My Ethical Dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my story its sad but true …

If you recognize the lyric as belonging to Dion and the Belmont's “Runaroud Sue” you won't be surprised to learn I recently signed up for Medicare. I'm fixed income which has a bearing on my issue.

The old TV crapped out and I decided its time for a new set. In a way I'm not sad to see it go; I'm a Mythtv-er and the VX37L doesn't have an overscan compensation feature making it necessary to hand configure xorg.conf. I researched options available on my budget and purchased a 43” LED TCL (http://www.amazon.com/LE43FHDF3300TA-43-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007E80K56/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

The TCL is free of dead pixels and for the most part meets my needs. There is an issue about which I seek consultation and advice. It has a roughly four inch semicircle I can best describe as discolored on the upper edge center left. Its difficult to see when seated directly in front of the screen but fairly obvious from the an angle. Alas, the man cave is configured so the couch I usually populate is about 45 degrees from a line drawn perpendicular to the center of the screen.

My question is this: Is this the sort of minor flaw one should expect and just live with in a modest TV or worthy of requesting a replacement? I don't want to run the risk of receiving a set with worse problems nor do I want to abuse Amazon's very generous return policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sir,

Request a replacement and don't think twice. That is not acceptable and is a major flaw. This is exactly what the policy is for.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanfirst View Post

Here's my story its sad but true …
If you recognize the lyric as belonging to Dion and the Belmont's “Runaroud Sue” you won't be surprised to learn I recently signed up for Medicare. I'm fixed income which has a bearing on my issue.
The old TV crapped out and I decided its time for a new set. In a way I'm not sad to see it go; I'm a Mythtv-er and the VX37L doesn't have an overscan compensation feature making it necessary to hand configure xorg.conf. I researched options available on my budget and purchased a 43” LED TCL (http://www.amazon.com/LE43FHDF3300TA-43-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007E80K56/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
The TCL is free of dead pixels and for the most part meets my needs. There is an issue about which I seek consultation and advice. It has a roughly four inch semicircle I can best describe as discolored on the upper edge center left. Its difficult to see when seated directly in front of the screen but fairly obvious from the an angle. Alas, the man cave is configured so the couch I usually populate is about 45 degrees from a line drawn perpendicular to the center of the screen.
My question is this: Is this the sort of minor flaw one should expect and just live with in a modest TV or worthy of requesting a replacement? I don't want to run the risk of receiving a set with worse problems nor do I want to abuse Amazon's very generous return policy.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I'm genuinely disgusted by people who return perfectly good sets because they don't meet some ridiculously high expectations. There's no such thing as a perfect set.

You, sir, have a genuinely defective set and should not hesitate to return it. Perhaps it would be wise to think twice about getting another of the same make and model, but one more before you give up would not be beyond the pale.

BTW, I instantly recognized the lyrics.

Steve S.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the informative and helpful comments. I've decided to return the set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page