Panny P65VT50 vs Sharp LC70LE945U vs Sammy UN65ES8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All-
I was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions regarding the above sets.
My requirements:
I would prefer 70" but could go to 65" if image quality is better.
set would be on wall in fam room with large floor to ceiling sliding glass doors on one side and kitchen on the other (so side viewing may be a possible issue).
I prefer to watch some regular programming as well as sports and movies (eg football during the day on weekends and movies in evenings); no gaming, however.
I am not hung up on any particular technology (plasma vs LED/LCD etc)- just want the best PQ overall if poss.

I have seen the new Elite 70" and its awesome but don't want to spend that kind of money. I was told that the new Sharp 70" 945 (which is due out in Sept) will have full array LED like the Elite but obviously not the processing. The Panny is currently on everyone's short list as the best so far but it is "only" 65" and on these forums, I am reading about possible increased plasma burn in issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
wait for the newer tv's to come out is my suggestion, 4K tv is just around the corner. I am dying to buy a tv right now but i am holding off until i see LG's 4k tv in october and sharps in november.

Theres not a lot of 4k content at the momment but its picture quality is way better from what i have read. plus 3D in both eyes not just one its something i want to see.

My finger is iching to buy the 90 inch sharp or the Sharp elte 80 inch coming out.

Wait a bit to see what happens, all the tv's you mentioned will drop in price in the later months.biggrin.gif

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvan814 View Post

Hello All-
I was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions regarding the above sets.
My requirements:
I would prefer 70" but could go to 65" if image quality is better.
set would be on wall in fam room with large floor to ceiling sliding glass doors on one side and kitchen on the other (so side viewing may be a possible issue).
I prefer to watch some regular programming as well as sports and movies (eg football during the day on weekends and movies in evenings); no gaming, however.
I am not hung up on any particular technology (plasma vs LED/LCD etc)- just want the best PQ overall if poss.
I have seen the new Elite 70" and its awesome but don't want to spend that kind of money. I was told that the new Sharp 70" 945 (which is due out in Sept) will have full array LED like the Elite but obviously not the processing. The Panny is currently on everyone's short list as the best so far but it is "only" 65" and on these forums, I am reading about possible increased plasma burn in issues?

I don't know much about the Sharp, but I don't honestly feel the ES8000 can be mentioned in the same sentence as the VT50 since the VT50 is superior on all accounts of picture quality (especially in areas like screen uniformity, viewing angles, black levels, apparent color saturation, contrast ratio, etc.). IR would be the main reason to avoid any Panasonic plasma, but this is more of an issue for some vs. others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

The Panny is currently on everyone's short list as the best so far but it is "only" 65" and on these forums, I am reading about possible increased plasma burn in issues?

70" isn't much bigger than 65", and really in the same class as far as I am concerned. 80" on the other hand is noticeable, and a step up.

It's not plasma "burn" that is the issue but temporary image retention. That's the hot topic right now, so it is unclear how much it is on the rise. There are still a lot of people reporting none on their new VT50's.

The Sharp 945 is not out, and there are mixed signals whether or not it is coming. Coming or not, it will not have the hardware to compete with a VT50 for picture quality. An Elite is neck-in-neck with a VT50 (most reviewers say slightly down), so a 945 isn't going to be at VT50 levels, and as you mentioned, the Elite costs a fortune.

Michael
post #5 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

The Panny is currently on everyone's short list as the best so far but it is "only" 65" and on these forums, I am reading about possible increased plasma burn in issues?

Besides image retention on the plasma panels, they also generally have more screen glare,and a softer image compared to a high end LED/LCD. Along with that, what most people don't know until thy buy one is the dithering of images along with higher energy consumption with the resulting heat it produces. They do have best viewing angle and color accuracy, but an overall dimmer and softer picture. There are tradeoff on both techs for sure.

That said, based on what your stated needs/wants are. . in my opinion a higher end LED/LCD would be best for you.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

To the average eye you really cannot tell until its pointed out for most people the difference in picture quality.In the end its the $$$cost of what you will buy will be the deciding factor. Like i Said i will be waiting for the 4K TV's first and if they are still a way of from being great then i will choose either the 90inch Sharp or the 80inch elite if and when it comes out as planned.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #7 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

The competition just arrived i am going to look at it this weekend.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1342678704

Samsung 75 inch ES9000 SMart Tv

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #8 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

I can't imagine Samsung selling many of these, especially when the Sharp Elite costs much less and will offer far better PQ.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM

Liked: 15
whasaaab, you may be waiting awhile for 4k and when it arrives you may have to take out a loan to buy one. I wouldn't hold my breath, plus its debatable whether you would see any difference from current sets.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Wow - I would most definitely NOT consider this 'competition' to the other sets mentioned given the price point of it - almost triple that of a VT50.

I'm in the market now - looking to replace a rear projection DLP I bought about 8 years ago now (maybe 9) . The VT50 or GT50 in the Panny, maybe an LED but my wife hates the weird motion you get on that (though I hear you can defeat that). Colors and brightness are definitely better on an LED (if one calls over saturation of color 'better') but we'll have to see.

As for this 4K stuff- well whassaaab - where are they?

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #11 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if you want the 65'', then the panny plasma is the way to go. with the *T50 line, you pick your price point and off you go. Once calibrated, I'd say that the colors on LED and plasma are the same. I have the 70 847 sharp led and a 50 ST 30 plasma, both calibrated and both look great. If there was a choice of a reasonably price plasma in the 70 '' size I'd have bought it. I had to compromise with the sharp, but overall I'm happy. Best and happy new year.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

wait for the newer tv's to come out is my suggestion, 4K tv is just around the corner. I am dying to buy a tv right now but i am holding off until i see LG's 4k tv in october and sharps in november.

Theres not a lot of 4k content at the momment but its picture quality is way better from what i have read. plus 3D in both eyes not just one its something i want to see.

My finger is iching to buy the 90 inch sharp or the Sharp elte 80 inch coming out.

Wait a bit to see what happens, all the tv's you mentioned will drop in price in the later months.biggrin.gif

Dont wait for 4k its a ways off and prices will be crazy. One more good plasma purchase then maybe think about oled/4k
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Quattron Lc 70le945u , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page