Samsung UN60ES7150 vs. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide between the following from Costco. I'm replacing a old Samsung HL-P5685W (56" rear projection HDTV) .

A) Samsung UN60ES715 - Samsung 60" Class 1080p LED 3D HDTV, 4x 3D Glasses, Wireless Keyboard - $2500
B) Sharp 70C8470 - AQUOS Quattron 70" Class 3D 1080p 240Hz AquoMotion 480 LED Smart 3D TV $2900
C) Panasonic TC-55LE54 - Panasonic 55" Class SMART VIERA® 1080p 120Hz LED Edge Lit HDTV and Wireless Adapter $1100
D) Vizio M3D550KD - 55" Class 3D 1080p 240Hz SPS™ LED Edge Lit LCD HDTV - $1200

Sources:

- DirecTV HD, 1080p (I do not subscribe to 3D channels)
- Macmini running Plex (HDMI, 1080p)
- Samsung Bluray 1080p (non-3D)
- Sony SD 400 Disc changer (HDMI)

A couple of thoughts:

1) I really don't care about the 3D capability as I don't see the content being available. It seems that the cost different is very small and at least in the store the 3D stations (showing 2D content) look sharper and higher contrast.
2) 60" is plenty, 70" is nice but not necessary and actually maybe too big.
3) The KB & Internet access is useless to me (I have a mac mini that I will be using). If Costco sold the non-Kb/Internet version I will get that version instead.
4) Everything is going through a received and audio will be handled externally, I don't even need speakers on the TV.

Any input and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 04:46 AM

Liked: 12
I have the Samsung UNES7150 so far I'm very pleased with the set. The motion control is pretty useless as is but I set it to off or clear and can see no need for it no blurring, judder etc... It can be used on some content without major skips but on some (House Hunters) it makes it unwatchable. I set it to off and watched the playoff football game between NO and SF and the picture had no motion issues. Still dialing in the picture but standard mode is pretty good out of the box.

3D is no big deal for me either but as a Directv customer keep in mind they have some 3D programing and it is somewhat entertaining. I use my Yamaha receiver for audio 90% of the time and have seen no lipsync issues.

Costco's 90 day return policy is very nice, I hope I don't use it but it is great for peace of mind if you change your mind after you get a set home.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM

I purchased the UN60ES7150 at Costco and in the long run returned it. Picture quality once the unit was home was a major issue. At times the picture was wonderful. Other times there was noise and artifacts seen. I tried contacting Samsung customer support and 3 times they disconnected. I got annoyed and called Costco who has a back door number to contact Samsung. Once I finally got to 2nd line support (Thank you Costco) the guy spent 45 mins on the phone. He logged into the TV, he could see the same issue I was seeing, This was good. He was able to improve the picture but not to the level I would expect for a TV in this price range. He did try to place blame on the incoming signal but I find it hard to believe that Over the air, Bluray and Satelitte all show the same signal issue. I decided to monitor this since he was able to make a big improvement. However it took over a week of adjusting and contacting Samsung to get this far. I then started using the Smart TV apps. Their apps are pretty much useless. The Facebook app was the worst and kept having issues logging in. I once again called Samsung. I suspected I was doing something wrong. I called and spoke to someone who sent me on to the smart TV group. After 30 mins on hold they disconnected me. It was late on a friday night so I decided to call again Saturday morning. When I called Saturday I had to re-explain everything (this is alway the case with Samsung, even if you have case #, I think it may be their way of avoiding calls)
I was then told someone would call me back in 24-48 hrs. I told the person not acceptable and that Samsung has TERRIBLE customer service. After what I paid for this over priced TV, someone could answer a freaking call. I told them forget it I'll call Costco. After I hung up I decided not to call costco. I debated purchasing Samsung in the 1st place based on the total disrepect I had in the past with 3 Samsung phones ( I no longer have a Samsung phone)
I packed up the TV and took it back to Costco. I called LG based on my past experience with my other LG TV. They answered right away. I talked to a knowledgeable person within 3 mins. Told them the 2 options I was looking at (LM8600 and LM9600) got what I feel were quick and honest answers. Went to Fry's, purchased the LM8600 (for $1000 less) Only issue was I went from the 60 in Samsung to the 55 in LG however the 5 inches turns out to be not that big of a difference. I got the LG home followed the expert setup and in 10 minutes had a picture that was perfect. No distortion or artifacts. I setup the apps with no issues and now 1.5 weeks later the TV still looks great, No Issues.
I think the Samsung TV had potential but to spend over a week to get a picture that was so-so and having to deal with a customer support that truly is poor makes the price a totally poor value. To me once they have your money they could care less
One final note. Samsung did return the call from Saturday, 6 days laters not 1 to 2 days as I was told. Totally unacceptable and shows Samsungs disregard for addressing customer conerns.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetport View Post

I purchased the UN60ES7150 at Costco and in the long run returned it. Picture quality once the unit was home was a major issue. At times the picture was wonderful. Other times there was noise and artifacts seen. I tried contacting Samsung customer support and 3 times they disconnected. I got annoyed and called Costco who has a back door number to contact Samsung. Once I finally got to 2nd line support (Thank you Costco) the guy spent 45 mins on the phone. He logged into the TV, he could see the same issue I was seeing, This was good. He was able to improve the picture but not to the level I would expect for a TV in this price range. He did try to place blame on the incoming signal but I find it hard to believe that Over the air, Bluray and Satelitte all show the same signal issue. I decided to monitor this since he was able to make a big improvement. However it took over a week of adjusting and contacting Samsung to get this far. I then started using the Smart TV apps. Their apps are pretty much useless. The Facebook app was the worst and kept having issues logging in. I once again called Samsung. I suspected I was doing something wrong. I called and spoke to someone who sent me on to the smart TV group. After 30 mins on hold they disconnected me. It was late on a friday night so I decided to call again Saturday morning. When I called Saturday I had to re-explain everything (this is alway the case with Samsung, even if you have case #, I think it may be their way of avoiding calls)
I was then told someone would call me back in 24-48 hrs. I told the person not acceptable and that Samsung has TERRIBLE customer service. After what I paid for this over priced TV, someone could answer a freaking call. I told them forget it I'll call Costco. After I hung up I decided not to call costco. I debated purchasing Samsung in the 1st place based on the total disrepect I had in the past with 3 Samsung phones ( I no longer have a Samsung phone)
I packed up the TV and took it back to Costco. I called LG based on my past experience with my other LG TV. They answered right away. I talked to a knowledgeable person within 3 mins. Told them the 2 options I was looking at (LM8600 and LM9600) got what I feel were quick and honest answers. Went to Fry's, purchased the LM8600 (for $1000 less) Only issue was I went from the 60 in Samsung to the 55 in LG however the 5 inches turns out to be not that big of a difference. I got the LG home followed the expert setup and in 10 minutes had a picture that was perfect. No distortion or artifacts. I setup the apps with no issues and now 1.5 weeks later the TV still looks great, No Issues.
I think the Samsung TV had potential but to spend over a week to get a picture that was so-so and having to deal with a customer support that truly is poor makes the price a totally poor value. To me once they have your money they could care less
One final note. Samsung did return the call from Saturday, 6 days laters not 1 to 2 days as I was told. Totally unacceptable and shows Samsungs disregard for addressing customer conerns.

I can't blame you for dumping Samsung after that customer service experience. My 7150 is great so far, LG8600 is top alternate and at $500 less when I read posts like yours I get tempted to switch, but honestly it seems a toss up as to picture and quality control issues with both LG and Samsung. Please post how it goes and enjoy your new tv these purchases should be fun, not a pain in the ass.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I still have not pulled the trigger, but I'm more and more leaning towards the panasonic 55".
Customer support is a very big issue with me, and Samsung has fallen further behind with what I have heard.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aram535 View Post

I still have not pulled the trigger, but I'm more and more leaning towards the panasonic 55".
Customer support is a very big issue with me, and Samsung has fallen further behind with what I have heard.

I can understand leaning towards Panasonic for their reportedly good customer support and high reliability rankings by CR but their LEDs seem to get poor reviews by the so called experts. Customer reviews seem pretty good though. Good luck!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think the "experts" sometimes are a little too scientific. Do I really care that the black level is 50 and not 62? (just made up numbers) If it doesn't distract and I don't see white globs on a dark scene, I'm okay with it being not as black as it should. With the costco 90 day return I think I can try it out and see how well it does in my room.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM

I had the very same experience - almost eerily similar! I purchased the 60" 7150F at Costco this past Friday, set it up using the Hopper HD DVR receiver and the picture is horrible. I tried every setting, spent $70 on a new HDMI cable at Best Buy, called Samsung and got nothing resolved.

Issues - Ghosting is really bad on multiple networks. HGTV, TNT, ESPN, etc...it's bad on any HD network.
Samsung's customer service is pathetic - exact same experience the other poster had - the guy had me go to a test screen and look at some still photo. I kept telling him a still photo is not the issue and he blamed it on the receiver and quality of the picture being channeled into the TV.
I have tried every setting in the menu list to fix the issue and some are unwatchable. The vibrant setting is way too bright. The Movie setting is probably the most muted of all and it at least seems to pull some of the grid lines/grain out of the picture.

Horrible experience all around and I have no idea why Samsung is so highly rated on Consumer Reports. I'm boxing it up and returning it.

Any other recommendations are much appreciated - I would like to stick with the 60" screen based on the size of the media room.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetport View Post

Get your TV calibrated....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #10 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatD11AG View Post

I had the very same experience - almost eerily similar! I purchased the 60" 7150F at Costco this past Friday, set it up using the Hopper HD DVR receiver and the picture is horrible. I tried every setting, spent $70 on a new HDMI cable at Best Buy, called Samsung and got nothing resolved.
Issues - Ghosting is really bad on multiple networks. HGTV, TNT, ESPN, etc...it's bad on any HD network.
Samsung's customer service is pathetic - exact same experience the other poster had - the guy had me go to a test screen and look at some still photo. I kept telling him a still photo is not the issue and he blamed it on the receiver and quality of the picture being channeled into the TV.
I have tried every setting in the menu list to fix the issue and some are unwatchable. The vibrant setting is way too bright. The Movie setting is probably the most muted of all and it at least seems to pull some of the grid lines/grain out of the picture.
Horrible experience all around and I have no idea why Samsung is so highly rated on Consumer Reports. I'm boxing it up and returning it.
Any other recommendations are much appreciated - I would like to stick with the 60" screen based on the size of the media room.

What tv did you replace? Did you have it connected by hdmi? In other words are you sure your source is solid? What are your settings? My 55" 7150 had a great picture. Maybe you got a defective tv. You may want to return it. All the tv manufactures have issues but a bad customer service response can make or break a customer's ultimate satisfaction. Good luck.

I ended up returning mine, primarily as a value decision. I put $750 back in my pocket and bought a 55" Panasonic ST50. If I tried another LED I would try the LG 7600 or 8600 as they can be had for $1400 +-$100,t unfortunately they do not make a 60" in these models.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Wow, I am having the exact same problem. Some shows are perfect when there is no movement, but then there is some type of odd distortion jitternes. I didn't see any of this when watching a 3D bluray so I am not so sure if this is or isn't related to the signal. At first I thought these issues were related to the TV being a LED vs Plasma but others do seem to think that LED can give you a great picture without blur.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Shouldn't these TV's have no skips? I have the motion items turned on and I have yet to see a show without a skip. It's just more noticeable in some shows vs others.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 AM

I since went to a web site, I think it was called Tweakmytv.com or something like that. I couldn't find my exact set online but put in settings for another Samsung model and the picture issues went away. Just don't know why they don't set their default settings to these settings.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Picture quality with my 60 inch 7150 bought from Costco is amazing. My only problems are the sound quality and hub flashing randomly on screen.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 60 Inch 3d Led Built In Wifi Smart Led Tv Un60es7150
Gear in this thread