50-60" LED TV for cord cutting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in need of new tv to replace my aging Sony 50" SXRD which will be relegated to the basement for game playing and kids movies.

I've recently moved and decided not to renew my subscription to the monster that is Time Warner in this area. My wife and I have been living on Hulu and Netflix, and I'm also going to get a decent antenna for OTA broadcasts.

That being said, I want a TV with good to excellent smart features. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and DLNA are a must. We really want a nice clean setup. Nothing on the wall but the TV. Right now, we are using a combination of TV, PS3, Computer, and Logitech Revue to view TV. I would really like to bring that all in to one device.

The area has a lot of natural light, so I'm thinking that LED is my best bet. I'm wanting to go with 55" or so, but I'm thinking anything in the 50-60" range will work for me. We do watch some sports, so a good refresh will be key. I would like some decent sound as I don't want to add a whole entertainment system in this room. 3D is a cool feature, but not very high on the list of things we will actually use.

Absolute top budget will be $3K, but less is always better...

I'm thinking that for the price, I should look at the Samsung 55ES8000 and the LG 55LM9600 as my high end...

The LG 55LM8600 seems very tempting as well. Good price point (around $1500), and a dual core processor which should help make the cord cutting a bit snappier. I'm not sure what Samsung would be in the same range with a dual core processor? Something in the 7 series?

Which of these has a better "Smart" experience?

Are there other brands/models I should be considering?

I've been reading through some of the threads here, and quite honestly, the amount of data is overwhelming. Most seem to focus on PQ. Although that is important to me, I think that just about anything is going to be a step up from my current setup.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sounds like u been ignoring the threads that go, SmarTVs sux, buy a TV for its PQ, THEN add additional boxes for the smart. BUT if you are against adding boxes that would be a major impediment in the eyes of the majority here.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Sounds like u been ignoring the threads that go, SmarTVs sux, buy a TV for its PQ, THEN add additional boxes for the smart. BUT if you are against adding boxes that would be a major impediment in the eyes of the majority here.

that doesn't sound promising then...

Because there are really no good boxes that do everything that I want that can be hidden, yet easily controlled with a single remote (I prefer harmony).

Perhaps I need to think this over more...

I was really hoping just to have a TV visible on a wall that does everything that I need it to.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Liked: 20
LM8600. I need no other "boxes". I don't use netflix or HULU or any of those subscription apps. I do network and stream my own content. This TV is great for that.
I am guessing you will have a Bluray player......good ones have all the apps and networking capabilities that smart tvs do, however, my LM8600 neworks better than my Sony bdp 590.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Assuming that the LM8600 is my starting point, what other sets should I take a look at? What is comparible to that?

I might try and do an IR repeater setup to keep my wall clean instead. That being the case, I may just go for a decent set at around $1500, and lower the need for "smart" options.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page