Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 4543 Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourmb View Post

man sliding.gif 420k .gif file

Huh??

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4543 Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
THX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am simply amazed that Sony is discontinuing this incredible TV. I feel like I got "in" right when the getting was good.

Was this TV on the market for even 2 years?

I looked at Sony's at Best Buy and all they have now is a 70" for $2398 and then all of a sudden you jump to the 65" 4K TV for $6998. There is no middle ground.

Just an all-around shame. I'm sure this forum will also be winding down unfortunately...
steve1971 likes this.
post #3963 of 4543 Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post

I am simply amazed that Sony is discontinuing this incredible TV. I feel like I got "in" right when the getting was good.

I looked at Sony's at Best Buy and all they have now is a 70" for $2398 and then all of a sudden you jump to the 65" 4K TV for $6998. There is no middle ground.

Just an all-around shame. I'm sure this forum will also be winding down unfortunately...

You definitely got in just in time, the 950 supply is drying up.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #3964 of 4543 Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post

It is almost like looking around your soon to be vacant house one last time before you close and lock the door for the last time. It could be worse, you could wish for a fatal flaw to the 929/950 so we can be buddies for another 4 years like the KDS-RxxXBR1 and XBR2 forums, which are going strong 5 years after their models were cancelled. I owned both models and even though they had a great picture for their day, I wouldn't wish the Green Blob on even my mother-in-law.
post #3965 of 4543 Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
THX

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourmb View Post

It is almost like looking around your soon to be vacant house one last time before you close and lock the door for the last time. It could be worse, you could wish for a fatal flaw to the 929/950 so we can be buddies for another 4 years like the KDS-RxxXBR1 and XBR2 forums, which are going strong 5 years after their models were cancelled. I owned both models and even though they had a great picture for their day, I wouldn't wish the Green Blob on even my mother-in-law.

And what's funny is that the reason I got this TV was due to my Green Blob of Death on my KDS!
post #3966 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Having seen the W900A in person playing Sony's 4K media, you have to get very close, like inches to see a benefit.

Compared to the inky blacks of my 950. I wouldn't have waited for triluminous.

Then there's the ugly speakers you cannot detach.

You mean X900A. The W900A has the TRILUMINOS display but without 4K resolution, and it omits the side-mounted speakers. It also retails for less than half the price of the comparably sized X900A
post #3967 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

You mean X900A. The W900A has the TRILUMINOS display but without 4K resolution, and it omits the side-mounted speakers. It also retails for less than half the price of the comparably sized X900A
Oops, thank you, I was just copying the posters model number from earlier. I did see it at Fry's Electronics. Wasn't very familiar with the model number. Thanks

Equipment: |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3968 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Me, too. Sony upgraded my 2006 XBR1 to a 2007 XBR2 model the due to a very minor greenish hue for free (after refund due to class action suit) and provided a warranty on the XBR2 optical block. After 4 years of flawless use, the first light bulb replacement in 2012 was about to happen when I noticed the Green Blob again. Sony gave me a 46HX729 tv for free due to the XBR2 issues in 2012 and I turned around and also bought my 55HX929, too.
post #3969 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been discussing the production of speaker grille/covers for the new Sony sold as an aftermarket option. It can be easily attached by use of a velcro mting system and we've been discussingmaking them in a few colors blk / gry/ white and he even suggested a version in a material that would allow you to spray-dye to your choice of colors. they will come with a mounting overlay for the taping strips to correlate to the same mtings on the reverse side of the bezels, making it completely doable by anyone, or at least 98% of the people ...LOL

post #3970 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I'd just get my hack saw out... wink.gif

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3971 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd just get my hack saw out... wink.gif

Effective but, crude results .....biggrin.gif
CaptainVideoJW likes this.

post #3972 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

You can detach the speakers from the 84" right?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3973 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can detach the speakers from the 84" right?

I can't find any info that supports they are detachable, and I'm sure they would have touted that fact in their promotional site http://store.sony.com/c/XBR_4K_Ultra_HDTV/en/c/S_84_4KTV

it would have been an excellent option to offer buyers in that Hi-end tier ?? wouldn't be the first time they made a poor design choice.

BTW note how close that viewer is in relation to the display distance 'he's sitting directly in frt within a couple of feet' I wouldn't be comfortable like that .......me ? too close !
gulhi-falhu likes this.

post #3974 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

I can't find any info that supports they are detachable, and I'm sure they would have touted that fact in their promotional site http://store.sony.com/c/XBR_4K_Ultra_HDTV/en/c/S_84_4KTV

it would have been an excellent option to offer buyers in that Hi-end tier ?? wouldn't be the first time they made a poor design choice.
I read it on the Internet, therefore it must be true. smile.gif

"...the XBR-84X900 features large, detachable speaker panels that connect to the side of the TV"

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/03/hands-on-with-sony-s-84-inch-ultra-hd-tv/index.htm

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3975 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

duly noted the XBR-84X900 features large, detachable speaker panels that connect to the side of the TV. With movie clips,

But I can't understand why that info is not include in their site's profiles ??

I just don't want to sit that close, as necessary for full impact viewing .....too close, it's like being center front row courtside at Wimbledon

The review also indicates that the smaller sizes 55- 60 difference would be negligible

So.......Go BIG or Go Home !

post #3976 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Or maybe it's like your own personal home IMAX screen?

Omg, there is actually such a thing?!? I googled it for some clip art and voila.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-07/imax-has-a-new-home-theater-for-your-very-big-very-nice-house

"Assuming you have the resources—it’s a $2 million installation, minimum—and the space (all screens will be at least 20 feet wide)"

Makes the 84" a bargain!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3977 of 4543 Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

duly noted the XBR-84X900 features large, detachable speaker panels that connect to the side of the TV. With movie clips,

But I can't understand why that info is not include in their site's profiles ??

I just don't want to sit that close, as necessary for full impact viewing .....too close, it's like being center front row courtside at Wimbledon

The review also indicates that the smaller sizes 55- 60 difference would be negligible

So.......Go BIG or Go Home !

Like I have been saying...............the only way to see the advantages of 4K over 1080p is to go BIG! I agree 55 to 60 you aint going to see any real difference.
net_synapse likes this.
post #3978 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
i have a brand new 65 inch xbr hx950 still in box. i am located in southern california. selling for $3200 if any one is interested
post #3979 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post

i have a brand new 65 inch xbr hx950 still in box. i am located in southern california. selling for $3200 if any one is interested

Still no luck selling it, huh?

post #3980 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 17
Well, I got mounted today.. (Unfortunately not by the wife..) And yes, I am redoing my molding soon..

JohnGZ28 and steve1971 like this.
post #3981 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Looks very nice! Enjoy

What kind of sound bar is that?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3982 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrue5 View Post

Well, I got mounted today.. (Unfortunately not by the wife..) And yes, I am redoing my molding soon..

Too funny biggrin.gif

Looks great.

JohnG
post #3983 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

JTrue5 looks good

post #3984 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn that looks nice! Is that the new Sony soundbar? If it is how does it sound? I almost got one before I decided on a Pioneer Surround sound system. Let me know because I might still get one because I am going to be doing some remodeling of the wife and mines room and I might still get one. But again very nice.
post #3985 of 4543 Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Looks very nice! Enjoy

What kind of sound bar is that?

It's the Sony HT-CT260.
Quote:

JTrue5 looks good

Thanks.. Even the installer was like holy s@#t the picture on that TV is amazing.
Quote:
Damn that looks nice! Is that the new Sony soundbar? If it is how does it sound? I almost got one before I decided on a Pioneer Surround sound system. Let me know because I might still get one because I am going to be doing some remodeling of the wife and mines room and I might still get one. But again very nice.

Thanks.. Not sure how "new" it is but it sounds better than the sub-par speakers on this otherwise great television. It's more than adequate for day to day use in your living room. I actually have a Bang Olufsen Beosound 9000 system with the Beolab 8000 speakers but didn't bother trying to connect it up. Before I forget, if you are in the NY, NJ, CT tri-state area, I told the installer about the forum. If anyone who needs a decent installer who is reasonable, feel free to PM me for his contact info. He said it was fine to pass it along.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #3986 of 4543 Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I wish I had a screen capture feature on my TV...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3987 of 4543 Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I had a screen capture feature on my TV...

You do........all you have to do when playing a movie is hit pause. Its tough while watching regular tv but it can be done.
post #3988 of 4543 Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

You know what I mean. Instead on pausing, and take a picture of the screen with my iPhone.
Like on a computer where you hit Print Screen on your keyboard and a copy of what's on-screen goes to the clipboard.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #3989 of 4543 Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Ha, Ha, did you think that people who hang out on an audio/video forum would be so critical to pick out strutural flaws in your photo beyond your tv? Oh, what about that nasty gap between the ceiling and molding? Are you going to sand that seam along the molding, too? What about that paint edge in the lower left-hand side? Just kidding!!!!
post #3990 of 4543 Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
I am picking up my XBR 55HX950 today. I dislike the chrome horseshoe base. Will any of the flat, black swivel stands for other models fit?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page