Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

They look good, but it is hard to tell from the photos if one TV is better or worse than the other because the photos are different.

My point exactly.
Oldemar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

The image quality of the low tier Wastinghouse LCD is much sharper than the Plasma, doesn't say much for Sammy's plasma.

The plasma is a way better performer than the 2006 LCD in a dim environment. Photos are a very unreliable way to compare PQ
post #1353 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

If the 55HX950 uses Samsung panels and the 65HX950 does not, it would explain the viewing angle inferiority of the 55" vs the 65". I would avoid the 55" in favor of the 65" in that case, not just because of the viewing angle, but because I don't trust Samsung anymore. There has to be a reason you pay $2000 extra besides 10 more inches. As with most electronics, the cheaper item generally has cheaper parts.

According to the last (current) post in the thread on the other site Koffas linked to earlier, a poster is not happy that Sony may be using newer technology (Samsung SPVA+Psa panels) in the less expensive 55" model, while still using older tech CMO SMVA panels in the 65" set, or as he puts it ("This bothers me because these sets are $2k more than the 55" versions yet Sony equipped them which cheaper Taiwanese panels? This is ridiculous.") I certainly agree that just because something is newer it doesn't necessarily make it any better, but if Sony is using two different panels (and one of them is not coming from a plant that, up until recently, they co-owned) then something else may be going on here.

As mentioned a few times now, we won't begin to know for sure until the results of an unbiased side-by-side comparison become available. I hope that gets to happen in the near future.
post #1354 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

The plasma is a way better performer than the 2006 LCD in a dim environment. Photos are a very unreliable way to compare PQ

My photos are true screen captures taken on freeze frame images with no enhancement. What the pictures represent is exactly what I'm viewing.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1355 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks very much for the tip and advice
post #1356 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks very much for the tip and advice
post #1357 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM

I have an Apple TV 2 current generation connected to the network and use airplay with both our iPAD 2 & iPHONE 4..
post #1358 of 4597 Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

My photos are true screen captures taken on freeze frame images with no enhancement. What the pictures represent is exactly what I'm viewing.

If you are using the term "screen capture" the way I am reading it, then that would just be a pixel to pixel match to what the graphics device was rendering. Not how the display device was rendering it.
post #1359 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Interesting. What are the names of the motion settings for the 929 vs the 950? Are they not the same names?
I've been reading that the 950 is a rebadged 929. Are the menu's not the same? I've read the 950 has discontinued some features, like the sensor if someone approaches the tv has been removed.

It would be nice to confirm that Sony has made some improvements to the 950.

From what I remember (unfortunately don't own both TV's and didn't ever have them side by side), the menu on the 929 is almost exactly the same. The names were the same or at least extremely similar from what I remember as well. Yes, there is some child safety feature removed, and the sensor thing you mentioned removed, and there may be like 2 other very small things different feature wise as well.. (being able to turn off the glowing Sony logo ? maybe ?) Unsure. Either way, from my experience, I tried all motion settings and every combination in-between, so even though I don't remember the names of the settings, I am positive I tried them all.

Quote:

Excellent. I know the VT50 also has some sort of motion handling, unlike Samsung plasmas. Is there any chance you could compare for me the VT50's best motion smoother handling to the HX950 with the scene you mentioned? Been dying to know that for a long time.

Yes it does have some motion settings oddly enough. But to be honest, I haven't messed with them yet (still breaking it in - 2 more days left). Once I do though, believe me I will be going through the settings like a madman. And yes, I will compare for you and keep you posted. One thing though, I already ran that clip on it, and with default settings (whatever they are?) it played it fine. But I chalked that up to it being a Plasma. So for now, - the XBR950 on MotionFlow: Standard, and Cinemotion: Auto 1 is equal to the VT50 on Default. Now I don't know what Default is set to yet. And to be honest I have ran a bunch of content to test motion on the VT50 yet. So again, I'll keep you posted.

Quote:

How do you do "Screen Captures" on this TV ? I can't find the option/feature. And where does it save it to ? Do you need a USB key in it or something ?
post #1360 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post

If you are using the term "screen capture" the way I am reading it, then that would just be a pixel to pixel match to what the graphics device was rendering. Not how the display device was rendering it.

By screen capture I'm implying a frozen image being displayed on the panel at the time image was taken. Not screen capture as you are stating, that was a wrong choice of terms by me.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1361 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

How do you do "Screen Captures" on this TV ? I can't find the option/feature. And where does it save it to ? Do you need a USB key in it or something ?

My photos are taken of a "PAUSED IMAGE" on the screen. There is no "SCREEN CAPTURE" feature ?

post #1362 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
i think when someone buys a television, that person should be aware of its advantages and disadvantages very clearly, specially when spending mucho bucks on a tv like HX950.

People pick and choose only the information which are in their favour and dismiss other reviews as either useless or abuse the reviewers. koffas and flavius really need to stop driving people away from this thread by insulting people.. we should do everything in our power to inform each other because sony will not..
post #1363 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Latest pic from my HX950. No banding, no clouding, no flashlighting and zero motion artifacts - - especially with high speed games both on my Xbox and PS3. Off angle viewing is great!

Reference check via my Stenzil Dual-Quad Analyzer that was spot on as to Differential Mean Opinion Score (DMOS) and color temperatures. smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #1364 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM

..i plan on going to a bb today that still has both..just dont know what to do..if i do get a 950 "55", im worried because i will not have the extra cash for an e/w..now that we know this panel is samsung, is anyone else worried abt not having the e/w.

btw..thanks koffa for the samsung panel info.. when i did the post above i was just upset, sorry abt that....
post #1365 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Latest pic from my HX950. No banding, no clouding, no flashlighting and zero motion artifacts - - especially with high speed games both on my Xbox and PS3. Off angle viewing is great!
Reference check via my Stenzil Dual-Quad Analyzer that was spot on as to Differential Mean Opinion Score (DMOS) and color temperatures. smile.gif

lmao.gif ......luv it

post #1366 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 10
so, im confused.

does the 55" have a better display than the 65"?

i was going to get the 65" instead of my 55" but im concerned, my 55 looks amazing but i dont want to go through the panel lottery nightmare i just went through with my samsung 65". every set i got had vertical banding.

my 55 looks really good but will i lose this quality if i pay extra to go to 65? are the panels on the 65" inferior?
post #1367 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

That's impossible as the camera cannot duplicate the exact picture you are viewing live and then everyone else will be viewing it on their own personal monitor hat will change the quality of the picture due to quality of the individuals monitor, the environment the member is viewing his monitor in and the adjustments of each individuals monitor.
mike50 and Oldemar like this.
post #1368 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

i think when someone buys a television, that person should be aware of its advantages and disadvantages very clearly, specially when spending mucho bucks on a tv like HX950.

People pick and choose only the information which are in their favour and dismiss other reviews as either useless or abuse the reviewers. koffas and flavius really need to stop driving people away from this thread by insulting people.. we should do everything in our power to inform each other because sony will not..

I was not insulting you. I was challenging you to mention a CURRENT LCD TV with better lag numbers than the HX950, given the HX950 is just as fast as a Samsung ES8000 in Game mode (under 40ms), and faster than the ES8000 in non-Game mode with all the motion and image tweaks turned on (100ms vs 140 ms). But you could not. So I rest my case. More like you were insulting the HX950 unjustly.

I know Plasma might be 15ms or 20ms faster even compared to Sony's Game mode. And I know my OLD 52" Samsung CCFL A650 is 15 ms faster in Game Mode, and 60ms faster in non-game mode. But most people on this thread are not considering plasma (as well they shouldn't) and are shopping for a current, large LCD, not a 4 year old outdated TV with crappy PQ. And given that Game mode looks almost as good as non-Game mode on this TV, unlike any other TV I've tried, this is a great TV for gamers who don't want plasma. Especially if they are the type of gamers who play all sorts of games, not just FPS all day.
post #1369 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

That's impossible as the camera cannot duplicate the exact picture you are viewing live and then everyone else will be viewing it on their own personal monitor hat will change the quality of the picture due to quality of the individuals monitor, the environment the member is viewing his monitor in and the adjustments of each individuals monitor.

I said, That was the image I was viewing, I'm sure not everyone's monitor will reproduce the same exact image ....

post #1370 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I said, That was the image I was viewing, I'm sure not everyone's monitor will reproduce the same exact image ....

Okay, fair enough. It just didn't come across that way to me by what you said. My interpretation made it seem like you were saying the picture was exactly what you were viewing thus everyone is seeing in that picture exactly what you were viewing in person. No harm, no foul. smile.gif
post #1371 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I was not insulting you. I was challenging you to mention a CURRENT LCD TV with better lag numbers than the HX950, given the HX950 is just as fast as a Samsung ES8000 in Game mode (under 40ms), and faster than the ES8000 in non-Game mode with all the motion and image tweaks turned on (100ms vs 140 ms). But you could not. So I rest my case. More like you were insulting the HX950 unjustly.
I know Plasma might be 15ms or 20ms faster even compared to Sony's Game mode. And I know my OLD 52" Samsung CCFL A650 is 15 ms faster in Game Mode, and 60ms faster in non-game mode. But most people on this thread are not considering plasma (as well they shouldn't) and are shopping for a current, large LCD, not a 4 year old outdated TV with crappy PQ. And given that Game mode looks almost as good as non-Game mode on this TV, unlike any other TV I've tried, this is a great TV for gamers who don't want plasma. Especially if they are the type of gamers who play all sorts of games, not just FPS all day.

i wasnt talking about me..i was talking about the guy that said he couldnt deal with the lag on the 929..it took you sometime to admit that this tv is not good for fps games. like i said before, if and when i get a 950, i will use my 2010 samsung for any fps games but will play all other games on the 950..i never insulted the 950.im just not going to say this tv has better pq than other tvs that have already got tons of great reviews from the pros..
post #1372 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

....thanks koffa for the samsung panel info.. when i did the post above i was just upset, sorry abt that....

No problem. Just sharing info that I've come across. It's a lot of money for most, so I understand the consternation.
Quote:

The statement which you initially took umbrage with was these comparisons were silly. People are capturing these images on different equipment with certain ISO / f-stop / shutter speeds and then viewing them on displays of varying capability -- displays that almost certainly do not possess commensurate PQ attributes (gamma, grayscale, CR) to your 929. So assuming the information in each pixel of your 929 was perfectly mapped to the pixels in your camera's image sensor, this lack of systematicity alone renders the comparison meaningless. I don't want to derail the thread further, so feel free to reach me via PM.

Getting somewhat back on track, I found an article on AVForums from earlier this year that discusses Sony's image processing. There are some interesting comments about zone counts and the thin chassis and bezel on the competition.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/avforums-news-notices/1593930-time-next-year-inside-sony-day-3-a.html
post #1373 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Didn't I state the same thing couple days ago....posting pics of TV images (to be used for comparison) are WORTHLESS. rolleyes.gif

If you are posting pics to show off to people on how great you think your TV is performing....then that's totally different biggrin.gif

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #1374 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:

My photos are taken of a "PAUSED IMAGE" on the screen. There is no "SCREEN CAPTURE" feature ?

Ahhh, got'cha. Thanks for the clarification. Them pics look good man ! What kind of camera are you using ?

Quote:

eek.gif HA !!!!! biggrin.gif LOL !!!!! Hey, that guy looks familiar !

Quote:

FYI, from my personal experience and testing (with no testing gear though, JUST on "feel" alone) the 950 had less Input Lag than the VT50 and another Sammy plasma (forget which) in the store where I tested. All side by side, and all one time in non-game mode and another time all in game mode. In ALL instances after I pressed the button, the 950 was first to finish the action on the screen... therefore meaning it must have been first to start the "said" action.

I know its not perfect, and far from my old SD TV's response (therefore annoying, yes), but from the only tv's I would even consider buying due to PQ and price range, the 950 had the best input lag of those.
post #1375 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

Ahhh, got'cha. Thanks for the clarification. Them pics look good man ! What kind of camera are you using ?

I use a Canon DSLR XTi w/ a 105 mm lens.

post #1376 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

What is your tv size?
post #1377 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM

post #1378 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenslime View Post

I'm still on the fence wondering if a 55" will give the super picture quality of my 46HX800

my HT
post #1379 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM

For what its worth, I am very impressed with 55.( Aside from the 2 dead pixels) I am using a Rizzo's settings for dark movies( Alien) and a slightly modified version of Flavius's for everything else.

Rizzo

Flavius

You could always buy the tv, demo it for a little while, then return it if it does not meet your needs.

BTW those images are untouched and taken from my crappy camera phone. Any blur and blooming is from the camera NOT THE TV.
post #1380 of 4597 Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Hi there thinking of buying the d Version 929 or the New 955 in Europe.
Tested the 50st50 and the sammy60e6500 before.
Is there a huge difference comparing the 929 (925) to the 950(955)
Or is the much Cheaper older model the better buy???
Thanks a lot
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page