Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 4527 Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post

I haven't actively tried to look. Don't notice anything watching TV from 7 to 8 feet away.

have you already noticed some vertical band when the screen pans to the sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4527 Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razhiell View Post

have you already noticed some vertical band when the screen pans to the sides?

Can't say I have. Watched X-Men First Class and Amazing Spider-Man on Blu-ray recently and both looked great!
post #4503 of 4527 Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Can't say I have. Watched X-Men First Class and Amazing Spider-Man on Blu-ray recently and both looked great!

even when you're watching sports with green camp and the camera pans to the sides? take a look please, it is important for our analysis thanks
post #4504 of 4527 Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razhiell View Post

even when you're watching sports with green camp and the camera pans to the sides? take a look please, it is important for our analysis thanks

I watched some hockey and didn't notice it either. Maybe I'll catch an MLS game this weekend to see.
post #4505 of 4527 Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 PM

Watching tonight's game. Nothing out of the ordinary.

post #4506 of 4527 Old 05-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Watching tonight's game. Nothing out of the ordinary.

thanks man for your attention and feedback. if you realize some vertical banding, tell us. try to see it on a football green camp.
post #4507 of 4527 Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Stand Question. XBR-65HX950

We just picked up one of these at a decent price.

As others has posted the 65" model comes with the stand attached. Something I noticed however, is that the tv seems to be leaning back at a slight angle. Is this working as intended? Or is it possible to adjust it to be more straight up and down? From what I have seen, it doesn't appear so, unless I am missing something.

I find it odd the manual shows all sorts of stand info, but it notes (Except the 65hx950). But then, it doesn't go on to say anything about this specific model. Then tonight, I contact Sony online help, just to have them refer me a page of a manual that is only discussing on how to wire/tie down the stand for safety tipping reasons. So I am really at a loss here.

I have seen photo's where the tv is straight up and down, and back at an angle. But I am starting to wonder if these pics were of the 55" version.

Thanks everyone in advance.
post #4508 of 4527 Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckfops View Post
We just picked up one of these at a decent price.

As others has posted the 65" model comes with the stand attached. Something I noticed however, is that the tv seems to be leaning back at a slight angle. Is this working as intended? Or is it possible to adjust it to be more straight up and down? From what I have seen, it doesn't appear so, unless I am missing something.

I find it odd the manual shows all sorts of stand info, but it notes (Except the 65hx950). But then, it doesn't go on to say anything about this specific model. Then tonight, I contact Sony online help, just to have them refer me a page of a manual that is only discussing on how to wire/tie down the stand for safety tipping reasons. So I am really at a loss here.

I have seen photo's where the tv is straight up and down, and back at an angle. But I am starting to wonder if these pics were of the 55" version.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Mine is on a wall mount so the stand had to be removed. I don't recall seeing anything adjustable. It was simply bolted on.
post #4509 of 4527 Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Found some time to call Sony today.

After a bit of discussion, they claim that what you see is what you get. It is angled back like that for stability reasons, due to the large size and weight of the tv.

Thank you for the reply.
post #4510 of 4527 Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
55HX950 replacement

Would appreciate any advice. A horizontal line of dead pixels appeared about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom so I called Sony. They offered me a 55X900B as a replacement for my 55HX950 (bought early 2013). Seems pretty good to me as the 900B costs quite a bit more than what I paid for the 950. It's a pretty new model so I was hoping it wouldn't be a refurb. Thoughts?
post #4511 of 4527 Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Well, you'd be giving up full array local dimming.
post #4512 of 4527 Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 190
If you watch movies and stuff in a dimmed room the FALD hx950 will outperform the Edge Lit x900b.

The replacement will Always be something that they want to get rid of, for instance a TV that someone returned because it has some blooming or a few dead pixels, or a model which was hard to get rid of. So check out the TV first and read reviews/user threads ...and ask for other options.
post #4513 of 4527 Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Warranty Question

My 55HX950, still covered under manufacturer warranty, has multiple horizontal lines (dead, stuck whatever pixels).

What's the chance I can get Sony to reimburse me so I can buy another elsewhere? I see the 65" are available from OneCall.

I want FALD, and there's no way I can afford the $8K X950B.

Suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks
post #4514 of 4527 Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post
Warranty Question

My 55HX950, still covered under manufacturer warranty, has multiple horizontal lines (dead, stuck whatever pixels).

What's the chance I can get Sony to reimburse me so I can buy another elsewhere? I see the 65" are available from OneCall.

Under their warranty program, Sony will either repair or replace a defective product. There is no chance that they will "reimburse you" for the purchase of another product--even one of their own manufacture.

OTOH, once your defective set is repaired/replaced, you are free to sell it and apply the proceeds to a new purchase. Since the repaired/replaced set will carry a Sony warranty (typically one year, I believe), it should have more than minimal value on the second-hand marketplace.

Alternatively, you can always try to bargain with Sony's warranty department to "trade up" on any replacement model they offer you; but they are usually unwilling to agree to more than a meager discount off the MSRP of the higher model in return for your damaged set. If they offer you the X900B, as they apparently did @Blakjac , bear in mind that this set, although not FALD, is 4K and has the newer TRILUMINOS panel.

I will also add that I strongly disagree with @8mile13 's previous post regarding the reliability of a warranty replacement; my experience has been that Sony's factory-refurbished products are at least as reliable as new, if not better. It would be a poor business model indeed if they made it their policy to replace one defective product with another known defective product still under warranty--that's just a recipe for added operating costs and customer dissatisfaction to boot.
post #4515 of 4527 Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Need help!

I will be heading out to a local electronic store this Sunday to look at the 65" model. It's selling for $2,800 all in, Canadian dollars. They're offering a one year warranty, they claim that it's 'new' (despite being a 2012 model). Thoughts? What are some things I should ask or look out for? I heard of banding issues, but for the price point it's quite tempting.

Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
post #4516 of 4527 Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarindeed View Post
I will be heading out to a local electronic store this Sunday to look at the 65" model. It's selling for $2,800 all in, Canadian dollars. They're offering a one year warranty, they claim that it's 'new' (despite being a 2012 model). Thoughts? What are some things I should ask or look out for? I heard of banding issues, but for the price point it's quite tempting.

Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Hmmm, who is backing the warranty? Sony provides an 18-month warranty on these sets when new; if it's not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, then it's either not new (e.g., used, open-box, customer-return) and/or the seller is not an authorized Sony retailer, in which case you could be looking at grey-market merchandise.

I would be very circumspect about spending almost $3K for this item under these circumstances. Other than the obvious thorough inspection of the set's operational and cosmetic condition, including any accessories, I would check out the reliability of the seller, verify who is backing the warranty, and discuss the conditions of the sale (e.g., delivery and extent of any free return period) before committing to buy. My $.02.
post #4517 of 4527 Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 386
OneCall still has new 65" HX950's for sale in the US. Since it's new it still should have the full manufacturer's warranty. If the store in Canada is selling it as new and the receipt indicates that I don't see how Sony could not honor the warranty (assuming they're authorized).
post #4518 of 4527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Many thanks, you guys. Definitely will follow up as I anticipate my visit to the store tomorrow.
post #4519 of 4527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Hmmm, who is backing the warranty? Sony provides an 18-month warranty on these sets when new; if it's not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, then it's either not new (e.g., used, open-box, customer-return) and/or the seller is not an authorized Sony retailer, in which case you could be looking at grey-market merchandise.

I would be very circumspect about spending almost $3K for this item under these circumstances. Other than the obvious thorough inspection of the set's operational and cosmetic condition, including any accessories, I would check out the reliability of the seller, verify who is backing the warranty, and discuss the conditions of the sale (e.g., delivery and extent of any free return period) before committing to buy. My $.02.
If they're a Sony-Authorized seller/warranty, would you recommend purchasing an extended warranty, considering some of the pixel/banding issues some posters here have addressed?
post #4520 of 4527 Old 07-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
If they're a Sony-Authorized seller/warranty, would you recommend purchasing an extended warranty, considering some of the pixel/banding issues some posters here have addressed?
First off, I should have stipulated that my previous post regarding Sony's 18-month warranty coverage for this set is based on information pertaining to the U.S. market; I suppose it's possible that the coverage period valid for Canadian sales could be different (although I doubt it). Since the standard Sony TV warranty is 12-months, many retailers routinely cite this period despite the fact that the higher-end XBR sets have qualified for the extended 18-month coverage for many model years going back at least to the XBR4. And, in fact, the marketing spec sheet for the XBR-55HX950 on Sony's Canadian web site does stipulate a warranty term of 18 months (click on the "Marketing Specifications" hyperlink under the "Manuals, Specs & Warranty" tab and go to the bottom of the third column on page 3 of 4).

You can verify whether your store is an authorized Sony dealer using Sony Canada's store locator here. If you purchase using a major credit card, your card issuer may grant you an additional year of warranty coverage. Assuming an 18-month manufacturer's warranty plus one additional year through the credit card's carrier, I wouldn't spring for any extended warranty unless the cost were minimal (say, less than $50 per year). Most defects will surface in the first year or two, and beyond that you start to reach the point of diminishing returns anyway given the pace of technology advances.

That's actually more than my $.02 worth; I feel I should charge you $1.00 (US) at this point.
post #4521 of 4527 Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
First off, I should have stipulated that my previous post regarding Sony's 18-month warranty coverage for this set is based on information pertaining to the U.S. market; I suppose it's possible that the coverage period valid for Canadian sales could be different (although I doubt it). Since the standard Sony TV warranty is 12-months, many retailers routinely cite this period despite the fact that the higher-end XBR sets have qualified for the extended 18-month coverage for many model years going back at least to the XBR4. And, in fact, the marketing spec sheet for the XBR-55HX950 on Sony's Canadian web site does stipulate a warranty term of 18 months (click on the "Marketing Specifications" hyperlink under the "Manuals, Specs & Warranty" tab and go to the bottom of the third column on page 3 of 4).

You can verify whether your store is an authorized Sony dealer using Sony Canada's store locator here. If you purchase using a major credit card, your card issuer may grant you an additional year of warranty coverage. Assuming an 18-month manufacturer's warranty plus one additional year through the credit card's carrier, I wouldn't spring for any extended warranty unless the cost were minimal (say, less than $50 per year). Most defects will surface in the first year or two, and beyond that you start to reach the point of diminishing returns anyway given the pace of technology advances.

That's actually more than my $.02 worth; I feel I should charge you $1.00 (US) at this point.
Most Credit cards...Amex being one and Visa signature being another one...will double the manufacturers warranty up to one year at no extra charge

One Call does in deed have this Tv as well as Fry's electronics( in certain locations)

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #4522 of 4527 Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
55HX950 Replacement

So the 900B Sony offered me was delivered. Looks new, manufactured May 2014 Mexico. Is there any way to check if it's a refurb? Service menu entry of some kind?

I was able to watch half the world cup games with the HX950 and the rest with the 900B. Using just the presets I'd say the HX950 is better at displaying the 1080i compressed signals from the cable co (to my completely untrained eye). When I popped in a blu-ray then the 900B in cinema mode with the 4k reality settings was awesome. Sony (Canada) was super fast in getting it to me and didn't question anything so can't complain.
post #4523 of 4527 Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjac View Post
So the 900B Sony offered me was delivered. Looks new, manufactured May 2014 Mexico. Is there any way to check if it's a refurb? Service menu entry of some kind?
You'll want to stay out of the service menu unless you have advanced TV troubleshooting skills; it's easy to muck things up there unless you're careful and know what you're doing.

OTOH, you can use the self-check diagnostics screen to verify boot and error counts. For instructions on the self-check mode see my earlier post in this thread.

But, if you've thoroughly checked the unit out and it's functionally and cosmetically acceptable, what difference does it makes whether it's NIB or not? Just sit back and enjoy your new set!

BTW, did you get the full 18-month Sony limited warranty with it?

Quote:
Many thanks, you guys. Definitely will follow up as I anticipate my visit to the store tomorrow.
Care to provide us any feedback on your experience?
post #4524 of 4527 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was able to watch half the world cup games with the HX950 and the rest with the 900B. Using just the presets I'd say the HX950 is better at displaying the 1080i compressed signals from the cable co (to my completely untrained eye). When I popped in a blu-ray then the 900B in cinema mode with the 4k reality settings was awesome. Sony (Canada) was super fast in getting it to me and didn't question anything so can't complain.
Once you get the X900B properly calibrated, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the TRILUMINOS vs. HX950's OptiContrast panel, especially if you can view them side by side using non-UHD content.
post #4525 of 4527 Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Did they replace your 950 with the 900b? If so that sucks to loose FALD but you do gain 4k so it's a good trade off.
post #4526 of 4527 Old 07-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post
Warranty Question

Ouch, this really hurts me to read.

I had a single red line of dead pixels show up on my Pioneer Elite 60x5fd a week after I bought it. It was a panel failure, non-repairable.

I took it back to the place I bought it from and swapped it for the Sony 65HX950. Much better set anyway, IMO.

So I guess I'm paranoid this same thing is going to happen again to my Sony. I've already had it a year, but the thought scares me of this happening after the 18 month warranty runs out.

Good luck on getting a replacement, and I would definitely push for a 4K XBR, if nothing else.
post #4527 of 4527 Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I will pose this question here...and perhaps I can get an "unjaded" answer

I posted this in the Sharp elite thread as well

I have the opportunity to buy two display LED's....at a electronics retailer...both look to be functionally fine with no scratches or scuffs

Sharp Elite..60"....$1350.00.....no remote and no glasses

Sony 65" HX950..$1490.00....comes with remote

both would have full manufacturer warranty from the day I purchased ..I already called Sharp and Sony to verify this

price per inch the Sharp is less
the biggest deal on the Sony is that is is 5" larger..has the gorilla glass and has a more flat pane of glass look

The Sharp...to my eyes...has a little better off angle viewing and the rep at Sharp told me just about any Sharp remote will control the Elite. I assume they are like Samsung and have not changed remote codes in many years

This would be hung over a fireplace where a few year old 58" plasma is hanging now and will be for casual viewing

My more critical viewing/movie watching is done in a media room with my Samsung F8500 plasma

thoughts on which one to grab?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system

Last edited by turnne1; Today at 09:52 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page