Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #4681 of 4692 Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I purchased two HX 950's in April 2003. One of them developed horizontal lines last April and I replaced it with an EF9500 through the dealer. I purchased an extended warranty for ONE TV when I bought them both with the option to use it for either one.

Now the other display has a faint horizontal line. Already phoned Sony and sent them the required pics. Based on what I've read in the Sony forums, NONE of the replacement options are desirable, but most of those posts are pretty old. Waiting to hear back from Sony...
I managed to negotiate an upgrade to the XBR-75X940D. I wouldn't accept a edge lit model. Had to pay some however they gave me $2000 off the current price. If you can fit the size I would highly recommend asking them about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4692 Old 02-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post
I managed to negotiate an upgrade to the XBR-75X940D. I wouldn't accept a edge lit model. Had to pay some however they gave me $2000 off the current price. If you can fit the size I would highly recommend asking them about it!
Frankly I was hoping one of the options would be a check so I could purchase a different brand. I haven't had time to do much research but none of the current Sony lineup intrigues me.

They tried to offer an edge lit XBR55X850C and I refused. My incident was escalated to another department and was offered to choose ANY Sony model and the discount would depend on which model I choose. I pleaded repeatedly for some sort of check reimbursment but they wouldn't budge.

I'm wondering if I should just take the original offer of the XBR55X850C and try to sell it at a discount if the warranty is transferable. After this fiasco, I don't want another Sony display hanging on my wall.
steve1971 likes this.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
post #4683 of 4692 Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Frankly I was hoping one of the options would be a check so I could purchase a different brand. I haven't had time to do much research but none of the current Sony lineup intrigues me.

They tried to offer an edge lit XBR55X850C and I refused. My incident was escalated to another department and was offered to choose ANY Sony model and the discount would depend on which model I choose. I pleaded repeatedly for some sort of check reimbursment but they wouldn't budge.

I'm wondering if I should just take the original offer of the XBR55X850C and try to sell it at a discount if the warranty is transferable. After this fiasco, I don't want another Sony display hanging on my wall.
Check out my post on the prior page. I just got an XBR55X930D as a replacement at no cost. TV just arrived on Tuesday. I didn't even have to argue with them...it was the first thing they offered. I, like you, was going to ask for a check if they offered anything other than the 930D, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I still think I'm going to be rid of Sony the next time I purchase a TV set. The way they've handled this extended warranty program (offering upper-mid tier TVs worth ~$1200 to replace a top-of-the-line, ~$3,000 TV) is unacceptable. So even though I'm getting a "free" replacement out of this, reading everything I have about how difficult it was to get a worthy replacement has soured me on the brand. I'm hoping that when I'm ready to upgrade in a few years, some breakthroughs have been made with OLED from a company like LG or Samsung.

post #4684 of 4692 Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Simple truth is, if you read up on the newest TVs Sony is still a top 3 option. I still have my XBR65-950D and is still as sharp as the day I first turned it on. I have been chomping at the bit for a 4K ultra HDR TV so I have read up on all of them. Of course the top in most eyesare the LGs OLEDs but you will pay through the nose for them and the difference between the top 3-4 is not that noticeable. Next depending on who you talk to would be the Sony XBR 75-940D or the SAMSUNG 9800! The Sony 75 940D is the only model that is still Full Array with Local dimming. However Sony has introduced this model year another line of Full Array TVs that is an upscale model and very expensive. The reviews all seem to be great, however I would opt for the 75" 940D before a 65" or the new line that cost about the same. Samsung has a complete bitter taste in my mouth. Before my 950D I had a Sammy and they replaced the panel within 2 months and then the TV 2 more times after that. They had a serious clouding and pixel issue they were aware of. So they finally gave me credit and I ponied up the difference to purchase my XBR65-950D that originally listed for $6000!!! Since it was being closed out I was able to get it for $4000 and never looked back that was about 7 years ago and still going strong. Every time I think about stepping up to 4K I need only turn on my 65" Sony. I could not buy anything I thought was a DOWNGRADE. So my only Sony option would be the 75 940D. However until there is more meaningful 4K content I will stand pat. Besides I purchased a 55" Hisense 4K TV for my bedroom that has a truly awesome picture for only $379 during Black Friday week! It was such a great deal and quality for the money I bought my Brother in law a 50" Hisense 4K for Christmas for a mere $299!!! For the quality these were a no brainer. On the top TVs their is the Bargain model ot there that is rated as a top choice and that is the Vizio that all have Full Array LEDS! Top 3 LG OLED, SONY 75 940D, and Samsung 9800 with the Vizio a close fourth and if price was included would jump to #1
post #4685 of 4692 Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:

Trust me I went down this very same road you went with Sony and after all the B.S my wife and I had to go through I will never have another Sony product in my home, ever! And this is coming from a once proud Sony loyalist who backed them at every turn. Not anymore so I understand where your coming from!
post #4686 of 4692 Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeeb View Post
My 55HX950 just developed the dreaded horizontal line. I was hoping it didn't happened to my set, but it finally did. I just talked to Sony Mexico and confirmed the guarantee is still available. I hope to get a good deal.
They gave me a XBR55X850D.
post #4687 of 4692 Old 02-06-2017, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my TV just developed the dreaded line issue. Currently, it's only a single line about 5" from the bottom. It's not totally dead, but it's a different color than what should be displayed. 95% of the time, you can hardly notice it. In bright scenes or with solid colors, it's very noticeable.

I'm aware that this will get progressively worse and that it's a panel issue and not worth fixing. I have the receipt and the TV was purchased in 10/12. I know that Sony is aware of the issue and has a program that is offering replacements until Sept 30 '17.

My question is, do you think there is any advantage in waiting to get a replacement? I'd really like to upgrade to a 65" or maybe a '17 model. What kind of deals are they offering? Do you have options?
post #4688 of 4692 Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Depends what you're willing to accept. I wouldn't accept an edge-lit model. Upgraded to the X940D.
post #4689 of 4692 Old 02-10-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Thanks for all of your back and forth haggling. Because I had been waiting til 2017 to get my warranty replacement, and I expected a huge fight based on what I read online. But they offered me the 930D (which I wasn't prepared to accept anything less) so it was easy. Obviously this is because they have the new 2017 models coming out (the 930E seems like a proper replacement model) and the 2015 models are going away, but I'm still happy I didn't have to go through too much trouble.

And like you, my lines just kept getting worse and worse. I noticed it over a year and a half ago, but I held out because the TV is otherwise great, and because I wanted a replacement with HDR. I wish I could have held out a little longer until the 2017 models were in full production, but I got impatient. I have about 15-20 horizontal lines that show up now.
I was willing to wait to get a decent replacement but when they finally offered the 930D, I took it. Happy to see you got an acceptable replacement as well.
post #4690 of 4692 Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post
I was willing to wait to get a decent replacement but when they finally offered the 930D, I took it. Happy to see you got an acceptable replacement as well.
After them offering me plenty of 2014 refurbished models, they sent me a XBR-55X900E. I had to argue that the replacement needs to have full array dimming. It only tool one long phone call. I got new tv also, but it only has 90 day warranty.

I am happy.
post #4691 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko9999 View Post
After them offering me plenty of 2014 refurbished models, they sent me a XBR-55X900E. I had to argue that the replacement needs to have full array dimming. It only tool one long phone call. I got new tv also, but it only has 90 day warranty.

I am happy.
Did your replacement TV come in a retail box (white with a photo of the TV on it), or in a brown box with the words "Factory New TV" stamped on it?

Based on a post in the X930E forum, Sony apparently tries to send replacements in these shady looking brown boxes stating the TVs are new.
post #4692 of 4692 Old Today, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon4444 View Post
Did your replacement TV come in a retail box (white with a photo of the TV on it), or in a brown box with the words "Factory New TV" stamped on it?

Based on a post in the X930E forum, Sony apparently tries to send replacements in these shady looking brown boxes stating the TVs are new.
The TV came in the white retail box with full warranty. They wouldn't let me keep the box however because the HX950 had to be shipped back in it. I suppose that wouldn't be an issue if you had another box to ship the TV back in. The manufacture date on the TV is January 2017. It must have come right from the factory add I had received it at the beginning of Feb.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page