Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4523 Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just finished seeing my first full BluRay on the HX950.... Battleship. WOW, best home movie experience of my life!! I actually found that Advanced Contrast on Low and Clear White on Off produced the best results compared to my original settings. Advanced Contrast also helps reduce crosstalk in 3D by a smidge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4523 Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

So, while in the menu system the local dimming gets turned off but comes back on automatically once you exit the menu? I guess it's safe to assume the HX850 turns the local dimming off as well while in the menu system since some 850 owners also complained of clouding only in the menus.

That is absolutely correct. On - Off - On. Drive me nuts, but hey I dont spend much time in menus.
post #993 of 4523 Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

would you explain this process of getting replacement? please.
I'd like to learn from the best tongue.gif
if you don't want to post here, pls. send me PM
How geek squad saw dead pixels? at your home? or at BB? or just over your picture to prof the set is defective?
thanks

You just call the store and say what the issue is. They have to schedule it. The first time they wanted to sent a GS agent out to verify. I showed him, he said, ok. He wouldn't want a set like that either after paying so much.

Flavious, I can see a little of the clouding you are talking about, but it is really not an issue as you have to be severely off angle to see and I never sit 45-60 degrees off angle. I'm so much happier with this set's capability coming from the panny plasma sets. Panny was a insult when I called them about IR and burn in saying it doesn't happen. My local tech calls them and they say just the opposite. If I can just get my second set without defect I'll be in the clear and a very happy camper.
post #994 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Ok, TV's 3 and 4 were delivered today. One has zero defects, stuck or dead pixels. Uniformity is good also. Slight band in the middle, but is just fine for the keeping. Set number 4 has one stuck green subpixel in the lower left center area of the set. Gonna switch that one out now for number 5 and hopefully have two keepers on my hands. BB is again making this process a hassle, but most likely because the two store higher ups are off today. I am just anxious to be done with this and enjoying my two new sets. They are definitely sharp looking sets, just the quality on pixel anomolies is frustrating given the fact that we are already working on 4k sets. I can't imagine inspecting the pixels on those.
At least the guy from geek squad who verified my defects on the first two sets agreed it wasn't worth keeping them for and that it is normal for most customers who are in the $5,000 tv set market to be this particular about any defects. I hate sending them back, but for what you pay, it's kind of frustrating.

Are all the defective tvs 65inch? Have the 55's been free of defects?
post #995 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 15
Morning,

Can someone start a XBR950 settings thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #996 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Just got back from Best Buy and looking at the 65 inch 950 in VIVID mode. The best buy salesman came up and told me that the 55 inch has been. "Calibrated" and to look at that one for an idea on how it performs!!!!!! Then in his sales pitch to me he says the 55 has 196 zones now and it's much improved from last year, I proceed to tell him that his information incorrect and that people have counted them,
and he tells me it is a fact the zones are increased!!!!! I was not going to argue anymore . Just thought I'd give you all a new best buy story of the day
post #997 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Just got back from Best Buy and looking at the 65 inch 950 in VIVID mode. The best buy salesman came up and told me that the 55 inch has been. "Calibrated" and to look at that one for an idea on how it performs!!!!!! Then in his sales pitch to me he says the 55 has 196 zones now and it's much improved from last year, I proceed to tell him that his information incorrect and that people have counted them,
and he tells me it is a fact the zones are increased!!!!! I was not going to argue anymore . Just thought I'd give you all a new best buy story of the day

how about ask salesman to place his money on 196 zones and ask him to prof it
and bring a laptop to prof 105 zones and take his money
or ask him to come in small claim court with you on misleading claims ...
I'm sorry, but sales pitch has to be stopped somehow

talk is cheap ...
post #998 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Just got back from Best Buy and looking at the 65 inch 950 in VIVID mode.

If you were looking at in VIVID you might as well have been looking at a different TV. Useless mode.
post #999 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

If you were looking at in VIVID you might as well have been looking at a different TV. Useless mode.

Agreed, of course the remote control was no where to be found, I had your latest settings handy and I was going to dial it in but then the salesman came up and I was ready to just go.
post #1000 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

how about ask salesman to place his money on 196 zones and ask him to prof it
and bring a laptop to prof 105 zones and take his money
or ask him to come in small claim court with you on misleading claims ...
I'm sorry, but sales pitch has to be stopped somehow
talk is cheap ...
Bestbuy / Magnolia stores do not allow you to use the remotes, so I brought my own and adjusted some of the settings, they were livid, claiming the sets had been pre-set by geeksquad calibration (ha ha) team. At the Sony store in tangiers store they let me apply my settings and they were quite impressed but said that store management will not allow them to keep setting and they must set back to default ?? Why not show off this set to it's max. ??

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1001 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

All 1920x1080x3 subpixels in my 55"-er are working properly. So that's one data point.
post #1002 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Bestbuy / Magnolia stores do not allow you to use the remotes, so I brought my own and adjusted some of the settings, they were livid, claiming the sets had been pre-set by geeksquad calibration (ha ha) team. At the Sony store in tangiers store they let me apply my settings and they were quite impressed but said that store management will not allow them to keep setting and they must set back to default ?? Why not show off this set to it's max. ??

They had no problem giving me the remote when I went to look at the 929 over a month ago. They gave me the remote and left the showroom. Maybe it depends on the employee, but I was happy to be able to tinker. The 929 was set to Vivid mode btw.
post #1003 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I've never had any issue with not being allowed to use a remote at BB. Some of 'em are sitting right next to the tv.
post #1004 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

As described previously, my 55'' has 2 defects: one with the full pixel setting and another one with one of the 105 zones of the panel.
post #1005 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

When I used to work at Best Buy, TVs were supposed to be kept in Vivid mode per the manufacture. It's not a Best Buy policy, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. want their TVs to look as bright as possible because that usually is what catches the customer's eye and they want their TVs to get the most foot traffic. I refused to adhere to this policy in Magnolia, because it made the TVs look like crap. Plus, the TVs are in retail mode which means even if you went in there and changed all of its settings, after 30 mins the TV resets itself to Vivid mode.
post #1006 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

As described previously, my 55'' has 2 defects: one with the full pixel setting and another one with one of the 105 zones of the panel.

I thought full pixel was strictly for games/bluray so tv broadcast would give you the green bar. I could not see problem with one of the zones. It could be the picture or my crappy laptop screen.

I have a question for the people who bought from BB. Did your store actually have them in stock, available to watch, because no store around me has them and the BB website has them listed as "Coming Soon"
Could i go into any BB and have them special order me one?
post #1007 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I thought full pixel was strictly for games/bluray so tv broadcast would give you the green bar. I could not see problem with one of the zones. It could be the picture or my crappy laptop screen.
I have a question for the people who bought from BB. Did your store actually have them in stock, available to watch, because no store around me has them and the BB website has them listed as "Coming Soon"

My store did not have them in stock. I just wanted to get the TV based off of the other reviews and the fact that I don't like Samsung, or LG. And I also had two Panasonic plasma televisions that were absolutely terrible when it came to image retention and Burn in. The TVs are housed at the local warehouse for Best Buy. My stores do not have them in stock to show on the showroom floor as was the case locally for me.
post #1008 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never had any issue with not being allowed to use a remote at BB. Some of 'em are sitting right next to the tv.

If you left a remote out in a NY store it would disappear in a Brooklyn minute.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1009 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I did not have the green bar on my previous HDTV(sony 52s5100), so the cable box is not at fault. The zone problem was detected while viewing a Bluray disc in 3D and I did not post a picture of it. Therefore, your laptop screen is OK smile.gif
post #1010 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 11
Amazon price just went back to $4,998.00. I placed my order. It is still back ordered, but I can wait.
post #1011 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you left a remote out in a NY store it would disappear in a Brooklyn minute.

That's probably true but BB Stores aren't just limited to NY.
post #1012 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think most BB stores don't carry them and probably won't unless there's a Magnolia Store tied to it. With the exception of Magnolia, I don't think they ever had the HX850 or the 929 in store.
post #1013 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think most BB stores don't carry them and probably won't unless there's a Magnolia Store tied to it. With the exception of Magnolia, I don't think they ever had the HX850 or the 929 in store.
How can a store expect a buyer to purchase 'sight unseen' a $3000.00 TV. ?? or in the case of a 65" almost 6K without being able to view it in person ??

post #1014 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The HX850 and last years XBR are Magnolia TVs, and would never be seen in a store that didn't have Magnolia. The best LED TVs that are not Magnolia were the HX750 from last year, and Samsungs 8000 series in 55" and below sizes.

The HX950 is probably sitting in the warehouse of a Best Buy with a Magnolia section. There' s a "display date" that is when the TV is supposed to go out on display per the manufacture, but when I was there I used to put them out as they came in. If you're a serious buyer of the TV and you don't see it out in the Magnoila section, just ask the supervisor to put it on display early. Usually isn't an issue.

The only TV that ever sold each year sight unseen was the VT series.
post #1015 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1 of the BB's i went to was a Magnolia. They didn't have a 950 and the guy there wasn't even aware of its existence. So that's why I find it weird that people are buying from them.
post #1016 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM

I was in the BB Magnolia store in Manassas, VA and the guy said they would probably put a 950 on display once they unload all the 929's. The 929 was all the way in a upper corner of the display area, not in a great position to see.

Bob
post #1017 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How can a store expect a buyer to purchase 'sight unseen' a $3000.00 TV. ?? or in the case of a 65" almost 6K without being able to view it in person ??

I think it's crazy too. I'm not making this up though. Call your Best Buy and ask them if they now or ever had the HX850, HX929, or currently have the HX950 on display.

I just spent the last 15 minutes calling all the BBs in Kansas City and surrounding areas. 10 total BBs told me that they don't have the 950, never had the 929, and only 3 stores said they had the 850 on display at some point but currently don't. Maybe it's different for each store but around here if you want to get an up close personal look at an 850, 929, or 950 you have to go the Sony Store.
post #1018 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Pretty easily actually... I trust reviews and other people's opinion on the quality of the picture. Seeing a TV in person doesn't matter that much to me because I know the picture will be tweaked/calibrated/modified and the source of the content isn't great. So judging the picture quality of a TV based on seeing it in a store is foolish. There are many other variables at play such has lighting, components, quality of the source, viewing angle, etc. I get ZERO value out of seeing a TV in person. Besides, return policies such as the one at Best Buy allow the opportunity to exchange the TV if its not what I want.

Additionally, I have access to the Internet so I can read other people's opinions... I can read professional reviews... I can 'see it' on YouTube... that's all I need.

My methodology has served me well... I have a great 5 y/o Samsung and about to get a great Sony 65 HX950.
post #1019 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I think it's crazy too. I'm not making this up though. Call your Best Buy and ask them if they now or ever had the HX850, HX929, or currently have the HX950 on display.
I just spent the last 15 minutes calling all the BBs in Kansas City and surrounding areas. 10 total BBs told me that they don't have the 950, never had the 929, and only 3 stores said they had the 850 on display at some point but currently don't. Maybe it's different for each store but around here if you want to get an up close personal look at an 850, 929, or 950 you have to go the Sony Store.

I went to a BB with Magnolia this weekend and they didn't have one. Apparently they aren't planning to send 950s to any BBs in the state of Oklahoma. The Sony rep was there basically pleading with the store manager to try and get a display unit setup, but it didn't sound like it was going to happen.
post #1020 of 4523 Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

I purchased the 55HX950 from Abt back in late September and received it on 10/5. I had one dead pixel. Talked to Abt less than a week ago, they sent a replacement that I'm due to receive on Wednesday without hardly any questions. They just send the new and take back the old, no extra charges of any kind.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page