Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Browninggold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Depends on who's looking for me
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drenched View Post

even the box looks really pretty!...can't wait to hear impressions on the set...I'm tired of plasma's limited brightness and want to go LCD (full array, local dimming only) but only if it matches or exceeds the best plasma setlog

This is getting to be my favorite quote...maybe I should put it in my signature

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Browninggold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Member
 
hellotv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
two things i would love to know. i read this whole thread but cant find any reviews of the 3d except for the guy saying he saw some flaws with it. how has it changed from the 929 other than hd, which i thought the 929 already was hd... when i would turn my head not even a inch the 3d effect went away on the 929. could that be the glasses or was that a flaw with the 929?

the gamer guy that returned the 929, could u please let me know abt the input lag on this new set. i just went back to playing on my 26in samsung and the diff is insane. i change some playstation resolution settings which helped the lag, but still even with game mode on the 929 couldnt match the samsung.

does anyone think the 950 will be 2500 around the holidays or black friday?
hellotv is offline  
post #453 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Newbie
 
Genhis6400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The TV is great! I used the setting from: http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-bravia-xbr-55hx929-3d-led-lcd-hdtv-settings and adjust a few minor things here and there to my liking.I know that this setting is for the 929 but the 950 is very much like the 929. As far as 3D goes I used the Sony 750 3D glasses and the pictures are really great with no flickers. I mean none at all! If you're not watching 3d lying sideways then you're fine. This TV is very intuitive and is easy to use. Setting up is very easy and The imanual is very helpful.
mike50 likes this.
Genhis6400 is offline  
post #454 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

does anyone think the 950 will be 2500 around the holidays or black friday?

Hard to tell. I doubt it since it just came out. I'm assuming since the HX850 has already dropped in price that it will drop even more on black friday. Atleast that's what I'm hoping for.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #455 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Shazi00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the HX850 two weeks ago and it was able to work with my Sony VPL-HW30AES Projector Glasses which i believe have Model # TDG-PJ1 and the TV is also compatible with TDG-BR250 glasses that are about 50 or 60$.

So i am guessing the HX950 will be able to work with both like my HX850.
Shazi00 is offline  
post #456 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Shazi00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

doesn't the HX929 and HX950 use active 3D?...same as Panasonic, Samsung

Yes. It's active 3D. And the glasses work with the TV through IR. The TV has the built in IR Transmitter.
Shazi00 is offline  
post #457 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Shazi00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

vaxick, i do think the 929 does has some lag because im getting less kills than i was playing fps on a much smaller tv, however i dont think its much because of game mode. anyway ive heard that lag for tvs this size is going to happen no matter what u do. do u know any 55in sets that dont hv any lag? ive read a few things online that can be done to reduce it but pq will take a def hit. im going to try and change my ps3 settings and maybe not use hdmi cords when i play fps.

HUH !! I have a XBR8 and bough the HX850 (2 weeks ago..will exchange for HX950) and i have never noticed any kind of lag in gaming. I have both a 360 and PS3 but never had any issue and the Motion Flow is either turned off or at the lowest setting possible.
Shazi00 is offline  
post #458 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

i just went back to playing on my 26in samsung and the diff is insane. i change some playstation resolution settings which helped the lag, but still even with game mode on the 929 couldnt match the samsung.

Well, on the Samsung, did you have Game mode on? Was AMP on? Because I have played all my games for 4 years now on a Samsung A650 in Standard mode with AMP Enabled. Never bothered by the lag. But old posts in this forum state I am getting 50-60ms lag on the A650 in Standard mode BEFORE I turn on AMP. Hell knows what my lag is with it, but it doesn't bother me. Now the very trustworthy flatpanelshd.com in their review of the HX929 said it only has 30ms of lag with MotionFlow off. That sounds pretty good to me. Another review said 66ms, but didn't state if Game Mode or Motion Flow were on or off. Still, not too bad compared to what I am supposedly getting on my Samsung in Standard with AMP on. I plan to use the HX950 in Standard with MotionFlow on at first to see if the lag bothers me. I AM a hardcore gamer, but don't play military FPS online very much. Even if I did, if you factor in that almost no one plays on CRTs anymore, and the network lag that exists, etc., I don't think image lag ends up being that big a deal. Everyone will be laggy, except the obsessesed insane pro gamers that play on CRTs or something. And no one can compete with them even on an even playing field. So I don't lose sleep over it.
Flavius is offline  
post #459 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

two things i would love to know. i read this whole thread but cant find any reviews of the 3d except for the guy saying he saw some flaws with it. how has it changed from the 929 other than hd, which i thought the 929 already was hd... when i would turn my head not even a inch the 3d effect went away on the 929. could that be the glasses or was that a flaw with the 929?
the gamer guy that returned the 929, could u please let me know abt the input lag on this new set. i just went back to playing on my 26in samsung and the diff is insane. i change some playstation resolution settings which helped the lag, but still even with game mode on the 929 couldnt match the samsung.
does anyone think the 950 will be 2500 around the holidays or black friday?

Actually, I did review 3D earlier in the thread.
jmjunker is offline  
post #460 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Member
 
albani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Antalya/Turkey
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Almost all LCD panels has at normal/standard mode lag around 60/80ms!!or more with some off panels as well
well with "Game Mode" dicrease to min.30/35ms or more too!!

Tosh 46SV685&Tosh 42WL863

Panasonic BluRay BDT320EG&Toshiba BluRay BDX5400

albani is offline  
post #461 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
vaxick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by albani View Post

Almost all LCD panels has at normal/standard mode lag around 60/80ms!!or more with some off panels as well
well with "Game Mode" dicrease to min.30/35ms or more too!!

There really isn't a point trying to sell this tv as one for gamers. The 929 was too laggy in game mode and considering how similar this set is, its probably too laggy as well. The highest end tv from Sony that will worn for gamers is the HX850.
vaxick is offline  
post #462 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drenched View Post

even the box looks really pretty!...can't wait to hear impressions on the set...I'm tired of plasma's limited brightness and want to go LCD (full array, local dimming only) but only if it matches or exceeds the best plasma setlog

It will be brighter than the best plasa set, almost twice as bright, and brighter than most LCDs, too.

If you mean the picture quality matches or exceeds the best plasma set, then you'll be taking it back. You have to compromise on something if you want that much brightness.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #463 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

There really isn't a point trying to sell this tv as one for gamers. The 929 was too laggy in game mode and considering how similar this set is, its probably too laggy as well. The highest end tv from Sony that will worn for gamers is the HX850.

FlatpanelsHD, who do a lot of excellent in depth reviews, rated the HX850 at 28-32ms and the HX929 at 30ms for gaming. So I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. I'm a gamer as well and I'm getting the HX950. If Sony can't make a low lag TV, being the only TV maker with products in the gaming market, then who the hell do you think can? Name one TV maker with low lag TVs for gamers currently on the market. There are none. It's POT LUCK. Give me a break. Albani above is just about spot on in his assessment. Then again, there are gamers, and then there are clueless arrogant online FPS fanatics. Which are you?

In the end, its a losing battle. I have a Samsung LCD for '08 that I don't think has bad input lag. I've used it for years in Standard mode, not Game mode, where the picture quality is worse than horrible. Turns out its supposed to have 60ms lag in Standard mode. Not only that, but I game with Auto Motion Plus on Low, because there is just way too much judder in my games with it off. That might add even more lag. So I plan to use my HX950 in games with MotionFlow on, and probably not even in Game mode, unless it actually looks decent. I'm sure if I DID use Game mode that turns off local dimming and MotionFlow, I'd probably get less lag. But unless it is severely noticeable, I'd rather take the increase in PQ. With most quality games becoming more like interactive movies lately, lag is hardly a big issue unless you're an ultra competitive online FPSer.

My real concern lag-wise would be between the ES8000 Samsung, and the HX950: which has less lag in Standard mode with motion interpolation on, and which has less lag with Game mode on? But trying to compare a modern high end LED to a CRT or some rinky dink ancient 26" LCD (which probably has one of those awful TN panels) in terms of lag is just ridiculous, because such TVs are not viable alternatives for anyone who can afford better.
Flavius is offline  
post #464 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Member
 
scott128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if it's correct information, but on another forum in Australia, a guy said a Sony rep told him the 950 panel is 4k ready via a firmware and service update. Has anyone else heard this? I will ask when I go see the 950 at my local Sony store soon.

From the post:

"here is the kicker
Panel is 4k ready supposedly (now this is just wat the bloke told me ) via a firmware and service update quite possible the toshiba teles can display 4k with just a software update so i find this intresting"


http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1984690
scott128 is offline  
post #465 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Settings path for Full Pixel mode is shown in my XBR Settings file at:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430346/sony-xbr-hx950-owners-thread-xbr-55hx9-50-and-xbr-65hx95-0/200_100#post_22441778

smile.gif
mike50 likes this.
jmjunker is offline  
post #466 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 269
the xbr8/hx909 have 30ms lag, hx929 seems to have 30ms so it would be a big surprise if hx950 go's
beyond 30ms.


Killzone 2 HX903 (=european HX909
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1201840-sony-bravia-hx900-03-intelligent-dynamic-led-l-d-34.html
8mile13 is offline  
post #467 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Haters gonna hate Flavius!

First, it was too expensive, then it has moved on to: having too few zones, then it was the stand, then it was halo effect, then it was native brightness, 3D, then it was only a 929+, then vs. Elite, then vs. Plasma, then that the Elite doesn't cost $8000, then too much "lag time" for gaming. rolleyes.gif

The amount of tangential, broadly irrelevant, wrong, and, yes, sometimes even disingenuous information posted behind the cloak of internet anonymity is pretty remarkable . eek.gif

And keep in mind until yesterday there were only a couple members with a 950, virtually no one has actually seen one yet, and a single 65" has yet to be delivered (just became available at SonyStyle last night). tongue.gif

Jagger said it best. "I can't get no satisfaction!"

Looking forward to hearing about the 65". You get a ship notification yet?
jmjunker is offline  
post #468 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gorthocar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

I'd definitely recommend the Ti glasses for 3D wink.gif
I mostly agree. I just received my Ti glasses the other day. The fit and weight of them is much better than the TDG-BR250 glasses. However, with the Ti glasses, the power-on LED that flashes every couple of seconds leaks into the lenses, which becomes very annoying in dark scenes. I've tried to better block out the light leakage at the center nose piece with some black electrical tape and it has reduced it, but not eliminated it. I wonder if it is safe to just drill out the power-on LED.
The Ti glasses have significantly less flicker than the BR250s. However, the color distorts rapidly if you tilt your head a little bit with either of them.
Oh, and I think this question came up a couple of pages ago: Yes, you can run Ti glasses and BR250 glasses at the same time; they don't all have to be the exact same model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazi00 View Post

HUH !! I have a XBR8 and bough the HX850 (2 weeks ago..will exchange for HX950) and i have never noticed any kind of lag in gaming. I have both a 360 and PS3 but never had any issue and the Motion Flow is either turned off or at the lowest setting possible.
I definitely feel more lagginess with the HX950 than my XBR8 unless I put the HX950 in gaming mode.

Bazinga!

gorthocar is offline  
post #469 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gorthocar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott128 View Post

Not sure if it's correct information, but on another forum in Australia, a guy said a Sony rep told him the 950 panel is 4k ready via a firmware and service update. Has anyone else heard this? I will ask when I go see the 950 at my local Sony store soon.
From the post:

"here is the kicker
Panel is 4k ready supposedly (now this is just wat the bloke told me ) via a firmware and service update quite possible the toshiba teles can display 4k with just a software update so i find this intresting"

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1984690
Uh, I call BS. If the panel had 4k pixels, Sony marketing would be all over it. There is a possibility that a firmware update could make the TV ready to accept a 4k signal which would then be down converted to 1920x1080 for final display, but a firmware update can't change the physical number of pixels on the panel. When I get close to the HX950, I can see the screen door grid of pixels, and it looks similar in size to other 1080p LCDs I've had. I'd notice if the pixel size was really 1/2 the size in the X and 1/2 the size in Y to make it a native 4k panel.
mike50 likes this.

Bazinga!

gorthocar is offline  
post #470 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Member
 
hellotv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

Haters gonna hate Flavius!
First, it was too expensive, then it has moved on to: having too few zones, then it was the stand, then it was halo effect, then it was native brightness, 3D, then it was only a 929+, then vs. Elite, then vs. Plasma, then that the Elite doesn't cost $8000, then too much "lag time" for gaming. rolleyes.gif
The amount of tangential, broadly irrelevant, wrong, and, yes, sometimes even disingenuous information posted behind the cloak of internet anonymity is pretty remarkable . eek.gif
And keep in mind until yesterday there were only a couple members with a 950, virtually no one has actually seen one yet, and a single 65" has yet to be delivered (just became available at SonyStyle last night). tongue.gif
Jagger said it best. "I can't get no satisfaction!"
Looking forward to hearing about the 65". You get a ship notification yet?

man im not trying to be a dick, but every single tv thread on this site has people that will not let anyone talk abt the set they just paid for. we need to talk abt these issues because sony isnt going to tell people ****. the tv isnt in local stores(well maybe now it is) so people want to know if this set fixed the issues from the 929. the 929 def has some issues for a 3000 tv. i hate to bring this up but elite 55 is no longer 1500 more than the 950, so whats wrong with people wanting to know if this set can come close to a elite.
hellotv is offline  
post #471 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would certainly expect most top of the line 2013 1080p TV models to accept 4k content cnd downscaled it to 1080p. The 720p HDTVs have always done the same thing with incoming 1080p or 1080i content they downscale it to their native 720p, Since there is no way to increase the number of pixels in a fixed pixel display screen.
walford is offline  
post #472 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Member
 
hellotv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I mostly agree. I just received my Ti glasses the other day. The fit and weight of them is much better than the TDG-BR250 glasses. However, with the Ti glasses, the power-on LED that flashes every couple of seconds leaks into the lenses, which becomes very annoying in dark scenes. I've tried to better block out the light leakage at the center nose piece with some black electrical tape and it has reduced it, but not eliminated it. I wonder if it is safe to just drill out the power-on LED.
The Ti glasses have significantly less flicker than the BR250s. However, the color distorts rapidly if you tilt your head a little bit with either of them.
Oh, and I think this question came up a couple of pages ago: Yes, you can run Ti glasses and BR250 glasses at the same time; they don't all have to be the exact same model.
I definitely feel more lagginess with the HX950 than my XBR8 unless I put the HX950 in gaming mode.

if you turn your head at all on the 929, the color on the 3d will distort. is that same with this set.?

this guy flavius doesnt play fps, so the lag will not be a problem. im telling you my lilltle 26 samsung that doesnt even have a game mode option blew the 929 away when it comes to lag on the game battlefield 3, which i play all the time on a ps3. from what i found online, guys that are really good at these fps games play on these rinky dik tv sets that hes talking so much crap abt. if i do get a 950, no way in hell on playing bf3 on it,. i will just play that on the samsung 26in.
hellotv is offline  
post #473 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Member
 
hellotv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
btw not to get off topic but to u guys that say 3d doesnt matter on this set. u need 3net on direct tv or buy some of these imax docs. i hated 3d because all i knew was the stupid big hw movies, which dont know how to make 3d look good. after seeing a bunch of imax docs, im sold. i watch the 3d channel everyday now and would love to know if the 950 fixed the 929 3d issues but it looks like sony lied again.
hellotv is offline  
post #474 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Mostly, because we have 200 posts on it. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a head-to-head comparison, whether pro or amateur, but there just isn't one yet, and so people are mostly talking out their asses.

And for all the talk I bet 1% of the posters are seriously considering an Elite - even if it is only $6-7k. Really?! That is one step less insane than someone buying the Sony 4k for $25,000. Lunacy! The XBR rocks, I don't know if it's the best or not, but it is still at a significantly better price point. Someone who is considering buying the Elite, please step-up and post the unbox video. Please please do it. I dare you. biggrin.gif
jmjunker is offline  
post #475 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

btw not to get off topic but to u guys that say 3d doesnt matter on this set. u need 3net on direct tv or buy some of these imax docs. i hated 3d because all i knew was the stupid big hw movies, which dont know how to make 3d look good. after seeing a bunch of imax docs, im sold. i watch the 3d channel everyday now and would love to know if the 950 fixed the 929 3d issues but it looks like sony lied again.

I MUST get DirectTV ASAP!!!! cool.gif Content baby, content! cool.gif
jmjunker is offline  
post #476 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Member
 
jmjunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

if you turn your head at all on the 929, the color on the 3d will distort. is that same with this set.?



You can tilt your head about 30˚ without it impacting anything. At about 30˚ the colors start to go off (with the Ti glasses). It's what polarized lenses are going to do.

Not sure why anyone would need to view 3D tilted more than that unless it involved some peyote-induced transcendental mind trip. No flicker either. smile.gif
mike50 likes this.
jmjunker is offline  
post #477 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gorthocar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

if you turn your head at all on the 929, the color on the 3d will distort. is that same with this set.?
Yes, it does, with both the Ti glasses (TDG-BR750) or the older gen TDG-BR250.

It has to be something with the glasses, and not the TV set, right? With the TV in 2D mode and the glasses off, you can hold the glasses in front of you and rotate them, and the light from the TV through the glasses changes from a light yellow (level), to rose, then purple, then blue, then aqua & green and back to light yellow at 180 degrees. Flipping the glasses backwards & rotating, they're blacked out (level) to clear when rotated 90 degrees. That puzzles me. I would have thought it would be some kind of technology that alternates between black and clear in sync with the left/right images so it wouldn't matter whether or not you keep your head perfectly level.

Bazinga!

gorthocar is offline  
post #478 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I mostly agree. I just received my Ti glasses the other day. The fit and weight of them is much better than the TDG-BR250 glasses. However, with the Ti glasses, the power-on LED that flashes every couple of seconds leaks into the lenses, which becomes very annoying in dark scenes. I've tried to better block out the light leakage at the center nose piece with some black electrical tape and it has reduced it, but not eliminated it. I wonder if it is safe to just drill out the power-on LED.
The Ti glasses have significantly less flicker than the BR250s. However, the color distorts rapidly if you tilt your head a little bit with either of them.
Oh, and I think this question came up a couple of pages ago: Yes, you can run Ti glasses and BR250 glasses at the same time; they don't all have to be the exact same model.
I definitely feel more lagginess with the HX950 than my XBR8 unless I put the HX950 in gaming mode.

Have you tried the Playstation 3D glasses? I honestly think they might be better than even the Ti glasses. I have a pair of each and will be comparing the two when I get the 65". The Playstation 3D glasses don't have that big thick black center piece, and any power LED is probably in a different spot (haven't turned them on yet). They also wrap around to eliminate side light. They are supposed to be very good compared to the 250 glasses, so its worth looking into unless you just want to wait for my report. smile.gif Have you ever tried a game on a Samsung in Standard mode with AMP on? Is the HX950 worse than that in non-Game modes?
Flavius is offline  
post #479 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

Yes, it does, with both the Ti glasses (TDG-BR750) or the older gen TDG-BR250.
It has to be something with the glasses, and not the TV set, right? With the TV in 2D mode and the glasses off, you can hold the glasses in front of you and rotate them, and the light from the TV through the glasses changes from a light yellow (level), to rose, then purple, then blue, then aqua & green and back to light yellow at 180 degrees. Flipping the glasses backwards & rotating, they're blacked out (level) to clear when rotated 90 degrees. That puzzles me. I would have thought it would be some kind of technology that alternates between black and clear in sync with the left/right images so it wouldn't matter whether or not you keep your head perfectly level.

Hmm, luckily we have a lot of choices in 3D glasses. There's the Playstation universal ones as I mentioned, but also the G5 Universal 3D glasses which are supposed to be pretty good and compatible (if you disregard the irrelevant Amazon review).
Flavius is offline  
post #480 of 4589 Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
vaxick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

FlatpanelsHD, who do a lot of excellent in depth reviews, rated the HX850 at 28-32ms and the HX929 at 30ms for gaming. So I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. I'm a gamer as well and I'm getting the HX950. If Sony can't make a low lag TV, being the only TV maker with products in the gaming market, then who the hell do you think can? Name one TV maker with low lag TVs for gamers currently on the market. There are none. It's POT LUCK. Give me a break. Albani above is just about spot on in his assessment. Then again, there are gamers, and then there are clueless arrogant online FPS fanatics. Which are you?
In the end, its a losing battle. I have a Samsung LCD for '08 that I don't think has bad input lag. I've used it for years in Standard mode, not Game mode, where the picture quality is worse than horrible. Turns out its supposed to have 60ms lag in Standard mode. Not only that, but I game with Auto Motion Plus on Low, because there is just way too much judder in my games with it off. That might add even more lag. So I plan to use my HX950 in games with MotionFlow on, and probably not even in Game mode, unless it actually looks decent. I'm sure if I DID use Game mode that turns off local dimming and MotionFlow, I'd probably get less lag. But unless it is severely noticeable, I'd rather take the increase in PQ. With most quality games becoming more like interactive movies lately, lag is hardly a big issue unless you're an ultra competitive online FPSer.
My real concern lag-wise would be between the ES8000 Samsung, and the HX950: which has less lag in Standard mode with motion interpolation on, and which has less lag with Game mode on? But trying to compare a modern high end LED to a CRT or some rinky dink ancient 26" LCD (which probably has one of those awful TN panels) in terms of lag is just ridiculous, because such TVs are not viable alternatives for anyone who can afford better.

Naming fast gaming TV's is simple. In the LCD realm, the budget displays have always netted better performance than more expensive displays. Less processes going on the television translates into better performance. Your frame of reference for input lag will be completely different from mine. I game on a HD CRT. This is my basis for comparison. Some people are also more sensitive to lag than others. This has been proven many times over.

My personal experience with the 929 was disappointing for gaming. I felt lag and when I played the same game on another display, my assumptions were confirmed. It's my opinion. I'm not a casual gamer. I'm a hardcore gamer. I own over 100 games for the PS3 alone. I also collect retro video games. It's my hobby. This is why I place gaming as a higher importance than movie/television viewing.
EddieDigital likes this.
vaxick is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off