Battle of the 2012 65" TVs - LG 65LM6200 vs Panasonic VIERA TC-P65GT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alawisious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Samsung UN60C6300 and I'm looking to go bigger/better. I'm debating between the LG 65LM6200 LED and the Panny P65GT50. I never thought I'd consider a plasma, but there really aren't that many 2012 65" TVs to choose from and I've seen this Panasonic get rave reviews.

I'm struggling deciding between the two. Like many folks on this forum, I've spent far too many hours reading reviews, researching, etc. than I should. Here is where I am at, and any advice that could get me to a decision is much appreciated.

My concerns about the LG:
(1) I do not like the weird soap opera effect that new LEDs can have, but my impression is that this can be removed with adjustments
(2) My impression is that LG LEDs aren't nearly as good as Samsungs

My concerns about the Panny:
(1) Worried about the buzzing noise. If I can't hear it from 8-feet away, it is a non issue though.
(2) I generally will use in daytime, but my impression is that this has a "bright room" mode that works well.

I'm not a videophile, I've had no major gripes with the last three LCD/LEDs I've owned (all Samsung though). I don't really care about 3D and the price for both are about the same.

Is it a no-brainer to go with the Panny? Or are my concerns about the buzzing and daytime viewing an issue?

Thanks,
Al
alawisious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why not go 70".. I doubt 60 to 65" would be that big a jump

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Do you game for hours or use a PC on your TV?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alawisious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, thanks for the help.

I do not game nor do I use my TV with a PC. My wife and I mostly use the TV for casual DirecTV surfing and the occasional movie.

I thought about 70", but the only reasonable one I found was the Sharp. Definitely worth considering as I want an upgrade in size. Are there any other reasonably priced 70" TVs, or the Sharp is the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!
alawisious is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This is an easy decision. The Panasonic GT50 is going to blow the LG out of the water for picture quality. It will have better screen uniformity, better blacks, better color accuracy, no motion blur, no soap opera effect (unless you want it). Sharp is the only game in town for 70" TVs. There are some tradeoffs to the increase in size. The picture is good, but not great, and Sharp's degrade quickly as viewing angle increases. I haven't confirmed this for all their models, but it appears that the de-judder system in 2012 models cannot be completely turned off, so if you don't like the Soap Opera Effect, I think Sharp would be out.

Most Panasonic plasmas do not have buzzing you can hear beyond a foot, especially the 2012's. Get the TV at a place with a 30 exchange policy, and exchange it if it does.

I would only consider the LG or Sharp if your room is incredibly bright (which isn't very comfortable viewing). The 2012 Panasonic plasmas are brighter, but still not quite as bright as many LCD TVs. There is a daytime THX mode now, which is bright enough for most situations, and you can make plenty of adjustments on the GT50 to get it the way you want.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

This is an easy decision. The Panasonic GT50 is going to blow the LG out of the water for picture quality. It will have better screen uniformity, better blacks, better color accuracy, no motion blur, no soap opera effect (unless you want it).
Most Panasonic plasmas do not have buzzing you can hear beyond a foot, especially the 2012's. Get the TV at a place with a 30 exchange policy, and exchange it if it does.
I would only consider the LG if your room is incredibly bright (which isn't very comfortable viewing). The 2012 Panasonic plasmas are brighter, but still not quite as bright as many LCD TVs. There is a daytime THX mode now, which is bright enough for most situations, and you can make plenty of adjustments on the GT50 to get it the way you want.
Michael

+1
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by alawisious View Post

I currently have a Samsung UN60C6300 and I'm looking to go bigger/better. I'm debating between the LG 65LM6200 LED and the Panny P65GT50. I never thought I'd consider a plasma, but there really aren't that many 2012 65" TVs to choose from and I've seen this Panasonic get rave reviews.
I'm struggling deciding between the two. Like many folks on this forum, I've spent far too many hours reading reviews, researching, etc. than I should. Here is where I am at, and any advice that could get me to a decision is much appreciated.
My concerns about the LG:
(1) I do not like the weird soap opera effect that new LEDs can have, but my impression is that this can be removed with adjustments
(2) My impression is that LG LEDs aren't nearly as good as Samsungs
My concerns about the Panny:
(1) Worried about the buzzing noise. If I can't hear it from 8-feet away, it is a non issue though.
(2) I generally will use in daytime, but my impression is that this has a "bright room" mode that works well.
I'm not a videophile, I've had no major gripes with the last three LCD/LEDs I've owned (all Samsung though). I don't really care about 3D and the price for both are about the same.
Is it a no-brainer to go with the Panny? Or are my concerns about the buzzing and daytime viewing an issue?
Thanks,
Al

I have a VT65:

1) Buzzing is more of a Samsung issue. I can't hear my TV, I sit about 8ft away.
2) THX Bright Room mode is outstanding for an out of the box image. With a calibration disc to dial in the contrast and brightness for your room I'm betting you'll be very happy with it. It's a very natural looking image.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alawisious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great! Really appreciate your help! Panasonic it is smile.gif
alawisious is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
apples to oranges comparison...the gt50 will blow the lg out of the water....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

apples to oranges comparison...the gt50 will blow the lg out of the water....

yeah, it will (especially with black levels, contrast ratio, and viewing angles)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off