Vizio VF552XVT power up/reboot problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated.

Problem:
I purchased my Vizio at COSTCO approx 3 years ago as soon as it hit the floor. I have to say until now, I have been extremely happy with this television set. The picture has been outstanding and very reliable up to this point. The TV is out of warranty and I did not buy the extended warranty offered by VIZIO (my mistake).

Two days ago, I went to power up the TV and noticed the front display logo flashed on and off as it does when updating its firmware. After the logo stopped flashing it went to the power off mode or stand-by mode (logo is orange). I hit the remote power button again and the boot-up process started again, the logo flashed on and off and again went to orange status. I did this a couple of more times with the same result. I then unplugged the unit, waited a few mins, plugged it back in, watched it go through the re-boot process and hit the power up button on the remote. Same deal, it kept re-booting and would then power down to stand-by. I tried this process again, unplugged the unit, but this time used the side panel power button and the TV came on as normal. I was a happy viewer again and thought this might have been a firmware "hiccup."

The next day, I went to start up the TV and once again the TV would not start up and got stuck on the re-boot process (Logo flashing on and off then power down). This time unplugging the TV and using the side power button did not work. I went online and had a chat session with Vizio support and was advised to unplug the unit, hold the side power button down for 30 seconds, plug the unit back in, and power up with the side button. I tried this several times to no avail and was advised by support to contact a repair service. They were kind enough to give me a phone number to an authorized repair service. I called and was only able to leave a recorded message with my phone number and advised in 24 hours a representative would contact me.

In the meantime, I continued to attempt a reboot as instructed by Vizio support. This time instead of using the side power button after unplugging the unit, I used the remote and wouldn't you know it. The unit came on, great picture, apps, everything working just great.

Tomorrow will be another day and I can almost bet my Vizio will have something to say about how well my day will go. So I have been doing research on the internet regarding this problem. It appears this re-boot problem is a constant among Vizio LED/LCD sets. I suppose it goes with the territory with "smart TVs". Our TV's are more like little computers these days with more things to go wrong. The universal fix for most problems seems to be the replacement of the motherboard or fuses. However, this seems to be more of "software or firmware" problem than a hardware one.

If anyone has experienced this problem and discovered a work around. I would love to hear it.

Thank you AVS readers...

Next day follow up...
Sure enough the problem has returned. This time when I went to start the TV with the remote, the orange logo on front flashed orange to completely off (no white light flashing) then stopped and began to flash orange to white several times, and finally to just orange (stand-by). It has done this several times at this writing. Anyone experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137

Not sure if the same "Master Reset" procedure will work as it did with my 2007 Vizio 47" LCD, but you could try:

1, Power off.

2. Press and simultaneously hold Source/Input and Vol- (minus) buttons on TV.

I got this procedure from Vizio support so, if it doesn't work, they should be able to tell you what the "Master Reset" procedure is for yours.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wajo... I did call support and they did instruct me on the procedure. For my model, it is unplugging the unit and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, plug the unit back in, and using the side button to power up again. However, I still have the problem. Grrrrrr.....
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 AM

Is it possible to reflash a firmware from a past successful update ?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slain93gsr View Post

Is it possible to reflash a firmware from a past successful update ?

No idea. Everything is done without permission. The TV updates automatically via wireless internet. There is no setting that allows you to control the updates, unless there is one in the "service tech" menu that I do not know about. I do not even know how to access the service tech menu.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well... I feel like I need to wipe the egg off my face. My VIzio is working perfectly. Seems I have some type of electrical problem on the feed from the outside power supply breaker box. Everything on that line is acting strange. I am just glad I did not burn out any internal fuses on the TV set or fry any internal components.

However, this has been enough of a scare for me that I will look into extending my warranty. I hope I can still do this as I had called into support as noted above. The first thing they did is ask for the serial number on my set. I am worried they will no longer offer me the warranty.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page