Best 46" - 55" LED TV primarily for SD viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After urgent advice as i want to make a purchase within the next couple of days.
As implied, I'm looking for a 46" - 55" LED tv who's primary sources will be standard definition free to air tv (via component), and downloaded SD tv shows (via HDMI and WiFi).
I realise that plasma is the way to go, but the tv is for my smallish bedroom which doesn't have any air con. Having previously owned a plasma, the heat it radiated was considerably annoying during summer, hence my want for an LCD.

It requires to roughly fall below the 55ES8000 price range. Unfortunately, i cannot afford a Sharp Elite Pro.

From the little info i've managed to find on the net, i've come to the conclusion that either HX850 or ES8000 are my best options. Am i right? If so, which of the two? If neither, please advise!

Many thanks in advance,
Jonathan Rocco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Frock View Post

I'm desperately after your advice as i want to make a purchase asap.
As implied, I'm looking for a 46" - 55" LED tv which will primarily be used for viewing free to air standard definition tv, and downloaded tv shows.
I realize that plasma is the way to go, but the tv is for my smallish bedroom which doesn't have any air con. Having previously owned a plasma, the heat it radiated was considerably annoying during summer, hence my want for an LCD.
It requires to roughly fall below the 55ES8000 price range. Unfortunately, i cannot afford a Sharp Elite Pro.
From the little info i've managed to find on the net, i've come to the conclusion that either HX850 or ES8000 are my best options. Am i right? If so, which of the two? If not, please advise!
Many thanks in advance,
Jonathan Rocco

the HX850 is better

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-55hx850/4505-6482_7-35118056.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link PlasmaPZ80U - i've come across that review before - unfortunately it doesn't seem to give much insight into SD viewing?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the link PlasmaPZ80U - i've come across that review before - unfortunately it doesn't seem to give much insight into SD viewing?

CNET stopped testing SD PQ a while ago as did ConsumerReports.org. I would imagine the reason for this being that most are able to get HD content quite easily at this point (OTA HD, HD Cable/Satellite, HD console gaming, BD movies and TV shows, HD streaming/digital downloads of video content, etc.).

post #5 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
In any case, Samsungs are generally known for excellent processing of SD content.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Although cheap and some don't like it, I like my 55L6200U Toshiba LED TV. I watch a lot of SD on DISH (South Asian channells). They look good to me compared to my last year Samsung. For HD, Samsung & Toshiba are equally good, but for SD content (Mostly channells) Toshiba is far better. It is also cheap and can be found for $1200 for 55".

Also you should think about investing in DVDO EDGE ($400 at Amazon now) if you watch a lot of SD stuff. That will help making SD content much better. If you have more money, you can buy Onkyo 818 ($1100 now, was on sale earlier for $829 at Amazon).

Note : I am not even close to an expert, and hence my opinion is based on my viewing only! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Here is a review from an excellent UK review site which deals specifically with SD performance. Ignore the bit about 2-2 Pal telecine transfers as it is not applicable to North Americans:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue55es8000-ue46es8000-201205301790.htm?page=Performance This is for the ES8000 but the ES7000 would be the same.

As regards the HX850 here is the page dealing with SD too.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl-55hx853-46hx853-201206161860.htm?page=Performance

Of the two, it appears the Samsung does better. You don't have to go with the ES8000 - the ES7000 would be very similar (the ES7000 is also reviewed there).
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM

SONY HX 850

SONY TABLET S - SONY DSC-WX7 - SONY HOME THEATER - SONY MDR XB - 500 - SONY NWZ-A844/T - SONY HX 850 -SONY PlayStation®3 160GB Console( UPCOMING )
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Sharp , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page