Looking for LED back lit w/ local dimming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm needing some suggestions for my first purchase of an HDTV. PQ is most important, I dont care about apps and 3D capability. I do care about the thickness, color, and finish of the surround (bezzel) but not the thickness of the TV itself. There for I would like the eveness and contrast of back lit and local dimming. It'll be in a dark bedroom straight on from 5'-12' so off angle isn't really important. It'll be connected to a HTPC via GTX 670 gfx card as well as a BD. I'm a big FPS gamer so input lag is something of concern. Not sure, but does bluray require 120hz for good PQ since its 24p?

Ideally I dont want to spend more than $1,000. I was considering the samsung un40eh6000 but would prefer something with local dimming. I'm going window shopping tomorrow at BB, sears, and possibly walmart. I'll see what catches my eye. I figured I should ask around b4 I make a purchase.

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Local dimming LED models are extreme high end only, not in the $1000 area unfortunately.
The UNxxEH6000 series is good for the $1000 price range though it doesn't have local dimming.
The edge-lit LED models cost more.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

The 40 EH is in the 650-750 range? Does anyone know if the ES models have local dimming?
post #4 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPar_Kid View Post

The 40 EH is in the 650-750 range? Does anyone know if the ES models have local dimming?

If by "local dimming" you mean the ability to dim the backlighting to varying degrees behind different areas of the screen, no current Samsung set has this capability. Their higher end models tout a software based "micro dimming" to exaggerate blacks in combination with dimming all the leds the same amount during dark scenes.

Steve S.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 PM

The only full array with local dimming models that I am aware of are the 60 and 70 Elite models by sharp.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

If by "local dimming" you mean the ability to dim the backlighting to varying degrees behind different areas of the screen, no current Samsung set has this capability. Their higher end models tout a software based "micro dimming" to exaggerate blacks in combination with dimming all the leds the same amount during dark scenes.

to elaborate, all Samsungs have auto-dimming, which dims the whole CCFL or LED backlight together in dark scenes based on the APL (average picture level) of the scene

the higher end ES models have different versions of "micro dimming", which is basically an advanced form of dynamic contrast/color/sharpness picture enhancement (a gimmick that doesn't have any effect on the LED's themselves)

so, no 2012 Samsungs have local dimming of any kind except for the upcoming ES9000 (which won't have many LD zones anyways and is still edge-lit, so don't expect this local dimming to do much, kinda like with the Panny WT50)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM

To my knowledge only the very expensive high end Sony LED and the Sharp Elite LED sets have local sector dimming now.
They are now a rare, expensive breed...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

To my knowledge only the very expensive high end Sony LED and the Sharp Elite LED sets have local sector dimming now.
They are now a rare, expensive breed...

a real shame given that only full-array local dimming LED-LCDs can go head to head with the best plasmas in terms of blacks and contrast ratios

without local dimming the LCD panel itself is the only thing that determines how good the blacks and CR's are (I don't count auto-dimming since it makes everything darker together, which doesn't improve CR at all)

post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I wish they would start focusing on the quality like they did a few years ago instead of this crap half in think edge-lit junk!

I have a Vizio 55" XVT Full-Array Local Dimming set that I still LOVE .... But, I'm in need of a larger set now and want to be in the 65-70" Ballpark and there is nothing! (except the crazy expensive Elite and Sony's set)

TV Makers need to get back the basics and not save money and think thin is in cause it's not!

And I had read also that Vizio's upcoming sets are now all gonna be Edge-lit and no full-array anymore ... Wow, what a joke now a days.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

I wish they would start focusing on the quality like they did a few years ago instead of this crap half in think edge-lit junk!
I have a Vizio 55" XVT Full-Array Local Dimming set that I still LOVE .... But, I'm in need of a larger set now and want to be in the 65-70" Ballpark and there is nothing! (except the crazy expensive Elite and Sony's set)
TV Makers need to get back the basics and not save money and think thin is in cause it's not!
And I had read also that Vizio's upcoming sets are now all gonna be Edge-lit and no full-array anymore ... Wow, what a joke now a days.

Apparently the thinness seems to be the biggest selling point now, so the manufacturers concentrate on that more than picture quality.
The small number of high end sets don't make enough profit compared to higher volume of low end models too.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page