Samsung UN65EH6000 (Costco) LED TV ... Any Hands On Feedback? Whats Your Thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11770670&whse=BC&Ne=5000135+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|2341&N=4047300%204294891953&Mo=26&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Ok I have been trying to find the right TV ... I currently have a 55: Vizio XVT Full-Array LED with Local Dimming and I still love it .... but's it time for new and most of all "Bigger"

I have bought the 70" Sharp 847 Edge-lit and it had a bad picture with the worst thing of all for me ... Horrible Ghosting / Halo Effect during sports ... I could just not watch anything without seeing this weird halo around their bodies and it drove me Nuts ... had it a week and it was returned this last Thursday.

I have researched the heck out of the Panasonic 65VT50 (and GT/ST) and though it is the highest rated for PQ ... there are WAY to many post out there saying they have major burn-in ... and with my sports habit and ESPN ... I would have logo burned in in no time.

Now initially I wanted 3D and some Apps .... but I can live without 3D for a GREAT picture and I have so many things that have apps I really don't need em (TiVo,Bluray,WD Live).

So I would really like to find a set thats basic and has the same rear Full-Array LED lighting as my current LED .... seems like thats something only found in high end units now a days since they are moving to this edge-lit junk that doesn not look good and makes the tv thin ... guess thin bad picture is in.

This seems like a TV that gives me 10" more of screen ... which is basically what I'm looking for (wanted 70" but the sharp almost seemed to big so I think 65" at 10' away should be great) with the same rear full-array LED as my current Vizio XVT and none of the other junk that bloats these tv's no a days.

I can't find to many reviews other than on Samsungs site which are all 5 stars and on Amazon (but these reviews are for all sizes of this model from 40-65" so I'm not sure how the 65 is compared to the other reviews) to let me know how good of a tv this is compared to others.

I have been tossing around the Samsung UN60ES7100 ... this has all the 3D and 4 glasses, the smart tv things with apps, and comes with a free Galaxy Tab 2 7in. tablet for about $500 more than the 65" 6000 .... BUT this is only 60" and I would like to go bigger .... is this 6000 for PQ and sports etc. better than this 60" 7100? This 7100 is edge-lit and after the Sharp I am very leery of this now!

I watch tons of sports, once a week maybe a DL'ed movie in .MKV via the WD Live player, and most of the time we are primetime TV buffs (Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Suits, Big Brother, Survivor, Dallas, True Blood and MANY others) we have tons of shows we watch in HD and want to make sure we have a great PQ when viewing all our shows.

Any feedback on this set would great ... from those who have it and those who are aware of the quality and PQ .... please only first hand feedback ... not "what you think" based on specs.

Wish this set had more than 2 HDMI ports ... I really need 4 for my set-up since my receiver doesn't have HDMI ... maybe if this is a good tv I can take that extra 500 bucks and upgrade my current Denon receiver to a newer model that has HDMI pass though so I only really need one. smile.gif

I appriciate all the help guys and I look forward to some feedback on this Tv set. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

So I would really like to find a set thats basic and has the same rear Full-Array LED lighting as my current LED .... seems like thats something only found in high end units now a days since they are moving to this edge-lit junk that doesn not look good and makes the tv thin ... guess thin bad picture is in.
This seems like a TV that gives me 10" more of screen ...
I have been tossing around the Samsung UN60ES7100 ... this has all the 3D and 4 glasses, the smart tv things with apps, and comes with a free Galaxy Tab 2 7in. tablet for about $500 more than the 65" 6000 .... BUT this is only 60" and I would like to go bigger .... is this 6000 for PQ and sports etc. better than this 60" 7100? This 7100 is edge-lit and after the Sharp I am very leery of this now!
I watch tons of sports, once a week maybe a DL'ed movie in .MKV via the WD Live player, and most of the time we are primetime TV buffs (Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Suits, Big Brother, Survivor, Dallas, True Blood and MANY others) we have tons of shows we watch in HD and want to make sure we have a great
A year ago I went from having a 57" Sharp to the top Samsung D8000 60" and it's wierd that my Samsung seems smaller than my previous Sharp because it's so thin and while an awesome look and design asthetically I would never go less than 65"now.

There are times the PQ can be impressive but there are times when I hate it and find it inferior to my previous 5 yr old Sharp which seemed bigger and more immersive which I think is because it had a matte panel that gave a more peer into screen viewing more 3D like to my eyes anyways. Blacks during the day and with in-store auditions look terrific but in your room with the lights out at night they are a fraud with uneven grays and edge lighting flaws which is typical of edge lit panels - panel uniformity is bad at night whereas - a Sony HX929 and Sharp Elite blows the Samsung away IMO and it was demonstrated as such in the 2011 flat panel shootout.

Also, for whatever reason when I do On-Demand movies via Comcast in HD I get regular dirty screen effect during dark scenes and camera pans with foggy black blotches without detail, something that never appeared on my old Sharp = zero DSE on it. Does not replicate on BD's though. This event occurs on both my Samsungs 55" and 60" purchased in 2011. Perhaps 2012 has corrected the edge issues but I find it highly unlikely that Edge Lit Technology has the ability to actually resolve it' s inherent issues and don't be fooled by in-store auditions - they won't replicate what your home does at night with the lights out.

I understand your considering Plasma but I personally hate plasma 100% and would not take one if it were free for my HT which is in a southern exposure with tall arched windows as I owned a Panny Plasma briefly and could not stand it's daytime washout, dirty yellow/grayish whites, glare and REAL reflections 24/7 where you see an inventory of your room while trying to view something that occurs on only rare occasions with the Samsungs and never with the Sharp I owned. Playing dark video games or movies on a sunny day are next to impossible to see or play the games and especially now that I'm retired I view all day long and so I could never tolerate a plasma no matter how cheap they get priced. If you can tolerate which I found intolerable than good for you - go for it!

My target is the second generation Elite 70" or Sony 65" HX929 or it's next gen model, if they don't phase it out, I've thought about the Samsung 75" if they could resolve the nighttime blacks, screen uniformity and get rid of DSE but I haven't seen a single Edge Lit deliver on those yet and unlikely to fork over $7K+ on the Samsung if it remains inferior to the Elite or Sony. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You're probably not going to like this answer but here i go. I have come to the conclusion that there is no one right answer. There is too much variation of quality from set to set among identical models among all Manufacturers. You're going to have to jump into the TV roulete game and hope for the best. So buy from store with the most generous return policy. I would recomend calibration before you just write off a tv as a poor performer. A little fine tuning will make a world of difference. I have a UN55D8000 that has none of the issues generally associated with edge lit LED tvs after playing with settings.
Good Luck.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the 60" EH6000, and am quite happy with it. It doesn't have the local dimming, but otherwise it has the benefit of no noticable clouding around the edges. It can also be calibrated very nicely to conform to production standards (Geek Squad did it for free, but I also later confirmed with my own colorimeter). As for sports, it's a little blurry when watching something like Olympic Soccer, but it cleans up a little with the motion setting to "Clear".

As for 3D, it's a neat concept but very few TVs do a good job with it currently. If you're truly interested, I would look for a TV that uses polarized glasses for 3D (aka passive), instead of the shudders. With shudders, you'll likely see cross-images, get headaches, etc.

I disagree with RollTide here... I think people overexaggerate the discrepancies between identical models... they're manufactured within some set tolerances... beyond that if a TV looks way different, it's probably a lemon. On the other hand, you can spend countless hours researching TVs, but in the end it really just comes down to personal preferences, and seeing it for yourself in person.

I'd recommend checking out the EH6000 in person to see what you think of the PQ. Try to put on a sports program to see if it's too blurry for you.

My recommended quick settings for in-store:
Picture Mode: Movie
Color Temp: Warm 2
Screen Size: Fit-to-screen (or whatever it's called)
Auto Motion: Clear (or off)

Turn off as many features as you can, like Dynamic Contrast, LED Motion Plus, DNR, etc. 99% of it is garbage. Auto Motion is so-so on Clear.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
@doggghouse, what is your viewing distance? I'm trying to decide between the 55" and 60" EH6000. I'm viewing from 10-12'. How noticeable would the motion artifacts be at that distance with the 60"?

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaskovec View Post

@doggghouse, what is your viewing distance? I'm trying to decide between the 55" and 60" EH6000. I'm viewing from 10-12'. How noticeable would the motion artifacts be at that distance with the 60"?
Thanks!

I have last years 60" D8000 and my biggest disappointment is it seems too small and I'm at 9' - previously had a monstrous 57" Sharp that seemed bigger and though the Samsung is 3" larger it seems smaller due to it's sveltness, that thin form factor makes a difference and I wish I'd gone at least to 65". Motion artifacts actually have nothing to do with size - it can replicate on any size panel and you'll see them unless your vision impaired and it's not always the fault of the panel - more often it can be compression being done by the broadcaster. Hopefully they've improved the 2012 otherwise I won't even consider the 75" due out next month as mine has screen uniformity issues in a totally dark room cause by edge lighting - during the day the blacks are great but at night with lights out they are exposed as inferior to the Sony HX929 and the Sharp Elite.

Good Luck but go as big as your wallet can afford as many buyers are placing 70"> in the HT with your seating distance. The 60" truly isn't all that large IMO.smile.gif

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 AM

Very nice TV. Picked up the 65" yesterday to replace a 70" Vizio and 65" Panasonic Plasma both returned. Much better PQ on the Samsung. Vizio was somewhat blurry and the Plasma was too dark for my taste.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 14
Bought the 65" from BB back in November around thanksgiving. Honestly, best LED Ive seen regarding color and motion handling; no clouding, no flashlighting, minimal banding, excellent lag time with my XBOX --- excellent tv except for one thing which was the deal breaker for me - Viewing Angle. The viewing angle on the 65", which had the MH001 panel, had the absolute worst viewing angle of any LED TV I have watched. It was only slightly apparent in the store, but when I got it home, if I wasnt directly in front and centered, the colors washed out extremely quick. I literally couldnt sit on the ends of my couch, it was that bad. Ultimately had to return it because of the viewing angle.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter520 View Post

Bought the 65" from BB back in November around thanksgiving. Honestly, best LED Ive seen regarding color and motion handling; no clouding, no flashlighting, minimal banding, excellent lag time with my XBOX --- excellent tv except for one thing which was the deal breaker for me - Viewing Angle. The viewing angle on the 65", which had the MH001 panel, had the absolute worst viewing angle of any LED TV I have watched. It was only slightly apparent in the store, but when I got it home, if I wasnt directly in front and centered, the colors washed out extremely quick. I literally couldnt sit on the ends of my couch, it was that bad. Ultimately had to return it because of the viewing angle.
Thats weird...Maybe this panel lottery is for real or is it the settings you adjust/don't adjust that are the biggest factor. I have the same 65" TV, same panel version, purchased a month ago for a crazy low price and its viewing angle is better than any of the comparable size LEDs I've seen.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 AM

I just purchased the Samsung UN65EH6000F from Costco (mail order) and I have the same complaint about viewing angle - I was expecting 178/178, but I have to sit within 30 degrees of direct center or I start seeing fading and vertical swipes. I also see darkening in the four corners which only light up when I move to the edge in my viewing angle (the left corners are OK if I am in a direct line from the left corner, and the right corner is OK if I sit in a direct line with the right corner - if I sit in a direct line from the center, all four corners show darkening for about 50 `- 100 pixels up or down). If I watch a BLU RAY movie, I don't notice this corner problem, but, on a solid screen (such as a bmp file 1920 by 1080 in a solid color) for white, red, blue, green, yellow, etc. the four corners are darker. I also notice vertical banding where the bands are about 200 pixels wide, which I don't notice when watching BLU RAY. I intended to use this mostly as a large PC monitor, so, this is very disappointing.

I have to say that the set seems to be very well built, and it has the 400X400 mm wall mounting holes to allow for solid attachment to a wall. What really bothers me is that I have an old Samsung 2008 model LN40A530P1F which still works fine, has excellent viewing angle (true 178/178) and suffers from NO BANDING or corner darkening. My old 40" samsung (ln40a530p1f) actually has a better picture than this much larger 65 inch.!!!!!!!

The reason I made this mail order purchase was because of the ravings on the Costco user reivews, and also, the reviews from Best Buy. The reviews are excellent, and, I was expecting this new 65 inch screen to be as good as (at least) my old 40", and, maybe even better. It is NOT. They didn't have one in any of the stores so I ordered it sight unseen, and, now, I am struggling with a desire to return it to Costco (90 day return policy), even though there isn't any technical failures, except for the banding, corner darkening, and viewing angle - all these complaints could be considered impressions and not purely technical defects.

Samsung had an eight hundred dollar rebate which made the price just over a thousand dollars, and they have sicne upped the price by two hundred dollars, so, I am thinking I got a good price, but, since I am disappointed with these "less than great" screen artifacts, I am still strjggling with the prospect of having to return it.

I suggest that anyone who is thinking about purchasing this, or ANY, LCD big screen, go SEE IT IN PERSON FIRST - do not rely on customer reviews! I would not recommend anyone to buy this model unless he can see it in person first, and can take the time to examine all the possible artifacts that might be objectionable.

Littleberry
post #11 of 12 Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM

I got my UN65EH6000 from the AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) and it arrived Feb 6. The screen on black looks like this. Should I be alarmed? Note the software is T-MX9FAUSC-1020.1

post #12 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Liked: 0
I have the exact white ghosting squares on a black screen or any dark picture that the above poster just mentioned. It is totally annoying during dark scenes as u see faint white blotches. this is the UN65EH6000 Its just been unboxed and this is how it is... Ive tried a different hdmi cord and input and same thing. The TV is likely going back tomorrow. I will not try another, Im not happy with how soccer and sports looks either. A little disappointed for sure.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Series 65 Inch Class Led Hdtv Un65eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page