LG 55LM8600 vs Samsung UN55ES8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to get a new TV very soon and I am currently torn between these two TVs. I was just wondering how the picture quality compares between the two. Also how does the 3D compare? Every time I look at the 3D in the store the LG has a demo that has stuff flying out of the screen and lots of depth and looks really impressive. Then I go over to the Samsung and I can barely even tell I am looking at 3D. Is that because LG is that much more superior or is it just because Samsung's demo sucks? Also the Samsung looked far brighter and more vivid than the LG, but I chocked that up to poor calibration. Is this a correct assumption?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM

I am anxiously awaiting some responses to your dilemma as I have the exact same dilemma you do: Samsung or LG LED.

I also agree with you opinions that the LG's passive 3D is much better than the Samsung's active 3D, and that Samsung has a brighter, more vivid (and in my eyes, just plain better looking) picture quality than the LG. When I started looking at TVs in Best Buy, it seemed like every LED that caught my eye was a Samsung. When I had decided to get a Samsung, the salesperson started pushing LGs and their passive 3D hard on me. After going home and doing a bunch of review reading - in which most of the reviews from sites like Amazon spoke VERY favorably about LGs - now it's neck-in-neck between the two. I plain on mainly playing my PS3 on whichever I get, so I'm also curious about if one of the other has a better reputation for gaming consoles (in terms of motion-blur, input lag, etc.).

I'm about to go nuts trying to make a decision because I'm ready for a new TV! I feel your pain. Lol
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 20
You people need to read through the official threads for these TVs and form your own opinion. People who own one of them will mostly tell you theirs is the best choice. People who have had both and can give you their opinion based on that will tell you the best one is the one they settled on.

I can tell you this: I own the 55LM8600.
I was leaning toward the ES8000 because I just liked the idea of Samsung over LG.
The price was right on the LG. It's beautiful. The picture is superb. It's networking capabilities are great. The 3D is excellent(though I don't care about it).

Bad things you will find with both TVS
Flashlighting, which I can tame down with local dimming settings.
Lightbleed, which I can tame down with backlighting settings.

Now....drumroll please......

The worst thing....the thing that pisses me off very much......the thing that will ultimately drive me to buy another tv well before I should.....the thing I think is not a priority with engineers at all.......the thing they commonly try to cover up by creating "PC" and "Game mode" video settings......

INPUT LAG!
It drives me insane. It's bad on both models, but I can tell you it(Xbox 360) is horrible on this LG.

Educate yourselves!

/end of my diatribe.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM

good reveiw.. iwould of thought lag would have been solved al long time ago..the old lcd comp monitors use to have that issue,but even the cheaper 22 and 27 inch computer flat screens these days are super crisp with games and motion blur. I am thinking of buying the 8600 for a exrtra room that will have a ps3 in with it. Do you think in game mode the tv is going to lag so bad that game play will suffer for younger players that are not tv savy?
Im thinking of going with the lg 5560 that costco has a big rebate on now,$1100 for it and it comes with a 22 inch lcd also.cheapest I can find the 8600 is still on amazon for 1400 used. Did you get your second one you ordered from them yet? Let me know how that turns out.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

good reveiw.. iwould of thought lag would have been solved al long time ago..the old lcd comp monitors use to have that issue,but even the cheaper 22 and 27 inch computer flat screens these days are super crisp with games and motion blur. I am thinking of buying the 8600 for a exrtra room that will have a ps3 in with it. Do you think in game mode the tv is going to lag so bad that game play will suffer for younger players that are not tv savy?
Im thinking of going with the lg 5560 that costco has a big rebate on now,$1100 for it and it comes with a 22 inch lcd also.cheapest I can find the 8600 is still on amazon for 1400 used. Did you get your second one you ordered from them yet? Let me know how that turns out.

Bought it for my parents. It is being delivered this week.

I forgot to mention this about lag:
I have found Ghost Recon virtually impossible to play online. The lag is so bad, I can offer no competition. I can however, suffer through while playing the campaign, solo.
I have found that COD MW3 Is much less laggy and I am still competitive while playing online.

Batman:Arkham Asylum is a single-player game.....It's so bad I can't even play it.

A good theory exists:
The less bells and whistles that a tv has, the less input lag there will be, as there is less processing going on. I don't know this to be true. It sounds good, but here are a couple things to make me think it might not be so true. The LM8600 has a dual core processor and it is still bad. The LM8600 also has "PC" and "Game" modes, which supposedly eliminate much processing(I believe this to be true because the lag seems to be worse if I use different modes), however, as I said.....I still find the lag excruciatingly painful.
Kids might not notice unless they are avid gamers. They might adapt.....they might just think they are not good at video gaming.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page