Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 142 - AVS Forum
First ... 140  141  142 143  144  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 11:33 AM 10-31-2013
I just want to send out a big thank you to Rizz. I had been using Hometheatermag.com's Tom Norton's setting's for my HX850 that he had posted until Rizz came over to Blu ray.com's website and posted the setting's he uses on his HX950. Now since both TV's are pretty much the same save for the Full Array LED feature I thought why not give his setting's a try? What harm could it do? Answer? Rizz's setting's are fabulous! The PQ is gorgeous and the blacks are nice and deep just the way I like them. The only things I left on were Smooth Gradation, Motionflow, Black Corrector (Low), ACE (Low), and the Light Senor (Low). Why? 1 I like these features unlike a lot of people and 2 the light senor saves energy, its a personal preference thing as well I guess. Otherwise they are all set up according to Rizz's settings and to my eye they look great and they are the settings I am going to stick with. Other HX950 owners should also give them a try and see what they think, HX850 owners should as well. Ask Rizz and I think he will share them with you. But again thanks Rizz for the setting's they are great and I love them.

biggrin.gif

IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 11:35 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I just want to send out a big thank you to Rizz. I had been using Hometheatermag.com's Tom Norton's setting's for my HX850 that he had posted until Rizz came over to Blu ray.com's website and posted the setting's he uses on his HX950. Now since both TV's are pretty much the same save for the Full Array LED feature I thought why not give his setting's a try? What harm could it do? Answer? Rizz's setting's are fabulous! The PQ is gorgeous and the blacks are nice and deep just the way I like them. The only things I left on were Smooth Gradation, Motionflow, Black Corrector (Low), ACE (Low), and the Light Senor (Low). Why? 1 I like these features unlike a lot of people and 2 the light senor saves energy, its a personal preference thing as well I guess. Otherwise they are all set up according to Rizz's settings and to my eye they look great and they are the settings I am going to stick with. Other HX950 owners should also give them a try and see what they think, HX850 owners should as well. Ask Rizz and I think he will share them with you. But again thanks Rizz for the setting's they are great and I love them.

biggrin.gif

Thanks, glad they worked out for you.
BTW I have a XBR929 & XBR8
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 11:45 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Thanks, glad they worked out for you.
BTW I have a XBR929 & XBR8

Holy crap Rizz you have both the XBR929 & THE XBR8 to? Not to mention the HX950 as well? What did you do with those now that you have the 950? Did you sell them or keep them? Both TV's were excellent and I hope your still enjoying them.
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 02:39 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Holy crap Rizz you have both the XBR929 & THE XBR8 to? Not to mention the HX950 as well? What did you do with those now that you have the 950? Did you sell them or keep them? Both TV's were excellent and I hope your still enjoying them.

I don't have a 950 just the other 2 the 929 is in my tv room and the XBR8 is in the bedroom
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 03:17 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a 950 just the other 2 the 929 is in my tv room and the XBR8 is in the bedroom

Oh ok. Well again both TV's are some of Sonys very best so you are lucky Rizz.
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 05:10 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:

I'm a Sony whore
ljmart's Avatar ljmart 06:44 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I'm a Sony whore

ha! hey there father timeless wink.gif i didnt know you have the xbr's... Nice!
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:22 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I'm a Sony whore

Yea well your not alone Rizz because so am I and proud of it. biggrin.gif
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 07:29 PM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

Nice bear .......ha ha, hi, yes I have both sets, Also had an XBR4 which I gave to my daughter.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:57 AM 11-01-2013
Quote:

Quote:

Nice bear .......ha ha, hi, yes I have both sets, Also had an XBR4 which I gave to my daughter.

You also had an XBR4 as well? Damn I loved those sets from Sony. The design was exceptional to say the least. Your daughter is lucky to have it.
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 08:56 AM 11-01-2013
Quote:

You also had an XBR4 as well? Damn I loved those sets from Sony. The design was exceptional to say the least. Your daughter is lucky to have it.

I know and now she's eying the XBR8 telling me I should get an OLED, she is so caring .......lol
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:43 PM 11-01-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I know and now she's eying the XBR8 telling me I should get an OLED, she is so caring .......lol

Get an OLED Rizz? Good luck with that and you better have the cash because they are far from cheap. Keep the XBR8 because they don't make them like that anymore.
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 08:46 PM 11-01-2013
Quote:

Get an OLED Rizz? Good luck with that and you better have the cash because they are far from cheap. Keep the XBR8 because they don't make them like that anymore.

I will most likely follow OLED technology on the Forums. That's where everyone comes to these forums to question other new owners for the 'real info' short comings, problems, failures etc. That will be at least a year into the technology and "Hands-on" owners treads. I'm not ready to "be the first kid on the block" I'll wait but, I will convert as soon as it's 'proven'
Isn't that what HD is about ?
John Boyd's Avatar John Boyd 02:09 AM 11-02-2013
I still haven't been able to get any concrete confirmation about the menu resolution issues I'm having. I called SONY support but they didn't have anything useful to offer.

I've seen a few more floor models now and they all exhibit the 480p style menu resolution, but I'm still having trouble believing that Sony designed the set this way.

My PS3 is 7 years old and it has super sharp 1080p text in its menus.

Some of the apps on the HX950 including the SEN look nice and sharp, but the main picture setting menus are all jaggy, low resolution text.

Can any owners here weigh in on this matter for me.

Thanks.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:45 AM 11-02-2013
Quote:

Quote:

I will most likely follow OLED technology on the Forums. That's where everyone comes to these forums to question other new owners for the 'real info' short comings, problems, failures etc. That will be at least a year into the technology and "Hands-on" owners treads. I'm not ready to "be the first kid on the block" I'll wait but, I will convert as soon as it's 'proven'
Isn't that what HD is about ?

I'm with you Rizz on the OLED thing. I will wait it out and see what happens until then I stay with the excellent set I have. One thing is for sure though and that is there is no 4K now or anytime in the future for me. OLED yes, 4K no.
illinx's Avatar illinx 11:31 AM 11-02-2013

Has anyone gotten PCM 5.1 or higher to output through ARC? The WiiU only does PCM surround but it appears to only be passing through 2.0.

Padrino's Avatar Padrino 04:38 PM 11-02-2013
mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

After having this TV for only 8 months I just got a line of defects in the LCD about 2/3 down and another batch of lines messed up in the bottom 8 lines. These defects just suddenly appeared. This is a similar thing that happened with my other TV and its just frustrating as ever. I do have a extended support warranty so I guess I will be calling Sony soon. But I know this TV is no longer being mfg. and I don't like the idea of a crappy re-furb. Just when I go used to the TV and its few, minor flaws, I have to start all over again. This is just a bit infuriating. TVs (at least high-end ones) used to last a long time and not start to break down after only a year. This is my second TV that had problems much too soon in the lifespan.

Has anyone here had there LCD defects (lines/blocks of pioxes suddenly go fixed light or dark?).
GO147's Avatar GO147 07:28 PM 11-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

After having this TV for only 8 months I just got a line of defects in the LCD about 2/3 down and another batch of lines messed up in the bottom 8 lines. These defects just suddenly appeared. This is a similar thing that happened with my other TV and its just frustrating as ever. I do have a extended support warranty so I guess I will be calling Sony soon. But I know this TV is no longer being mfg. and I don't like the idea of a crappy re-furb. Just when I go used to the TV and its few, minor flaws, I have to start all over again. This is just a bit infuriating. TVs (at least high-end ones) used to last a long time and not start to break down after only a year. This is my second TV that had problems much too soon in the lifespan.

Has anyone here had there LCD defects (lines/blocks of pioxes suddenly go fixed light or dark?).

Yes, I had two lines of stuck/dead red pixels appear a couple of months back, they were stuck as red pixels if that is indeed what was actually wrong. Sony replaced the entire screen on my unit, this included the glass!! This has happened to a few people now.I bought from a Sony Store so there was no hassle, I asked for the repair to be done in my house (told them it was my only TV) so that I wouldn't be left without it for long and so that I could supervise the repair!

Good luck, its a panel failure as far as Sony are concerned and panels are a plenty in Europe.
ljmart's Avatar ljmart 08:41 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:

Quote:

lol yes she is a lucky girl! and im sure well deserving smile.gif
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 09:21 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lol yes she is a lucky girl! and im sure well deserving smile.gif

+1 smile.gif
IMRIZZO's Avatar IMRIZZO 06:53 AM 11-04-2013
Quote:

+1 smile.gif

thx, daddy's lil girl, a chip off the ol' Brooklyn block.
BIGBERTHA's Avatar BIGBERTHA 05:23 PM 11-07-2013
Super late to the party obviously, but I couldn't resist...XBR55HX950 demo model missing stand for $1300 with free ISF calibration and free 4 yr warranty. I fired it up in the store and nothing seemed wrong with the set. No dead pixels, lines, etc. The only thing was a small "blemish" on the glass itself. I hesitate to call it a scratch, maybe a scuff, but I couldn't see it unless I was two inches from the screen and not at all when powered up. I'm sure it will irritate me...just knowing it is there, but it seemed so minor considering the price. How did I do?
Kisakuku's Avatar Kisakuku 05:39 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBERTHA View Post

Super late to the party obviously, but I couldn't resist...XBR55HX950 demo model missing stand for $1300 with free ISF calibration and free 4 yr warranty. I fired it up in the store and nothing seemed wrong with the set. No dead pixels, lines, etc. The only thing was a small "blemish" on the glass itself. I hesitate to call it a scratch, maybe a scuff, but I couldn't see it unless I was two inches from the screen and not at all when powered up. I'm sure it will irritate me...just knowing it is there, but it seemed so minor considering the price. How did I do?

Not a bad deal. I would check the diagnostic screen to see the hours on the panel. You can buy the stand separately if you need it.
BIGBERTHA's Avatar BIGBERTHA 05:41 PM 11-07-2013
How would I access diagnostic screen?
Kisakuku's Avatar Kisakuku 05:51 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:

With TV off press DISPLAY , 5 , VOL DOWN , POWER in fast succession. The numbers on the bottom mean TV operation hours - number of boots - panel operation hours.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:59 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Quote:

With TV off press DISPLAY , 5 , VOL DOWN , POWER in fast succession. The numbers on the bottom mean TV operation hours - number of boots - panel operation hours.

I would love to try this on my HX850 but I am scared as hell it will mess the tv up in some way. eek.gif
chi_guy50's Avatar chi_guy50 06:05 AM 11-08-2013
Quote:

I would love to try this on my HX850 but I am scared as hell it will mess the tv up in some way. eek.gif

If you have any hesitancy about it, then you should not do it. But you can't really screw anything up in the diagnostic mode (as opposed to the service mode, which should only be accessed by a qualified technician).

The only interactive feature in the Self Check diagnostic history screen is the ability to zero out the error count and the panel operating hours, which you can do by pressing "8" and then "0" for the former and "7" and "0" for the latter. Otherwise, it's for informational purposes only.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:57 AM 11-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Quote:

If you have any hesitancy about it, then you should not do it. But you can't really screw anything up in the diagnostic mode (as opposed to the service mode, which should only be accessed by a qualified technician).

The only interactive feature in the Self Check diagnostic history screen is the ability to zero out the error count and the panel operating hours, which you can do by pressing "8" and then "0" for the former and "7" and "0" for the latter. Otherwise, it's for informational purposes only.

Well I took the plunge chi and did the Diagnostic thing and was surprised to see 0's down the board and the numbers for panel hours ect were low as well. So I am a pretty happy guy! smile.gif
BIGBERTHA's Avatar BIGBERTHA 10:26 AM 11-08-2013
Watched Canucks game and a couple eps of Downton with the wife last night. In a word...amazing! I also tested Toy Story 3 in 3D and it also looked stunning. A big step up compared to my NX810. I used ImRizzo's settings by the way.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 11:46 AM 11-08-2013
Quote:

Watched Canucks game and a couple eps of Downton with the wife last night. In a word...amazing! I also tested Toy Story 3 in 3D and it also looked stunning. A big step up compared to my NX810. I used ImRizzo's settings by the way.

I am currently using Rizz's settings as well on my HX850 and they are excellent.
Tags: Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
First ... 140  141  142 143  144  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop