Westinghouse CW50T9XW......good tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I haven't been in the market for a new tv for quite sometime now so I'm gonna need some help. Saw a pretty killer deal on this model (Westinghouse CW50T9XW) and can't seem to find any reviews on them. Anyone own or has any experience with the new westinghouse tvs? Its a 50-inch LCD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Liked: 13
Can't specifically comment on the model you're looking at, but I was leery at purchasing a 40" LCD in 2007/8 by Westinghouse on Black Friday. I wasn't familiar with the brand, and what I was told is that it's generic, and possibly fraught with problems.

Fast forward until now, and the set is still going strong, despite the efforts of my kids trying the throw Wii-motes thru the panel. Only had to turn of "auto-source" to fix a hang up issue early on, and then the occasional unplug to reset (2-3 times a year). Other than that, it's been quite solid.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I also have an older Westinghouse 42" lcd that I've owned for about 4 years now that has been solid with zero problems. Picture quality in HD is outstanding but SD is fairly good. That's why I wouldn't mind another as long as the quality is still good with Westinghouse. Anyone own a recent model from Westinghouse?
post #4 of 16 Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM

I purchased a 37" LCD about 6 years ago. This TV has been through 5 moves, military, & it still shows a phenomenal picture. I would recommend Westinghouse to anyone. All the quality & half the price. I am thinking of buying another one this black Friday at Target, 50" for 349.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Hi, I have had a westinghouse 42inch LCD for six years. No issues other than it was an early release HDMI and the handshaking was iffy sometimes. Works fine with all the equipment i have now. However, I saw the Target deal for 50inch CW50t9YW and thought it would be great to keep the same specs as my older one but go 8 inches larger. I got it out of the box last night and set it up. Started fiddling today, here's my opinion:

1. Remote is straightforward and laid out okay.
2. All connections seem fairly low quality, but they all work so far so I'll just be easy on them.
3. Power cord is attached, meaning you can't remove it like on a computer. My older 42 inch had a removable power cord, and I like that feature.
4. Edit: Batteries included with remote are now dead. Charging some AAAs now so I can get back to using the remote. Arrgh.
5. Picture quality. So far the quality is much grainier than my other 1080p 60hz tv. I have to get this remote going so I can figure out how to optimize the video on this.

Does anyone have a link to a discussion on video optimization for basic TVs that don't have "real" adjustment capability? How would I know how to "hack" into my menu on a Westinghouse? Thanks,

Kevin
post #6 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Hey Kevin, congrats on getting the Target deal. I was at home Thursday night and got a text from my girlfriend who was in line at Target. She overheard a couple people in line talking about a TV deal. I looked online, saw the 50" for $349 and figured I'd head down and try to get one. We each ended up getting a ticket for one so I went ahead and bought 2 of them! One is set up in the living room and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other one.

Anyway, good review although I'm not seeing the graininess that you mention. I haven't done a true calibration yet as I don't have a blu-ray player hooked up yet, but here are the settings I'm using right now watching the Ohio State Michigan game over the air via our local station in 720p. In the advanced picture setting menu (Dynamic contrast, Film mode, Noise reduction, MPEG noise reduction) I have everything turned off. Color temp is set at Normal. In picture settings I have the brightness at about 40%, contrast is about centered, color slightly left of center, tint slightly right of center, and sharpness is at about 25%. That's just eyeballing it but I have to say the picture looks pretty darn good, especially considering the price. Skin tones look good, and the reds and yellows on the players uniforms look accurate and aren't over-saturated.

Hopefully someone that is a lot more knowledgeable than I am about this set will post up some good alignment instructions, hidden setting menu, etc...
post #7 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks guys. Keep the reviews coming. I was able to grab one online for $349 and free shipping on Thanksgiving Day. Says it will be here on 12/3. Would love to hear what you all think and get any setup advise you can provide.

Jim
post #8 of 16 Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 AM

I have had my Westinghouse CW50T9XW for a few days now and can say that the image quality is very good for the price. The only problem I have run in to so far is that I have not been able to manually program a channel. When I scan for stations, the TV will only find the SD channel of Fox (finds 9.2 but will not find 9.1). I can't manually add the HD station. My old TV from Visio has never had this problem.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I ran the Disney WOW disc earlier today and calibrating this thing to get what was desired on the test patterns was a piece of cake. I'll try to post my settings once I confirm I am happy with them (I didn't have the chance to watch anything once they were set).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORPhD View Post

I ran the Disney WOW disc earlier today and calibrating this thing to get what was desired on the test patterns was a piece of cake. I'll try to post my settings once I confirm I am happy with them (I didn't have the chance to watch anything once they were set).
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Hey ORP, I plan on picking up the Disney WOW blu-ray set one of these days. In the mean time, I downloaded and ran the AVSHD 709 utility from this site using my PS3 and my blue filter from Video Essentials disc. Like you said, easy calibration. Did you notice though, that the settings you make using the HDMI input don't transfer over to the other inputs (like Over The Air)? At least on mine they didn't. If I remember right I even had to calibrate each HDMI input separately. For over the air I snapped a picture of my HDMI picture settings and carefully matched them on the TV input. Still kind of screwy though, if you switch from User to one of the other pre-defined picture modes, some of your setting you set for User change back to a default, especially in the advanced picture menu. The settings I came up with for HDMI (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness) just don't look right to me using the TV (over the air) input so for now I'm using the Standard pre-set which I think looks pretty good. Anyway, hope that all makes sense! I'm out of town in Nashville for the weekend so I'll probably play with it some more later this week when I get home.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Just mentioning that some Target stores still have these in stock at $349. I picked up one for my Father-In-Law for X-Mas and they had one left. None were on the floor. I had to ask them to go check the back since online said they had limited quantities in my store. I plan on running Disney WOW on it after X-Mas as well. He'll be moving from an old box 55" non-HD TV so I know he'll be thrilled.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

I tried to come up with a way to clearly indicate position of the Disney WOW calibrated settings for this set. After watching Chapter 2 of The Dark Knight with default settings vs. these settings, there did seem to be a fairly significant improvement in shadow detail and, to a lesser degree, fleshtones. For being a cheap LCD, I am very impressed with the black levels and shadow detail I am seeing, especially being a former plasma owner (albeit a 5 year old one that I think was a dud).

As Westinghouse unfortunately used sliders instead of numbers, I had a hard time coming up with a great way to indicate exact position, but hopefully this works. Two numbers are provided: a coarse position and a fine position. The coarse position is the number of the blue box where the left line of the orange selection box aligns with the left edge of the blue box or lies very slightly to the right of it. Boxes are numbered from left to right, with the number 1 assigned to the box immediately to the right of the arrow pointing left. I also include ASCII art to help indicate the box I am referencing. The middle box is box 11. After the coarse position, the fine position is then how many clicks away from being left aligned or just barely inside the blue box the orange box is when in the final position (+ = to the right, - = to the left).

Settings are presented in the following manner:
Characteristic: coarse/fine

Brightness: 12/-1
<| | | | | | | | | | | |x| | | | | | | | | |>
Contrast: 15/-1
<| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |x| | | | | | |>
Color 10/-1
<| | | | | | | | | |x| | | | | | | | | | | |>
Tint 11/-2
<| | | | | | | | | | |x| | | | | | | | | | |>
Sharpness 9/-1 (although I’ll admit I wasn’t crazy about Disney WOW’s test patterns for this, so this setting could be off).
<| | | | | | | | |x| | | | | | | | | | | | |>

In the Advanced settings, Color Temp is set to Normal and everything else is set to Off. I will probably at some point set the Temp to Warm and see what adjustments would be needed and if I like it more.

Hopefully this at least provides a starting point for some. But these levels seemed to work in fully lit, partially lit, and completely dark environments for my setup and player (Panasonic BDT 110).

BE CAREFUL OVERWRITING YOUR SETTINGS. By far my biggest annoyance with this set is how it seems to want to overwrite your settings at every opportunity. If I accidentally press Channel Up when in HDMI, I enter an inescapable menu that, yep, overwrites my settings. It's ridiculous, but at least I know to try to avoid it now, and at least I can deprogram those buttons in the Harmony.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM

oye! Your thing hurt my head. Anyway, My TV doesn't have a tint slider. Why don't you just post the number of clicks, positive for to the right, negative for to the left, it takes to get the slider in position. Your thing is super confusing. The slider starts out in the middle. Did you move it to the left 4? Then that's -4.

Make the middle 11??? owe.....
post #14 of 16 Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM

We just purchased the 50" Westinghouse, We are trying to set up our new TV. It is model # CW50T9XW Serial # 6700 C2321 5449.
We need help in setting it up for the ATSC scan type. We have tried to call Westinghouse for the last 3 days. They either do not answer, or it is busy. We have tried to e-mail and text them. Every number that we have tired has not worked.
Can someone please help us with the codes or numbers that we need?
post #15 of 16 Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 PM

We just purchased the 50" Westinghouse, We are trying to set up our new TV. It is model # CW50T9XW Serial # 6700 C2321 5449.
We need help in setting it up for the ATSC scan type. We have tried to call Westinghouse for the last 3 days. They either do not answer, or it is busy. We have tried to e-mail and text them. Every number that we have tired has not worked.
Can someone please help us with the codes or numbers that we need?
post #16 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 AM

I have the same model, but if the TiVo and TV signals are close it reverts back to TV mode and I have to press HDMI again. I've had a few people, inclusing my cable company, check it out, and the only solution (as of today) is to move the TiVo away from the TV signal or to cover the TV signal with a piee of paper or something. The donside s that I won't be able to control the volume.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse , Westinghouse 42 Inch Ld 4255vx Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Uw40t3pw 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page