Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4597 Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Square Trade is the best EW available.

I went to their website. They only let you select a TV up to $2999. LOL what is this 2005?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4597 Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Can you try the settings I posted and compared them to Rizzo's and let us know which you like better? Thanks.

Sure no problem. I hope to schedule delivery for this week, then I'll use Rizzo's for a bit and switch to yours after. I'll be glad to share my thoughts after seeing both.
post #1083 of 4597 Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I have a 46" XBR5 and am jonsing to move up to 55", either in the HX950 or (for economy's sake) HX850.
Since you have used XBR4, XBR8, and HX929, I would be keenly interested in your personal impression of their relative PQ (in 2D of course), which is the sole determinative factor for me.
BTW, hats off to you, and most particularly Flavius, for doing yeoman's work on this thread; it makes for very informative reading.
I have an XBR4 in the bedroom, and I had an XBR8 before I got my HX950.

The XBR4 is a fine set, but suffered with clouding, flashlighting, and gray blacks. But its 2D performance was very crisp and very nice.

The XBR8 was a major upgrade. Fantastic black levels, no flashlighting, no lag if you turned off all the bloatware image processing options. I would have been happy with my XBR8 for several more years if it hadn't died prematurely.

The HX950 is roughly on par with the XBR8, but definitely some improvements. The 240Hz of the panel completely smooths out the little bit of flickering I could see on the XBR8 at 120Hz when playing 24p material. The screen is glossy and you'll need good control of light elements in the viewing room. I'm enjoying the 3D more than I expected to. I dislike how much more lag the HX950 has even when you disable all the image processing stuff, unless you put it in Game mode.

But going straight from XBR4/5 to HX950 will be a huge upgrade for you, with the only notable drawback being the glossy screen.

Bazinga!

post #1084 of 4597 Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott128 View Post

Sure no problem. I hope to schedule delivery for this week, then I'll use Rizzo's for a bit and switch to yours after. I'll be glad to share my thoughts after seeing both.

Do mine first because mine are easier to dial in and after you see Rizzo's you may not want to ever go back. I make no claim that Rizzos' are better than mine. I just want an actual opinion of his settings vs mine from an impartial party before I go and try his. Because I really like mine but I promised I'd try his. smile.gif
post #1085 of 4597 Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I dislike how much more lag the HX950 has even when you disable all the image processing stuff, unless you put it in Game mode..

More lag when not in game mode compared to what though? The old Sony? Because the Samsung ES8000 has 40ms MORE lag than the HX950 when not in Game Mode with nice image processing going on (like motion smoothing) on both sets.. Now my 4 year Samsung in non-Game mode with AMP on was faster then the HX950, but the brand new Samsung is way way slower. And I like to game with Motion Interpolation ON. Game mode was the same on both sets I tested in terms of lag. And Game mode can be made to look GREAT on the HX950, just with forced off MotionFlow. frown.gif

Also I don't find the screen to very glossy. Certainly less glossy than my old Samsung 52" A650 "touch of class" 4 inch red bezel monstrosity.
post #1086 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone used the red, green or blue filters that come w/ some of the Blu ray home theater disc? My red and blue look very good, the green is off a little. While looking at the green filter the red on the screen looks black but each color on either side is more of a dark grey than a black. Any ideas on how to get them to be darker? I will try adjusting the color Gain and Bias.

Vince
post #1087 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 15
I was wondering what 3d glasses/ Blu ray player owners of the 950 have settled on and why?

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #1088 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

The XBR8 was heads and heels over the XBR4 which was an excellent set. As far as the XBR8 vs 929 the PQ is excellent on both, but I give the 929 an edge over the XBR8 for its excellent contrast ability and the Glass front which undoubtedly enhances the sharpness/crispness of it's PQ. The XBR8's advantage is the matte finished panel (for is non-reflective qualities). I just wish Sony would have incorporated the Tri-luminous LED's in the 929, that would have created an unbeatable panels (but cost restrictions prohibited that, one of the reasons the XBR was sooo $$$$$. The 46" was almost 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I have an XBR4 in the bedroom, and I had an XBR8 before I got my HX950.
The XBR4 is a fine set, but suffered with clouding, flashlighting, and gray blacks. But its 2D performance was very crisp and very nice.
The XBR8 was a major upgrade. Fantastic black levels, no flashlighting, no lag if you turned off all the bloatware image processing options. I would have been happy with my XBR8 for several more years if it hadn't died prematurely.
The HX950 is roughly on par with the XBR8, but definitely some improvements. The 240Hz of the panel completely smooths out the little bit of flickering I could see on the XBR8 at 120Hz when playing 24p material. The screen is glossy and you'll need good control of light elements in the viewing room. I'm enjoying the 3D more than I expected to. I dislike how much more lag the HX950 has even when you disable all the image processing stuff, unless you put it in Game mode.
But going straight from XBR4/5 to HX950 will be a huge upgrade for you, with the only notable drawback being the glossy screen.

Thanks for those replies; that's pretty much the comparative analysis I was expecting to hear. I'm aware that I would be going from a matte to a glossy panel and that does make me a bit apprehensive since the set is in my living room, not a lighting-controlled HT.

FWIW, I have never noticed any clouding or flashlighting on either my 32XBR4 or 46XBR5. I'm not a gamer, but both sets have immaculate PQ IMO. In fact, my only real rationale for upgrading is the larger screen size. (Because of the large bezel, the 52XBR5 would not have fit in my custom wall unit.)

BTW, for those of you who may not be aware, Sony extended the warranty on the model year 2007 XBR4/5's due to picture anomalies--apparently due to poor QC at the subcontractor's panel production facility. Even though I was only experiencing minor occasional issues, they replaced my 4-year-old set in August with an identical refurbished model and gave me a 2-year warranty on it; that's essentially a no-cost 6-year manfacturer warranty. The new panel had zero user hours on it when I got it (I checked) and presumably will not be subject to the same anomalies.

So kudos to Sony for standing by their products in at least this instance (and even if they might have been pushed into it by the threat of lawsuits).
post #1089 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For anyone looking for1080p demonstration material from all manufacturers, visit http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php . demos are available for download and can be played off of a flash drive on you XBR sets. just a warning though, there is a VAST selection of material and may consume many many hours for an enthusiest.
post #1090 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

Obviously? He didn't show a pic, did he? For all I know he is complaining about the same ultra minor banding I am seeing on bright solid colors. The TV is just way too good to return over this, and go back to some edge-lit poop. Heck part of the reason I got the ES8000 after the 65HX950 is to try and get a banding-free TV, and instead I got 100 times worse banding. If Sharp has tons of banding free LED panels, then WOW, my hats off to them, too bad their edge-lit PQ sucks from everyone's accounts. I had someone on here WARN AND BEG ME not to buy a Sharp 847U due to abysmal PQ. My old Samsung CCFL 52" TV is also banding-free, whoopteedoo, but the PQ is just horrible compared to the HX950.

The reason I said obviously is because he's comparing it to his 8000, and those have awful banding. I can't imagine anyone complaining about yours though, it looks great. So assuming it doesn't look like yours, I'd try to get a replacement in the hope of getting one like yours. The 8000 65" having terrible banding is basically a given, but from what I read here so far, bad banding is not the norm for the 950.
post #1091 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Still on the fence with this one... Not sure if I happen to have a bad unit causing the banding... but the banding is even visible on the 'no signal' light blue screen. I can see vertical bands and I can really see them from an off-angle. On the XBOX home screen I see the vertical bands on the grey screen.

Watching sports is very difficult... Baseball, Hockey, Soccer and Football... basically anything with a lighter background and panning the banding gets really bad. The banding is across the screen and not just isolated in the middle. Very similar to the issues I was having with my 65es8000 (although not quite that extreme). For a 5k TV, I'm really disappointed.

However, I'm wondering if I happen to have a bad set. I've already exchanged 2 65es8000 TVs and 1 Sharp 70 845u.

The picture quality is truly amazing.. color, blacks, motion enhancements... all very WOW.

I'm a huge sports fan and I'm in a bit of a jam... Sharp PQ is relatively poor, Samsung es8000 is junk, IMHO... clouding, flashlighting, BANDING... And this set has unacceptable banding for a 5k TV.

Suggestions?
post #1092 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

Still on the fence with this one... Not sure if I happen to have a bad unit causing the banding... but the banding is even visible on the 'no signal' light blue screen. I can see vertical bands and I can really see them from an off-angle. On the XBOX home screen I see the vertical bands on the grey screen.
Watching sports is very difficult... Baseball, Hockey, Soccer and Football... basically anything with a lighter background and panning the banding gets really bad. The banding is across the screen and not just isolated in the middle. Very similar to the issues I was having with my 65es8000 (although not quite that extreme). For a 5k TV, I'm really disappointed.
However, I'm wondering if I happen to have a bad set. I've already exchanged 2 65es8000 TVs and 1 Sharp 70 845u.
The picture quality is truly amazing.. color, blacks, motion enhancements... all very WOW.
I'm a huge sports fan and I'm in a bit of a jam... Sharp PQ is relatively poor, Samsung es8000 is junk, IMHO... clouding, flashlighting, BANDING... And this set has unacceptable banding for a 5k TV.
Suggestions?

Watching sports on this unit as it is will never be a happy experience. Therefore, request an exchange or refund.
ATC7 likes this.
post #1093 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM

How do you check for banding, put a white slide on a usb stick?

Also, is there a test to check for dead/stuck pixels?

I should be receiving a call today to schedule delivery.
post #1094 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM

The best way to check of banding is to watch a sport like golf, soccer, football or hockey. Panning shots with a light background will show banding.
post #1095 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruver View Post

Imrizzo do you think the 65ES8000 and the 65HX950 have the same panel ?
If it's the same samsung panel, it could explain the problems on both sets.
The 65ES8000 is edge lit, there is NO WAY the 65HX950 is using the same panel since it is local dimming.
post #1096 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

I was wondering what 3d glasses/ Blu ray player owners of the 950 have settled on and why?

Playstation 3D glasses and a PS3 for BluRay playback.

Those glasses are the best Sony glasses due to built in polarizer, less crosstalk, no light bleed due to wrap around design, no head tilt issues. I'm also evaluating 3 other pairs at the moment from no-name brands. Not promising so far.
post #1097 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

Suggestions?

That's really a shame. In that case, I'd suggest you return it and get an Elite from Cleveland Plasma for not that much more than the HX950. Just be aware, there's no going back if you do that. smile.gif

Can you still take a picture of the banding for us on all white or all gray screen?
post #1098 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtalon View Post

Has anyone used the red, green or blue filters that come w/ some of the Blu ray home theater disc? My red and blue look very good, the green is off a little. While looking at the green filter the red on the screen looks black but each color on either side is more of a dark grey than a black. Any ideas on how to get them to be darker? I will try adjusting the color Gain and Bias.
Vince

I found that I had to reduce my G-Gain to -6. Only color adjustment I made compared to box settings on General besides turning off Live Color. Set has a green push.
post #1099 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Something has happened twice now and it is worrying me: Basically, out of the blue I will get a super fast FLASH on the screen. Like the whole screen just flashed white. Has only happened twice and not during movies or anything, maybe only while in PS3 dashboard and one other time I can't recall.

Has anyone else seen or heard of something like this? Of course it could also be my new receiver, my new cables, my PS3, my imagination..... but still.
post #1100 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Something has happened twice now and it is worrying me: Basically, out of the blue I will get a super fast FLASH on the screen. Like the whole screen just flashed white. Has only happened twice and not during movies or anything, maybe only while in PS3 dashboard and one other time I can't recall.
Has anyone else seen or heard of something like this? Of course it could also be my new receiver, my new cables, my PS3, my imagination..... but still.
It is probably do to your -6 G Gain setting!
post #1101 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM

at work at the moment.. hey flavius.. any chance of you taking a pic of your 'no signal' blue screen? My screen has multiple vertical bands through the center... some lighter; some darker. It takes a second to see it...however, the screen is anything but uniform blue. Like a pattern of vertical bars.

Don't see it gaming on the xbox and don't see it during movies. However, 50% of what I watch is sports.

If you don't see any bands on the blue screen, that tells me its my set... however, if you see those bands as well... its most likely the 950.
post #1102 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Update: I just had Best Buy bring out set number 5 this morning. Panel was good, except it had clumps of fuzz in the bottom and middle of the display panel. Called the store, they said that was very unlikely and to give sony a call. I called them and spoke to someone in their customer relations department. Basically I was offered an extension of 3 months on my warranty for all my troubles. It's good to know that $10,000 buys you very little these days in quality control from Sony. 6 TVs, one is a keeper so far. Kudos!
post #1103 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:

That's really a shame. In that case, I'd suggest you return it and get an Elite from Cleveland Plasma for not that much more than the HX950. Just be aware, there's no going back if you do that. smile.gif
Can you still take a picture of the banding for us on all white or all gray screen?
\

at work at the moment... the blue, 'no signal' screen is a great indicator of banding for me in the 950. Is faint, but i can clearly see the individual light bands.
post #1104 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM

I almost forgot...

While purchasing my 55" HX950, I asked the sales rep what the differences are between the 950 and 929. He told me that the 950 has a wider viewing angle, something about not having a camera, and that the 950 has 196 zones compared to 105 for the 929.

After reading about the zone tests done here, I was surprised by his claim. He said it's 196 zones for the 55" and 65" models. He said it should be on the Sony website, but I couldn't pull it up until later as I had no cell service in there.

I told him about AVS and the people who had done zone tests, and he said he hopes he didn't give me misinformation.

I later checked on the website and saw no mention of zone count. Where did this 196 notion come from?
post #1105 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I almost forgot...
While purchasing my 55" HX950, I asked the sales rep what the differences are between the 950 and 929. He told me that the 950 has a wider viewing angle, something about not having a camera, and that the 950 has 196 zones compared to 105 for the 929.
After reading about the zone tests done here, I was surprised by his claim. He said it's 196 zones for the 55" and 65" models. He said it should be on the Sony website, but I couldn't pull it up until later as I had no cell service in there.
I told him about AVS and the people who had done zone tests, and he said he hopes he didn't give me misinformation.
I later checked on the website and saw no mention of zone count. Where did this 196 notion come from?

That 196 number originated from Engadget when they saw the TV at its intoduction. I'm pretty sure they pulled that number out of their a$$... Heres the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/sony-bravia-hx950-hands-on/

If you do the math, 196 just would not work. It would have to be 7X28 or 14x14, and neither of these make any sense. It doesn't work any other way without a decimal/fraction.

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #1106 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Playstation 3D glasses and a PS3 for BluRay playback.
Those glasses are the best Sony glasses due to built in polarizer, less crosstalk, no light bleed due to wrap around design, no head tilt issues. I'm also evaluating 3 other pairs at the moment from no-name brands. Not promising so far.

I have tried the following 3D glasses:

Titanium- yellow tint, slightly less detail, issues with head tilt, the blinking light is distracting and it let's in ambient light from the sides. (returned)
Sony 205- head tilt was slightly better than the Titanium's and no other issues. (will be my second pair)
Playstation- head tilt not an issue (preferred)

I have tried the following players:

PS3: gets the job done but since it only has one hdmi out it is not an option. (my receiver can not pass 3d)

Sony BDP-S790- can't give it the nod over the Panasonic

Review: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/sony-bdp-s790-blu-ray-player-review/13134

Panasonic DMP-BDT500- the truth! It suits my audiophile needs and can play FLACS while outputting in analog with its fine D to A converter. It was brought to my attention that Blu ray does not output the color element at 1920x1080 as it is subsampled. The Panasonic can upconvert the color element with the "chroma process" feature. Better quality build, better picture and can stream MKV from your network.

Review: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/panasonic-dmp-bdt500-blu-ray-player-review/12590
Info on subsampling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #1107 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Obviously? He didn't show a pic, did he? For all I know he is complaining about the same ultra minor banding I am seeing on bright solid colors. The TV is just way too good to return over this, and go back to some edge-lit poop. Heck part of the reason I got the ES8000 after the 65HX950 is to try and get a banding-free TV, and instead I got 100 times worse banding. If Sharp has tons of banding free LED panels, then WOW, my hats off to them, too bad their edge-lit PQ sucks from everyone's accounts. I had someone on here WARN AND BEG ME not to buy a Sharp 847U due to abysmal PQ. My old Samsung CCFL 52" TV is also banding-free, whoopteedoo, but the PQ is just horrible compared to the HX950.

Have to just add that not all tvs are created equal, i am very happy with my 'edge lit' 55HX850.

Aaron
post #1108 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The 65ES8000 is edge lit, there is NO WAY the 65HX950 is using the same panel since it is local dimming.

Why is there?

I would take panel to mean lcd panel, in which case it could technically. Just because the lighting system is different means nothing about the panel used.
post #1109 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM

So it would appear banding simply comes with the territory of LED TVs. LG has banding, Samsung has banding and even my BRAND NEW SONY 65HX950 has banding. UGH. WHY didn't my Sharp have ANY banding? None. I don't understand why banding appears to be a universal problem on larger screens yet no company (other than Sharp) has bothered to address this issue.

And why aren't reviewers mentioning banding in their reviews? Within 30 seconds my wife could see banding on my Sony... to the point it was distracting... yet two reviews of the same model did not even mention the defect. Is banding the great pink elephant in the room that cannot be fixed so no one talks about it? Are reviewers 'on the take' with manufacturers to not even mention banding?!?! Makes no sense. Reviews seem so technical and scientific and yet a defect a 5 y/o can spot is not even mentioned.

Even professional reviews of the Samsung 65es8000 do not mention banding!!
mike50 likes this.
post #1110 of 4597 Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I almost forgot...

Ok ready now practice this....in one ear and out the other...rinse and repeat...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page