Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Well I can tell you the Sony doesn't have the problems with whites and motion Colors look great, much better than on Sammy.. Of course, I don't watch sports asides from Olympics or tennis. I should probably compare a football or a hockey game before I box this up just for kicks.
Are you sure you're not using the 845U in some sort of Vivid or Dyanmic mode? The only time I've had issues with bright colors and lost details on other TVs in the past is when I've had things like Vivid or Dynamic mode on.

No...

User Mode:

Tweaked settings from users on this board. The picture looks nice at times and certainly could be considered acceptable. However, I'm a PQ fanatic and notice every detail.... so Sharp isn't quite up to my standards. Fingers crossed the Sony doesn't have banding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'll admit that I have not combed through this thread, but can someone tell me what differentiates the 950 from the 929? Thanks.
post #813 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I'll admit that I have not combed through this thread, but can someone tell me what differentiates the 950 from the 929? Thanks.

We still don't really know. Better 3D, maybe.
post #814 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

No...
User Mode:
Tweaked settings from users on this board. The picture looks nice at times and certainly could be considered acceptable. However, I'm a PQ fanatic and notice every detail.... so Sharp isn't quite up to my standards. Fingers crossed the Sony doesn't have banding.

I looked at a hockey match on NHL HD on both these TVs at the same time and paused it, and neither had any issues showing ice details or any jersey issues I could see. Motion was good too. But I'm not a sports nut so YMMV. And I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I don't expect anyone's HX950 banding to be different than mine. These are going to be first run units from Sony store that were probably made right next to each other on the same day. tongue.gif I mean for how many months has Samsung known about their banding issues, and they STILL can't get banding out of their sets.
post #815 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I looked at a hockey match on NHL HD on both these TVs at the same time and paused it, and neither had any issues showing ice details or any jersey issues I could see. Motion was good too. But I'm not a sports nut so YMMV. And I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I don't expect anyone's HX950 banding to be different than mine. These are going to be first run units from Sony store that were probably made right next to each other on the same day. tongue.gif I mean for how many months has Samsung known about their banding issues, and they STILL can't get banding out of their sets.

Sports are unwatchable on an es8000 65. I had family over to show off the new TV and even the wives noticed the banding and they don't even watch TV that often. A Samsung rep came out the next week and said he didn't see anything wrong with the TV and didn't see any banding. He actually asked me what banding was... Certified Samsung Tech. My five year old ran over to the TV and pointed the vertical bands out to the tech and he still didn't see them.

That was it for me and Samsung.
post #816 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

Sports are unwatchable on an es8000 65. I had family over to show off the new TV and even the wives noticed the banding and they don't even watch TV that often. A Samsung rep came out the next week and said he didn't see anything wrong with the TV and didn't see any banding. He actually asked me what banding was... Certified Samsung Tech. My five year old ran over to the TV and pointed the vertical bands out to the tech and he still didn't see them.
That was it for me and Samsung.

Samsung has been known to refuse to acknowledge problems, and deny claims, but now more and more manufacturers are giving resistance to offer help and resolutions like Sony, Panasonic and Sharp. They ll fall back on the response "it falls within acceptable specifications". I think a lot of this is due to failing economies and tighter constrictions.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #817 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Flavius

I didn't checked the banding on my 925 with a total white test picture.

I can tell you my impression with watching soccer. one Band was always there, but very thin. When the Camera moves from left to right I had a lot of thin Bands all over the Screen.

Also good to see with white or grey sky.

Your Band look more wide than my band.........so I do not know if its better or not. I have to see the New model live.....in Germany not before december.
post #818 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

BANDING COMPARISON: Left ES8000 with Backlight on 11 (middle setting) Default Brightness, Low Dynamic Contrast (doesn't affect this image). Right HX950, Backlight 5 (middle setting), Default Brightness, No Dynamic Contrast. Both TVs in their Standard mode.
This is the maximum size AVS lets me upload, taken from my SONY DSLR!
Trust me folks, I tried to get the white to look better on the ES8000, not really possible. If you maximize image, then lean back from your monitor and squint, you'll also see the HORIZONTAL banding on the ES8000.
Any blue tone color shifting on the extreme left or right of the image is my CAMERA's fault, not the TVs! Can you see the banding on the HX950 in the center I keep mentioning?
Differences can be seen best by standing up and moving about 4 feet away from your monitor!

GREAT shot!
post #819 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

You should try the Playstation 3D glasses. I'm not kidding. Look at one of the reviews on Amazon for them. They are rated above the Xpands and above the BR250 by the reviewer. And I personally like them better than the fancy Ti glasses. Plus, they're CHEAP!

Are these the PS glasses you are referring to?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SONY+COMPUTER+ENTNMT+AMERICA+-+3D+GLASSES/2904117.p?id=1218459141544&skuId=2904117&st=3d%20glasses&cp=2&lp=5

I see that you did more testing with 3D games; you initially were upset about jutter and cross talk in gaming mode. The main issue was that when watching 3D movies you had those issues but it was remedied when motion flow was enabled. You also said input lag was not a major concern. Wouldn't playing games in another mode with that allowed you to active motion flow etc. address your issues? If you did try this, has this resolved your issues?

BB is delivering my XBR950 tomorrow and collecting my VT50. The VT50 had issues with cross talk in Hugo; when I switched from 60hz to 48hz it alleviated some of the issue but not all. There was slightly more jutter but motion enhancer low helped some. Motion enhancer has three level; low, medium and strong. Medium and strong introduced too many issues. I would like to win the award for most hardcore gamer on this thread!

Vote for me as I have almost 10 years on Xbox live and can hit one frame links with input lag!

Thanks guys!

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #820 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 10
Flavius,
i also think we are talking about a different kind of banding.
My problems with the 65HX92(5)9 were the same as described by honda steffen, always with moving camera on plain colour-fields.
Two bands, one left- and one right on the screen were always visible.
I checked other 65's in the shops and they all had the same problem with bands at exactly the same spot.

Is the big screen the problem ? No because the even bigger Sharps were band free.
The 70 inch full led sharp had its own problems with moving camera on plain collour-fields, a sort of DSE, spots moving along with the camera movement.
Oddly, the sharps with side leds, were better in that aspect.
The best i have seen was the Sharp 80 inch 635(?) which was full led, but it had no 3D and the screen was to big.
(We can not get the elite in Europe).

So, new 65 owners, please let us no if the problem is solved.
As you can see, English is not my native language, sorry.
post #821 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

BANDING COMPARISON: Left ES8000 with Backlight on 11 (middle setting) Default Brightness, Low Dynamic Contrast (doesn't affect this image). Right HX950, Backlight 5 (middle setting), Default Brightness, No Dynamic Contrast. Both TVs in their Standard mode.
This is the maximum size AVS lets me upload, taken from my SONY DSLR!
Trust me folks, I tried to get the white to look better on the ES8000, not really possible. If you maximize image, then lean back from your monitor and squint, you'll also see the HORIZONTAL banding on the ES8000.
Any blue tone color shifting on the extreme left or right of the image is my CAMERA's fault, not the TVs! Can you see the banding on the HX950 in the center I keep mentioning?
Differences can be seen best by standing up and moving about 4 feet away from your monitor!

your 950 is exactly how my 65 929 was,right smack in the middle. it is leaps and bounds better than the Samsung, but still pathetic that they can't resolve this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #822 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruver View Post

Flavius,
i also think we are talking about a different kind of banding.
My problems with the 65HX92(5)9 were the same as described by honda steffen, always with moving camera on plain colour-fields.
Two bands, one left- and one right on the screen were always visible.
I checked other 65's in the shops and they all had the same problem with bands at exactly the same spot.
Is the big screen the problem ? No because the even bigger Sharps were band free.
The 70 inch full led sharp had its own problems with moving camera on plain collour-fields, a sort of DSE, spots moving along with the camera movement.
Oddly, the sharps with side leds, were better in that aspect.
The best i have seen was the Sharp 80 inch 635(?) which was full led, but it had no 3D and the screen was to big.
(We can not get the elite in Europe).
So, new 65 owners, please let us no if the problem is solved.
As you can see, English is not my native language, sorry.

"bigger Sharps were band free."
that's right as i have the Sharp 80" no dse and no banding at all.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #823 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Plus, Panny is supposedly getting out of the TV market

Someone I went to B-school with and works at Panasonic mentioned they were getting out of the Plasma market as well...
post #824 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Question for those on this thread. Currently I am on my 2nd Sammy 65" ES8000 (this one having worse problems than the first). I'm intent on returning this TV and getting something new, with my eye mostly being on the Sony XBR65HX950. Just curious about:
a) Has anyone on here made the same switch? If so, are you happier with the Sony?
b) Does this set (specifically the 65") have any issues with vertical banding / clouding / etc.? This is the problem I am having with the Sammy

Any other suggestions / comments regarding this set are greatly appreciated. Big leap in price point, but I think from my research it's worth it. Thanks in advance!
post #825 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Can anyone describe this to me? Why are some supposedly "native" 3D effects just a weird fuzz with no double image and hence no crosstalk, while others are double image without glasses and introduce crosstalk chances with glasses? I know the latter produces a better 3D effect, but I never understood how just fuzzing everything and then having the glasses unfuzz it was supposed to make things 3D?!
Does anyone even know what I'm talking about??

It should be crystal clear, minus the crosstalk of course. I've noticed every brand of 3DTV i've tried has separate settings for when in 3D mode [which persist and are adjustable only when in 3D mode] without any kind of warning about it. Perhaps there is a weird setting enabled by accident or something. Fyi, I have totally gotten to the point where i can ignore crosstalk. If your gaming on a console, there is a trick you can do to get realistic 3D dimensionality. Its going into options and changing the monitor size value to something lower. The lower you go, the more maximum separation. Realistic separation is when the distance between the two separate images of things that are in the distance (on the horizon for example) are as far apart as your eyes are wide (interocular distance). This increases crosstalk, but again, you may learn to ignore it.
post #826 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got my two HX950s today in the 65" variety. Great looking TV. However, one has about 5 dead pixels in the middle of it, and the other has a bright blue subpixel jammed on on the right side of the middle of the screen. Kudos to you sony for quality control, not. Now I have to jump through hoops to have BB switch them out. This is the part I really hate about buying a TV.
post #827 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post

Question for those on this thread. Currently I am on my 2nd Sammy 65" ES8000 (this one having worse problems than the first). I'm intent on returning this TV and getting something new, with my eye mostly being on the Sony XBR65HX950. Just curious about:
a) Has anyone on here made the same switch? If so, are you happier with the Sony?
b) Does this set (specifically the 65") have any issues with vertical banding / clouding / etc.? This is the problem I am having with the Sammy
Any other suggestions / comments regarding this set are greatly appreciated. Big leap in price point, but I think from my research it's worth it. Thanks in advance!

Haven't you been reading flavius posts? He has both TVs and has done a comparison of both. I suggest you go back and read through the discussion again. confused.gif
post #828 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the other hand, the WHITE that this TV produces is best white I have ever seen on any TV EVER. It's truly amazing. An all white screen on a VT50 would look yellow.
You've had a VT50 too?
post #829 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I got my two HX950s today in the 65" variety. Great looking TV. However, one has about 5 dead pixels in the middle of it, and the other has a bright blue subpixel jammed on on the right side of the middle of the screen. Kudos to you sony for quality control, not. Now I have to jump through hoops to have BB switch them out. This is the part I really hate about buying a TV.

Well that's not very encouraging...mine will be in next week. Hopefully it has no issues because I bought it through Sony and I really don't feel like dealing with their customer service..

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #830 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I find news reports that Panasonic is getting out of Plasma business rather dubious. In the near future anyway as they just heavily revamped their highly acclaimed 2012 line up.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #831 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

We still don't really know. Better 3D, maybe.
You're an optimist. I was going to say that the only difference between the HX929 and HX950 is the model number on the box it was shipped in. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

You've had a VT50 too?
I, too, had a VT50 for a few weeks before I got the HX950. IMHO, the HX950 wins by a landslide. The VT50 may not have the blooming that the HX929 & 950 have, which is the only thing the VT50 does better. But then there is a LONG list of things where the HX950 beats the VT50: better blacks, better whites, no flicker, no plasma dithering / pixel noise, fantastic & consistent brightness without ABL, no fan noise, no burn-in or image retention, etc. All those things add up to make the difference between a good TV and a great TV. If anybody objectively did a side-by-side comparison of properly setup TVs without any brand names or without knowing which set is which technology, I'd be shocked if they picked the VT50 over the HX950.

Bazinga!

post #832 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

That sucks. There's been a few dead/stuck pixel issues already with the HX950. The HX850 had dead/stuck pixel problems early on as well. Keep retrurning it until you get one that's clean. Best Buy is awesome about returning stuff, especially on tvs.
post #833 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

That sucks. There's been a few dead/stuck pixel issues already with the HX950. The HX850 had dead/stuck pixel problems early on as well. Keep retrurning it until you get one that's clean. Best Buy is awesome about returning stuff, especially on tvs.

Holy crap guys!! That's terrible to hear. I must have really lucked out with my 65HX950.... zero dead or stuck pixels that I can spot, and I did all the color purity tests.

Barrett, I know you're not in the mood for it due to the dead/stuck pixels, but can you put up white screens and tell us about any faint banding you see?
post #834 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

You've had a VT50 too?

No, I had a Samsung E7000 plasma. Mostly hated it, but damn it had good 3D.
post #835 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

It should be crystal clear, minus the crosstalk of course. I've noticed every brand of 3DTV i've tried has separate settings for when in 3D mode [which persist and are adjustable only when in 3D mode] without any kind of warning about it. Perhaps there is a weird setting enabled by accident or something. Fyi, I have totally gotten to the point where i can ignore crosstalk. If your gaming on a console, there is a trick you can do to get realistic 3D dimensionality. Its going into options and changing the monitor size value to something lower. The lower you go, the more maximum separation. Realistic separation is when the distance between the two separate images of things that are in the distance (on the horizon for example) are as far apart as your eyes are wide (interocular distance). This increases crosstalk, but again, you may learn to ignore it.

Thanks for the tips but you misunderstood me. It is crystal clear. What I meant was that some 3D games just have FUZZ but no double image WITHOUT GLASSES, while some have a strong double image. The FUZZ variety has a lot less crosstalk, if any. In any event, not important.
post #836 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the really bad quality picture this time, but it still serves my point, which is to showcase just what a difference local dimming vs edge lit alone can make. No loss in shadow detail either. despite what the bad phone cam wants you to see.

mike50 likes this.
post #837 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm now a member of the HX950 owner's club(got my 55'' yesterday).

After viewing material via 4 different inputs(HD cableTV, BD player, PS3 and XBOX360), I noticed 2 defects: 1- a vertical green line one pixel or so wide on the left hand side/edge of the screen; 2- a faint violet rectangle 3''x4''(approx size of one of the 105 zones) in the lower right quadrant of the screen. I used picture/screen settings similar to those recommended here.

The vertical line is with the full pixel screen setting and is always apparent with that setting on the cable input. With the screen normal setting, it is sporadic and much fainter on all inputs.

I noticed the rectangle while viewing a 3D video direct from the TV and a 3D BD from the PS3. The rectangle was at the same location in both cases with or without the 3D glasses. I could not see it when I played back the BD in 2D.

Your comments are welcomed.

Edit: 1- green line problem solved by changing cable box.
2- zone defect solved with 950 replacement.
post #838 of 4527 Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

I'm now a member of the HX950 owner's club(got my 55'' yesterday).
After viewing material via 4 different inputs(HD cableTV, BD player, PS3 and XBOX360), I noticed 2 defects: 1- a vertical green line one pixel or so wide on the left hand side/edge of the screen; 2- a faint violet rectangle 3''x4''(approx size of one of the 105 zones) in the lower right quadrant of the screen. I used picture/screen settings similar to those recommended here.
The vertical line is with the full pixel screen setting and is always apparent with that setting on the cable input. With the screen normal setting, it is sporadic and much fainter on all inputs.
I noticed the rectangle while viewing a 3D video direct from the TV and a 3D BD from the PS3. The rectangle was at the same location in both cases with or without the 3D glasses. I could not see it when I played back the BD in 2D.
Your comments are welcomed.

Are you sure your green pixel line is not coming from your source material? WOW. Sorry to hear this too, especially after hearing about the guy with dead/stuck pixels on both his 65HX950s. Makes me feel like I dodged a bullet.

Well at least I should be evidence that you CAN get a defect free set.
post #839 of 4527 Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Are you sure your green pixel line is not coming from your source material? WOW. Sorry to hear this too, especially after hearing about the guy with dead/stuck pixels on both his 65HX950s. Makes me feel like I dodged a bullet.
Well at least I should be evidence that you CAN get a defect free set.

The material being different for all the sources, it cannot be the problem.
post #840 of 4527 Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:

man, that really does suck. Mine is being delivered today. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page