Best 70" under 3k available within the next 3 months - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for a 70" set that is reasonably priced, but also of good quality. The two most important aspects for me are a full array lcd, and a slim, minimalistic design. I don't really care about 3d, and I certainly don't care about crappy apps. I won't exclude a tv for having those features, but they really won't be used. Essentially, I'd like a TV with the same specs as the Sharp Aquos LC-80LE633U, but in a smaller and more affordable package.

I have considered the 70" Sharp at costco (70LE8470U), but being edge lit *and* with horrible reviews from members of AVS, it seems like a bad compromise. I could be persuaded to go down to a 65", if there are options that are more appealing. I see Sony is coming out with the 65" HX950 soon, but the price point is nowhere near what I'm willing to pay.

So is there anything out there (or coming out soon) that fits my needs? Or do I have to hold my nose while I buy something crappy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I guess the current market and immediate future is just as I suspected; nothing available in 70" that strikes the balance between performance and price.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Well the ONLY brand that makes 70" TVs is Sharp! And the only current model Sharp in 70" is the one you listed! So with the latest 70" Sharp 945U cancelled by all accounts, your only hope is a $9000 Samsung 75" that just came out.... OR a new 65" Sony HX950 that comes out next month. The Sony will be worth the extra money as the picture quality should wipe the floor with any Sharp as well as the current 65" Samsung ES8000 (being full array vs the Samsung being edge-lit, etc)
post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wouldn't say the reviews for the 70'' 8470/845 are "horrible". I'm an owner of of the 8470 and have exchanged one. is it perfect (elite perfect)? no (dark screen flashlighting and clouding). is it a step up from my previous set (73'' mits diamond crt based rptv)? yes (no more reflections, razor sharp images, bright and "popping" picture). am i happy with the motion handling? (yes - once I got all the gear in the signal chain working together).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page