Help choosing an LED LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm sure these threads pop up on here all the time, so I apologize if this is redundant - I don't spend a lot of time on these forums anymore so I'm not sure what's been discussed and what hasn't.

I recently picked up a Samsung UN60ES7150 from Costco to replace an older 50" Panasonic plasma for my family room. I'm not in love with the set for a few reasons. Firstly, picture quality isn't what I was hoping for - blacks aren't uniform across the screen and there's a fairly distracting artifact that I can only describe as "hazing" (a general cloudiness on mid- to dark scenes), though there may be a better term for it. Also, there are brighter strips down each side of the picture right where the screen meets the frame that are distracting.

Secondly, The 60" size isn't giving me the pop I was hoping for. Stepping up from a 50" set I expected to have a more immersive experience, but I honestly can't tell that the screen is any bigger. This may be an optical illusion due to the fact that the set, while having a 10" larger screen surface, is physically smaller in overall dimension than the plasma it replaces.

These factors have me ready to return the set. Can anyone suggest a set that would perform better than this one and is a bit larger (say in the 65" to 70" range)? Costco carries the 70" Sharp Quattron LC-70C8470 that I was thinking of trying next, though I don't know much about Sharp as a brand. I'm not locked in to buying from this retailer, but I do like their generous return policy. Obviously, set quality trumps this, so I can go anywhere. As for budget, I'd be comfortable with something $3500 or less. I don't watch sports, but will be gaming and watching HD cable and Blu-rays with this set. I have a projector (JVC RS1) with a 110" screen in my basement theater, so this doesn't need to be the ultimate last word in accuracy, but I obviously want something of high quality. Given these parameters, what would people suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quick question--was there any factor other than size that you disliked about the old Panny plasma?

Steve S.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I still have the plasma - I just moved it up to the bedroom. I actually really like the plasma but there are a few issues that bug me about it. On really low light scenes, there's a bit of noise in the blacks (it varies depending on quality of source). Also, I do play games and I've gotten some image retention issues more than a few times (nothing permanent, but they've taken several hours to resolve) which makes me paranoid that I could cause permanent burn-in. It's probably 6 or 7 years old and while it's 1080p, it doesn't have a 24 hz mode (refresh rate is fixed at 60 hz) which is also kind of a bummer.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Gotcha. The cloudiness and sorta flashight-thru-fog effect at the edges are quite common on edge lit led sets. You can try reducing the backlight setting to minimize it (crank contrast up to compensate for loss of overall brightness if necessary). If that doesn't make it acceptable try a different brand of set. Samsungs are generally the worst for flashlighting/clouding, The Sony HX850 sets seem to get the fewest complaints but don't know if they come in a large enough size--biggest I've seen were 55". The Sharp sets generally are better than the Samsungs for flashlighting/clouding so if you can't find a big enough HX850 the 70" Sharp you're considering would be well worth trying. These do 3D quite well, though the Sharp glasses are pricey. The good news is that the current Samsung glasses work fine with Sharp sets and cost about $16 a pair.

Good luck!

Steve S.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I'm going to go out after work tonight and do a sweep of as many stores as I can to look at lots of different sets. The size factor cuts down a lot of the competition as 60" is my minimum size and would prefer a 65" or 70". Hopefully I can determine what will be the best for me by looking at the same sets at different retailers to get a feel for them.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page