55" Sony XBR HX929 best buy display model for $1800? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seriously considering buying the hx929 and I saw this store model on sale. I am told that it has been on display for the past six months? The manufacturer's 1 year warranty applies, but no additional best buy warranty. Is this a good buy? What would be any concerns?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBrowsing View Post

I am seriously considering buying the hx929 and I saw this store model on sale. I am told that it has been on display for the past six months? The manufacturer's 1 year warranty applies, but no additional best buy warranty. Is this a good buy? What would be any concerns?
Thanks!

See if you can talk them into throwing in a 4 year extended warranty and then you have the 30 day period to evaluate. Even if it was on 24/7 for that 6 month period the hours would still be be under 5,000 hours.
alwaysBrowsing likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked: 12
if you can buy it as if it were "new" - you could purchase an extended warranty through Sony, as long as the receipt wasn't labeled as "used" or "display model, refurb" etc. Also if best buy registered the TV with Sony you would not be able to purchase an extended warranty. You could try writing down the serial number of the TV and calling Sony, ask to purchase a 3 or 4 year extended warranty, if no problem arises and they let you check out, i would go for it (as long as the receipt did not show any sign of it's used condition)

good luck

edit: i would also read up on the hx929 owners thread and see if the set at best buy has any of the issues that owners in that thread are experiencing. I know banding effects a large number of these sets. It could be that the display model is in perfect condition and has no or little to no banding/ghosting/dead pixels etc and then i would say you hit the jack pot.
alwaysBrowsing likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I'll check with the best buy folks again tomorrow. I'll also educate myself on the potential issues on this model and how to identify them.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM

i say buy it, i bought a Sony xbr 5 52" from BB that was their display model about 4 1/2 years ago. i was concerned that maybe it would quit working or something because of being turned on for awhile. it has not given me any problems at all. i am currently looking for the same model(HX929), in 65" being used as a display. one things for sure when buying the set you're considering, you already know how that TV's picture/display looks and you're sure it works right. i payed twice that price for the 52", but that was awhile ago when big(ish), 120 hz. 1080 flat screens were spendy. one suggestion, talk to the manager of the store and ask them if they'll take less, or offer them a lot less for it, like $1,000, or less even. BB has a policy on their open box, discontinued models of taking a best offer type deal to move it out of their stores, maybe use a credit card, a lot of them will double the TV's warranty, i did that and got a three year warranty on my 52". i think the only downside is transporting it without a box, you can buy TV box's at U Haul i think. i HIGHLY reccomend using a box and packing materials to get it home. i'll say one thing about my sony, the pg still looks good for a five + y/o set, i just need a bigger one.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Isn't the 929 an 2011 model? I believe the 950 is the 2012 model! With that said how can it be only four months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page