I saw the Sony 84 inch 4K TV today - WOW! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
First, let me say my wife and I are very picky about display quality, we have Pioneer Kuro Elites in the living room (60 inch) and bedroom (50 inch). And we have a VP50 video processor in the living room which drastically improves everything. So we have quite a bit of experience with color, shadow detail, etc. But today we were floored when we saw the Sony 84-inch XBR-84X900, 3840 x 2160 LCD TV in action.

Sony was recording a showcase event and the store was closed, we happened to walk by at the time and the Sony guard said it would be open in 10 minutes and we could see this new TV the show was about. We went in and Sony had high level reps for the video who spent time with lucky us before they left. We stood 12 inches in front of this monster and it was absolutely sharp! I am not a fan of Sony TVs but this tops everything I have ever seen by leaps and bounds. Although it was edge lit the uniformity was superb and off-axis viewing had true colors even at unnatural viewing angels. I was really looking forward to an OLED to replace the PIos but no matter how good they will be I think this will top them, yes OLED is better than LCD but from what I saw an LCD jumping to 4k is much better.

They were going to take it down right after the video was made but they said the big wigs just decided to leave it up for a few days. If you are near the Stanford Shopping Mall in Palo Alto this weekend you can get a viewing of it playing 4k source material. The only bummer is that they are not allowed to play 1080p source which I really wanted to see how the internal scaler will handle.

They said pricing, specifications and availability will be announced next week. Oh yeah... we don't work for Sony, I have not bought a Sony TV since they made tube TVs. I am just excited about 4K and thought some here might like to go see it if they live close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I felt the same way when I saw 4k at CES this past January. Glad you enjoyed it.

By the way, I expect the Sony's price to be approximately $20,000.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Can you comment on the motion quality? I assume it is using Sony's new CXD4736GB 4K IC Controller chip. Are they still using that tired "cherry blossom" 4K demo material or did they at least run The Amazing Spiderman 4K trailer.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stopped by and saw this today. Some of the content samples are really nice. The store itself has too much light to properly evaluate, of course, but what can you do?

They did say that they are not planning to take it down. They have a fairly fancy-looking display in front of it with seating and stuff, so I am inclined to believe it will stay.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Even if I did manage to pony up 20k for the television. I don't see how I could ever fit that through the door to my house!
post #6 of 16 Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
heres a link

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV

I wonder which 4K TV will be the number 1 out there, we have LG coming in November possibly October and we have Sharp as well, Samsung end of the new maybe, Toshiba will be out next year. So many contenders this should be fun, sonys price apparently might be around $30'000 which again is insane who will buy that at that price.

Even the 4K fron LG is apparently $22'000 so time will tell i am iching to buy

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #7 of 16 Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Even if I did manage to pony up 20k for the television. I don't see how I could ever fit that through the door to my house!

As long as you do not have any tight corner leading to the room you want it in, there should be no problem. I don't want to look it up again but I think the 90" are only 5 ft high at most. I think the TCL 110" was still way under 6 feet height. Even the smaller door openings are around 6 feet 8" in the US. You will need about a 10 foot wall to put it on and 1.5-2PH is recommend for 4K, so about 12-14 feet back from the screen. If you wall mount should be no problem for most houses.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

I wonder which 4K TV will be the number 1 out there, we have LG coming in November possibly October and we have Sharp as well, Samsung end of the new maybe, Toshiba will be out next year.

Can you provide a link, that confirms Sharp will be selling a 4K, and when will it hit market.
When you say Sharp, are you referring to Sharp Elite? What size will the Sharp 4K be?

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Can you provide a link, that confirms Sharp will be selling a 4K, and when will it hit market.
When you say Sharp, are you referring to Sharp Elite? What size will the Sharp 4K be?

AFAIK only the 32" 4K panel has been confirmed to ship this year. Most likely as an Apple 4K computer monitor or Sharp's own computer monitor for professionals. The rest is all rumors off of the 60" and 70" 4K displays they showed at CES in January. You would think if they had anything more substantial they would have demoed at IFA last week. They did show a 90" 1080p with full array back-light and local dimming at a professional signage show a few months back. It would be easy to re-brand that as a 90" Elite, but there is no news of that either. My guess is they may do a 80" Elite soon, but hold off on the 4K 90" stuff until CES 2013 for release summer of 2013. Given how cheaply Sharp can sell large format displays versus other manufactures, they would be the best hope for a "reasonably" priced large format 4K set under $10,000.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply sytech,

What I find amusing about these electronic shows like CES and IFA, is that companies will show off a product we'd love to have, that they say will come to market by the end of the year, and most likely will not.
Now let's throw in the mix what Sony just did. A new XBR-84X900 is on display now at some Sony stores, is shown on their website as "coming soon", yet they did not display it at the CES show earlier this year. We had on idea they were going to sell a large display.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #11 of 16 Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a good buddy who works for sony corporate, it was their strategy all along, watch what evryone else was doing while they were implementing their own stuff. Apparently if they can they will make it fullarray insted of local dimming by decembers end. here is another link and a somehwat review look over
http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-kd-84x9005-review

Sharp elite tv i have been waiting for the 80inch now for a few months, its still a rumor but not sure what their doing anymore, but why would you buy 1080p tv now when 4K is just around the corner, it does not make sense, which is why i think sharp held off on their 80inch elite release. I did read how ever about sharp releasing a 4K by the end of the year rumor or not.

I will be talking to my buddy this week about pricing for this TV, Sony is very expesive compared to the likes of samsung and sharp, even with my hook up i still think i wont be able to afford this TV:(

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #12 of 16 Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Go to the 4K movies for now. Until you can get movie quality 4K in the home, a 4K TV will not make much difference. You can be sure Sony was/is showing 4K movie quality video on that demo. The reason they don't want to throw up HD is it won't help it much and the TV won't look spectacular anymore. It's more the source than the TV.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone that has seen the set in person experienced the "Splitview" feature. Where you have 2 (1080p) images being displayed at the same time. It sounds quite literally like a game changer as 2 people can play the same game at the same time using the whole screen. Could be great for 2 people who want to watch different programs at the same time. Although you would have to pipe the audio through the glasses for the separate audio tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEBoLUONm-s&feature=related
post #14 of 16 Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Has anyone that has seen the set in person experienced the "Splitview" feature. Where you have 2 (1080p) images being displayed at the same time.

This functionality is through the PS3, the store I saw it in didn't have a PS3 hooked up and I'm sure based on how the display was setup in the store I saw it in, they won't have any PS3s hooked up to the other demo setups as well. I'm sure they're trying to cater to an elite demographic not the typical mom and pop with the teen gamer.

Given the price range of this TV, I'm thinking the number of buyers that will hook up a PS3 to be minimal as well. I guess we'll have to wait for a millionaire with a kid that games to give us a video review. :-)

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #15 of 16 Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Can you comment on the motion quality? I assume it is using Sony's new CXD4736GB 4K IC Controller chip. Are they still using that tired "cherry blossom" 4K demo material or did they at least run The Amazing Spiderman 4K trailer.

The demo I saw really didn't have a lot of fast motion. They did have a staged soccer scene where a player kicks a penalty kick through the goal and that was about as fast as the action ever got. No motion blur on that particular scene. Mostly slow pans and semi-static, wide angle landscapes. It looked like the majority of it was shot in Madrid, they had some beach scenes, cathedral scenes and other outdoor scenes. They also had a separate orchestral scene playing Flight of the Valkyries. The whole thing was about 7 minutes long.

They're using a 960 Mhz motion interpolation solution, I would imagine they have those bases covered.
Quote:

It's not as large as it sounds, it appeared smaller than I imagined in person.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 AM

Liked: 10

hi. all the nice info from sony and others on chip cxd4736gb.  but i see in new tv product i have looked at, that the chip inside  is called  cxd4741gb and also in another  tv: cxd4739bg.... but no info about this, not even new product announcing or product brochure. is this just the same as cxd4736gb? anyone know or think so? that it is just the newest version of xca8-4k chip???  if not, then what?  thank you!

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page