Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
PMA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,

I have been looking at the various threads on specific models and am a bit confused. Is it only the Sharp 80" that has full array while all others are edge lit? I am considering upgrading from my Samsung UN55B8500 but want the best LED backlight technology available.

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations from the better informed.

Thanks and regards,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

Hi all,

I have been looking at the various threads on specific models and am a bit confused. Is it only the Sharp 80" that has full array while all others are edge lit? I am considering upgrading from my Samsung UN55B8500 but want the best LED backlight technology available.

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations from the better informed.

Thanks and regards,
Paul

Paul the 80" Sharp though back lit it is not local dimming. The largest back lit local dimming display is the Sharp Elite, which is 70"

Sent from my Awesome Phone via Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Not alot of options, you may want to wait until this hits http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-cinemawide-xvt3d710cm/4505-6482_7-35118075.html

The smaller models are edgelit, the 71" will be full array with local dimming when it hits.
The edge lit models are average but the non cinema wide 2012 led lcds from vizio are very good values so it might be something to keep an eye on.

You could dish out for a 70" sharp elite http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-elite-pro-70x5fd/4505-6482_7-35004014.html Best led you can buy and a price to match biggrin.gif

You could also check this out if you don't mind sacrificing 5" http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-xbr-65hx929/4505-6482_7-34468617.html

You could also buy a plasma like the vt50 from Panasonic or one of their value priced models the st50 and gt50 (nearly the same performance for significantly less)

You will still be sacrificing 5" as they are only sold up to 65". The performance on any of them will beat your current tv, they are cheap and they may even perform better in daylight (very effective anti glare filters vs the current glossy led screens, not quite as bright though) They would give deeper blacks than your current tv, better off angle viewing and you could say goodbye to blooming.

If you do go the plasma route read up on situations where people are seeing image retention, if you will have static content on the screen.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the very good information. Sounds like I should wait a while longer to get what I really want. I'm not sure I want to pay for the Elite although it looks tempting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page