Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 4597 Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post
Dave: What is this dreaded line?
My 55" set developed a line of dead pixels that went across the entire screen. About a year ago there were several cases of the problem in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4597 Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 PM
THX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received a second firmware update notice in as many weeks. I went ahead and installed the update.

Again, no noticeable differences in anything at all...
post #4593 of 4597 Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So i just bought a 65HX950 and I also own a 46HX850 and minus the added bonus of size I must say I'm not sure if it's much better...? It's better and definitely more uniform than the 850, but is it worth $2600 and better than the current edge lit 65X850B (currently valued around $2400)? That is where I am having the issue almost justifying the price. Or maybe I am just slightly buying into the 4K hype at the moment...

Also, I tired the settings Flavius provided and it seemed to be decent, but something seemed off and almost to artificial like. Then I tired sound and visions settings/cnet/and a few other review blogs and they were very similar but very dull and almost washed out. Does anyone have a link to what seemed to be the preferred settings for this TV?

Edit: Happy to say no banding from what I can tell,I tested with some solid colors and gradients, also no dead pixels

Another thing is the black bars for widescreen movies don't seem to be pitch black as i expected. Am I missing something in the settings or do they just not get that black/dark?

Last edited by OriginalBeast; 12-04-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added information
post #4594 of 4597 Old 12-05-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalBeast View Post
So i just bought a 65HX950 and I also own a 46HX850 and minus the added bonus of size I must say I'm not sure if it's much better...? It's better and definitely more uniform than the 850, but is it worth $2600 and better than the current edge lit 65X850B (currently valued around $2400)? That is where I am having the issue almost justifying the price. Or maybe I am just slightly buying into the 4K hype at the moment...

Also, I tired the settings Flavius provided and it seemed to be decent, but something seemed off and almost to artificial like. Then I tired sound and visions settings/cnet/and a few other review blogs and they were very similar but very dull and almost washed out. Does anyone have a link to what seemed to be the preferred settings for this TV?

Edit: Happy to say no banding from what I can tell,I tested with some solid colors and gradients, also no dead pixels

Another thing is the black bars for widescreen movies don't seem to be pitch black as i expected. Am I missing something in the settings or do they just not get that black/dark?
There is no such thing as the universally preferred settings; besides individual tastes, there are many other factors peculiar to any given set and viewing environment that will determine the objectively optimal settings, such as ambient lighting, viewing distance, source material, and slight variances from panel to panel. Specific recommended settings for a given model should only be used as a baseline from which to fine-tune your own set.

I suggest that you find a baseline recommendation that you like (e.g., Cnet) and then get a good calibration disk, such as the Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition and dial in the settings that work best for your own viewing preferences.

As far as differences between the 46HX850 and 65HX950, I think you are correct in observing that they are relatively minimal. The brunt of the price difference is involved in the added panel real estate and the full-array LED backlighting. But both sets utilize the same video processor and offer similar features. In short, they are both excellent sets with outstanding PQ. As for the 4K advantage in the newer sets, you are not likely to see any difference over 2K in a 65" panel unless you sit within six feet of the TV.
post #4595 of 4597 Old 12-06-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

See your PM

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #4596 of 4597 Old Today, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post
See your PM
Hey Rizz,

Thanks for the settings! However they did not work out for me in the end. The settings ended up giving my screen a very hazy look and feel and whites were just not white. I ended up with a mix of Flavius' settings and then change them to my liking. I went with "warm 1" as warm two I could not figure out a way to get rid of the haziness of the setting.

Again thank you for your help and I am truly enjoying my set now with no tweaking involved

-Beast

I would've sent this in a PM, but I don't have enough posts for to PM and I wanted to make sure you knew I received your PM.
post #4597 of 4597 Old Today, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Hey Rizz,

Thanks for the settings! However they did not work out for me in the end. The settings ended up giving my screen a very hazy look and feel and whites were just not white. I ended up with a mix of Flavius' settings and then change them to my liking. I went with "warm 1" as warm two I could not figure out a way to get rid of the haziness of the setting.

Again thank you for your help and I am truly enjoying my set now with no tweaking involved

-Beast

I would've sent this in a PM, but I don't have enough posts for to PM and I wanted to make sure you knew I received your PM.
Here is a shot of my panel

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread