PS3 not playing on new TV.. any suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys/gals, 1st time poster and love these forums. I have learned so much from reading all the info you guys share on here.

I just purchased my 1st BIG screen TV and got a Sharp 70" 6400u from cost co and LOVE it. I know its not a top of the line or anyhting like that, but, its great for me. I am having some trouble with my ps3 hooking up to it though. When I turn my ps3 on everything is fine in the beginning. The menu options are all in 1080p (i know this because it says it in the top right corner). The problem occurs when I try to play a game. Once I start the game the screen goes blank, may or may not come back on. If it comes back on the quality is HORRIBLE. The similiar thing happened on my previous tv, however, the quality didnt get worse . Does anyone know what would be causing this problem?

I have it hooked up using hdmi cable. Sorry for the dumb question but I'm not as AV savy as you guys on here. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which games?

How is your TV set with regard to scaling/aspect ratio? Examples might include Just Scan, 1:1, Full, Native, 16:9, ect.

Also, which resolutions do you have checked in your PS3's Video Output Settings?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

It happens on MLB the show 2012. As far as video output settings, I have hdmi selected. Could it possibly be the hdmi cable?
post #4 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you picked through all the PS3 settings and make sure they are good with your new TV?

And check out your Sharp manual to make sure they don't have one of those goofy things like, "The Playstation must be plugged into HDMI 2 to function"
post #5 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that's part of the problem. I don't exactly know what settings to pick through and change. I may have to call Sharp directly and see if they know of a solution
post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
You really need to define "HORRIBLE" if you want more help here.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the vague description of the problem I am having.

When I say horrible picture I mean that after I launch the game the screen goes black. If the picture even comes back on it is very grainy, almost like the white noise kind of picture. I am still able to see whats going on with he game though. Sometimes the picture will not come back on and there is an error message (looks like the message is from the TV) saying something along the lines of "this input can not be supported" I will have to duplicate the problem when I get home and read the exact error message again.

Like I was saying earlier, it did the same thing with my previous TV and it seemed to only do in when playing games. However, when the screen would go black on my old TV it always would come right back on and wouldnt lose picture quality.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Sounds like a PS3 problem. You might wanne start a thread in the blu-ray Forum. Check PS3 settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/149/blu-ray-players

or post in the Official XXC6400U thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399227/official-2012-sharp-lc-xxle640u-xxc6400u/270
post #9 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The PS3 has separate video output settings for games vs Blu Ray. If you uncheck 480i and 480p from the output resolutions for games you should get better pq. Some tvs won't accept 480i at all from HDMI sources. You may still get the occasional blank screen due to HDMI handshake but it should come back quicker with better pq.

Steve S.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Sounds like a PS3 problem. You might wanne start a thread in the blu-ray Forum. Check PS3 settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/149/blu-ray-players
or post in the Official XXC6400U thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399227/official-2012-sharp-lc-xxle640u-xxc6400u/270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

The PS3 has separate video output settings for games vs Blu Ray. If you uncheck 480i and 480p from the output resolutions for games you should get better pq. Some tvs won't accept 480i at all from HDMI sources. You may still get the occasional blank screen due to HDMI handshake but it should come back quicker with better pq.

Thank for all of these suggestions. I will try them when I get home tonight and see if it helps.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
It really could be a bad hdmi cable. I had something similar happen years ago with my cable box. All was good on regular stations, but HD stations would be spotty - sometimes they'd work and sometimes they wouldn't. Swapped out the cable and all was well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page