LCD picture quality question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I currently have a Sony KDS-50A2000, which is one their SXRD rear projection TV's. Other than a bulb replacement there have been none of the optical block problems which have plagued many owners.

My question is this. I am considering the purchase of a LCD flat panel such as the Samsumg 6150 series or Vizio M550SL series. Will there be a noticeable improvement in picture quality with a new
LCD over the rear projection TV I currently have and are there any other benefits of moving to a LCD flat panel?

thanks
Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Will there be a noticeable improvement in picture quality with a new
LCD over the rear projection TV I currently have and are there any other benefits of moving to a LCD flat panel?

I have (I believe) what was the first of the sony widescreen that was called the grand wega (60"). Like yours, it has a very good picture and does very well with poor signals (good processor). Their are TV's that will look better and plenty that won't. Other benafits would be things like thinness, less wieght, no bulb, neweer HDMI, 3D, Apps, ARC,ect... The biggest benifit, other than 3D (my opinion) would be going bigger or and/or waiting for 4K.
I'am not familiar with the TV's you listed, but I dought that there is a 50" TV out there on the cheap side that will have a better picture than what you have. You would probably have to go on the high side (due to the SXRD's being as good looking as they are). Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

I have (I believe) what was the first of the sony widescreen that was called the grand wega (60"). Like yours, it has a very good picture and does very well with poor signals (good processor). Their are TV's that will look better and plenty that won't. Other benafits would be things like thinness, less wieght, no bulb, neweer HDMI, 3D, Apps, ARC,ect... The biggest benifit, other than 3D (my opinion) would be going bigger or and/or waiting for 4K.
I'am not familiar with the TV's you listed, but I dought that there is a 50" TV out there on the cheap side that will have a better picture than what you have. You would probably have to go on the high side (due to the SXRD's being as good looking as they are). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. The main reason I was looking are as you mentioned the thinness, newer HDMI and apps. I am not that concerned about the 3d features as I don't think I would get that much use out of it. The SXRD does have a great picture, so I guess if I am going to replace it and want the same quality of picture I am going to need to look at some other options.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I moved to a Samsung UN55D8000 from a Sony KDF55 e2000 LCD rear projection tv. It was a great tv for its time but you will see a great improvement in picture clarity and fast action in sports is much better. No more screen door effect.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
There should be a fairly noticeable difference in picture quality and contrast, in addition to applications and features of course. You should keep an eye out for deals on newer HD sets.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kds 50a2000 Kds50a2000 Bare Lamp Xl5200 , Vizio M550sl 55 Inch 120 Hz Class Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv With Vizio Internet Apps Black
Gear in this thread - M550sl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page