HELP! LM55 - 8600 Bleeding, ghosting, av synch issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first TV I ever spent more than $1500 on. ABC warehouse had it for $2300 and they matched eastcoasttv.com at $1750 last month.
TV has an amazing picture and I love the passive 3D. I am having lots of little irritations though.

When I have a black screen on TV I see bleeding coming from the edges. I saw a post on this forum about loosening and tightening the perimeter screws on the back of the TV. I did it and it actually worked. I got the worse parts back to black, but not all of them.

The ghosting on this set is very bad on the standard setting. This makes me very angry. I bought some nice cables off monoprice.com and thought I bought top of the line LG products. I have seen ghosting on both dish HD receiver and LG BluRay player BP620. I love the picture quality on the standard setting, but because of the ghosting I am putting all my inputs on game mode. Game mode turns all the bells and whistles off. I paid $1750 for all those bells and whistles though. I want to enjoy them.

There has been a lot of audio synch problems too. I am using a LG sound bar that was part of the demo at ABC warehouse. When watching DVR or BluRay I can fix the problem simply by turning devices and TV off and starting over. There are synch options on the sound bar, but they only go one way. The wrong way. If the actors are ahead of the sound there is nothing to do. Have not messed too much with the TV AV synch options yet. The worst synch problems are when trying to watch netflix or hbo go on the xbox. I have adjusted the TV and sound bar synch options to their max and still not right.

What would you guys do? New cables? LG tech support? Take it back?
I dont even know if taking it back is an option. Box is gone and it has been a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For starters, have you tried using a calibration disc?? Or even the built in picture wizard. I wasn't too happy with the picture on my 7600 initially, but once I adjusted things with a calibration disc, it looked much better. Don't use game mode. It turns off local dimming and the uniformity issues will be more noticeable. The only "bells and whistles" I use are local dimming, super resolution and real cinema. Turn all of the dynamic settings and noise reductions off. I use a manual trumotion of dejudder =2 and deblur =4.

Now, are the sync issues with the soundbar, or the tv itself. I think all soundbars are crap personally. If the tv won't sync audio, that's one thing. If the soundbar is off, don't blame the set. Unhook the soundbar and see if audio syncs up with the tv speaker. I'm guessing it will. The soundbar is most likely the issue. Hang in there. The tv has loads of settings and they can be a little overwhelming. Start with a calibration disc and go from there. You can use a simple THX one on most any Disney DVD or bluray. Or the free AVS one. I think the picture is quite amazing once it is set up properly. Out of the box, the backlight settings are way hot. I have a light controlled basement so for 2D watching, I set mine between 20-40. The picture really cleans up, IMO, once the backlight is turned down and the blacks and whites are adjusted.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. I have done the set up wizard, but that does not help the ghosting. I think the picture looks great on standard mode and/or after the set up wizard. I will try the settings you suggest and see how that effects the ghosting.

I know that sound bars are not that great, but TV speakers are junk. I always did the receiver and speaker thing, but now with HDMI cables I do not like the set up. I don't like my video signal having a middle man before it gets to the TV. Plus I do like the lazy man setup with all of my devices coming through sound bar without changing any inputs. Plus it is so much neater. Wife hated the speakers all over and big ass receiver.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I will reply again once I have time to watch some TV with your suggested settings.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up calling LG for service. They sent guys out right away. The techs agreed with my concerns about the TV. Backlight bleeding and motion blur. They seemed to think it was an easy and common fix for the bleeding, "new panel." They really didn't have much to say about the motion blur other than turning most of the motion settings off.
They told me 1 week. After 2 weeks i called the local TV repair shop. They said the parts were on back order. I then called LG. LG said same thing. They said 2-4 weeks "maybe." I said I don't want to wait and I didn't really think the new panel would fix both problems. I asked if there were any other options. They said there was nothing I could do but wait.
I asked to speak to his boss about my concerns. I explained everything again to the new lady. She said there was nothing she could do also. I tried to go higher again. She put me on hold. When she came back she said she spoke to "senior management" and agreed to send my claim to "resolution" not "service". She told me they would call me in 3 days with my options. She was right. They called and gave me 3 options.
1-Direct exchanged for same TV at dealer. (ABC warehouse)
2-Get a comparable model
3-Store Credit

Needless to say I was very happy with this. I chose the store Credit. Just had to wait for ABC warehouse to get the fax from LG.

Did some more research, and decided to go with Samsung Plasma PN60E550. I LOVE THIS TV!!!!!!!
I got this for $1298, had $450 left over. Bought a 26 cu ft side by side fridge for 799. Yes I spent more money, but much happier with TV and I have an awesome fridge now.

PRO's
Bigger better TV for much cheaper
Was worried about tv glare, but not a problem at all.
Free wireless 3D Blu Ray too.
Picture is amazing!
60" instead of 55"! Huge difference.
HBO GO is on this TV too. LG does not have this available yet.
Side note on that too: I was watching HBO go through xbox on my 3mg DSL and the picture was horrible. I know the internet sucks but it is the best i can get at my house. Using HBO go straight through TV comes in HD!!! Not sure why the XBOX was not doing that on the LG. I am good with settings and cables. Just another great side effect from switching.
HULU plus is HD also.
Remote is normal, I hated the fancy LG remote.
Switching inputs is fast. LG was horrible.

Cons:

Not big on 3D. Only watched about 1/2 hour of 3D on both TV's. But I do think the passive 3D on the LG was better.

TV does have a subtle buzz. I can only hear it when there is no sound. Only from directly in front of TV too. On the side i cannot hear it. I see that this is common for this TV, I don't know if I am going to try and fix or exchange this or not.

Awesome web site!
marcwmu1@hotmail.com
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page