whats the best value led lcd in the 55 inch 240 refresh range - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > whats the best value led lcd in the 55 inch 240 refresh range
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 07:05 PM 08-06-2012
Im looking for something that has very good pq but doesnt have to be feature packed. Something maybe a yr or two old you can still find on ebay new. I currently have a 5 yr old samsung lcd thats nice but dated, Im thinking of considering a plasma,I dont have alot of light in the room to contend with,and the the panny st50 really seems to be a good value,Im worried my kids would leave the tivo paused too long or id be watching endless football games on sunday and get logo or scoreboard burn in??
also looking at the Vizio M3D550KD it seems to be avail online very well priced and has alot of nice features for the money,im sure there are others that may be a yr older or so,what do you guys recommend?

suncom3's Avatar suncom3 12:51 PM 08-07-2012
anyone?
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 01:04 PM 08-07-2012
Vizio doesn't get a lot of love on this forum. If you're on a budget, you might check out the LG website to see what will fit your needs. My favorites are Samsung, Sony, Sharp & LG. I don't care much for plasma, especially cheap ones. You can walk inbto an electronics store and identify the plasmas from across the store (because they are so dim compared to CCFL-LCDs or LED-LCDs). Good luck in your search.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 01:55 PM 08-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Vizio doesn't get a lot of love on this forum. If you're on a budget, you might check out the LG website to see what will fit your needs. My favorites are Samsung, Sony, Sharp & LG. I don't care much for plasma, especially cheap ones. You can walk inbto an electronics store and identify the plasmas from across the store (because they are so dim compared to CCFL-LCDs or LED-LCDs). Good luck in your search.

the best plasmas are all mid-range and high-end models, starting at 50"-51" and they have dark screen filters to hold CR and blacks better in bright rooms

the smaller models are all entry-level 720p (1024 by 768) sets, which are crap in my opinion
HDTBill's Avatar HDTBill 03:31 PM 08-07-2012
I am in the same boat as you.
The 55ST50 seems hard to beat for 2D picture.
For 3D, the passive 3D (LED/LCD) gets rave reviews, re: the Visio you mentioned, LGs, and Panasonic ET5.
The new Visio is very tempting, maybe from Costco as they throw in 2yr guarantee.
The Panasonic 55ET5 is the new kid on the LED/LCD block and features IPS wide view screen, and prices falling due perhaps to mixed reviews.
If you believe CNET, all of the LED/LCD pic quality is disappointing this year until you get to $2000+ SONY sets,
whereas Panasonic has huge hit with VT50/GT50/ST50 series (Plasma/active 3D).
So sadly the choice is really great 2D Plasma ST50 with perhaps less desirable active 3D,
or really great passive 3D on the LED/LCD's with perhaps less than desirable 2D compared to the plasmas which have hit PQ stride.

I have a Panasonic TCL32X30 with Alpha IPS LCD which seems fantastic, but tentatively the ET5 IPS does not seem as impressive...but I like the Panasonic in general.
rx74ray's Avatar rx74ray 05:28 PM 08-07-2012
what's your budget?
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 05:39 PM 08-07-2012
I have a budget around 1500 for this tv

The st50 can be had very cheap on ebay and other online sources,but I dont know if i want another heater in my house,the ac is already having a tough time keeping up with the heat wave,already have 450 dollar power bills. I Try to buy my electronics from costco because they are so easy to deal with and 2 yr warranty for free.
I like the samsung 8500 series also but for double the price of the vizio dont think its worth it. The sonys are even worse in pricing.. I just cant justify that kinda cost for a 55 inch tv.. This is going in a secondary room that the kids will use alot. I think they wil appreciate the 3d.
I wish I could remember some of the really nice model #s of Samsung and Panasonic from 2010 or so. I saw a few demos at magnolia then when 240 refresh started coming out with full array dimming,its hard to find reviews of those still,anyone know a place to see the best of 2010..I just want a really pq, I could care less about smart tv hand and voice commands. Im wonder if those could be found as high end left overs for a good deal on ebay now.

I will be looking for a larger tv in the range of 65 to 70 for the main room later on.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 06:42 PM 08-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

I am in the same boat as you.
The 55ST50 seems hard to beat for 2D picture.
For 3D, the passive 3D (LED/LCD) gets rave reviews, re: the Visio you mentioned, LGs, and Panasonic ET5.
The new Visio is very tempting, maybe from Costco as they throw in 2yr guarantee.
The Panasonic 55ET5 is the new kid on the LED/LCD block and features IPS wide view screen, and prices falling due perhaps to mixed reviews.
If you believe CNET, all of the LED/LCD pic quality is disappointing this year until you get to $2000+ SONY sets,
whereas Panasonic has huge hit with VT50/GT50/ST50 series (Plasma/active 3D).
So sadly the choice is really great 2D Plasma ST50 with perhaps less desirable active 3D,
or really great passive 3D on the LED/LCD's with perhaps less than desirable 2D compared to the plasmas which have hit PQ stride.
I have a Panasonic TCL32X30 with Alpha IPS LCD which seems fantastic, but tentatively the ET5 IPS does not seem as impressive...but I like the Panasonic in general.

It's funny, this year's Panasonic Plasmas get rave reviews but their all LED LCD lineup has not so great reviews. How can the same company make great plasmas but bad LCDs in the same model year? Is their LCD division not a priority and held-back to avoid hurting the sales of their plasmas? Weren't previous Panasonic LCDs more highly regarded?
HDTBill's Avatar HDTBill 06:59 PM 08-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

It's funny, this year's Panasonic Plasmas get rave reviews but their all LED LCD lineup has not so great reviews. How can the same company make great plasmas but bad LCDs in the same model year? Is their LCD division not a priority and held-back to avoid hurting the sales of their plasmas? Weren't previous Panasonic LCDs more highly regarded?

My 32" Panasonic LCD TCL32X30 with Alpha IPS is just great.
I think this is the first year Panasonic went with the larger screen size LED/LCD's presumably due to the IPS technology edge, but they needed more.
We need SONY HX850 PQ with Panasonic Alpha IPS screen and LG passive 3D and I'd probably pay $2250 for a 55-incher like that.
Maybe next year.
HDTBill's Avatar HDTBill 07:08 PM 08-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

I Try to buy my electronics from costco because they are so easy to deal with and 2 yr warranty for free.... This is going in a secondary room that the kids will use alot. I think they wil appreciate the 3d.

Well if you have not done so already, check out the CNET review on the 55" Visio M3D550KD. They liked it a lot.
I am going to go over there and see how I like the PQ on it. Made in America too.
Fanaticalism's Avatar Fanaticalism 09:10 PM 08-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

Well if you have not done so already, check out the CNET review on the 55" Visio M3D550KD. They liked it a lot.
I am going to go over there and see how I like the PQ on it. Made in America too.
"Assembled in America", Vizio doesn't "make" anything.
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 10:08 PM 08-07-2012
vizio does "make"a great value,so far as i can tell anyway. I found 2010 model samsung 9000 series 55 inch that looks like it got really good reviews,full array dimming I beleive,for pretty cheap,its a factory refurb though,how do you guys feel about highend led refurbs.are they a safe bet. They offer a 2 yr warranty for 200 with it.
HDTBill's Avatar HDTBill 10:35 PM 08-07-2012
Presumably Samsung would be active 3d...up to you.
The used 2011 passive 3D sets LG 55LW5600 or LG 55LW6500 (240 hz) would be good but can be expensive.
Seeems like some people (eg CNET) were more pleased with those than the 2012 versions from LG.
Well I stand corrected re: Visio - Assembled in America

hmm...I see 2 LG 55LW6500 on Amazon (used) for 1371...one for you and one for me
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 01:21 AM 08-08-2012
have not looked at the lg 6500 yet. 1300 is decent,but not sure about used. not really sure about refurb either,but that sammy 9000 was priced new over 4 k and can be had as a refurb for half that now.
RollTide2011's Avatar RollTide2011 09:10 AM 08-08-2012
If its a set that will primarly be used by kids especialy younger i would look for passive 3d set.
just my 2 cents.
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 12:19 PM 08-08-2012
http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LM8600-47-Inch-LED-LCD-Glasses/dp/B006ZH0L2E/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1344447315&s=merchant&sr=1-15

huh as far as lg goes,this 8600 series in a 55 can be had for 1300 used as well..

Whats the deal with amazon,are they gettin these stores with customer returns that are not damaged or what? Whats a safer bet, these used types or refurbs, the refurbs at least have 90 day warranty and you can purchase 2 or 3 yr ext warranty for 200 or so..wonder if its worth it
boxorox87's Avatar boxorox87 12:41 PM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LM8600-47-Inch-LED-LCD-Glasses/dp/B006ZH0L2E/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1344447315&s=merchant&sr=1-15
huh as far as lg goes,this 8600 series in a 55 can be had for 1300 used as well..

Nah...you got that wrong. I paid 1800 for my 55" 8600 when you said that, I was ready to buy another one.
rx74ray's Avatar rx74ray 02:29 PM 08-08-2012
on refurbished TVs you can only buy for ONE year additional warranty as far as I know. So you will have a total coverage of 15 months. That's how it is with squartrade.
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 04:01 PM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

vizio does "make"a great value,so far as i can tell anyway. I found 2010 model samsung 9000 series 55 inch that looks like it got really good reviews,full array dimming I beleive,for pretty cheap,its a factory refurb though,how do you guys feel about highend led refurbs.are they a safe bet. They offer a 2 yr warranty for 200 with it.

The 2010 C9000 Samsung was an overpriced piece of garbage with mediocre PQ. It was edge-lit, not backlit, and does not use any form of local dimming (oddly enough, the lower-end C8000 was edge-lit with local dimming). The reason it was so expensive is because it was thin. It will use older (more expensive) 3D glasses than 2011-2012 Samsungs, and also has very poor quality 3D performance.

I'd rather buy a new mid-range set than a used or refurbished set from 2-3 years ago. if you're looking for high-end models with full-array local dimming, those haven't really been made in any significant quantity for at least a few years.
bullpuss's Avatar bullpuss 04:26 PM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

I have a budget around 1500 for this tv
The st50 can be had very cheap on ebay and other online sources,but I dont know if i want another heater in my house,the ac is already having a tough time keeping up with the heat wave,already have 450 dollar power bills. I Try to buy my electronics from costco because they are so easy to deal with and 2 yr warranty for free.
I like the samsung 8500 series also but for double the price of the vizio dont think its worth it. The sonys are even worse in pricing.. I just cant justify that kinda cost for a 55 inch tv.. This is going in a secondary room that the kids will use alot. I think they wil appreciate the 3d.
I wish I could remember some of the really nice model #s of Samsung and Panasonic from 2010 or so. I saw a few demos at magnolia then when 240 refresh started coming out with full array dimming,its hard to find reviews of those still,anyone know a place to see the best of 2010..I just want a really pq, I could care less about smart tv hand and voice commands. Im wonder if those could be found as high end left overs for a good deal on ebay now.
I will be looking for a larger tv in the range of 65 to 70 for the main room later on.


I thought i had it bad when my electric bill came $279 last month..................yours take the cake my friend. As for a good 55 inch the Sony KDL-HX850 is said to be great, but out of your budget range. On the other hand if you don't mind the uniformity issues of the Samsung they are a good buy for bright rooms.........i have the 55 und7000 and i love it.
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 11:27 PM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The 2010 C9000 Samsung was an overpriced piece of garbage with mediocre PQ. It was edge-lit, not backlit, and does not use any form of local dimming (oddly enough, the lower-end C8000 was edge-lit with local dimming). The reason it was so expensive is because it was thin. It will use older (more expensive) 3D glasses than 2011-2012 Samsungs, and also has very poor quality 3D performance.
I'd rather buy a new mid-range set than a used or refurbished set from 2-3 years ago. if you're looking for high-end models with full-array local dimming, those haven't really been made in any significant quantity for at least a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

Nah...you got that wrong. I paid 1800 for my 55" 8600 when you said that, I was ready to buy another one.

Really,maybe im reading reviews that are too old based on the high price they use to be....http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55c9000.html

it use to be 5k and now can be found for 2k,thats gotta be a decent deal for something that high end..I do see its not full array dimming though,what are some good model tvs from a few yrs ago that do have that feature,Why would you rather have a mediocre mid range tv thats new over a model thats stellar from a couple yrs back and costs less than the new so so tvs out now,it looks like everything i read is showing all the new lineups of the top manufactures are just not as nice as they use to be made a couple yrs back. im guessing the build quality is prolly much better in the older units and they will prolly run longer trouble free also. AM i wrong in this type of thinking..






bullpuss....my house is only bout 2800 sq ft to boot,im gonna be on a hvac forum next trying to find a good solution to replacing these old central ac units..so i deff dont need a plasma heater


boxorox87....nah im correct,they have 12 of them for 1300,its inside the 46 inch link,you change it to the 55 inch..
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 04:53 AM 08-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

Really,maybe im reading reviews that are too old based on the high price they use to be....http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55c9000.html
it use to be 5k and now can be found for 2k,thats gotta be a decent deal for something that high end..I do see its not full array dimming though,what are some good model tvs from a few yrs ago that do have that feature,Why would you rather have a mediocre mid range tv thats new over a model thats stellar from a couple yrs back and costs less than the new so so tvs out now,it looks like everything i read is showing all the new lineups of the top manufactures are just not as nice as they use to be made a couple yrs back.

Models with full-array, local dimming by year (starting with 2009 models).

2009 (note that none of these are 3D):

Toshiba SV670U
LG LHX
LG LH90
Samsung UNXXB8500

2010:

Sony XBRxxHX909 (3D)
LG LE8500
LG LX9500 (3D)

2011:

Sony XBRxxHX929 (carry-over 2012 model)
LG LV9500
LG LW9800

Higher-end edge-lit LED TVs:

'09:

Samsung B8000
Sony XBR10

'10:

Samsung C7000
Samsung C8000 (edge-lit with local dimming)
Samsung C9000
Sony HX800 (edge-lit with local dimming)
Sony NX800
Sony NX810 (edge-lit w/ LD)
Sony XBRLX900
LG LX6500 (edge-lit w/LD)
Sharp LE920UN
Sharp LE925UN

'11:

Samsung D7000 (with LD)
Samsung D8000 (with LD)
Sony NX720 (with LD)
Sony HX820 (with LD)
LG LW6500 (with LD)
Sharp LE835
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 10:30 AM 08-09-2012
fatuglyguy..... thanks really good info .What do you think of the LG55lm8600. Cant find many reviews for it online.I think it has local dimming. I can get a used 55 for about $1300

Id love to have a full array dimming model so ill do a little searching around for those.. whats the disadvantage to a couple yr old model if you can still get a warranty for it..these type panels should last at least 10 yrs with normal use right?
boxorox87's Avatar boxorox87 10:56 AM 08-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post


boxorox87....nah im correct,they have 12 of them for 1300,its inside the 46 inch link,you change it to the 55 inch..


Yep, You are right and I just ordered another one. It is "Used", but I know how many "testers" on here, sent them back to Amazon.
suncom3's Avatar suncom3 07:29 PM 08-09-2012
boxorox...sent you a pm

So can a amazon used still be warrantied through the aftermarket companies or the manufacture direct for a few yrs or not?
Justin Sullins's Avatar Justin Sullins 02:19 PM 09-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

Im looking for something that has very good pq but doesnt have to be feature packed. Something maybe a yr or two old you can still find on ebay new. I currently have a 5 yr old samsung lcd thats nice but dated, Im thinking of considering a plasma,I dont have alot of light in the room to contend with,and the the panny st50 really seems to be a good value,Im worried my kids would leave the tivo paused too long or id be watching endless football games on sunday and get logo or scoreboard burn in??
also looking at the Vizio M3D550KD it seems to be avail online very well priced and has alot of nice features for the money,im sure there are others that may be a yr older or so,what do you guys recommend?

If you haven't done so already, chek out the M3D550KD. It has excellent PQ, Passive 3-D is very good, and a fair amount of apps. I actually owned this tv but took it back due to some panel issues. I'm thinking about buying it again as it is now $1098.00 for the 55". My panel wasn't attached to the bezel very well and had slight light-bleed. I'm positive I just got a defective set.

YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER TELEVISION WITH GREAT PQ AND GOOD 3-D IN THIS PRICE RANGE!
Tags: Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sharp
Up
Mobile  Desktop