Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
From this thread, it can be ascertained that the 65" panel are more subjected to banding issues, and not so much on the 55" panels ? As was the 929 series,
It leads one to believe that the manufacturing of these Large panels are not being governed by stricter Quality Control,(especially when it is a known problem). This is easily reflected in the number of problems with panels of 65" in the higher quality sets. The Japanese home theater manufacturers are in a world of hurt Earthquake/Tsunami, Economy and a major turn-down of sales, with record plummeting. And the Korean market is thriving, and flooding the market with good products (somewhat) & reasonable pricing. That is the reason behind the Sony/Panasonic joint venture to provide a better and more dependable, to regain their foothold in the HT-industry. Hopefully it will come out in our benefit with better products and quality. Something to really "knock your socks off", under the 6/7K price line up to 9/10 for Special features Like SuperXBR and SuperXBR Platimum plus. I patiently await the results..

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

From this thread, it can be ascertained that the 65" panel are more subjected to banding issues, and not so much on the 55" panels ?

No banding at all with my 55" model, and trust me, I looked for it. Also, no stuck or dead pixels, no wonky zones, no nothing. As others have mentioned, there can be a bit of clouding in the menu screens (seems to be dependent on your video settings) but, so far at least, NEVER with any kind of incoming video source. The difference between the Sony and the Samsung in this regard is night and day, IMO.
post #1263 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yeah, banding on my 65 for sure.. not nearly as bad as the 65es8000 but its definitely there.

Odd that the Sharp has zero banding. Its as if Samsung and Sony are using the same manufacturer for their panels.

On the fence about exchanging it but I'd assume every 65hx950 will be the same. Does anyone with a 65hx950 NOT HAVE BANDING? Very curious if an exchange is the route I should take...
post #1264 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

The other area where I think Samsung excels over the Sony is 3D. Here again, this may be due to a lack of 3D control in the Sony compared to the Samsung, but so far, I find myself preferring the 3D experience on the Samsung.
Other than that, the Sony bests the other models I tried in every conceivable way! I'll post more initial impressions later, but if you're looking for a rock-solid performer and can swing a $5000 TV purchase, I'd say you should give serious consideration to the 65" HX950.

The Samsung LCD only SEEMS better at 3D because the contrast ratio is so god-awful that the crosstalk is not as visible, but still there in the same areas and amounts, just fainter! High contrast LCD panels are more subject to crosstalk, unlike plasma which uses other techniques/advantages to improve 3D and crosstalk. Samsung plasma was the best TV I've ever seen for crosstalk, but 3D was dim like all plasmas.
post #1265 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

Does anyone with a 65hx950 NOT HAVE BANDING?

I doubt it, but isupes seems to have a banding-free set, he said it was very light but I could not see it at all on his test shot. Can't recall if he has 65 or 555 though.
post #1266 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
How are these sets compared to Sharp Elite? Can decide between the two. Any input would be great.
post #1267 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 10
I went by BB this weekend here in LA and they did not have any of the 950's on display at the Magnolia center, just the 929. The BB guy told me that the 929 and the 950 are the exact same panel, he said the Sony rep told me as much, and the only difference was different processing. He said there wasn't a lot they could improve on the set because it was already at the top. I wanted to get a 65" of these but I'm thinking now I might just go with the 55" 950 and wait until next year to see if there are any more significant improvements. They did have some 55" 929's in stock for $2600 if anyone is interested (BB Los Angeles on Pico).
post #1268 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:

No banding at all with my 55" model, and trust me, I looked for it. Also, no stuck or dead pixels, no wonky zones, no nothing. As others have mentioned, there can be a bit of clouding in the menu screens (seems to be dependent on your video settings) but, so far at least, NEVER with any kind of incoming video source. The difference between the Sony and the Samsung in this regard is night and day, IMO.

My 55 has 2 dead pixels, zero clouding or banding( though in avengers there is this scene which looks really bad, i posted a picture a few pages back. If you want to check out.)

Btw Amazon accepted the return and is NOT charging me return shipping because it's defective. I know some people had concerns about Amazon's return policy but they are being awesome with mine.
post #1269 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, banding on my 65 for sure.. not nearly as bad as the 65es8000 but its definitely there.
Odd that the Sharp has zero banding. Its as if Samsung and Sony are using the same manufacturer for their panels.
On the fence about exchanging it but I'd assume every 65hx950 will be the same. Does anyone with a 65hx950 NOT HAVE BANDING? Very curious if an exchange is the route I should take...

Can you confirm Sharp has zero banding?
post #1270 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM

My Sharp 845/847 had ZERO banding. It was the 70 inch, 240hz Sharp. I didn't know what banding was until I bought the 65es8000. Unwatchable. So I exchanged the Samsung for the Sharp and the banding was absolutely 100% not there. I watch a ton of sports.. hockey, soccer, football, baseball... zero banding.

However, the reason I exchanged the Sharp for the Sony was because... Sharp's PQ is poor. No matter the settings, the colors clipped and the picture never looked good. Secondly, the motion was choppy / pixelated ... just a mess. So sports would blur, get pixelated, and balls would have this comet-like trail. When I disabled the motion effects, it was just a mess. IMHO, the only thing Sharp did right was not have banding. It was everything else that sucked.

The Sony PQ is amazing and I'm slowly adapting to the banding. Still curious if there is a 65 inch LED TV without banding.. I'm starting to think there is no such thing.
Oldemar likes this.
post #1271 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Except it is no guarantee. Just look at all the original Xbox 360s and their Red Ring of Death. No one saw them regardless of torture, until sufficient months had passed with high heat stress that gradually separated the surface mounted ICs from the motherboard. eek.gif

If the bloody thing has no dead pixels or other obvious problems, I'd rather not intentionally try to break it, as I feel all it will do is lower its eventual lifespan. It's asking for trouble. When you build PCs yourself, which I do, of course you have to torture test for stability, but that's a totally different can of worms compared to consumer electronics.

I will agree, it is no guaranty, thats for sure, but it does up the odds quite a bit in your favor. I guess it is all how you look at it and which side you take is all. Lowering its lifespan of 1 week in a 10 year ratio is nothing I am concerned about, and thats all it does. That holds no weight in my eyes. Compared to the chance of spotting a lemon early on, that holds more weight IMO only of course.

XBox's are a GREAT example in your debate though, I will hand it to you on that. But that was a very rare certain thing. It was the paste used drying up, THEN if not attended to, the heat would stress the board. No one can cause paste to dry quicker than it just will by nature. Especially that paste made for high heat. So yes sir, you are right about the XBox 360, but that was the nature of that weird anomaly is all. And yes, therefore I agree that could happen elsewhere too. Torture testing the 360's may not have caused the issue to happen faster, but keep in mind, if you did torture test your XBox 360, nothing bad happened to it either. It did not RRoD more soon than it normally would have, and I can guaranty it didn't cause any noticeable lifespan shortage.

I'll take my chances, for the results I've gotten in the past. And again, I must reiterate, I mean more of a "extreme exercise" than "torture" like you would after a PC build. I'll run it like stores do or something. 18 hrs on then give it a 6hr rest, 18hrs on, give it a rest, etc.. And for this TV, it is ONLY so I can calibrate it by a pro sooner. Components don't really know time. So once you have it off long enough for it to completely cool down, rest, etc.., the device doesn't know if it has been off for 6 hrs or 6 weeks right ? So it can't hurt it. It is just getting to the 200hr mark sooner is all.
post #1272 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM

I've spent more time with my set over the weekend, and while PQ and black levels are best of the bunch I've bought, the banding has gotten the best of me. I think I will hold off of 65" sets for a while, and it seems that there are less issues with 60" and smaller sets in general.

I only watch a few channels, and they do quite a bit of panning on light colored backgrounds so I'm sad to say that I won't be keeping the 65HX950. mad.gif
post #1273 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

The Sony PQ is amazing and I'm slowly adapting to the banding. Still curious if there is a 65 inch LED TV without banding.. I'm starting to think there is no such thing.

Do you think this is possible to get used to the banding? I've thought about this myself, but I think I might send it back anyway. It's hard to un-see something... much harder than some other habits I'd say because it's not a routine.
post #1274 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

Odd that the Sharp has zero banding.

Totally different panel. Not so odd.
Quote:
Its as if Samsung and Sony are using the same manufacturer for their panels.

They most probably are. The only tier 1 65s in the world come in tiny quantities from Samsung and LG. It's probably the same Samsung panel in both.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #1275 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Yes, I think its possible and here is why. When I first got the set last week, I found myself constantly adjusting the picture and actually looking for the banding or any other flaw. I wasn't really watching TV but rather looking for issues... At first, it was depressing because the PQ is amazing... but being a sports fan, the banding was really a problem. However, after a weekend of football and soccer... and baseball, I've finally settled into some good picture adjustments (by Flavius) and really enjoyed the beauty of this TV.

Do I see banding? yes.. is it annoying? Yes but its not nearly as pronounced as it was when I first bought the TV!!!

I feel the banding is slightly better if you turnoff the Eco Ambient Light setting... set it to off and picture gets very colorful and bright as well.
post #1276 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

They most probably are. The only tier 1 65s in the world come in tiny quantities from Samsung and LG. It's probably the same Samsung panel in both.

Sounds accurate to me. The banding is nearly identical in terms of its form.. however, the 65es8000 is nearly unwatchable due to the severity of its banding issue.
post #1277 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Rogo, IR will show on bright colors, but also on dim colors such as green and blue. And if you use it like I did over a year, you will get dark spots. And the plasma is more fuzzy.

I have no IR on any colors. Period. And I've owned a previous Panasonic plasma, which got no "dark spots".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

I had a VT50 and suffered BI just from the Navi Menu on the bottom left and the word Menu in the top left. I had IR from the Viera Logo coming on at start up. I really enjoyed the TV but with the IR and BI associated with the TV caused much trepidation. I don't want to baby my TV and be in constant fear no matter how good some say the TV is. These are facts according to my experience.
Today was a liberating day as I cut off the screen saver on my Panasonic BDT500.

I have no burn in. My DVR has some kind of built-in screen saver. I left the PS3 on the menus for 2 hours yesterday. No image retention was evident after about 3 minutes of normal viewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

I've had a plasma for over 5 years now with no issues and have seen many others state the same and I have never babied it at all. smile.gif

Same.

Anyway, none of this matters. If you want a 65" Sony LCD, buy it. Apparently, you might have to live with banding every day you own it (whatever that means, I'm not sure that's a real issue, but apparently some people find it worth exchanging or returning the TV). I don't have any banding or any of these other problems that supposedly plague plasmas or mine in particular. For what it's worth, I do not believe there will be plasmas from Panasonic or Samsung after 2014-15. This will be my "Kuro" in the sense that I'm buying it knowing the technology is going obsolete soon.

If I thought the Sony HX-950 was a "10 year TV", I'd personally find it worth $5000 or so. But I don't see it as one, and "banding" isn't the reason. The reason is that it's got really good, but not mind-boggling contrast and color performance. It doesn't have 4k x 2k resolution. It doesn't have unlimited horizontal viewing angles. It's a fine looking product from my brief experience seeing one. But to me, it's not a 10-year TV.

For those that (a) don't care about that and (b) think it is, I reiterate my best wishes from the prior post. I'll effort to end this tangent here so long as material misrepresentations of the performance of competing products don't return to the discussion.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #1278 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM

How about we stick to comments that are directly related to the HX950 here? If someone wants to compare it to another set that is fine, but we don't need any comments that have nothing to do with it or the technology in it.
Oldemar likes this.
post #1279 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post

How about we stick to comments that are directly related to the HX950 here? If someone wants to compare it to another set that is fine, but we don't need any comments that have nothing to do with it

+1
post #1280 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

From this thread, it can be ascertained that the 65" panel are more subjected to banding issues, and not so much on the 55" panels ? As was the 929 series,
It leads one to believe that the manufacturing of these Large panels are not being governed by stricter Quality Control,(especially when it is a known problem). This is easily reflected in the number of problems with panels of 65" in the higher quality sets. The Japanese home theater manufacturers are in a world of hurt Earthquake/Tsunami, Economy and a major turn-down of sales, with record plummeting. And the Korean market is thriving, and flooding the market with good products (somewhat) & reasonable pricing. That is the reason behind the Sony/Panasonic joint venture to provide a better and more dependable, to regain their foothold in the HT-industry. Hopefully it will come out in our benefit with better products and quality. Something to really "knock your socks off", under the 6/7K price line up to 9/10 for Special features Like SuperXBR and SuperXBR Platimum plus. I patiently await the results..

Imrizzo,
as usual very wise words.
I hope you are right about the Sony-Panasonic venture.
Only Sony products with E.S. behind the product number, have a stricter quality control. Alas until now, only receivers and projectors.

@CaneDawgg
I do think Samsung and Sony use the same panels.
Sharp doesn't make 55 or 65 inch.
I believe they make 52, 70, 80 and 90 inch panels.
post #1281 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Liked: 18
Ok. For those curious of the differences between the Samsung 65es8000 and the Sony 65HX950, here you go! Also, keep in mind that I went through 4 of the Samsungs and only the1 Sony.........You be the judge.

The pics speak for themselves. Enjoy.

Samsung UN65ES8000:
Aperature: f/2.4 -- EXIF: 2.2.1 -- Shutter 1/20 -- ISO: 400
829e2f8ac4c974204b526842ba19597a.jpg
f/2.4 -- 2.2.1 -- 1/15 -- 3200
446fcddcabbae215169c5e42a4293b8e.jpg
Same
bcd24d584eca2bef0af4e55d7d42d70c_zps8596ddac.jpg

Sony XBR65HX950:
f/2.4 -- 2.2.1 -- 1/40 -- 50
D4D27667-764A-4A83-AE5B-2E1C17E36F2A-27468-0000113AFD225CE7.jpg
f/2.4 -- 2.2.1 -- 1/15 -- 800
9BE13FFF-920D-4614-96BA-7DF8E02BBB3F-27468-000011409D98FB39.jpg
The only reason you can see haloing in this pic is because I have the backlight at 7 to more actively pronounce it.
f/2.4 -- 2.2.1 -- 1/15 --3200
39A473C6-8A2D-4066-AB81-8EAC4BE604BE-27468-000011409702D4E9.jpg

As I've stated before, I could not be happier. For those Samsung lovers, the backlight IS turned down to 3 points above the minimum while the Sony is 3 points below the MAXIMUM.I can't remember the exact values because I have been messing with the Sony's settings which are valued differently. All 4 of the Samsungs had the same exact issues, some more pronounced then others. All 65 inchers. The Sony truly does blow me away.

Also, Local-Dimming is turned on on the Sony. BUT, the "Micro-Dimming" garbage on the Samsung is turned on too in standard mode.
avmaxfan and Oldemar like this.

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #1282 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post

...I could not find a combination of Cinemotion and Motionflow that completely satisfied me so I turned both off and have not looked back. Perfect PQ. Near perfect blacks. Outstanding contrast. Sure it is pricey, but the peace of mind in knowing I have a quality television with fantastic PQ and quality build far outweighs the cost. To those shopping, good luck!
Also, Local-Dimming is turned on on the Sony. BUT, the "Micro-Dimming" garbage on the Samsung is turned on too in standard mode.
I've come to the same conclusion, and I've disabled both CineMotion and Motionflow.

Holy cow that Sammy is a banding monster. eek.gif I would be very disappointed if that were my TV. Congrats on moving to the HX950. We're all on a quest for perfection, and this is a nice step along the way.

Bazinga!

post #1283 of 4597 Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I've come to the same conclusion, and I've disabled both CineMotion and Motionflow.

You guys are insane. biggrin.gif Without both CineMotion and MotionFlow I'd see nothing but stutter everywhere, as bad as my Samsung plasma. Intolerable. But, whatever makes you happy. For everyone else, rest assured the motion handling on the HX950 is far better than any Samsung set in both movies and games, especially if you're the type that hates judder AND SOE.
post #1284 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

KDL-46,55HX920 / XBB-46,55HX929 -- Samsung's old SPVA with PSA (same panel with Samsung ES6000 series)

KDL-65HX920 / XBR-65HX929 -- CMO's S-MVA w/o PSA.

KDL/XBR-55HX950 -- Samsung's newer S-PVA with PSA. (same panel with Samsung ES7000 series)

KDL/XBR-65HX950 -- probably still CMO's S-MVA ??? (Can someone take a pixel structure layout photo?)

At the following web sites, many LCD panel's detailed pixel structure layouts are provided. I think everybody can tell the difference between the old and new S-PVA panels with PSA.

KDL-55HX950

ES7000 vs KDL-46,55HX920 near end of this article (also LG S-IPS, Hitachi IPS-Pro, Sharp ASV / UV2A)

KDL-46HX920

Sony 32CX520 and KDL-65HX920

LCD panel pixel structure list
post #1285 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger685287 View Post

KDL-46,55HX920 / XBB-46,55HX929 -- Samsung's old SPVA with PSA (same panel with Samsung ES6000 series)
KDL/XBR-55HX950 -- Samsung's newer S-PVA with PSA. (same panel with Samsung ES7000 series)
KDL/XBR-65HX950 -- probably still CMO's S-MVA ??? (Can someone take a pixel structure layout photo?)
At the following web sites, many LCD panel's detailed pixel structure layouts are provided. I think everybody can tell the difference between the old and new S-PVA panels with PSA.
KDL-55HX950
ES7000 vs KDL-46,55HX920 near end of this article (also LG S-IPS, Hitachi IPS-Pro, Sharp ASV / UV2A)
KDL-46HX920

So, if I understand correctly, the 55" 950 uses a different panel (Samsung ES7000 series) than the 65" 950 (CMO)? If that is the case, then perhaps that explains the more limited viewing angle I've observed on my 55" model, but that Flavius and others are not experiencing with their 65" sets. BTW, what does CMO stand for? Is that an LG manufacturing plant? I wish there was a better translation of these page links. They are next to impossible to follow.

Having had a 60" ES8000 model before the Sony, there is enough difference between the two that I have to think the Samsung ES8000 uses a different panel all together. In terms of color management, I find myself preferring the Samsung. I am still struggling to dial in correct colors on the Sony (flesh tones in particular, are problematic).

Also, I am still subscribed to the ES8000 thread and someone over there finally published Samsung's explanation of Micro Dimming Ultimate. The gist of it is that the screen is broken up into over 600 zones and the processor adjusts the LCD's based on incoming source. Micro Dimming Pro (in the ES7000 series uses 300 zones). Any idea how this differs from what Sony is doing with its local dimming? Isn't it also a zone-based dimming technology?

UGH! These manufacturers couldn't make this any more confusing if they tried!
post #1286 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 18
I woke up this morning to a few PM's about the last pic I posted of the 950. The blooming you see in that pic is not "excessive" by any means, period. Standing in front the TV for that shot the blooming was barely noticeable. In fact, I jacked up the back light to almost torch mode to make it visible for the pic. I stated as much right above that particular pic. I did this on purpose to show people that "blooming/haloing" really is a non-issued on this set. The pic obviously didnt capture exactly what I wanted people to see, but given the fact that the pic above it did not show the exposure glow, I figured it was good enough. To be honest, I very very very rarely notice blooming ever. Now, I am not a photo nut. I do not take alot of pics. And I do not know how to set camera settings for the perfect pic. These pics were taken with an iPhone 5. Its all automatic. When telling me about exposure times and all this other stuff you may as well be talking to a brick wall. I don't care. If anyone can tell me how to get this info off my iPhone, I will edit my previous post with setting for each pic.

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #1287 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 11
Hi all, Just got our 65" HX950 delivered and am trying to see if we can play 3d blu ray movies in regular 2d mode as we found the glasses are not too comfy.. Thanks
post #1288 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having had a 60" ES8000 model before the Sony, there is enough difference between the two that I have to think the Samsung ES8000 uses a different panel all together. In terms of color management, I find myself preferring the Samsung. I am still struggling to dial in correct colors on the Sony (flesh tones in particular, are problematic).
Also, I am still subscribed to the ES8000 thread and someone over there finally published Samsung's explanation of Micro Dimming Ultimate. The gist of it is that the screen is broken up into over 600 zones and the processor adjusts the LCD's based on incoming source. Micro Dimming Pro (in the ES7000 series uses 300 zones). Any idea how this differs from what Sony is doing with its local dimming? Isn't it also a zone-based dimming technology?
UGH! These manufacturers couldn't make this any more confusing if they tried!

First of all, flesh tones on the HX950 look good if you just reduce the G-Gain to -6 or so leaving the rest of the color settings on default. This eliminates some green push and takes the greenish/yellow subtones out of people's faces. The Samsung ES8000 I think intentionally made everyone look WAY too red/pink. It gave everyone this "healthy glow" that while appealing, was completely unrealistic! How do I know? Well, Obama isn't supposed to look liked a Native American, is he? He was seriously reddish. There was no way to prevent people from looking way too pink/red without killing red tones everywhere. Not so with the HX950 as lowering the G-Gain doesn't hurt green shades anywhere else.

Second, none of the local dimming on the HX950 is ANYTHING like the ES8000. All the Samsung ES8000 dimming is fake poo. All micro dimming really does is make any bright object on a black screen, like movie credits, logos, etc look dark and dull. In other words, they really just dim the entire screen to try and trick you into thinking they have good black levels. It's all lies and marketing gimmicks. The only dimming I observed while testing the ES8000 was this full screen dimming. The HX950 series meanwhile is just the opposite. In fact, they should call it local brightening. Instead of dimming the whole screen, they start with a very dark screen and just brighten the non-dark areas by activating the LEDs behind those areas. The screen isn't constantly darkening fakely like the Samsung, instead the screen remains dark and just brightens needed zones. ES8000 can't do that because they re no LEDs behind the screen!
mike50 likes this.
post #1289 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger685287 View Post

KDL-55HX950
KDL-46HX920

does it mean that 65hx950 has diff tech panel vs 55hx950?
CMO S-MVA vs S-PVA?
which one is better tech?
Are those from the same plant / manufacture?

This can explain why more bandings on 65" vs 55" panels
post #1290 of 4597 Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cheung View Post

Hi all, Just got our 65" HX950 delivered and am trying to see if we can play 3d blu ray movies in regular 2d mode as we found the glasses are not too comfy.. Thanks

You can't, that's why most 3D BluRay retail packages also contain a separate 2D BluRay. Also, try the Playstation 3D glasses.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page