Help me decide between these 55" TVs in the $1000-1200 price range. Opinions and suggestions please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Checking out some TVs for a gift. Must be 55" in size, plasma or LCD/LED are both fine, and under $1200. The room where the TV will be used will not have direct/indirect sunlight issues. They're currently using a rear projection TV from over 15 years ago and i'm assuming they'll be using this new TV for quite a while ago. Reliability and longevity should be a factor. We're not too concerned about internet connectivity, though it's a plus.

Top three on my list are:

Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma

LG 55LS4600 LED/LCD

Samsung UN55EH6000 LED/LCD

Or if you prefer another, give me your suggestion.

And does anyone know if the LG or Samsung uses a IPS or VA or ??? display? Or know of any LCD/LED in my price range with a IPS display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie View Post

Checking out some TVs for a gift. Must be 55" in size, plasma or LCD/LED are both fine, and under $1200. The room where the TV will be used will not have direct/indirect sunlight issues. They're currently using a rear projection TV from over 15 years ago and i'm assuming they'll be using this new TV for quite a while ago. Reliability and longevity should be a factor. We're not too concerned about internet connectivity, though it's a plus.
Top three on my list are:
Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma
LG 55LS4600 LED/LCD
Samsung UN55EH6000 LED/LCD
Or if you prefer another, give me your suggestion.
And does anyone know if the LG or Samsung uses a IPS or VA or ??? display? Or know of any LCD/LED in my price range with a IPS display?

The Samsung uses *VA

*panel lottery between Samsung S-PVA (best), AUO A-MVA (average), CMI S-MVA (average), and Sharp ASV (worst)

The LG might use IPS, but not all models and screen sizes might be IPS only (could also be a *VA panel).

I would go with either the plasma or the Samsung LED, given the lighting conditions you have. The plasma will have the best blacks and if you get a S-PVA panel on the Samsung LED, it will also have solid blacks (version: Txxx means S-PVA). If you did have a lot of sunlight in the room, I would avoid the plasma as it doesn't have the black filter of the ST50 and higher models (which keeps the screen very dark even in bright rooms).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page