Looking for recommendations for a TV for gaming. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am currently in the market for a 60" - 65" TV, most likely that size.

I'm also pretty into console gaming. I'm specifically into competitive fighting games.

Since timing is so strict on these games, I am extremely sensitive to input lag.

My current TV is a Samsung DLP from 2004, and it has MAJOR input lag. I didn't even know about this until about 6 months after I owned SF4 back in 2009 and ended up playing at a get together on a CRT, and my timing was totally off. I then learned about input lag, and realized my DLP had REALLY bad lag.

I ended up buying an Asus monitor that is virtually lagless, to game on. I've been using that the past 2 or so years to game, but now that I'm moving and buying a new TV, I want to try and get a TV that I can actually game on.

Right now I'm considering a Panasonic ST50 plasma TV, but I also want to see if there are any that have low input-lag in the LCD/LED side of things. I know that plasma's in general can still get some burn-in issues, and just reading over on the plasma forums I see people have had issues with that specific model. But that model has about 16ms of input lag, which is about as good as you can get on a TV from the research I've done (my Asus monitor is 8ms).

So does anyone have any recommendations for a virtually "lagless" LCD/LED panel that is good for gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I am currently in the market for a 60" - 65" TV, most likely that size.
I'm also pretty into console gaming. I'm specifically into competitive fighting games.
Since timing is so strict on these games, I am extremely sensitive to input lag.
My current TV is a Samsung DLP from 2004, and it has MAJOR input lag. I didn't even know about this until about 6 months after I owned SF4 back in 2009 and ended up playing at a get together on a CRT, and my timing was totally off. I then learned about input lag, and realized my DLP had REALLY bad lag.
I ended up buying an Asus monitor that is virtually lagless, to game on. I've been using that the past 2 or so years to game, but now that I'm moving and buying a new TV, I want to try and get a TV that I can actually game on.
Right now I'm considering a Panasonic ST50 plasma TV, but I also want to see if there are any that have low input-lag in the LCD/LED side of things. I know that plasma's in general can still get some burn-in issues, and just reading over on the plasma forums I see people have had issues with that specific model. But that model has about 16ms of input lag, which is about as good as you can get on a TV from the research I've done (my Asus monitor is 8ms).
So does anyone have any recommendations for a virtually "lagless" LCD/LED panel that is good for gaming?

consider the Sharp, LG, and Panasonic brands (definitely avoid Samsung, which has the most input lag on average of any brand)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

consider the Sharp, LG, and Panasonic brands (definitely avoid Samsung, which has the most input lag on average of any brand)

I hate to say this, but you're full of beans. I'm on my second Samsung, a PN60E550 from a PN58B650, and all I do is game. Mostly COD or other FPS games. Actually 3 of us game, the wife and daughter too. The Samsung's play fine.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

I hate to say this, but you're full of beans. I'm on my second Samsung, a PN60E550 from a PN58B650, and all I do is game. Mostly COD or other FPS games. Actually 3 of us game, the wife and daughter too. The Samsung's play fine.

those are plasmas and I was referring to LCDs (as this is the lcd forum); also, I'm sure the Samsung plasmas have some input lag too, just not enough for most to notice or care
Straybeat likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

those are plasmas and I was referring to LCDs (as this is the lcd forum); also, I'm sure the Samsung plasmas have some input lag too, just not enough for most to notice or care

My apologies, I didn't notice I got bounced into the LCD forum? You are correct sir! wink.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
No problems with ES6800. People don't think to look for GAME MODE on the samsung led sets thats why. It's in a stupid place under "General"
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM

Liked: 12
From what I've read, Samsung plasma beats out anything lcd in the 60+ size if were talking lag and response times.

For gaming I would buy Samsung with warranty over Panasonic. Was it CNET that did that accidental burn in test

I'm still holding out for that affordable led projector with no lag, any year now I'm sure.

I was thinking of ordering one those kits off
http://www.kraylixarcade.com/ to replay all my childhood gaming memories, but its the wrong time of year to paint.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page