5.1 Surround sound system not working on Samsung ES 8000 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i have a Samsung ES8000 Series 8 SMART TV, i have tried to connect my TV to a 5.1 surround sound system via a optical cable but i only get the front speakers working so not getting proper surround sound, if i connect the cable to the back of my SKY box i get full surround sound working fine so i know cable and 5.1 system is working fine, any ideas why it does not work when i plug into TV ? thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Zambas View Post

Hi i have a Samsung ES8000 Series 8 SMART TV, i have tried to connect my TV to a 5.1 surround sound system via a optical cable but i only get the front speakers working so not getting proper surround sound, if i connect the cable to the back of my SKY box i get full surround sound working fine so i know cable and 5.1 system is working fine, any ideas why it does not work when i plug into TV ? thanks in advance for any help

Most TV's will only passthrough 2.1 over optical from external sources like STB's and Bluray players. Does your receiver have any HDMI ports and do any of them support Audio Return Channel?

Looky here!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

It has a HDMI port as it has a DVD player for that port but not sure if this is Audio return,i dont think so as u have to select the DVD player so when u dont select it it is not active, i just want 5.1 surrond to come from TV rather the sattelite so when i turn off tv the sound turns as at the moment i turn TV off but sound is still on as it comes from SKY box
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 32
What are you watching, that you are only getting 2.1? If it is through an application such as Netflix, you will only get 2.1. Need to know more as to what the avrs is that you are using, so that others can be of better help.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Zambas View Post

It has a HDMI port as it has a DVD player for that port but not sure if this is Audio return,i dont think so as u have to select the DVD player so when u dont select it it is not active, i just want 5.1 surrond to come from TV rather the sattelite so when i turn off tv the sound turns as at the moment i turn TV off but sound is still on as it comes from SKY box

If your receiver only has one hdmi port, than it's an output and not an input. As stated above, about 95% of tv's will not passthrough 5.1 audio from an external hdmi source to the optical port. The optical port on the tv will only output 5.1 from the OTA tuner. Since your receiver does not have hdmi inputs, you will have to connect the optical cable to whatever source you want.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply, if i understand you corectly i will have to conect the optical lead from my surround system to my SKY box to get 5.1 sound? as my TV will not output 5.1 surround sound?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply , I just have a SKY box my TV and my LG DVD 5.1 surround sound system, when i connect my optical cable from my surround sound to my SKY box any programme with DD will come out as 5.1 surround sound, but, when i connect the same optical lead from my surround sound system to my TV instead of my SKY box when i watch a DD programme i do not get surround sound and just get 2.1 sound , hope this helps?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's normal for the majority of displays.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page