Anyone have experience with ordering a TV from Amazon? Also how does the return process work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I am currently looking at buying the Panasonic 65GT50 (or maybe the VT) and have been set to buy it at BB .... I saw that Amazon has the same TV (Sold direct from Amazon, not 3rd party) for $200 less plus there is no tax from amazon ... so its a savings of about $425 from what BB cost would be since its the 200 more plus about 250 in tax (and they both have to ship since my local BB doesn't carry these models in store).

Now I wanted to know who out there has used Amazon for their TV order and how it went? Did it arrive fast and how was it delivered, was it set-up etc etc. .... plus I am worried that I may not be happy with my purchase and I have to go through a whole issue with returning the TV ... do I have to pay for return shipping, Does someone pick it up, do I have to take it somewhere to have it returned? Anyone have any previous experience in returning a large TV like this to Amazon?

I have ordered tons of stuff from them and have always been pleased, but this is a huge $2500 order and this concerns me a bit on how it will arrive and how it would have to be returned (if it does, maybe it won't need to be)

If anyone has ordered a TV from them and has experience in how the delivery went and the return process I would love to find out how it went it went and works.

Thanks so much for all the info you can provide for me on this subject. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon is one of the few online retailer where return of TVs is easy. Just call them & explain the problem. Either you can return or they will send free replacement and pick up the old. I had to do it for my 55" Toshiba TV and it went very well.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So if for some reason I am not pleased with the TV then I certain amount time to return the TV? And if I am returning and not exchanging how do I return it and am I responsible for return shipping or do they provide a RMA and a return shipping label? I would hate to think what a 65" 122lb. TV would cost 'me' to ship back. :/

Well it's nice to hear they are good place to order form and it seems like I am taken care of if I need and exchange as well ... my concern now is the return process.

Also how your experiences with the delivery? Do they deliver and install or just threshold delivery?

Thanks so much for the info. smile.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Why didn't I think of this ... LOL .... Thanks for the link

Looks like it's free return shipping which is great!

Here is the info copied from there site:

TVs purchased from Amazon.com, or from a seller but fulfilled by Amazon, will have FREE Return Shipping (via the Online Returns Center) up to 30 days from the date you receive the TV.

The TV must be in new condition with the original packaging and accessories. Products missing the serial number or UPC cannot be accepted; refunds will not issue refunds for such items.

Amazon.com and most sellers accept returns for large TVs that are shipped LTL or freight shipped via specialty shippers. If you need to return a TV that was shipped via a specialty shipper, visit the Online Returns Center and request the return. You will be sent instructions for returning the TV.

For all other returns, please visit the Online Returns Center. To view a seller's return policy, click Return items in the Online Returns Center, then click the "seller profile" link to reach the seller's storefront. From there, you can read more about the seller and its return
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have purchased two TV's from Amazon. The first had a defect and a replacement was sent right away. My second was a 42" about six weeks ago and it arrived in good condition. Up and running, and I would buy a TV from them again. Watch the prices because they do seem to fluctuate.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

Watch the prices because they do seem to fluctuate.

Does anyone know if in the 30 day period the price goes down will they credit me the difference?

Also wanting some feedback from anyone who has done a straight return and not exchange? Wanting to know how the return process worked (maybe it's the same as the exchange ... the bad tv needs to be returned ... how is this done?)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if in the 30 day period the price goes down will they credit me the difference?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 AM

I bought my 60-835 sharp from amazon, it arrived about 3 days later via freight truck in perfect condition.

For what its worth, I would put my trust in amazon ten fold over bb when it comes to handling warranties or exchanges. They have always gone above and beyond to fix any problems right away with almost zero headache.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
falconman,
yes they will give you a credit should the price drop. the last time it happened to me, i didn't have to ask or even know that the price went down. just got an email saying the price dropped and I'd been credited. +10000 what muzzy said. amazon is my go to vender. No issues, customer's always right, etc. Don't overthink it.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

falconman,
yes they will give you a credit should the price drop. the last time it happened to me, i didn't have to ask or even know that the price went down. just got an email saying the price dropped and I'd been credited. +10000 what muzzy said. amazon is my go to vender. No issues, customer's always right, etc. Don't overthink it.

Awesome! Great to hear ... I think when I pull the trigger on this Amazon will be the place I will go ... if the customer service is this good with such a great return / exchange policy and a price like this ... it's almost a no brainer!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Amazon has a 14day price match period, if its an authorized dealer on a list they have - look for that info at their website.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM

I did an amazon TV return once and it went very smoothly.
I called their special toll-free phone number for large item returns and they assigned an RMA and said the shipping company would call me in a few days to setup the pickup.
The shipping company did call and arranged a pickup a couple days later and showed up right at the start time of the time window too.
I had the TV all packed up like it was new and the guy opened it up to inspect it and I plugged it in to show it would turn on OK.
Then we checked off an inspection checklist amazon has them do, no cosmetic defects or anything like that.
Signed the paperwork and got a copy including the number I could use to track the return shipping on the shipper's website back to the main Amazon center.
Packed the TV back up and we carried the TV out to the truck and he left.
I tracked the return shipping of the TV and took almost a week to be delivered to amazon and later that same day I received one email confirming the return from amazon and another email a few hours after that confirming the full refund to my credit card would be processed.
A couple days later the refund credit appeared in my credit card account.
The total time from my first call to initiate the TV return and getting the credit on my card was 12 days, that was over two weekends too.

There was no return shipping charge or any restocking fee, I got 100% back, much better than many retail store return policies on TVs.
I give amazon a big thumbs up and recommend them highly now for buying large HDTVs with their excellent return policy, you can feel secure if you need to return one.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

I did an amazon TV return once and it went very smoothly.
I called their special toll-free phone number for large item returns and they assigned an RMA and said the shipping company would call me in a few days to setup the pickup.
The shipping company did call and arranged a pickup a couple days later and showed up right at the start time of the time window too.
I had the TV all packed up like it was new and the guy opened it up to inspect it and I plugged it in to show it would turn on OK.
Then we checked off an inspection checklist amazon has them do, no cosmetic defects or anything like that.
Signed the paperwork and got a copy including the number I could use to track the return shipping on the shipper's website back to the main Amazon center.
Packed the TV back up and we carried the TV out to the truck and he left.
I tracked the return shipping of the TV and took almost a week to be delivered to amazon and later that same day I received one email confirming the return from amazon and another email a few hours after that confirming the full refund to my credit card would be processed.
A couple days later the refund credit appeared in my credit card account.
The total time from my first call to initiate the TV return and getting the credit on my card was 12 days, that was over two weekends too.
There was no return shipping charge or any restocking fee, I got 100% back, much better than many retail store return policies on TVs.
I give amazon a big thumbs up and recommend them highly now for buying large HDTVs with their excellent return policy, you can feel secure if you need to return one.

You are the man .... this is exactly what I was looking for ,,,, awesome to know that they will come and pick up the tv and I don;t have to take it anywhere!!!

Another good to know is to not fully pack it since they need to inspect the tv before taking. I will just be sure to maybe take of the stand and have it ready to be packed but also leave it in a spot where it can be plugged in and turned on.

This was perfect information bro ... thanks so much.

I feel even better about buying from Amazon now.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:

You are the man .... this is exactly what I was looking for ,,,, awesome to know that they will come and pick up the tv and I don;t have to take it anywhere!!!
Another good to know is to not fully pack it since they need to inspect the tv before taking. I will just be sure to maybe take of the stand and have it ready to be packed but also leave it in a spot where it can be plugged in and turned on.
This was perfect information bro ... thanks so much.
I feel even better about buying from Amazon now.

Before pickup, its best to mostly have it all packed up including all the accessories and stand parts.
I took digital camera photos when I first received the TV from amazon before completely unpacking it to know how to put it all back in the box if needed.
To inspect the TV, it was in the lower part of the box in the bottom styrofoam pieces and could plug it in and test it right there. The panel itself would stand up in the bottom of the box, but I leaned it against a couch in the living room to be safe leaving room to plug in the power cord in the back.
After that, we only had to put the clear plastic cover over the screen and the top styrofoam pieces and lower the top part of the box over it, then close up the box with four plastic pieces near the bottom on both front and back sides.
Only took a couple minutes if it was prepared in advance.

You don't need to use the remote to check it either like that, there is a power button, volume and channel buttons on the lower back side of the panel too.
Beforehand I also used the setup option to reset all settings to factory default which I recommend, puts it back in initial setup mode like brand new.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ONE MORE QUESTION .....

When ordering there are two option Free Super Saver delivery that's say 5-8 days ... and Standard Delivery and when choosing that it's like $70 for delivery and gives you a delivered by date (1 week away), plus when you choose that option it says someone will be calling you to schedule delivery.

How have some of you ordered your TV ... Free Super Saver or the standard shipping?

If it comes Free does it get delivered the same just longer? I see some say that they had someone deliver and bring in the house and help set-up the new tv ... do you only get this when you choose standard delivery where someone calls you to set up delivery?

Wondering if paying the $77 for standard delivery over the free super saver shipping has any other benefits other than maybe arriving sooner (but free says 5-8 days and the standard shows it will be delivered "By" and the date is exactly one week from the day you order).

Also to I thought about paying for a membership for Amazon Prime, but there is no delivery option on this TV for amazon Prime 2 day delivery???

ANY help you can give me on these delivery options would be great.

Thanks again for all the info guys. smile.gif
Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 AM

What model TV are you looking at?
Most brand new amazon HDTVs have free shipping thru a speciality shipper that normally takes only 3-4 business days, you can setup a date and time period for an appointment when you order the TV thats what I did on mine.
In my case I ordered on a Monday and the earliest available appointment that was on their list was for Friday of that week, with 3 hour time periods to pick up from.

On the Amazon page for the new HDTV model it should show this:
"This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Free 30 Day TV Returns" with a clickable "Details" link for more detailed info.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What model TV are you looking at?
Most brand new amazon HDTVs have free shipping thru a speciality shipper that normally takes only 3-4 business days, you can setup a date and time period for an appointment when you order the TV thats what I did on mine.
In my case I ordered on a Monday and the earliest available appointment that was on their list was for Friday of that week, with 3 hour time periods to pick up from.
On the Amazon page for the new HDTV model it should show this:
"This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Free 30 Day TV Returns" with a clickable "Details" link for more detailed info.

Here is the one I am probably gonna get ...........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VLAY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are only two options during checkout ...............

Choose a shipping speed:
* FREE Super Saver Shipping (5-8 business days)
* Standard Delivery: Carrier will contact you for scheduling an appointment --get it Monday, August 13
The carrier will call you at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Free delivery is of course Free ... the standard delivery is $76.97

Not sure what is what here and if the Standard $77 delivery is gonna already take up to 7 business days why would I not go with the free if it's up to 8 day?

The one thing I wonder is if the standard delivery is the only one that delivers to the door and helps with set-up etc. etc. and the free is just ... knock knock .. sign here ... bye.

Anyone know what I should do here or have any background on these TV delivery options?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It also shows this like you had stated on the main page of this listing .............

To see our price, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later. Why don't we show the price?
This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Free 30 Day TV Returns.

When I click on details it shows this ...............

TV Low Price Guarantee
We are working hard to make sure that our prices are the best around. If you find a qualifying site that offers a lower price within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we will credit your original payment method taking any differences in shipping and promotions into account. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your order, let us know and we will refund you the difference as well.

Enhanced Delivery
For this TV, we offer free enhanced delivery through one of our specialty shippers. A representative of a common carrier will deliver your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation, and dispose of all packaging material.

Free 30 Day TV Returns
TVs purchased and fulfilled by Amazon will have free return shipping (via our online Returns center) up to 30 days from the date you receive the TV.

SO .... under the "Enhanced Delivery" it shows this TV qualifies for free enhanced delivery through s specialty shipper ...... Why would I pay $77 for the regular shipping? Is this free shipping option the "Free Super Saver Shipping" option during checkout?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:31 AM

For the TV I got from amazon I got the free shipping and was able to select a date/time period for delivery and they brought the tv into my living room unpacked it and we plugged it in and tested it.
I didn't need them to put the stand on at that time, but they probably would have done so if asked.
The larger TV models like a 65" may take a few days longer to deliver due to lower stock issues compared to the smaller models like I got.

You can sign up for a free month trial of amazon prime and cancel before the month is up and not be charged, but still have access to the prime benefits for that month during the trial period. Its worth it to try it out if you are buying one or more big items.

I'd recommend giving an amazon rep a call for more questions specifically on ordering and delivery options on the exact TV model you are looking for, they are very friendly and I found them great to deal with myself.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The delivery date on the Free Super Saver Shipping is just an estimate depending on where you live. Since I live in Indianapolis where there are four Amazon distribution centers in the area, my purchases almost always arrive in a day or two and I've NEVER paid for delivery. And, I've also purchased two TV's which were delivered promptly and in excellent condition. They called in advance to set the time window for delivery, brought the TV's inside, unboxed them, and set them up giving me time to attach the antenna/cable and make sure everything worked before they left. Great service from a great company.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM

I ordered my third big TV from Amazon last week and received it about 19 hours after I placed the order eek.gif
I was so not ready biggrin.gif
I had Prime anyway, but still thought it was outstanding service.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know you get extra service with Amazon Prime like free 2 days shipping and what not but there is no option during checkout to utelize Amazon Prime ... so I don't think that in this case that service would be beneficial to this purchase.

Any thoughts on the prime and how it would apply to this tv purchase?

I just want to make sure I pick the correct option here and do the right thing.

I may give them a call for further info as well before I place my order ... I think I might pull the trigger on this tomm.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 279
You may have to pay the delivery people extra to help you unpack and lift on stand. Amazon doesn't have white glove delivery anymore. It all depends on who delivers the tv. Some of these guys don't want to do any more than just drop it off at your door. From there you are on your own.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

You may have to pay the delivery people extra to help you unpack and lift on stand. Amazon doesn't have white glove delivery anymore. It all depends on who delivers the tv. Some of these guys don't want to do any more than just drop it off at your door. From there you are on your own.

But they are suppose to stay and verify the TV is working correct? I will not take delivery for a huge ticket item like this without myself verifying that it is in working order!

I know they will exchange it regardless but I think if they take the tv back with them if there is an issue with it then that would make things a lot easier on the exchange.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

But they are suppose to stay and verify the TV is working correct? I will not take delivery for a huge ticket item like this without myself verifying that it is in working order!
I know they will exchange it regardless but I think if they take the tv back with them if there is an issue with it then that would make things a lot easier on the exchange.

Some will help you carry it in and set it up. Some will not, unless you give a few extra bucks. Most will bring into the house, etc, but be prepared if they try and make an excuse. It's not Amazon being the problem, but some of the delivery companies they use. They likely will change their tune if you refuse to accept and sign as they have to haul it back and fill out the paperwork. Amazon is still the best to work with.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Some will help you carry it in and set it up. Some will not, unless you give a few extra bucks. Most will bring into the house, etc, but be prepared if they try and make an excuse. It's not Amazon being the problem, but some of the delivery companies they use. They likely will change their tune if you refuse to accept and sign as they have to haul it back and fill out the paperwork. Amazon is still the best to work with.

I don't care to much if they put it all together or anything ... in fact I prefer to just do my all of the putting together myself (some people are just to fast and scare me with the handling of items like this) and just have them help me put it on the TV stand and I will do everything else .... once I hook it up to the on HDMI cable and test the picture for stuff then I will be good to go.

I just need them to bring it in my house stay for a few minutes while the stand it put on and help me put it on the stand and that's it ... But ya I will not sign for it At All before I can hook it up and test it ... no way I will take delivery on something that is not working (you never know what can be said to where the exchange may be an issue ... I'm just to worried when it comes to stuff like that with such a high priced ticket item).

So looks like the Free shipping and the paid Standard Shipping is really no different ... might just have wait a couple days more ... and I can wait a couple more days to save $77 bucks!

Well from all I hear Amazon is a great choice to go with and being that I haven't really heard anything bad and it's all been good and they are hundreds lower than anywhere else this will be where Iw ill order from.

One Last Question ..........

I know most all manufacturers will only honor the 1 year warranty if you purchase the item form an authorized dealer .... is Amazon and authorized dealer for all the TV's it sells? and for myself I just need to know they are an Authorized Dealer for Panasonic.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 AM

Yes Amazon is an authorized dealer for all the major TV manufacturers, don't worry about that, they are one of their biggest dealers.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes Amazon is an authorized dealer for all the major TV manufacturers, don't worry about that, they are one of their biggest dealers.

Brisco .. you have been VERY informative on my question bro ... I do appreciate all the help here!

Looks like I am good to go and Amazon is a great place to buy even this big stuff from.

My TV will be ordered first thing Monday.

Thanks again for all the help and hopefully I don't of anything else. smile.gif
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well this has nothing to do with the Amazon questions but I found that the Panasonic has a MAJOR flaw in "Image Retention" ... so now I am on the hunt for something different .... hopefully Amazon will have the TV I end up with as well.

Sure wish They would come out with a 65-70" LED with rear Full-Array and local dimming .... there's really only two ... the Sharp Elite and Sony XBR and I can afford either .

Amazing how I bought a Vizio with all these features and looks GREAT 2 years ago from Costco for $1,600 ... but now there is nothing .... all edge -lit junk EVERYWHERE.

This new TV hunt is Killing Me!!! mad.gif