LED or LCD that can "compare" to a VT50 for upcoming b-day - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use "compare" lightly, I currently have a GT30 so I'm well aware of how godly the VT50 is, but the issue is burn in and IR. I need to find something for my dads 60th at the end of September, budget is $3-3.5k, I want to buy him the vt50 but he games (Madden/FPS) and so does my nephew when he's over all the time, so I don't think the VT is realistic. I know its possible to avoid to the burn in by running the anti-burn visual slides after gaming for a while but I dont see them doing that often enough.

So is there anything even remotely close or I guess the better question is whats the best LED/LCD in the $3-3.5k price range, oh yea looking for 60"+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvik View Post

I use "compare" lightly, I currently have a GT30 so I'm well aware of how godly the VT50 is, but the issue is burn in and IR. I need to find something for my dads 60th at the end of September, budget is $3-3.5k, I want to buy him the vt50 but he games (Madden/FPS) and so does my nephew when he's over all the time, so I don't think the VT is realistic. I know its possible to avoid to the burn in by running the anti-burn visual slides after gaming for a while but I dont see them doing that often enough.
So is there anything even remotely close or I guess the better question is whats the best LED/LCD in the $3-3.5k price range, oh yea looking for 60"+

consider the Samsung E6500 or higher plasma, it won't have any issue with IR like the 2011 and 2012 Panasonics
post #3 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

consider the Samsung E6500 or higher plasma, it won't have any issue with IR like the 2011 and 2012 Panasonics

when you say higher plasma you mean the Sharp Elite?
post #4 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when you say higher plasma you mean the Sharp Elite?

no, the higher end Samsung plasma models (E7000 and E8000)
post #5 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

no, the higher end Samsung plasma models (E7000 and E8000)

oh dear god you gotta be kidding, Samsung has figured out how to avoid IR/Burn-in but the uber Panasonic sets haven't? that's a travesty
post #6 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Has Samsung figured out how to keep their plasma screens from spontaneously cracking, and then put in a support team that doesn't turn their back on their customers when it happens under warranty?

Michael
post #7 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM

The discussion is very funny! Keep it up!

Coming back to the original discussion, I have read here that Only Sony HX929 or Sharp Elite comes close (or) Better to VT50 in Picture Quality.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh dear god you gotta be kidding, Samsung has figured out how to avoid IR/Burn-in but the uber Panasonic sets haven't? that's a travesty

yeah, this is well-known for the 2012 models
post #9 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Has Samsung figured out how to keep their plasma screens from spontaneously cracking, and then put in a support team that doesn't turn their back on their customers when it happens under warranty?
Michael

to be fair, if Samsung has issues, it affects all their TVs (not just plasmas)

and I seriously doubt such issues are the norm... most of the problems posted on this site only represent 1% or so of the total population of TV buyers/owners

most who come here only do so to post issues... those 99% happy with their sets don't bother posting here nearly as much... in other words, issues posted on this forum are not nearly as prevalent/common as readers might be left to believe
post #10 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I mean I really want to get him the 65vt50 but god damn Burn In/IR just makes me nutty, so how does these Samsungs stack up to the Panasonic VT or the above mentioned Sony?
post #11 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

to be fair, if Samsung has issues, it affects all their TVs (not just plasmas)
and I seriously doubt such issues are the norm... most of the problems posted on this site only represent 1% or so of the total population of TV buyers/owners
most who come here only do so to post issues... those 99% happy with their sets don't bother posting here nearly as much... in other words, issues posted on this forum are not nearly as prevalent/common as readers might be left to believe

A plasma screen has no resemblence to an LCD screen, so no, a problem on one screen type or even model does not necessarily affect the other ones. Their customer service on the other hand...

If you are among the 1% (your estimate) unhappy, say with a cracked screen, and you are left with a TV that cost you thousands of dollars and has zero value now, I doubt you would care much that the other 99% have functioning TVs.

Michael
post #12 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean I really want to get him the 65vt50 but god damn Burn In/IR just makes me nutty, so how does these Samsungs stack up to the Panasonic VT or the above mentioned Sony?

quite well, read the CNET reviews
post #13 of 16 Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

A plasma screen has no resemblence to an LCD screen, so no, a problem on one screen type or even model does not necessarily affect the other ones. Their customer service on the other hand...
If you are among the 1% (your estimate) unhappy, say with a cracked screen, and you are left with a TV that cost you thousands of dollars and has zero value now, I doubt you would care much that the other 99% have functioning TVs.
Michael

I took a look at that thread today (it got bumped up by someone who just got this issue with a B series model from 2009). I'm going to look further into this to see if the issue is still a concern with the 2012 models. I agree I wouldn't want to be part of that 1% though. Upon second glance, it seems to be more common that I thought it was.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There is also the upcoming Sharp 945 full array back lit with local diming. It may not be out until November-January but is still slated for release. It's supposed to be an "Elite Lite" version. probably not as many dimming zones as the Elite. More likely in line with the Sony 929 which are getting very hard to find now due to discontinuation. I believe the tentative slated price is $3499 for the 60" and $4499 for the 70".
post #15 of 16 Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

ok so this Samsung issue is that covered under warranty or is this shenanigans? Is the Samsung Plasma still better than the LCD/LED's out there?
post #16 of 16 Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

It seems that nobody really wants to address your specific question _( what's the best LED/LCD in my price range in the 60" range?) The simple answer is, read reviews (Sound & Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine, CNET) and pay specific attention to what brands and models handle motion the best, especially relating to games. The posts here at AVS Forum should be a great guide to finding what you need and you will find comprehensive posts on pretty much every TV that falls into your required category.. On a side note, it appears that the 2012 Samsung plasma's have a much lower incidence of IR than the new 2012 Panasonic's. They have other short comings but since IR/burn-in is your most important concern then Samsung may be your best plasma choice. Also you might send Chris (Cleveland TV/ PLasma) a e-mail and ask him his top choices for your dad's new TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page