Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 01:17 AM 10-02-2012
I still really want to get a good look at a 950. If it really is just a rebadged 929, I'd say it's a bit disappointing. The 929 is a great TV though. Bummer about the zone count being low, though. it seems from the Sony disgrams posted on the previous page, though, that they have at least attempted to make Intelligent Peak LED work more similarly to the Intelligent Variable Contrast system the Elite uses.

8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 05:07 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker 
Also, it is inaccurate to call the "halo" effect blooming, as that is something else entirely in video recording.

haloing= blooming
http://asia.cnet.com/ask/what-is-the-blooming-effect-on-led-backlit-lcd-tvs-62058839.htm
schlick's Avatar schlick 05:41 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

In order to demonstrate the local-dimming "halo" effect, I've recorded a 720P video and uploaded it to YouTube. It's the worst possible set of conditions: dark room, black background, fine white detail (scrolling text), and severely horizontally off-axis. When I pan back around from behind the set my camera gain ramped up for a second and is not accurate. Evaluate after a second to let the camera exposure readjust to get a more accurate feel for the effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8R60PfQhyY&feature=youtu.be
When viewing at such an angle you can get an idea of how the LED bounds the white text on the black background. There are 105 physical LED zones. But let's say theoretically if there were 420 LED local-dimming zones (2x in the X and Y), and the halo effect was reduced in half in each dimension, would that really be a game changer? It would still be there but just trimmed a little closer. I think accepting local-dimming for what is it, and really only having this limited effect in an otherwise "unmeasurable" contrast ratio worth it? I think so. For an LED and especially for the money. If this would really be that big of a problem for you then maybe seriously consider the Panasonic VT50 plasma as an alternative.
Also, it is inaccurate to call the "halo" effect blooming, as that is something else entirely in video recording.

Curious as to whether that was a fairly accurate representation of what you actually see when viewing the source content. If so, the last 15-20 seconds with actual content shows significantly crushed blacks.
upinsmoke's Avatar upinsmoke 07:04 AM 10-02-2012
Anyone know when BB is going to be stocking the 950?
BarrettF77's Avatar BarrettF77 07:23 AM 10-02-2012
Supposedly BB gets them around the 14th. Not sure why they are so slow, but whatever. I'm having two of my Plasmas swapped out by BB for this set because of IR and burn in. Finally found a few magnolia reps who knew their stuff. BB should make staff pass a product test in order to work in Magnolia. It might make their staff more informed.

I laughed in July when asking one employee about the elites and he tells me the sharp elite was discontinued in July of 2011. The set hadn't been released yet and it's already discontinued?!?! Funny.

It's nice to read informed opinions on this site.
upinsmoke's Avatar upinsmoke 08:08 AM 10-02-2012
Thanks Barrett for the info. I spoke to one BB in Newark that said it was available for preorder but going to the Concord Pike location there was no entry in the system - go figure. Are you swapping 2 tvs for one? I'm wondering how much wiggle room is on the price.
BarrettF77's Avatar BarrettF77 08:26 AM 10-02-2012
I'm swapping two 65" plasmas for two 65" 950s. I'm paying a difference, but it will be nice not to have such a trashy technology for entertainment usage. And my 4 year old can watch tv without Dad being in fear. I couldn't tell ya on wiggle room. Speak with you GM, as I've dealt with good stores and nightmarish ones with BB. It's like a lottery.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 08:45 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

Some of these hyper-critical forum posts have me scratching my head for the most part. It's like lets find the weakest aspect of the technology and drill on it. It's starting to get irksome and trite.
Honestly, I could care less what people choose to go with. I'm not going to be a cheerleader and sell anyone on it but if my alternatives are a edge-lit Samsung, a plasma, or a $7-8k LED competitor with weak cyan and off-axis response then I'm fine thank you very much.
And when the halo effect wasn't enough ammo for the critics then the argument went that it wasn't as dramatic difference compared to the 929 as I was expecting. Okay, maybe it's incremental for the same price, and so their point is... A bunch of negativists IMO.
Again, go with one of the alternatives. Good luck with that. I was in Costco the other day and wanted to throw up on the Samsung 7000.
My main issues with the set are with the sound quality (typical flat panel I guess) and sometimes the darks almost seem too dark even though there is detail in the 0-30GL area. It might be that I'm not used to it, or that the mid-darks are too dark without the backlight.
Other than that it's a totally solid set. Something that will see me off to the next technology inflection point in another 5 years or so

you talk about hyper critical forum posts and then you dwell on the flaws of other manufacturer's displays which some people feel is also overblown and not really important...it's all about choosing a display that you can live with...what's important to you may not be important to another person...some may feel that halo effect/ blooming is important...or that a secondary color like cyan is not too big of a deal...or that viewing angles are not a priority since they view the display head on
Vincent Kompany's Avatar Vincent Kompany 09:11 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

you talk about hyper critical forum posts and then you dwell on the flaws of other manufacturer's displays which some people feel is also overblown and not really important...it's all about choosing a display that you can live with...what's important to you may not be important to another person...some may feel that halo effect/ blooming is important...or that a secondary color like cyan is not too big of a deal...or that viewing angles are not a priority since they view the display head on

not to mention that (1) off-axis performance of the elite is as good as (and usually far better than) competing LED LCDs, including sony's; and (2) no one pays $7k, let alone $8k, for an elite 70 anymore. street price is well under $6k now. cheers.
mike50's Avatar mike50 09:35 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kompany View Post

not to mention that (1) off-axis performance of the elite is as good as (and usually far better than) competing LED LCDs, including sony's; and (2) no one pays $7k, let alone $8k, for an elite 70 anymore. street price is well under $6k now. cheers.

This thread is about the Sony XBR-55HX950 and 65HX950. Therefore, can we please forget about the Elite?
Flavius's Avatar Flavius 10:31 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kompany View Post

not to mention that (1) off-axis performance of the elite is as good as (and usually far better than) competing LED LCDs, including sony's; and (2) no one pays $7k, let alone $8k, for an elite 70 anymore. street price is well under $6k now. cheers.

No, where the hell can you get a 70" Elite for under $6K? It's $6500 even at the TRASHIEST of online gray market retailers with NO return policy. At any legit store it is still $8K+. Just GTFO about the overpriced Elite.
Justin Sullins's Avatar Justin Sullins 10:58 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Supposedly BB gets them around the 14th. Not sure why they are so slow, but whatever. I'm having two of my Plasmas swapped out by BB for this set because of IR and burn in. Finally found a few magnolia reps who knew their stuff. BB should make staff pass a product test in order to work in Magnolia. It might make their staff more informed.
I laughed in July when asking one employee about the elites and he tells me the sharp elite was discontinued in July of 2011. The set hadn't been released yet and it's already discontinued?!?! Funny.
It's nice to read informed opinions on this site.

I don't know how it is in other cities but in KC I've yet to see any High-End Sony Sets (HX929/HX850) inside BB since their release, only online or Magnolia.
We do have a Sony Store that keeps plenty in stock of 929 and 850 and already has (8) of the 950s including one on display.
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122 11:10 AM 10-02-2012
I am surprised that Chad B hasnt had a review up on this yet. I figured Cleveland Plasma would have a few of these in for him to calibrate by now.
Feddie's Avatar Feddie 11:11 AM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

No, where the hell can you get a 70" Elite for under $6K? It's $6500 even at the TRASHIEST of online gray market retailers with NO return policy. At any legit store it is still $8K+. Just GTFO about the overpriced Elite.
Sounds like someone doesn't like facts. This "owners" thread is full of people that aren't owners, but posts like quoted are just a disservice to this forum. Many people looking at this TV are also considering the Elite. There will always be comparison questions posted.
BarrettF77's Avatar BarrettF77 12:20 PM 10-02-2012
I was also looking at the elite. It's panel is really amazing. That being said, Sharp is in shark infested waters financially. Also, the TV suffers from LED "pulsing" issues, cyan error, and the increasingly frequent IR sensor failure. Essentially making your remote worthless. So within months of ownership, the TV has to be opened and repaired. These things distract from the piece of mind in ownership and are blown up when you consider the price point you are at. I buy Hugh end televisions for quality and years of enjoyment. Not to have service calls every other month.

Blooming/halos in this set are unfortunate, but it's a better value in my book.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 12:26 PM 10-02-2012
how is color accuracy on the HX929/HX950?...after calibration can it be dialed in perfectly?...Elite has its teal/cyan errors and was wondering how the Sony does overall
cosmos5861's Avatar cosmos5861 12:34 PM 10-02-2012
I am torn between this LCD XBR HX950 and the Panasonic VT 50 Plasma. I called two local high stores and both claim that i will be very disappointed with the 950 compared to the VT50 for multiple issues. One of them being motion blur since i mentioned I watch a lot of soccer games. I then called one of the well know company that post a lot on this site and they said the same that i will be the VT 50 was superior over the 950. Thoughts?
GeoffreyMorrison's Avatar GeoffreyMorrison 12:45 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I am torn between this LCD XBR HX950 and the Panasonic VT 50 Plasma. I called two local high stores and both claim that i will be very disappointed with the 950 compared to the VT50 for multiple issues. One of them being motion blur since i mentioned I watch a lot of soccer games. I then called one of the well know company that post a lot on this site and they said the same that i will be the VT 50 was superior over the 950. Thoughts?

Having reviewed both, the VT50 blew me away. The HX950 is an excellent TV, but I'd take the VT50 over it easily.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-panasonic-tc-p55vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv
http://hdguru.com/sony-xbr55hx950-3d-led-lcd-hdtv-first-review/8724/

The Sony is way brighter, though, if that's something you need.
vaxick's Avatar vaxick 12:57 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post

Having reviewed both, the VT50 blew me away. The HX950 is an excellent TV, but I'd take the VT50 over it easily.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-panasonic-tc-p55vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv
http://hdguru.com/sony-xbr55hx950-3d-led-lcd-hdtv-first-review/8724/
The Sony is way brighter, though, if that's something you need.

Geoffrey, not to to come off as sounding rude, but in your reviews, you really should provide some input lag testing.
jmjunker's Avatar jmjunker 01:04 PM 10-02-2012
Post pics of your new Elite... I can't wait to see! ; )

At $2699, my 950 was only 1/3 the price of an Elite and I'm very happy with it. cool.gif
GeoffreyMorrison's Avatar GeoffreyMorrison 01:04 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Geoffrey, not to to come off as sounding rude, but in your reviews, you really should provide some input lag testing.

It's funny you mention that, as the vast majority of my viewing on the displays I review is games. Way more than TV or movies (though I watch those too, of course). The only recent TV I really noticed an issue was with the Samsung EH6000. The review isn't up yet on S+V, but it should be soon. Crazy bad input lag. After that experience, I'm testing every TV. The Disney WoW disc has a great pattern for it. So far no other TVs have had a big issue.

I didn't think people cared, but now I'll make sure to mention the results (even if they're fine) in future reviews.
jmjunker's Avatar jmjunker 01:13 PM 10-02-2012
Also FYI, I need to update my settings but last night I turned off the ambient light sensor and really liked the brightness increase since I am running the backlight down and MotionFlow on Clear. Will be testing further.
jmjunker's Avatar jmjunker 01:18 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post

Disney WoW disc has a great pattern for it. So far no other TVs have had a big issue.
I didn't think people cared, but now I'll make sure to mention the results (even if they're fine) in future reviews.

If that is the spinning dial thing with the beep on WOW, then it's hitting 0ms for me with the XBR950.
jmjunker's Avatar jmjunker 01:24 PM 10-02-2012
Guess I always thought of it more as CCD leakage where it streaks. I guess you could look at this the same way.

http://learn.hamamatsu.com/articles/ccdsatandblooming.html
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 01:26 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I am torn between this LCD XBR HX950 and the Panasonic VT 50 Plasma. I called two local high stores and both claim that i will be very disappointed with the 950 compared to the VT50 for multiple issues. One of them being motion blur since i mentioned I watch a lot of soccer games. I then called one of the well know company that post a lot on this site and they said the same that i will be the VT 50 was superior over the 950. Thoughts?

i can assure you that if you don't have a dark environment for the vt50 your wasting your time. this tv really needs a batcave to shine, if you have this or most of the time you will be happy w/ it. in a normal living room environment with some windows the 950 will destroy the vt50.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 01:29 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

i can assure you that if you don't have a dark environment for the vt50 your wasting your time. this tv really needs a batcave to shine, if you have this or most of the time you will be happy w/ it. in a normal living room environment with some windows the 950 will destroy the vt50.

doesn't a 'normal' living room consist of blinds or curtains on the windows?...LCD and plasma sets are both best when viewed in light controlled environments
GeoffreyMorrison's Avatar GeoffreyMorrison 01:38 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

If that is the spinning dial thing with the beep on WOW, then it's hitting 0ms for me with the XBR950.

That is what I found as well.
kesando's Avatar kesando 02:34 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

No, where the hell can you get a 70" Elite for under $6K? It's $6500 even at the TRASHIEST of online gray market retailers with NO return policy. At any legit store it is still $8K+. Just GTFO about the overpriced Elite.

So are you stating that Value Electronics and Cleavland Plasma are not reputable dealers? Again no one is paying MSRP for an Elite and pricing around/below $6000 is pretty easy to come by if you know where to look. Also If you feel that the Sony is a better value then thats perfectly fine. We're all entitled to an opinion.smile.gif Perhaps the Sony will get a chance to prove itself at this years Flat Panal Shootout
cosmos5861's Avatar cosmos5861 02:45 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
i can assure you that if you don't have a dark environment for the vt50 your wasting your time. this tv really needs a batcave to shine, if you have this or most of the time you will be happy w/ it. in a normal living room environment with some windows the 950 will destroy the vt50.


Can you please tell me why it needs a batcave?
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 02:47 PM 10-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

doesn't a 'normal' living room consist of blinds or curtains on the windows?...LCD and plasma sets are both best when viewed in light controlled environments

but the caveat is: the lcd does not suffer pq unless sunlight is directly on the screen whereas the plasma that is not the case.
Tags: Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop