Toshiba 50L220U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A 50" Full Array LED TV for $699....thoughts? I've read some seemingly good reviews for this TV, and was just at PC Richards and it looked quite nice. However I saw someone got it for $588...I know the guys at PC Richards can sometimes cut you a deal if you know how to haggle a bit as a friend of mine once talked a sales associate to give him a new stereo for the same price as the floor model, and he did. So I'm going to try and get them to knock it down a few bucks and pick one up today. Any thoughts or opinions? I've never owned anything bigger then a 36" CRT and that was years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-50L2200U-50-Inch-60Hz-LED-LCD/dp/B0073K64NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346701648&sr=8-1&keywords=Toshiba+50L2200+50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since the TV does not have local dimming of any kind it is better then an edge lit LED model without local dimming but not as good as any LED TV Edge or Aray back lit that has local dimming.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

AFAIK these models are starting to show up since they are now less expensive to make then edge lit models.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Damn, glad I didn't buy, but 50" sure looked sweet in the store. I'm not too familiar with all the technical stuff, I'm just looking for something good to game on, big, around $700 or less, with little input lag as I plan to play PC games on it often. I know that's asking a lot for that price range, but it's what I'm looking for in a TV, I thought this was the one for me. I'll keep my eye out though, I've been looking all week. And for the record the guys at PC Richards didn't budge on the price....but they basically said if it was ever on sale before they'd honor old sales, and if anyone can link an invoice to a lower price I would get that price as well.

Still overall I think that's a pretty good deal for a 50" TV, just not the right one for me.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
tv's just a little too bulky and only 60hz as well
post #5 of 18 Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

It's been hard for me to get replies on this site so let me ask here, what tv would you guys recommend for me at around $700?

I do game a lot, and plan to have my gaming PC hooked to the monitor permanently. I play FPS's like BF3 a lot, and many other PC games. I really want at least 47" so I can sit in my bed and use a 360 controller to play from the distance.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Liked: 10
Does it need to be 47" IMO you'd really be sacrificing PQ at that price point for 47".....For a 42" set there are a lot of good options at that price but for 47" you're getting a big picture but some of the entry level models for each company. What are your top 2 qualities (e.g. PQ, 120hz, 3d, smart functionality,etc)
post #7 of 18 Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't really know the difference between 120hz and 60hz, all I know is that I want it to be good for gaming as far as input lag is concerned, and have great picture quality. Smart TV's as in tv's with Ap's I think you mean don't really concern me, a USB plug in would be cool for certain downloads of mine, but unnecessary because as I said my PC will be hooked up to it 24/7 anyway. I'd like to get a big TV because I have a big room and after work I like to just sit on my bed and watch a movie or a few tv shows, or maybe game, but my current 23" is way too small for that. The TV I get I plan to mount to the wall, and the distance from my bed where'd I'd sit to the wall is 13 and a half feet. So ideally sitting 13 feet away from the set, what size would be most enjoyable?
post #8 of 18 Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so after checking a size chart it seems 47" would be about perfect for my needs.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM

I just bought this TV and wanted some feedback on whether it was a good buy or not since I'm not much of a video-phile.

My last TV was this Sharp Aquos LC32D44U 32-Inch which I bought about 4 years ago, so this Toshiba is obviously much nicer to use.

I paid $522.59 after tax and with a $10 credit added ($489.99 + $42.60 Tax - $10 Reward Zone Credit) and I'm still in my 30 day return period to return it. Do you guys think it's a good deal at that price? I know there are other 50" sets for less, but they aren't name brand, and most of the reviews online for this seem positive.

I'm mostly using it for light TV watching, some movies, and video gaming. I occasionally may hook up my PC to it as well.

Any feedback you guys can give me? Thanks.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I was lucky to get the BF deal. Anyway after applying the settings suggested by an Amazon user, I think it's a worthy addition. Here are the settings a poster named Jordon suggested:

Mode: Preference
Contrast: 87
Backlight: 53
Dynalight: Off
Brightnes: 55
Color: 43
Tint: 3
Sharpness: 1
ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Static Gamma: 3
Color Temp: Warm

Make Sure Picture Size is set to "Native" rather than "Full." This eliminates overscan and will render the image pixel-for-pixel, doing away with any unnecessary scaling or cropping.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I was lucky to get the BF deal. Anyway after applying the settings suggested by an Amazon user, I think it's a worthy addition. Here are the settings a poster named Jordon suggested:
Make Sure Picture Size is set to "Native" rather than "Full." This eliminates overscan and will render the image pixel-for-pixel, doing away with any unnecessary scaling or cropping.

Thanks for the response.

Doesn't anyone else have any feedback? I thought this was the right place for this kind of question.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Adjusting the settings really helped a lot. It's almost ridiculous how much better it looks.

Anyone else have any feedback on my purchase? Worth it or not?
post #13 of 18 Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Only you can decide that "Grasshopper"

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #14 of 18 Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM

In case anyone needs this info, I couldn't find it anyplace online. If you want to enter the service menu on this tv it's left arrow, exit key, then enter key.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM

thanks for the picture settings but i have a question. Is there a way to dimm the tv at night. I used to be able to on my vizio and i cant figure it out on this one. anyone can help me?
post #16 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Only you can decide that "Grasshopper"

Well I guess it doesn't matter now since it's too late to return it!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I have a new Tohiba 50L2200U that I'm using in my office as a mirrored display to my primary desktop monitor (DVID on computer to HDMI-1 in. Looks great when I set the screen size to (5) Native Mode, but it resets to the default screen size every time it turns on. How can I program this TV so the preference is retained? Thank you
post #18 of 18 Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayleaf View Post

I have a new Tohiba 50L2200U that I'm using in my office as a mirrored display to my primary desktop monitor (DVID on computer to HDMI-1 in. Looks great when I set the screen size to (5) Native Mode, but it resets to the default screen size every time it turns on. How can I program this TV so the preference is retained? Thank you

Get a video card with HDMI out use hdmi 2 and it will work fine . DVI-D to HDMI from computer on board video does not work near as well as HDMI /HDMI a good inexpensive HD low profile ready card is an
Sapphire or other AMD/RADEON based HD6450 1GB card if you are not gaming otherwise you will need something a bit more powerful .

HD6450 is a very good Good HD card but not a great game card but still beats on board video by a country mile
colors will be brighter and video much sharper it has a good scaler in it good as PS 3 .makes on line videos and DVD's played in the computer look real good .
Also you will get the option of sound via HDMI also . HD 6450's can be had for about $25-$35.00 .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 50l2200u 50 Inch 120hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page