Samsung d7000 Super bright corner on start up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my 2nd d7000, first set had major banding and light leakage issues. The replacement tv is near perfect. I have had the tv for about 2 weeks and noticed recently that when I turn on the tv, there is a super bright corner. It’s as if the LED is turned on full brightness and projecting a bright line (beam) several inches into the screen(back light set to 8). After about 30 - 60 seconds the light fades away and all is normal. If I shut the tv off and then turn it back on the issue is not seen on startup. Only seems to happen if I have had the tv off for a while. It doesn’t bother me as, within about 30-60 seconds it is gone, but I want to be sure that this won't become a problem later down the road where the LED/screen is stuck like that all the time. From my research I found that light leakage/torch issues like this are usually caused in the manufacturing process and are seen right away. Its odd I didn't see this till after owning the set 2 weeks. I looked hard for any problems the first time I fired up the tv, so I know it wasn't there. Also find it odd that it disappears after a minute. I can crank the back up all the way on a black scene and see no leakage after warm up. I’m hesitant to swap the set out, as other than this small issue the panel is excellent. Anyone else experience this or have any input to the possible cause?
Thanks,
Kristopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
One possibility is clouding (mura) due to the color shift and deviation of the pixel structure. Though clouding can appear after a certain period of time, notably due to heat.

But considering that this happens momentarily and after being turned off for awhile, another possibility could be a faulty transistor BDB (Backlight Driver Board)
which is responsible for the LED segments' (zones) dimming.
krisgh15 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

^
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing with it being a dimmer issue. I don't know much about circuits, but I think you referring to the transistor (connector) as possibly having a bad connection? Maybe after a minute the set warms up enough to complete the connection? Would make sense that turning it off and on again immediately doesn't reproduce the issue once its warmed up. I'm concerned that one day it won't 'switch' and I'll be stuck with the hot spot. Is my understanding/concern valid?
I really don't want to take the set back, as its perfect other than this……..
post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Why don't you try turning off micro dimming and see if it still occurs. Though I'm not sure if the start-up screen will be affected
by the change of settings.

Your understanding is perfectly fine. In fact, you should not keep the television with the basis of contemplating with the problem
being a problem or not. This should not have occurred in the first place. I know how much of a hassle it can be to return it
and to worry about how the next set will be like. If your options are still open, you could try replacing it with an alternative brand name
such as Sony.

From what I know, the newer Samsung models no longer have their LEDs dim (micro-dimming) but rather use a software
based processing to make blacks appear blacker than they actual are in the video source. In my opinion, I would stay away
from that!

Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Update.... Tv was past the 30 day return period. I called Samsung, and they sent a tech as I was curious as to what was causing the issue and concerned that one day it would become permanent. The tech offered little explanation as to what was causing the issue, other than possible pressure from the frame being too tight. He noted the panel as being defective and eagerly replaced it. The current panel has major light leakage, and looks down right terrible when watching anything that is widescreen or dark. I know its the nature of the beast with edge lit leds tv, and its near impossible to get a perfect set, but at this point I'm upset. I would almost rather have my previous panel as that one was perfect, minus the start up/ warm up issue previously mentioned. I appreciate Samsung for coming out doing the replacement, but now I have a poor qaulity panel......mad.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Err... Usually replacement panels are different from the original. Samsung who was infamous for their panel lottery back then switched their panels with 2nd tier brand panels. If he only suggested that the frame was too tight he could have easily loosened the nails - - even internally. He was quick to jump on replacing your panel...
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

^ Once again thanks for the reply. I think part of the poor performance, could be cause by the fact that I can see the bright white LED strip along about half of the bottom edge of the tv if I walk up to the tv and look down. It’s about a 2mm gap between the screen and the bezel. This wasn't seen in the previous two panels, so I don't believe its common for this tv? It’s only seen when you look at the panel from about a foot away, standing and looking down. There is for sure bleeding along that edge, seen at normal viewing angles which I'm guessing is attributed it to. The top of the panel also has several pinch points (constant) which distort the blacks to look almost blueish. You are correct the guy quick to jump and replace the panel, lol literally so quick he put the tv back together without securing one of the boards to the back of the tv, he noticed it as he was leaving that the screws where sitting on his tool box. He slapped it back together and ran for the door. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fully look at the tv in depth before he left, as I was working from home and was on an business call. Blaaaah either way I'm not trying to play any blame game, I just want a tv, that I'm satisfied with considering the high cost of the tv..........cool.gif I’m going to give Samsung a call today to address my concerns.
...lol end of rant!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sad to hear about this man, so you think this gap has something to do with the panel being PUSHED in or something in result causing the flashlighting?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Well the LCD screen itself is compromised of several layers of film that all contribute to the overall picture. If you look closely enough, you can see the gap between the bezel and the light source.
The light source is after all in the very back of all these layers and that's why you see that gap.
But this is only noticeable when you actually stare down in very close proximity.

Those "pinch points" seem like an overtightened screw which is applying excess pressure. Are you able to access those screws?

He left very quickly so he wouldn't have to wait and see if the panel meets your expectations. He probably doesn't want to waste his time
arguing with the customer and sometimes he just wants to get it done and over with without regard to customer satisfaction.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

^Thanks for the info smile.gif
Repair shop has been authorized to order a new panel. Now I'm just crossing my fingers this next panel will be decent. :cool:l I tried loosening the exterior screws slightly and saw no improvement. I'm guessing the screws that attach the panel to the frame are under the back cover. At this point I don't want to open up the tv myself and start messing with the frame screws as the tv is under warranty. But that's good to know, if I see any pinch points with the new panel I'll bring it up to the tech as a option instead of going for another one.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page