I need help picking out a 70" TV on a $3000 budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen so many 70" TVs that are poorly reviewed and I am confused as what to buy. I don't care about smart TV or 3D as i would never use the 3D and I have my own devices for streaming services. and of course for a TV this size i have my own sound system so i don't care if the TV even has speakers. Plasma and LCD are both fine but I would really, really hate to have screen burn in. Picture quality and price are all I'm concerned with. I am sorry about asking what many of you think of as such a simple decision but I have never spent more than $600 on a TV and this type of product is new to me.
smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Here is a review from CNET of the Sharp lc-70le640u. It's available online and at B&M's such as Best Buy, Costco Sam's Club, Sears, etc.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-70le640u/4505-6482_7-35123265.html
post #3 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM

The Sharp LC-70LE735U also has outstanding picture quality for about $3000 if you search online.

This Mitsubishi is another moderately priced set that you can find outstanding deals for: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396445,00.asp
post #4 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydoubeG View Post

I have seen so many 70" TVs that are poorly reviewed and I am confused as what to buy. I don't care about smart TV or 3D as i would never use the 3D and I have my own devices for streaming services. and of course for a TV this size i have my own sound system so i don't care if the TV even has speakers. Plasma and LCD are both fine but I would really, really hate to have screen burn in. Picture quality and price are all I'm concerned with. I am sorry about asking what many of you think of as such a simple decision but I have never spent more than $600 on a TV and this type of product is new to me.
smile.gif

Just browse the Sharp 70" owners threads. You will find that most people are very happy with them. I have owned a Sharp 70" set for over a year and consider it to be an excellent purchase.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM

concur ... their are alot of perfectionist types on this site,they wouldnt be happy 100% with anything,its just part of the hobby unfortunately
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM

Liked: 37
agreed there is no perfect tv then you get into the whole edge lit vs full array fight etc my friend has the 64u and is more then happy with it not giving him issues and the picture quality is good now of course with any tv if you have it calibrated then there you go smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Sharp is about the only game in town for 70" - No plasma in 70" sizing and the Mits mentioned above is not a flat panel - it's a RPTV that is thinnner than in the past but simply remains ridiculously thick and fat compared to plasma and LCD.

Review the 70" owners feedback over at Amazon, Best Buy of the 70" Sharp that meets your budget and then go audition them - reading owners threads here can be tricky and as you'll rarely find a single thread here that isn't tainted by OCD owners as Happy owners often never seek out a Forum to share their experience - they just sit back and enjoy whereas threads can run seemingly infinite here with redundant posts that run on and on and the hobby or soapbox kicks in as a platform so you need to differentiate one from the other and then take what you learn that is meaningful to you and audition for your own eyes and what says WoW to you regardless of what you see here.

Some of the best feedback I've witnessed on the Sharp is the 632 series. You could probably get a 65" plasma under your budget but make sure you have the lighting conditions to make it shine. I'm 100% anti-plasma as I have a southern exposure with tall windows and I hated the one I had for the week or so I owned it as it was a reflective nightmare 24/7 that was washed out during the day that made dark video games and movies unviewable on sunny days and the dirty gray or yellowish whites truly sucked after being used to bright whites of LCD - some love plasma here and bravo for them but I couldn't tolerate it and took a sizable loss to get it the hell out of my HT. Bottom line do your homework and then let your eyes and wallet be the judge - Good Luck!smile.gif
deathbydoubeG likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page