HX929 vs VT50 for my specific requirements? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the wealth of information that I have been able to gather from this forum. I wanted to see if I could get recommendations and thoughts on the best HDTV for my specific requirements.

- The TV will be placed in a 2 level family room with light from all three sides and from 2 stories high, so reflections and visibility in bright light is a strong consideration
- I will be watching both HD and SD channels equally along with DVD content
- Price is not so much of a consideration
- After initial calibration, I would prefer to leave the TV on just one setting for all SD/HD and daytime/nighttime viewing

From all my reading, I gather that the Sony XBR HX929 and the Panasonic VT50 are good options. I would appreciate any advice on which should be my preferred model. Also, are there any other models that would suit my requirements better (except the Sharp Elite - I don't want to stretch my budget that far)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 14
In this case, i don't think even good placement will help either because:
1) You can avoid glare from direct light reflection
or
2) You avoid reflection of objects

Unless perhaps the side with no windows is facing south...

I would assume number 1 is the first you would want to avoid and in either case the Plasma will probably struggle to show you a good picture.
alwaysBrowsing likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 271
In any case you need two calibrated settings, one for daytime viewing and one for nighttime viewing. Also hdmi imputs (1) for cable/satellite and (hdmi imput 2) bluray-player need to be calibrated, thats four calibrations which is kind of the minimum.

You can get some calibration info in the Display Calibration Forum, lots of pro's over there smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/f/139/display-calibration
post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you're considering a HX929,you better hurry. They've just been discontinued. Stock is disappearing fast.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

In any case you need two calibrated settings, one for daytime viewing and one for nighttime viewing. Also hdmi imputs (1) for cable/satellite and (hdmi imput 2) bluray-player need to be calibrated, thats four calibrations which is kind of the minimum.
You can get some calibration info in the Display Calibration Forum, lots of pro's over there smile.gif
Thanks for your response. I probably need to educate myself more on calibration. But does this mean that I will have to change a picture setting every time I alternate between daytime and nighttime viewing and/or between input sources. If so, that would be an issue since knowing myself, I will consistently miss doing that.

Is there not a TV option where one setting can be set for near optimal viewing in all situations? I read that the Sony has a light sensor that automatically changes the brightness based on the lighting.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for your response. I probably need to educate myself more on calibration. But does this mean that I will have to change a picture setting every time I alternate between daytime and nighttime viewing and/or between input sources. If so, that would be an issue since knowing myself, I will consistently miss doing that.

Is there not a TV option where one setting can be set for near optimal viewing in all situations? I read that the Sony has a light sensor that automatically changes the brightness based on the lighting.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBrowsing 

When you hire a pro for calibration he wil calibrate daytime and nighttime settings, he won't do a 'in between' calibration. A pro calibrated my TV for a nearly dark room, these setting sucks for daytime viewing. I would not use the lightsensor (lot's of brand have em).

There will be different settings on HDMI input1/ HDMI input2 so you won't have to change that. Check out if TV has day/night mode then you can change settings by pushing a button. If not you can calibrate in different picture mode, on the Sony that is cinema/custom, in that case you can change picture mode.

All of that is when you hire a pro (and want a accurate picture).
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you hire a pro for calibration he wil calibrate daytime and nighttime settings, he won't do a 'in between' calibration. A pro calibrated my TV for a nearly dark room, these setting sucks for daytime viewing. I would not use the lightsensor (lot's of brand have em).
There will be different settings on HDMI input1/ HDMI input2 so you won't have to change that. Check out if TV has day/night mode then you can change settings by pushing a button. If not you can calibrate in different picture mode, on the Sony that is cinema/custom, in that case you can change picture mode.
All of that is when you hire a pro (and want a accurate picture).
Thanks again for your response. In which case, I will probably have to reconcile to not-the-best-possible picture quality on the TV. Knowing myself and my family, I know that this TV in the family room will be used in difference light settings without anyone remembering or making it a point to change a TV picture setting (even if it can me made to be as simple a changing just one setting). The TV will be used 99% in either daylight or under the lights and very rarely in a dark environment.

Under these circumstances, which TV among these two (or any other TV) provides the best possibility for an optimal picture quality under one setting (per input source) in all lighted viewing conditions?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBrowsing View Post

Thanks again for your response. In which case, I will probably have to reconcile to not-the-best-possible picture quality on the TV. Knowing myself and my family, I know that this TV in the family room will be used in difference light settings without anyone remembering or making it a point to change a TV picture setting (even if it can me made to be as simple a changing just one setting). The TV will be used 99% in either daylight or under the lights and very rarely in a dark environment.
Under these circumstances, which TV among these two (or any other TV) provides the best possibility for an optimal picture quality under one setting (per input source) in all lighted viewing conditions?

If at least 50% of your viewing is in daylight conditions I would say the 929. But as others have said, if that's your choice I wouldn't wait to long with stock diminishing.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBrowsing View Post

I use my HX929 for exactly this. I adjusted it with the settings from this forum and we never switch it based on conditions or source material. It's a fine looking screen, I'd recommend it strongly for a family room.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page