Will Sony Bravia 46" EX720 HDTV USB port power an amped headset? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hearing of certain frequencies is slowly failing so I'm wanting to buy a Turtle Beach DSS2 amplifier, (with bass & treble tone controls) so as to plug in a stereo headset, to use with my Sony Bravia 46" EX720 HDTV (with two USB ports and an optical out port). The DSS2 amp is primarily designed for PC gamers and is powered by USB.

I presently use my EX720's headset-out port but the volume is fixed and I need more treble for some English accent movies.

I'm concerned whether or not my EX720 USB ports will power such a device.

Suggestions appreciated,

Kerry

Equipment:

Sony Bravia 46" EX720 HDTV
Moxi 2-Tuner DVR recorder
Cisco Tuning Adapter with cable card (it has a USB cable to the Moxi)
Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray DVD Player

Note: The DVD player also has a USB out-port but I don't know if it's powered when I'm not using the player. (i.e. Is it always on?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
How much power does that headset require? I'm not sure about any tv's power output. But if it's a problem, you can get a cheap powered usb hub for a few bucks, and use that to power the device.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea sitlet.

Thanks muchly,

Kerry
post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Turtle beach site says •Power: USB (5V @ 380mA max). I believe USB 2.0 ports are supposed to all be able to output 500mA, so you should be fine.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Beerstalker,

I asked Samson at TB and got: "The DSS2 can be powered by *any* USB port that is designed to power peripheral devices. A review of the information that Sony provides on their website regarding their Bravia televisions would indicate that the USB port is meant for playing back media from USB storage devices. I did not see any indication that the USB port on the TV is designed for anything other than that."

It appears he believes that Sony's EX720's USB ports are not designed to power TB's DSS2. So I'm confused.

I'm checking out stand alone USB hubs that are powered by a 110v powercube transformer.

Thanks,

Kerry
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Update: In the meantime I"m checking to see if the USB port on my Sony BDP-S470 Blue-ray DVD Player has power to it even if the DVD is not turned on.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

The Turtle beach site says •Power: USB (5V @ 380mA max). I believe USB 2.0 ports are supposed to all be able to output 500mA, so you should be fine.

You're right. The Sony's USB port does power the DSS2. I'm testing it now but can't totally recommend it for other HDTV users for two reasons.

1) Even though the DSS2 has a volume control I wish it were a smidgen louder. I'm playing with the 7 preset equalizer settings to see if I can find one that handles most movies.
2) The included optical cable (that plugs into the Sony HDTV and the amp) is only 5' long so I can't have the cigarette-pack size amp next to me as I'm viewing (gotta get up to switch the EQ).

It could be that the impedance of my cheap Sony headset causes the volume to be not quite high enough. The surround sound and stereo effects are very good. One nice thing (beside not adding to my electric bill) is the amp shuts off when I turn off the TV.

I've tried switching the input from optical-in to digital-in but don't notice a change in volume.

This said, unless I can find another such amp I plan on keeping the DSS2 (Amazon, $73.58 w/free s&h).

I'm presently shopping for a 5.1 Dolby surround sound wired headset (without mike). Any suggestions? I'd like to try in-ear buds but worry that I might not find a pair that both optimizes the DSS2 and feels comfortable—so returning them might be a problem. We only have Radio Shack here on the Big Isle.

Thanks,

Kerry
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I bought a pair of Etymotic HF5 ear buds. Coupled with the DDS2 amp I now have very good volume with the option of 7 preset Equalizer settings (bass, treble, etc. ).

I can recommend this combination for those who have lost the ability (lost some from a too close grenade in Vietnam) to hear certain high frequencies.

I plan on getting a 12' optical cable so that I can have the cigarette pack size DDS2 (with it's volume and EQ controls) next to me on the couch.

Thanks all for your support.

Kerry
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page