LG 42lk450 DTS codec issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day,

i bought a LG 42lk450 and to my surprise it does not support DTS, i decided to convert DTS to AC3 (DD) using popcorn Audio converter but i realize that the audio isn't as crisp as the DTS and the channels arent as defined as with the DTS.
my Question is:
what codec can i use thats on par with dts that will work with my LG that will give me the same audio quality as DTS.

i use a WD live to play the DTS version, also the entire setup is going through a sony BDV-E300 HTS.

Thanks in advance
SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

any1 confused.gif
post #3 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 13
LG does not have paid for DTS licence thats why its not supported

Sometimes you are 1 click away from pulling your hair out and bang your head against the wall
post #4 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeenl View Post

LG does not have paid for DTS licence thats why its not supported
yah i understand that and thats why i converted to ac3
post #5 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSworks View Post

Good day,
i bought a LG 42lk450 and to my surprise it does not support DTS, i decided to convert DTS to AC3 (DD) using popcorn Audio converter but i realize that the audio isn't as crisp as the DTS and the channels arent as defined as with the DTS.
my Question is:
what codec can i use thats on par with dts that will work with my LG that will give me the same audio quality as DTS.
i use a WD live to play the DTS version, also the entire setup is going through a sony BDV-E300 HTS.
If you use a BDV-E300 for all the sound, why worry about feeding DTS to the TV? Send the WD's optical output direct to the BDV.

If that fails because the TV, being fed from the WD's HDMI output, tells the WD it cannot accept DTS, thus preventing the optical output from carrying the DTS, then now we understand the issue.

Might be a way to tell the WD to ignore the EDID of the TV. Or a way to block the EDID (such as Gefen HDMI Detective). Or, instead of an HTIB, upgrade to an AVR.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

If you use a BDV-E300 for all the sound, why worry about feeding DTS to the TV? Send the WD's optical output direct to the BDV.
If that fails because the TV, being fed from the WD's HDMI output, tells the WD it cannot accept DTS, thus preventing the optical output from carrying the DTS, then now we understand the issue.
Might be a way to tell the WD to ignore the EDID of the TV. Or a way to block the EDID (such as Gefen HDMI Detective). Or, instead of an HTIB, upgrade to an AVR.

i thought of that but i wanted to get rid of the wdlive (its giving probs) that and one less thing to use a hdmi port but if i cant get the sound quality of dts from ac3 or another codec i guess i just have to do that
post #7 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i thought of that but i wanted to get rid of the wdlive (its giving probs) that and one less thing to use a hdmi port but if i cant get the sound quality of dts from ac3 or another codec i guess i just have to do that
If your source is DTS and the BDV-E300 plays DTS, what exactly is the problem?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

ok since i wasnt clear

the TV (LG 42lk450) to which the HARD DRIVE that contains the MKV file does NOT SUPPORT DTS which means if it is encoded with DTS the file WILL NOT PLAY!
THE SONY BDV-E300 has nothing to do with playing DTS or using the HDD.. it has nothing to do with my problem!!

all i am asking is what codec can i replace dts with that will give me the same quality because when i convert to AC3 (DD) the audio quality drops!
post #9 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

case closed problem solved
post #10 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok since i wasnt clear

the TV (LG 42lk450) to which the HARD DRIVE that contains the MKV file does NOT SUPPORT DTS which means if it is encoded with DTS the file WILL NOT PLAY!

THE SONY BDV-E300 has nothing to do with playing DTS or using the HDD.. it has nothing to do with my problem!!
Well, you were the one that originally stated:
Quote:

Quote:
ll i am asking is what codec can i replace dts with that will give me the same quality because when i convert to AC3 (DD) the audio quality drops!
How can you tell the audio quality drops when you cannot even hear what the DTS version sounds like? >>DTS the file WILL NOT PLAY<<
Quote:
case closed problem solved
Good news! So, how did you resolve the problem? Others may benefit from your experience.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

lets see if i can go even slower because i dont see where i am over complicating this

TV that you can play video from a hdd THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT DTS

WD live that plays video from a hdd THAT SUPPORTS DTS

HOME THEATER SYSTEM that all the audio goes to via optics from the tv.

SO LETS TRY THIS AGAIN
Quote:
post #12 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

when i use the HDD direct to PICTURE A i cant use DTS because PICTURE A does not support DTS so i have to convert to AC3 (DD)
when i use the HDD direct to PICTURE B i can use DTS because PICTURE B supports DTS and no conversion has to be done
EVERYTHING gets funneled to the PICTURE C via an audio fiber cable

when i compare the two the AUDIO QUALITY is not as sharp or crisp with the AC3 and in both cases my SONY BDV-E300 acknowledges that's its 5.1 srs.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when i use the HDD direct to PICTURE A i cant use DTS because PICTURE A does not support DTS
Correct.
Quote:
so i have to convert to AC3 (DD)
Maybe. Maybe not. That's what we are here to discuss.
Quote:
when i use the HDD direct to PICTURE B i can use DTS because PICTURE B supports DTS and no conversion has to be done
Picture B is the WD Live HDD, right? You must mean when use the HDD direct to Picture C (BDV-E300).

If HDD direct to BDV-E300 works with DTS, why not just leave it connected that way?
Quote:
EVERYTHING gets funneled to the PICTURE C via an audio fiber cable
when i compare the two the AUDIO QUALITY is not as sharp or crisp with the AC3
Maybe the AC3 converter is not of good quality. It would be best not to convert in any case, as cascading lossy codecs is never a good idea. The direct connection is best.
Quote:
and in both cases my SONY BDV-E300 acknowledges that's its 5.1 srs.
Hmm. SRS? You might want check the sound quality with the SRS turned off, just to confirm the AC3 source is still reported as 5.1. There are lots of SRS modes, so not sure if the one you have is upmixing from stereo to 5.1 or not.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Picture B is the WD Live HDD, right? You must mean when use the HDD direct to Picture C (BDV-E300).

If HDD direct to BDV-E300 works with DTS, why not just leave it connected that way?

i see exactly where we are not on the same page simple fix

that WD live is not a hdd its a device that allows you to play video files from an external source (ext hdd or over the network) to your tv via hdmi (just one of the connections)

i have an external 500gb hdd that i connect to the WD live OR the tv not the bdve300.
i want to get rid of the WD live device because it is givin probs so for the reason of simplifying this convo lets say i didnt even have it

you need to remove the sony hts out of the equation because you can not connect a external hdd to it ...

now how do i convert DTS to AC3 to play on directly to my tv from my hdd AND KEEP THE AUDIO QUALITY!!
is there a better codec to use ?
post #15 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i see exactly where we are not on the same page simple fix
that WD live is not a hdd its a device that allows you to play video files from an external source (ext hdd or over the network) to your tv via hdmi (just one of the connections)
i have an external 500gb hdd that i connect to the WD live OR the tv not the bdve300.
Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
now how do i convert DTS to AC3 to play on directly to my tv from my hdd AND KEEP THE AUDIO QUALITY!! is there a better codec to use ?
What bitrate are you using for AC3? If 448 kbps or lower, try 640 if offered. The TV might not like it since ATSC is limited to 448 kbps, but worth a try.

If that fails, could use stereo PCM. The TV can handle that, right? But then I suspect you will say that a stereo downix is not suitable because you want 5.1 audio to pass thru the TV into the BDV.

The TV is your limiting factor, not the HDD or the WD or the BDV. If you had a nice Blu-ray player, you would not connect it to the TV before the AV system (yes, you dodged that bullet with the BD player in the BDV). So if not the WD, you'll need some other device to pull the audio from the HDD to hand it over to the BDV.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Go into service menu and change country to Korea and it will play dts thru USB on TV with mkv files.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbuick View Post

Go into service menu and change country to Korea and it will play dts thru USB on TV with mkv files.
can you give me a step by step guide to complete this task?
post #18 of 23 Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 AM

I have a harmony 300 remote and hit guide button and the TV will ask for a 4 digit pin and You put in 0413 and go to country region and change to KR from us and the TV will reboot and then ask what language hit English. Now I can play dts files via USB. Do a search on universal remotes for hacking service menu
post #19 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbuick View Post

I have a harmony 300 remote and hit guide button and the TV will ask for a 4 digit pin and You put in 0413 and go to country region and change to KR from us and the TV will reboot and then ask what language hit English. Now I can play dts files via USB. Do a search on universal remotes for hacking service menu
my remote is akb72915239
i found two methods nether of which worked,
they keep asking for me to menu button on the remote and on the tv but my tv has a HOME so out of common sense i tried the holding home on the remote and and o nthe tv and turning on the tv and nothing!

as simple as this sounds its becoming not so simple LOLOL
post #20 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM

need to find a good universal remote with ez menu access
post #21 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Accessing the SM for hacks is not always a good idea because it doesn't always work on all tv's, even within the same model line. One wrong push of a button or a lock-up and you'll brick your tv with no way to bring it back. There may be slight variations of main board builds that will prevent SM access for working from one tv to another. Be very careful.
post #22 of 23 Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM

Good point. Then I would get an LG bp620 player and use USB thru that if You have a reciever
post #23 of 23 Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

problem with buying a second player is exactly that i have to purchase a second player

i already have this
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page