Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Maybe you guys are trying too hard to find issues...

Watched Prometheus on Blu-Ray 3D last night with a friend and we both had a great experience.

I'd like to play with the settings more, but MotionFlow can be set: off, smooth, and standard. Standard looked great, and I think it flickered slightly when it was off, but I'll need to double-check. Will probably start a 3rd column on my spreadsheet for 3D settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I don't see what's so special about soccer unless we're not talking about the same effect. The banding I'm talking about is visible on all white static screen, and it is static, it does not change. It is not affected at all by movement. You would simply notice it more with fast movement in bright scenes. Which is why I thought it was DSE at first. I thought banding was a different phenomena caused by poor motion handling in conjunction with edge lit models. Now I don't know what to think anymore.

Flavius you are correct. The banding is static, but when certain motion scenes are introduced like golf balls flying in the sky shots, or players running on a soccer field they become more noticeable. Severe banding can be seen in all video sources. Some sets can have mild banding that can not be detected under normal viewing conditions. Hope this helps a bit.
post #633 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Soccer........when the Camera moves left/right in total view of the field...........with a lot of green........you can see a lot of mild grey stripes from top to buttom
post #634 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Just got off the phone with Samsung Support. The return and refund for the 65ES8000 is official and processed. Placing my order for the 65HX950 this afternoon. Here goes nothin...cool.gif

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #635 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post

Just got off the phone with Samsung Support. The return and refund for the 65ES8000 is official and processed. Placing my order for the 65HX950 this afternoon. Here goes nothin...cool.gif

Congrats! wink.gif
post #636 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjunker View Post

Congrats! wink.gif

Spoken like a true Sony Whore, welcome to the club.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #637 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I have the same offer on the table for a refund or replacement. Please keep me posted.
post #638 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys. Just made my order. Now it's a waiting game. Hopefully I get mine early like Flavius. Feeling pretty good about this beast!

@op's guy: I will definitely keep you posted, buddy. If the panel looks as good as flavius's, i will be one happy SOB.

post #639 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have a D8000 60" and a D6200 55" Samsungs from last year and they have a sheetload of DSE, especially when viewing On-Demand Movies whereas my 6 yr old 57" Sharp NEVER had DSE or Banding.

My Sony Z5100 46" now 2-3 yrs old I find to have a better PQ than my Samsungs as I often compare them and am more impressed with the Sony hands down versus my Samsung TV's - the Samsung is a cool design but it fails to present WoW factor to me as my past Sharp and Sony SXRD did. The 65" Sony was not available to buy last yr when I got the Samsung so I have some buyers remorse since and have been hoping and waiting Sharp would get a second gen Elite out but who knows whats going on with them, they may transition to all smart phones/pad screen in the future.

I would concurr with another member that the Sharp 80" 632 series is perhaps one of the most trouble free widely acclaimed panels we've ever had on this forum or anywhere else where you read the feedback. It truly bugs me when I go into my wifes room and see her Sony as the colors and depth simply looks richer than my Samsung panels. Have to check out one of these 950's soon.smile.gif

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #640 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

Congrats and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #641 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

Better is to wait some month - lets say April next year - price will go down - I am sure.
And I will check the 75inch Samsung in some stores - and of course, there will be some volunteers with christmas-bonus in their pocket:)

I highly doubt that. Sony controlled the prices of the HX929 and the price remained $5499 for the 65" up until they were removed from stock. I guess that's their way of stopping people from waiting for a price drop.
post #642 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Will definitely post comparisons of the ES8000 and 65HX950 though next week, I owe you guys that much.

Hi Flavius,
I'm also looking forward to your comparison, ES8000 vs 65HX950.
When compairing, if you would, filter in the viewing angles of both units.

I spent quite a bit of time with the ES8000 and the ES9000. Blu-Ray Dark Knight, movie mode both sets. Tweaked both units as good as I could under the stores florescent lights.
What I found was both Samsung TV's PQ looked better off dead center. Dead center, sitting down, looking straight into the screens, both sets were too black, not enough contrast. Take two steps to the left or right and contrast was perfect. If I tweaked the sets for good contrast dead center, I'd loose inky black and colors would fade. Then moving left or right, one seating position, the set looked terrible. Yeah, whatsupwiththat! They have better contrast PQ not sitting in the sweet spot, but off center?

I spent just as much time with the 70" Sharp Elite and the 65HX929. Their straight on was excellent and off center viewing was very good for an led.

I was hoping this year the Elite v2 would come to market fixing the color and pulsing and Sony would fix the banding.

We don't know if the Elite v2 will come to market.
We don't know if the HX950 is just a rebadged HX929.
The ES9000 has the same viewing problem the ES8000 has. PQ is better not sitting directly in front of it.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #643 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. Just made my order. Now it's a waiting game. Hopefully I get mine early like Flavius. Feeling pretty good about this beast!
@op's guy: I will definitely keep you posted, buddy. If the panel looks as good as flavius's, i will be one happy SOB.

Thanks man. I PM'ed you
post #644 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Hi Flavius,
I'm also looking forward to your comparison, ES8000 vs 65HX950.
When compairing, if you would, filter in the viewing angles of both units.
I spent quite a bit of time with the ES8000 and the ES9000. Blu-Ray Dark Knight, movie mode both sets. Tweaked both units as good as I could under the stores florescent lights.
What I found was both Samsung TV's PQ looked better off dead center. Dead center, sitting down, looking straight into the screens, both sets were too black, not enough contrast. Take two steps to the left or right and contrast was perfect. If I tweaked the sets for good contrast dead center, I'd loose inky black and colors would fade. Then moving left or right, one seating position, the set looked terrible. Yeah, whatsupwiththat! They have better contrast PQ not sitting in the sweet spot, but off center?
I spent just as much time with the 70" Sharp Elite and the 65HX929. Their straight on was excellent and off center viewing was very good for an led.
I was hoping this year the Elite v2 would come to market fixing the color and pulsing and Sony would fix the banding.
We don't know if the Elite v2 will come to market.
We don't know if the HX950 is just a rebadged HX929.
The ES9000 has the same viewing problem the ES8000 has. PQ is better not sitting directly in front of it.

Ok, here's the thing, Samsung has had this problem with off center contrast shift and things being "too dark" in the center of the screen for about 4 years now. My old A650 has this problem too. It's the PVA panels they use. Upset to hear ES8000 still has it. Surprised to hear HX929 did not because I thought it was also a PVA type panel. I'll investigate the HX950 compared to my old A650 that has the same issue you described, and to the ES8000. What I do on A650 is just adjust the center so that dead center is NOT too dark, but then of course, off angle the contrast looks washed out.

To avoid this kind of off center contrast issue, you'd need an IPS panel... basically a Panasonic LCD, or any kind of plasma.
post #645 of 4544 Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought you were going to wait to see if I was going to sell you my HX950 at a discount? Impatient man. smile.gif
post #646 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, here's the thing, Samsung has had this problem with off center contrast shift and things being "too dark" in the center of the screen for about 4 years now. My old A650 has this problem too. It's the PVA panels they use. Upset to hear ES8000 still has it. Surprised to hear HX929 did not because I thought it was also a PVA type panel. I'll investigate the HX950 compared to my old A650 that has the same issue you described, and to the ES8000. What I do on A650 is just adjust the center so that dead center is NOT too dark, but then of course, off angle the contrast looks washed out.
To avoid this kind of off center contrast issue, you'd need an IPS panel... basically a Panasonic LCD, or any kind of plasma.

Interesting that the HX950 uses the same PVA type panel, if that is true. Let's say it is true. Then it's most likely the way the processing, or edge lit vs full array shows off the viewing angle differences. We all know that plasmas don't have viewing angle issues, and that led's vary on the viewing angle range, per who designs that unit. I found the Sharp Elite and Sony had acceptable viewing angles, not the two Samsungs. It's a shame, for the Samsungs thin boarder makes it one of the best looking units in that regard. We all appreciate that you're addressing our questions and putting in the time and effort with the various units. Thank your for that and the time to reply with your well written, descriptive impression of these sets. You're doing a lot of the leg work for those who do not have the resorces or wallet to do so. Cheers.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #647 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 AM

Liked: 11
To owners of HX950 specially 55'', please show same test photos from CalMAN Fields / 10 Step Grayscale like I here on my 46HX850
http://hdtvpolska.com/topic/28099-mega-test-lcd-led-3d-sony-bravia-kdl-46hx850-profesjonalna-kalibracja/page__st__580#entry278416
My settings was, All ECO settings Off, Backlight: 6, and Dynamic Control LED: Off

You can download them from here http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
and then, run mp4 files on TV.

Thank You.

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
post #648 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
does anyone know if the Sony Monolithic Design Bunchin speaker stand SU-B551S works for the HX950?
post #649 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I thought you were going to wait to see if I was going to sell you my HX950 at a discount? Impatient man. smile.gif

Haha...patience is not one of my virtues.

post #650 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM

So...everyone who currently owns the 950..we've heard your initial impressions, I would like to know what your impressions are now that you had the set a few weeks now that the "polish" has worn off a lil bit. Still worth the money? Has PQ gotten better with certain settings? Are you still sitting in an empty room with the tv off and just oogleing at the design? Any thoughts at all? Lol...would love to hear 'em!

post #651 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked: 10
So I'm a little torn between getting the 55hx850 or the 55hx950. The hx850 is $1000 less and easily performs better than any other edge lit display. I assume the 950 is better but is it really $1000 better? I will be mostly gaming, watching movies (Bluray) and Sports(Hockey, if the lockout ends). I don't notice lag too much, but banding and clouding can be deal breakers. I can live with the greyish region Flavius has if it doesn't effect picture quality.

Also, where should I buy them from? I can get 10% off from Sony but Amazon doesn't charge tax. So it works out to be about even. What about the extended warranty?
post #652 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

Sony also told me that the problem is the Panel - from Samsung......and for the 950er model year - it is another facturer.
By the way - Samsung sell a new 65inch model here in Germany since a few weeks - and in German hifi-forum - 10 users complains exact the the same problem as the sony has :-)
poor quality for a lot of money :-(
The new 75inch Samsung should have no problems like that - but the price.............................

This is the problem when multiple manufacturers are actually using the same panel. One defect affects many brands. IMO, this is a way to quickly destroy an industry. Sony doesn't want to invest in big infrastructure anymore so for years they've been buying Samsung panels, although they still found ways to make their sets look different than Samsung. My fear for the future, especially since Sony has declared that they're going to back away a bit from the TV business is that Sony will be nothing more than a logo on someone else's TV.

Now having said all this, I'm more than happy with my 55HX929. While it does have a bit of blooming (which is rarely noticeable except on white on black credit sequences) and on really bright scenes I sometimes think I am seeing some "dirty screen syndrome" (although sometimes my screen really is dirty), the images are really terrific, I have no banding and I can't see buying a replacement unless there was a quantum leap in PQ - something on the scale of what Kuro did years ago, although if some company did accomplish that leap, I probably couldn't afford it anyway.
post #653 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So I am getting my 55HX950 delivered tomorrow. This is a my first LCD panel. What do I need to do for break in if anything. And where can I get custom settings ?

Thank you!
post #654 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Interesting that the HX950 uses the same PVA type panel, if that is true. Let's say it is true. Then it's most likely the way the processing, or edge lit vs full array shows off the viewing angle differences. We all know that plasmas don't have viewing angle issues, and that led's vary on the viewing angle range, per who designs that unit. I found the Sharp Elite and Sony had acceptable viewing angles, not the two Samsungs. It's a shame, for the Samsungs thin boarder makes it one of the best looking units in that regard. We all appreciate that you're addressing our questions and putting in the time and effort with the various units. Thank your for that and the time to reply with your well written, descriptive impression of these sets. You're doing a lot of the leg work for those who do not have the resorces or wallet to do so. Cheers.

Thanks. Honestly I have not had nearly enough time to do the kind of comparisons (with photos!) that I want to do. I will try to step it up a bit when I get the ES8000 in. I will also try to summarize my posts into one at some point.
post #655 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

So I am getting my 55HX950 delivered tomorrow. This is a my first LCD panel. What do I need to do for break in if anything. And where can I get custom settings ?
Thank you!

It's not a plasma, no break in needed. Heck, you don't even need to wait for it to warm up and get brighter like my old CCFL based Samsung LCD. The picture you get the first minute it is on is the same picture you're going to get weeks later. LEDs being digital as compared to the more analog qualities of phosphors or even florescent lamps.

By the way, I can confirm the off center contrast shift with dark scenes on the HX950, confirming to me it is a PVA panel (I've had lots of experience with PVA, TN, and IPS panels from my all my monitor adventures). This definitely acts like a PVA panel. But its not as bad as on my old A650.
post #656 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

It's not a plasma, no break in needed. Heck, you don't even need to wait for it to warm up and get brighter like my old CCFL based Samsung LCD. The picture you get the first minute it is on is the same picture you're going to get weeks later. LEDs being digital as compared to the more analog qualities of phosphors or even florescent lamps.
By the way, I can confirm the off center contrast shift with dark scenes on the HX950, confirming to me it is a PVA panel (I've had lots of experience with PVA, TN, and IPS panels from my all my monitor adventures). This definitely acts like a PVA panel. But its not as bad as on my old A650.

It does actually take around 30 minutes for the liquid crystals to reach optimum performance, so while the led backlight is at optimum from the off, its still an lcd display. What you may or may not notice is slight motion blur from a cold start! But as you say, no break in needed unlike plasma.

Aaron
post #657 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The 65HX950 just showed up on Sony Canada's site (finally) but it says shipping November 16! I hope that's wrong. Interestingly, no mention of the 55HX950, and they seem to still have some 55HX929s. So we might see the 65" arrive before the 55" up here.
post #658 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

The 65HX950 just showed up on Sony Canada's site (finally) but it says shipping November 16! I hope that's wrong. Interestingly, no mention of the 55HX950, and they seem to still have some 55HX929s. So we might see the 65" arrive before the 55" up here.

If Sony Canada maintains its listed price for this TV($1k more than the US one), I doubt many will rush to buy it.
post #659 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^
Yeah I'm having a tough time justifying spending $6K on a TV. I'm getting mine from FutureShop so I'm hoping I can get a better deal. They gave me the 60GT50 for $600 below list price a while ago. Maybe they'll do that again for me. We'll see.
post #660 of 4544 Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by audhwang View Post

does anyone know if the Sony Monolithic Design Bunchin speaker stand SU-B551S works for the HX950?
I have a Buchin stand for the 929 but I unaware if the mounting would be the same, unable to determine if configuration of the new 950 stand is the same. Knowing Sony it's probably just a little different.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page