LC-80LE844U or Samsung UNES6500 or Panasonic TC-P65VT50, or..? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that there was a similar thread on this, but can use some help with selecting the best TV for me.

I had ready very good reviews on the LC-80LE8444U, REALLY wanted to get one, but when I've gone to see it at the stores, I just wasn't too impressed. Compared to the Samsung UN65ES8000, for example, the image did not look as sharp (somewhat fuzzy or grainy), nor as bright, and I could notice ghosting on fast action scenes (even noticeable on a live football game).

Given the great reviews, is it just a matter of calibrating the set properly to make it look as good as the 65ES8000, which by the way, has very mixed reviews, or no matter what you do, the 65ES8000 will just look better? According to the salesperson at Video Only, that was the best that the LC-80LE8444U would look (due to stretching the pixels to fit such a large screen), and tried to sell me on the Panasonic TC-P65VT50, which is a plasma, claiming that it's the best TV on the market. I wasn't considering a plasma, but the TV did look pretty good, although not as bright as the 65ES8000, which is an important factor as the TV would be in a somewhat bright room with big windows facing the TV. In fact, one of the other features that had me interested i the LC-80LE8444U is that it has a matte screen, and there would be less glare/reflections under this bright environment.

Bottom line, I'm confused. I want to get the LC-80LE844U, but can the TV get calibrated to make it look as sharp as the 65ES8000? Should I get the 65ES8000 instead, or even the Panny 65VT50? What about the 70" sharp, LC-70LE845U? Will it look any better than the LC-80LE844U? Should I just wait for something else that will be coming out shortly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by best1080plcd View Post

I know that there was a similar thread on this, but can use some help with selecting the best TV for me.
I had ready very good reviews on the LC-80LE8444U, REALLY wanted to get one, but when I've gone to see it at the stores, I just wasn't too impressed. Compared to the Samsung UN65ES8000, for example, the image did not look as sharp (somewhat fuzzy or grainy), nor as bright, and I could notice ghosting on fast action scenes (even noticeable on a live football game).
Given the great reviews, is it just a matter of calibrating the set properly to make it look as good as the 65ES8000, which by the way, has very mixed reviews, or no matter what you do, the 65ES8000 will just look better? According to the salesperson at Video Only, that was the best that the LC-80LE8444U would look (due to stretching the pixels to fit such a large screen), and tried to sell me on the Panasonic TC-P65VT50, which is a plasma, claiming that it's the best TV on the market. I wasn't considering a plasma, but the TV did look pretty good, although not as bright as the 65ES8000, which is an important factor as the TV would be in a somewhat bright room with big windows facing the TV. In fact, one of the other features that had me interested i the LC-80LE8444U is that it has a matte screen, and there would be less glare/reflections under this bright environment.
Bottom line, I'm confused. I want to get the LC-80LE844U, but can the TV get calibrated to make it look as sharp as the 65ES8000? Should I get the 65ES8000 instead, or even the Panny 65VT50? What about the 70" sharp, LC-70LE845U? Will it look any better than the LC-80LE844U? Should I just wait for something else that will be coming out shortly?

I was in your shoes a little while ago....I had been waiting for the Samsung es8000 lineup since last year. I had my heart set on the 75".....I just could not wait any longer as even the 65" was nowhere to be found.... I ended up buying the sharp 844u, and I am very happy. is it the perfect set? No. Is the samsung better? Perhaps. There is no "perfect" tv. you have to decide which one is best for you. For me, I really wanted a larger Tv as I have a big living room with open kitchen....I had a 63" sammy plasma which I retired to my bedroom, so I needed a tv to replace it. I could have done the waiting game, but then how long of a wait is enough?

There will always be something bigger and better down the line. I figure, my Sharp will tie me over until oled/4k become mainstream and come down in price. The 80" screen is glorious and bluray content looks frekkin' amazing. Yes, I had my sights set on the sammy 75es8000, but where is it at? and plunkin down more then double for what I paid for the Sharp to me was not worth it. At the end of the day, it is up to you and your budget. buy the biggest and best you can afford, but know that you will always find some type of flaw, and there will always be something better around the corner.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 306
By the 80" Sharp. It will look incredible in your house. You can't really rely on in store demos. Too many variables. If I could've afforded it I would've bought one for sure. I ended up the the 70" 732. For the price I paid I'm pretty happy with it.

It has some flaws for sure but none are a deal breaker for how I use it. Bigger is better. smile.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page