Sony's most expensive and, we're willing to guess, best-performing TV, is also the company's only local dimmer. It boasts that excellent contrast by way of inky black levels not found on any TV aside from the oft-cited Pioneer Kuro plasma, and improves upon the color accuracy of its predecessor XBR. In short, it represents the pinnacle of LCD picture quality, so if you're shopping in the extreme upper end of the TV market and were only going to consider plasma, the XBR-HX929 might change your mind.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 17
I have been on the fence when is comes down to the LCD/LED vs. Plasma war. I have ended up with an LED at the end because peace of mind is important to me as much as PQ.
I do not like to baby sit a plasma, the break in, IR prevention, worrying if I am gaming too often, or watching BD with black bars too much. I feel like plasmas are chemical-electrical systems, constantly changing. 3 years from now your plasma will be dimmer and will show more noise/dithering, perhaps as the phosphors wear off; not to mention the blacks can change too (was is the VT30 with raising grays?).
Maybe it is a negligible decay, but I want my TV to keep the punchy brights and inky blacks, stay stunning as the 1st day. LEDs don't go dim.

Finding a near perfect LCD is not easy. XBR is right on the money. If cost is not issue, go with XBR. my 2 cents.

Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Speakers: 5.1, Polk Monitor 70 Biamped (R,L), Polk CS20 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Rears), Yamaha (Woofer) Previous Displays: Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD, Sony XBR-65HX950, Toshiba 55SV670U, Mitsubishi WD-65734, Panasonic PT-47WX49

post #27 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

I have been on the fence when is comes down to the LCD/LED vs. Plasma war. I have ended up with an LED at the end because peace of mind is important to me as much as PQ.
I do not like to baby sit a plasma, the break in, IR prevention, worrying if I am gaming too often, or watching BD with black bars too much. I feel like plasmas are chemical-electrical systems, constantly changing. 3 years from now your plasma will be dimmer and will show more noise/dithering, perhaps as the phosphors wear off; not to mention the blacks can change too (was is the VT30 with raising grays?).
Maybe it is a negligible decay, but I want my TV to keep the punchy brights and inky blacks, stay stunning as the 1st day. LEDs don't go dim.
Finding a near perfect LCD is not easy. XBR is right on the money. If cost is not issue, go with XBR. my 2 cents.

+1 I agree for all the reasons you've stated. Having to "be careful" or even mindful of how you use a TV would seriously detract from it's enjoyment no matter how good the picture. And, as you've stated, plasma tv depends on phosphor technology in the same way as CRTs. Some have even reported color shifts as one color of phosphor changes more than another, as well as the floating or rising black levels. True, LCD/LED and plasma each have their imperfections and idiosynchrocies , but once a good LED/LCD TV is found it is pretty much a toal joy to own and view. Mu experience and 2 cents. smile.gif
post #28 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 PM

FWIW from the Samsung ES8000 forum
Skip to the last third for plasma concerns.
IMO the perfect tv is not out there yet.
Keep in mind I'm not a plasma hater, in fact if I return my ES7100 (do not forsee this) one of the top plasmas will be in the top 3 of my options.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-thread/2220#post_22270046

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 

Hi All,
My wife finally gave me the go-ahead to get a new TV, and I am torn between this and the VT50. I understand the VT50 may have a better picture based on reviews I have read, but really like how this TV looks in the stores. I had a few questions I was hoping you all could help with...
Clouding/Blackess - It appears based on this thread their are issues that people have been having with black levels and clouding. Are most of these sets without these defects? Would you all still recommend buying this set given the risk of the issues?
3D - II recently went into Best Buy to check out this TV. The 2d looked great, but the 3d they had playing looked downright awful. It was a demo showing fish swimming, but the quality of the picture was horrible - many jagged edges and not sharp at all. Was this just due to their set up? Is this TV capable of producing 3D similar to going to the theater and watching something such as Avatar that was built for 3D?
As cool as it is that motion control/voice recognition is built into this TV, I do not care AT ALL about these features. I am going to be getting the 60" version of this TV and spending close to $3k, however, I would hate to feel that I am overpaying for this TV just to have these features... Do you all think this TV would be worth the price without them?
I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!

Reply from flyguyjake:
I started about 3 months ago with a 65" VT50. This was my first plasma tv. I didn't like it at all for the following reasons;

1) Buzzing noise (all plasma tv's have it)
2) Video Dithering (all plasmas have it)
3) Flickering picture
4) Dark picture (not good in a typical family room)
5) Heavy power consumption (pulls about 5 amps according to my pureav)
6) Heat (this TV really gets hot)

If you have never owned a plasma I would steer clear! It takes some getting used to I must say. I prefer the es8000 10fold! The clarity and bright picture is stunning. I will never buy a plasma tv again.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post

Keep in mind I'm not a plasma hater, in fact if I return my ES7100 (do not forsee this) one of the top plasmas will be in the top 3 of my options.
Quote:
Hi All,
My wife finally gave me the go-ahead to get a new TV, and I am torn between this and the VT50. I understand the VT50 may have a better picture based on reviews I have read, but really like how this TV looks in the stores. I had a few questions I was hoping you all could help with...
Clouding/Blackess - It appears based on this thread their are issues that people have been having with black levels and clouding. Are most of these sets without these defects? Would you all still recommend buying this set given the risk of the issues?
3D - II recently went into Best Buy to check out this TV. The 2d looked great, but the 3d they had playing looked downright awful. It was a demo showing fish swimming, but the quality of the picture was horrible - many jagged edges and not sharp at all. Was this just due to their set up? Is this TV capable of producing 3D similar to going to the theater and watching something such as Avatar that was built for 3D?
As cool as it is that motion control/voice recognition is built into this TV, I do not care AT ALL about these features. I am going to be getting the 60" version of this TV and spending close to $3k, however, I would hate to feel that I am overpaying for this TV just to have these features... Do you all think this TV would be worth the price without them?
Thanks!
I started about 3 months ago with a 65" VT50. This was my first plasma tv. I didn't like it at all for the following reasons;
3) Flickering picture
If you have never owned a plasma I would steer clear! It takes some getting used to I must say. I prefer the es8000 10fold! The clarity and bright picture is stunning. I will never buy a plasma tv again.

It seems like plasma just wasn't for you (@ dad0118 & flyguyjake) , though I wouldn't say all VT50 owners have these issues or even notice them if they do in fact have them. All display technologies have their inherent pros/cons, so when it comes to making a personal choice, you have to pick your poison. wink.gif

Also, trying to evaluate PQ in store is pretty pointless since the source material and viewing environment rarely emulate what you have at home (not to mention the sets are in store mode in terms of picture settings). This is one reason why expert reviews should be considered if you don't know which model to buy. Ultimately, though, only the buyer can decide which set is right for them (which is why threads asking what TV to buy can only be helpful to a certain extent).
post #30 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
3) Flickering picture
That's interesting. That poster also posted in the VT thread stating that he was considering the VT, but here he states he's had it for 3 months...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page