Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4561 of 4589 Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmtl View Post
Thanks for your input as i'm confused as per the reviews and the online specs that are the closest to my hx950?
I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 3 sets

XbrX850b
W950b not recommended as per panel comparison that doesn't come close to performance of blacks like my TV now
XbrX900b

If I paid 3000+ for my set less than 2 years ago and i've sent the invoice, would they try to give me a comparatively priced set? I really dont want to settle as i'm really spoiled with the one I have.

This may be a turning point with sony and me if I don't get a comparable set as they will lose me as a customer for sure.
The key question, in terms of fairness, is what constitutes a comparable set. And that depends on your criteria. Is it MSRP? Feature set? Objectively measurable PQ?

Assuming there is no available inventory of 55HX950's, any replacement is going to differ in some way from the original set. The biggest problem for you, as I see it, is that Sony has pushed their full-array local dimming technology (currently dubbed X-tended Dynamic Range PRO) up to their X950b series, which is only available in 85" or 65" panels starting at $7K MSRP.

I think you have to decide what is most important to you and negotiate from that standpoint. I would suggest that you emphasize that you don't care about 4K (even if this is not entirely true, your current set is not 4K so it's not a feature you could fairly insist on) but rather want a set with comparable PQ. Since you will presumably be forced to forgo FALD, you could push for a bigger screen size or justify a replacement set with a higher MSRP. (IIRC, the 55HX950's MSRP was originally $3500 before being reduced to $3000.)

Whatever you do, be polite and patient--but firm. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4589 Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacGuy83 View Post
Excellent points. Given your defective XBR is less than 2 years old and its originally price you paid is close to the price of the current 900B, I'd push them hard for this set as your replacement. I'd want XBR for XBR, especially with the current online sales price for the 900B being less than what you paid for your set 2 years ago.

Best luck. Post how it comes out.
Exactly ..an XBR for and XBR. My 3000k price tag and less than two years is crazy. I'm still waiting after 3 days after I sent all the required documents .I just want what is fair and not what is assumed to be fair and settling.
It seems that only the X900B reaches the level of quality of my HX950 , and i bought it for the PQ .
post #4563 of 4589 Old 11-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly ..an XBR for and XBR. My 3000k price tag and less than two years is crazy. I'm still waiting after 3 days after I sent all the required documents .I just want what is fair and not what is assumed to be fair and settling.
It seems that only the X900B reaches the level of quality of my HX950 , and i bought it for the PQ .
I was just thinking, should I wait for 2015 models to get a warranty replacement until 2017?
post #4564 of 4589 Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got prompted for an update today, no mention of it that I can find so far on Sony's site though. I'm now on PKG2.110AAA. Anyone know anything about this?
post #4565 of 4589 Old 11-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinx View Post
Just got prompted for an update today, no mention of it that I can find so far on Sony's site though. I'm now on PKG2.110AAA. Anyone know anything about this?
I just updated myself, although useless as it won't fix the horizontal line defect on my hx950.
post #4566 of 4589 Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember the last time I had an update for the TV, looks like the auto download was turned off. Downloading the new update now.
post #4567 of 4589 Old 11-07-2014, 07:32 AM
THX

Liked: 12
This is the first update that I've received since receiving the TV over several years ago. I believe there was one update beyond the factory installed firmware, but that's it.

I'd be curious if someone knows what this update fixes.
post #4568 of 4589 Old 11-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been getting the "new software update on my set when I turn it on over the last few days, too.. I have just been ignoring it by shutting off the set and then turning it on again.. I just assumed to leave it it alone until someone can explain if the update is something which is good for us the consumer or just for Sony to get marketing points... Garloo
post #4569 of 4589 Old 11-07-2014, 05:11 PM
THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post
I have been getting the "new software update on my set when I turn it on over the last few days, too.. I have just been ignoring it by shutting off the set and then turning it on again.. I just assumed to leave it it alone until someone can explain if the update is something which is good for us the consumer or just for Sony to get marketing points... Garloo
I installed it last night and there are no issues/no errors. I don't see any changes. I imagine it was some sort of security update that affected some non-descript app somewhere in the TV.
post #4570 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question to Owners here:

Should I buy a 65hx950 for a little over $2K or do you think I should wait for a full-array Sony 4k TV to be in a decent price range?
post #4571 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 01:09 PM

SONY has offered me an XBR X850B to replace my defective XBR HX950, is this a good and comparable replacement offer in terms of PQ and features etc ?

any opinions ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jrmtl; 11-11-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #4572 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
SONY has offered me an XBR X850B to replace my defective XBR HX950, is this a good and comparable replacement offer in terms of PQ and features etc ?

any opinions ?

Thanks in advance
When my 55” 950 developed the dreaded line, they initially sent me an edge lit set that wasn’t an XBR. I was on the phone for a couple hours negotiating for the 900 model, but I decided I’d take the 850 if they offered it. I don't think it has local dimming, but 4K and an XBR model is about the best I'd expect. So, yeah, I guess I'd take it.
post #4573 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
When my 55” 950 developed the dreaded line, they initially sent me an edge lit set that wasn’t an XBR. I was on the phone for a couple hours negotiating for the 900 model, but I decided I’d take the 850 if they offered it. I don't think it has local dimming, but 4K and an XBR model is about the best I'd expect. So, yeah, I guess I'd take it.
So just take the offer on the 850B as they may not go any higher for the 900B? It looks like the X900B is the local dimming set available now ...

I'm very picky with PQ and motionflow and would be dissappointed if the set is any less than my hx950 ( LD and motion960)
post #4574 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
So just take the offer on the 850B as they may not go any higher for the 900B? It looks like the X900B is the local dimming set available now ...

I'm very picky with PQ and motionflow and would be dissappointed if the set is any less than my hx950 ( LD and motion960)

On the edge lit set they sent me, my biggest disappointment was the black levels. It was a fine set and the black levels would have been great if I hadn’t had the local dimming 950 for a year. I actually think 4k on a 55”set is a waste of pixels and would much rather have the old local dimming set. We’rekind of stuck in the middle ground of having 1080P local dimming sets, so there isn’t a new comparable model. Like I said, I was trying to at least get an XBR unit and my pleading to several levels of customer service lead to them sending me a 65” XBR 950. This was about a year ago, so I’m sure they are all out of that one too. At least they are offering an XBR. I haven't read up on this year's XBR 850 so it's probably better than the last one I looked at.

Last edited by Dave A.; 11-11-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #4575 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
On the edge lit set they sent me, my biggest disappointment was the black levels. It was a fine set and the black levels would have been great if I hadn’t had the local dimming 950 for a year. I actually think 4k on a 55”set is a waste of pixels and would much rather have the old local dimming set. We’rekind of stuck in the middle ground of having 1080P local dimming sets, so there isn’t a new comparable model. Like I said, I was trying to at least get an XBR unit and my pleading to several levels of customer service lead to themsending me a 65” XBR 950. This was about a year ago, so I’m sure they are allout of that one too. At least they are offering an XBR. I haven't read up on this years XBR 850 so it's probably better than what I saw.

I just got off with SONY now and with a casual discussion they are putting in a request for another offer for the X900B of which I told them ( mutual agreement ) has the local dimming, active 3D and motionflow features of my present XBR. The rep told me I would see a difference between framce dimming and local dimming and that's what I'm afraid of as I've been spoiled with my present set

We'll see what they say but it's worth debating
post #4576 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I just got off with SONY now and with a casual discussion they are putting in a request for another offer for the X900B of which I told them ( mutual agreement ) has the local dimming, active 3D and motionflow features of my present XBR. The rep told me I would see a difference between framce dimming and local dimming and that's what I'm afraid of as I've been spoiled with my present set

Yeah, hold out for that X900B if it's possible. I took a quick look on Amazon and the X900B is about the same price I paid for the 950 a couple years ago. When we were discussing my replacement set last year the XBR 4K set was way more expensive.

A guy on here gave me advice that I took: Be polite but firm with Sony and it'll go better. I ended up with a much better set by following his advice.
post #4577 of 4589 Old 11-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, hold out for that X900B if it's possible. I took a quick look on Amazon and the X900B is about the same price I paid for the 950 a couple years ago. When we were discussing my replacement set last year the XBR 4K set was way more expensive.

A guy on here gave me advice that I took: Be polite but firm with Sony and it'll go better. I ended up with a much better set by following his advice.
Not sure if what i said was "firm" but I was polite for sure
I told them that those 3 features must be the same and I would notice the difference and he agreed . He saw that I was a videophile by our conversation and therefore noted that

I don' t even mind the speakers on side as long as the picture technology and panel features are the same
post #4578 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of the current Sony models only the X950B's (starting at $7K MSRP) have FALD, so you're going to have to concede this feature in a replacement set. That means IMHO that PQ, however excellent, will not be comparable to your HX950 in all regards.

As I stated in my last post, you have to decide what features matter most to you. For example, if it's the highest Motionflow setting (which I would not use myself), then you'll want to hold out for the X900B. If it's screen size, then you could make a very good case for the 65-inch XBR-65X850B (identical MSRP and very similar features to the X900B aside from Motionflow). Of the current models, that would be the one I would shoot for assuming you have the room for it. As a long-time XBR purchaser (20+ years) I am also finicky about PQ, but I feel that the increased screen real estate will make a more significant difference in the cinematic viewing experience than an incremental improvement in PQ or in the motion smoothing.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of some of the features of the 65X950B, 55X900B, and 55/65X850B. For a more thorough comparison go to the product support page and read the marketing specifications.
post #4579 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalBeast View Post
Question to Owners here:

Should I buy a 65hx950 for a little over $2K or do you think I should wait for a full-array Sony 4k TV to be in a decent price range?
IMHO 4K is irrelevant in a 65-inch screen. In order to detect a difference between HD and UHD for a given video source you would need to sit no more than 6 feet away from the screen. Additionally, there is not likely to be much 4K content available for several years. I'm not saying that UHD is irrelevant, but I would not consider it a significant factor at this stage. I think the FALD 65HX950's PQ is a much more important feature for viewing pleasure than the ability to upscale to 4K.

OTOH, if you consider $5K to be "a decent price" you might see the 65X950B--or its successor--become available at that price in the next year or two; I would be surprised if it went much lower than that NIB from an authorized reseller. I have no inside information but am just speculating based on many years of observing Sony's TV marketing.

I think the 65HX950 for about $2K is a good deal today assuming it is either NIB or in certifiably excellent unused condition with a valid Sony warranty. If it's used or from an unauthorized reseller you will want to perform due diligence before purchasing.
post #4580 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Of the current Sony models only the X950B's (starting at $7K MSRP) have FALD, so you're going to have to concede this feature in a replacement set. That means IMHO that PQ, however excellent, will not be comparable to your HX950 in all regards.

As I stated in my last post, you have to decide what features matter most to you. For example, if it's the highest Motionflow setting (which I would not use myself), then you'll want to hold out for the X900B. If it's screen size, then you could make a very good case for the 65-inch XBR-65X850B (identical MSRP and very similar features to the X900B aside from Motionflow). Of the current models, that would be the one I would shoot for assuming you have the room for it. As a long-time XBR purchaser (20+ years) I am also finicky about PQ, but I feel that the increased screen real estate will make a more significant difference in the cinematic viewing experience than an incremental improvement in PQ or in the motion smoothing.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of some of the features of the 65X950B, 55X900B, and 55/65X850B. For a more thorough comparison go to the product support page and read the marketing specifications.
Thanks for the advice and input ... I am more confused now and I will have to settle since and can never get the same PQ as my HX950.
I see that the X900B has local dimming and the X850B has frame dimming, is this close enough to my FALD HX950?
post #4581 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and input ... I am more confused now and I will have to settle since and can never get the same PQ as my HX950.
I see that the X900B has local dimming and the X850B has frame dimming, is this close enough to my FALD HX950?
Some of the confusion (your own and that of Sony's CSR's) could stem from the fact that the XBR-55X900B product page incorrectly lists FALD as one of its features in the Overview section. This is incorrect. Per its spec sheet, the X900B has "Dynamic Edge LED with XDR for 2x brightness range." As I've stated already, FALD (what Sony's marketers have currently dubbed "X-tended Dynamic Range PRO") has migrated up to the X950B series.

I don't know whether anyone has done a X900B/X850B side-by-side viewing comparison, but you could do a web search for it. Otherwise, your safest bet would be to proceed to the nearest retail store that has both the X900B and X850B in stock and do some comparison viewing. Your eyes (and possibly those of your family and friends) are the best judge of which set best suits your tastes.
post #4582 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
neither the x900b or the x850b have fald local dimming. they are both edge lit. the x900b does have the opticontrast display (i.e. frameless gorilla glass) and built-in side speakers. the x850b does not have the opticontrast display or the built-in speakers. both units support ultra high def.

the hx950 that you own has the fald local dimming and the opticontrast display. however, it does not have ultra high def and is limited to 1080p

the x950b is the only new 2014 sony tv that has fald local dimming. it also has the opticontrast display and is ultra high def.

the x950b is the closest "new" model match to your hx950 as far as PQ goes. however, due to the high list price, sony will not likely offer a straight replacement but may offer it a discount but crediting your hx950.

hope this helps...

Last edited by davidch; 11-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.
post #4583 of 4589 Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidch View Post
neither the x900b or the x850b have fald local dimming. they are both edge lit. the x900b does have the opticontrast display (i.e. frameless gorilla glass) and built-in side speakers. the x850b does not have the opticontrast display or the built-in speakers. both units support ultra high def.

the hx950 that you own has the fald local dimming and the opticontrast display. however, it does not have ultra high def and is limited to 1080p

the x950b is the only new 2014 sony tv that has fald local dimming. it also has the opticontrast display and is ultra high def.

the x950b is the closest "new" model match to your hx950 as far as PQ goes. however, due to the high list price, sony will not likely offer a straight replacement but may offer it a discount but crediting your hx950.

hope this helps...

Thank you very much for your help... indeed your advice will help and it's just unfortunate that in no way I will match the PQ of my HX950 with anything affordable in return.
Although the 850B and 900B are indeed VERY close to perfection on the market as long as I don't compare them together with my HX950 correct ?

Hopefully they can give me the 900B as it seems the closest
post #4584 of 4589 Old 11-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I'm at the point where a supervisor will call back as I cannot get them to send me the 900B in the offers.
They say that I would have to pay an extra 700$ for the 900B as the 850B was deemed the replacement set.

I was still polite but firm
I said that the 3 specs which are missing would take me back from my present flagship ... is there any negociation left ?

For 700$ they will lose me as a future buyer of there products
post #4585 of 4589 Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm at the point where a supervisor will call back as I cannot get them to send me the 900B in the offers.
They say that I would have to pay an extra 700$ for the 900B as the 850B was deemed the replacement set.

I was still polite but firm
I said that the 3 specs which are missing would take me back from my present flagship ... is there any negociation left ?

For 700$ they will lose me as a future buyer of there products

Well, getting to the supervisor is what you want to happen. It took me a couple hours to get where you are now. How much did you pay for your 950? I had paid $3200 for my 950 and they sent me a $2000 set that wasn't an XBR. I brought up the unacceptable price difference to the supervisor and that I didn't want anything more than what I had coming to me. They tried their best to make me happy, so don't give up hope.
post #4586 of 4589 Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well, getting to the supervisor is what you want to happen. It took me a couple hours to get where you are now. How much did you pay for your 950? I had paid $3200 for my 950 and they sent me a $2000 set that wasn't an XBR. I brought up the unacceptable price difference to the supervisor and that I didn't want anything more than what I had coming to me. They tried their best to make me happy, so don't give up hope.
I paid my set a bit over 3000$ and the replacement they are offering is now 2200$ . Now that's one of my grips and they say the offer should not be relating to the price but the spec sheet.
I would even be willing to meet half way on their 700$ to get the 900B.

The 900B is closer than the 850B in terms of cost.

Any chances ?

Last edited by jrmtl; 11-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.
post #4587 of 4589 Old 11-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I paid my set a bit over 3000$ and the replacement they are offering is now 2200$ . Now that's one of my grips and they say the offer should not be relating to the price but the spec sheet.
I would even be willing to meet half way on their 700$ to get the 900B.

Any chances ?

Depends on the supervisor, I suppose. The people you talk to initially have no authority to upgrade you. Just explain why you bought the 950 and the price you paid. They weren't even offering me an XBR or a 4k set at first, so you are ahead of me there.

We're stuck in the middle of having a FALD 1080P set, so they may assume that the 4K XBR is a suitable trade off. It's hard to argue...Putting myself in your shoes, though, the price would be a big sticking point for me. We paid a premium for a $3000 set so paying $700 more for a set that is the same price is not cool. I'd ask nicely for the 900B or a 65" 850B.
post #4588 of 4589 Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Depends on the supervisor, I suppose. The people you talk to initially have no authority to upgrade you. Just explain why you bought the 950 and the price you paid. They weren't even offering me an XBR or a 4k set at first, so you are ahead of me there.

We're stuck in the middle of having a FALD 1080P set, so they may assume that the 4K XBR is a suitable trade off. It's hard to argue...Putting myself in your shoes, though, the price would be a big sticking point for me. We paid a premium for a $3000 set so paying $700 more for a set that is the same price is not cool. I'd ask nicely for the 900B or a 65" 850B.
Ok thanks for the input , but for sure I will not dish out 700$ + tax as they quoted for a "supposed" upgrade. So far SONY has been nice in all the communications. I would like to see how much they want to keep me as a customer over a couple of hundred $. I do have proof of the items I bought over the past years,
We'll see how it goes but a bigger TV can be interesting , are the reviews good on the 65" 850B ?
I see some of the sets being discounted now
55" 850B = 2200
65" 850B = 3200
55" 900B = 3500
post #4589 of 4589 Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM

The counter offer was made by the supervisor and he dropped the upgrade price froom 700$ to 600 and added an extra year of warranty to the 900B. Is this reasonable ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page