Is this normal blur? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Drive yourself crazy enough and you will eventually find yourself posting on a message board...

Okay, So I own an LG 55LK520, my first hdtv. I have gotten my first opportunity to watch football and I am noticing a ton of blur only during fast pans when the camera moves fast. Basically, I am wondering is something wrong with my tv(not likely), wrong my my source(Comcast-compression?), OR is this just how it is supposed to look when the camera moves really fast? I mean it makes sense that stuff would look blurry when a camera pans fast, but I never really noticed it before on my old CRT. If I pause the DVR in the middle of the fast-pan(when the camera is moving) the players will look blurry.

Just to clarify, I notice the blurriness most when a QB goes back to pass and he throw it to his WR who is off the screen and the camera has to move REALLY fast to the position where the receiver is.

Please help me as I have turned from a football junkie, to a person not even excited about the opening NFL game! eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibb100 View Post

Drive yourself crazy enough and you will eventually find yourself posting on a message board...
Okay, So I own an LG 55LK520, my first hdtv. I have gotten my first opportunity to watch football and I am noticing a ton of blur only during fast pans when the camera moves fast. Basically, I am wondering is something wrong with my tv(not likely), wrong my my source(Comcast-compression?), OR is this just how it is supposed to look when the camera moves really fast? I mean it makes sense that stuff would look blurry when a camera pans fast, but I never really noticed it before on my old CRT. If I pause the DVR in the middle of the fast-pan(when the camera is moving) the players will look blurry.
Just to clarify, I notice the blurriness most when a QB goes back to pass and he throw it to his WR who is off the screen and the camera has to move REALLY fast to the position where the receiver is.
Please help me as I have turned from a football junkie, to a person not even excited about the opening NFL game! eek.gif

if you see such issues with Cable/Satellite but not BD/DVD, then compression is the issue, not your TV
post #3 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It is important to note that Fox, A

It is important to note that ABC, FOX, and ESPN broadcast HD in 720p/60 and that NBC, CBS and most other HD channels broadcast in 1080i/60 which deinterlaces to 1080p/30. Therefore you should have much less motion blur on ABC,FOX, or ESPN. Motion blur is also more likely on a LCD/LED model then on a Plasma model since LCD/LEDs use show and hold technology. With plasma and CRTs the there is not always an image on the screen due to phospher fade and therfore your mind intgerpolates between frames.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a panasonic ET5 with no motion blur/ghosting/etc. Switched to an LG LM6200 and all sorts of motion blur/ghosting even in normal movement (e.g. guy walking, camera panning, etc.).

After a lot of research online, it looks like LG does not handle motion blur well, no matter what the TruMotion rating is (at least for the more affordable panels). I experienced it on an LM6200, but I have heard the same complaints with the 6700 and even 7600.

The only panel I have not heard any problems with is the 9600 model, but that is their top of the line.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I would characterize this as motion blur, maybe camera blur(If that's a real thing)? Blur just from moving the camera really fast. Imagine the camera moving SUPER fast to catch up with the play. It just moves super fast for a second. The ball is not blurry, the background/players are blurry...only when that camera is panning SUPER fast. Once the camera stops moving, every thing clears up. Isn't it true that if it was a tv problem, everything would clear up if I paused the DVR in mid-pan? Everything is still blurry when pausing? So, it must be the source, correct?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

I had a family member DVR last night's football game so I can compare a few passes in which I noticed max blur on my tv. I have a feeling, the family's members plasma will look better overall with motion, but it will still have the blur when the camera MOVES SUPER FAST to keep up with the pass the QB threw. I think that's just how it is. I never noticed it before on my 27" CRT because it was 1/2 the size, also even though I watched the HD channels on my CRT, the quality wasn't HD-quality. It looked great, but it wasn't 1080 or 720. When something is HD-quality, you noticed imperfections more such as camera blur. Also, I think some people are more sensitive to the blur. Or more OCD....
post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post

I have a panasonic ET5 with no motion blur/ghosting/etc. Switched to an LG LM6200 and all sorts of motion blur/ghosting even in normal movement (e.g. guy walking, camera panning, etc.).
After a lot of research online, it looks like LG does not handle motion blur well, no matter what the TruMotion rating is (at least for the more affordable panels). I experienced it on an LM6200, but I have heard the same complaints with the 6700 and even 7600.
The only panel I have not heard any problems with is the 9600 model, but that is their top of the line.

how would you say the quality was for gaming and sports on the panny?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post

how would you rate the quality on sports/gaming for the panny?!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Pretty sure that blur happens on plasma too.crt still seems the best with motion of the few hdtvs I've seen.

part of it is because the lk520 is so clear and detailed that anything blurry shows up more.

In the box menu options is it on native ,also cancel out 1080i and just have 1080p/720p

I had a 47 lk 520 and thought it was very clear.I cranked the motion control full up

It's probably the very fast camera movement

Plasma ive seen are good with motion but I think there is probably blur when the camera moves fast.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page