Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
mike50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post

Originally Posted by Garloo57
Patniemeyer , I agree with your thoughtful and accurate study which is basically the same interpretation I have on the XBR55HX950... Again, most of the problem I've experienced with the 950 has been with the over the air broadcasts. As you mention inconsistency from one scene to the next the transition quality is usually quite different and is annoying.. I agree with Patniemeyer on the over the air broadcast quality.. it is a crap shoot with the 55" 950 and is maddening... Blu-ray viewing is great but if you are watching "television" it is very inconsistent when compared with the 55"929

In some previous posts, I attached pics showing that the 55HX950 can provide excellent PQ for live HD cable TV. Furthermore, you acknowledge that BluRay viewing is great, Therefore, IMO, the inconsistency comes from the broadcasts not the TV. Garbage in = garbage out.
mike50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Member
 
Garloo57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That may be however the 929 did a superior job of blending the over the air broadcast viewing experience..... HD or standard... If you have the opportunity audition the 55" 929 and the 950 55" in your home in the exact same location and settings you will be amazed at how much better the 929 is in handling the over the air content...
Garloo57 is offline  
post #1533 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Member
 
JoelxD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA - USA
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by isupes View Post

....(edited)....The one gripe I do have is that AMC's 'The Walking Dead' just doesn't look right. I've tried many settings but I just can't get it to look good. It's playing from my Directv box tho so maybe that's it. I may buy the season in blu ray when it comes out to see if it's the TV or directv or just the way the show is filmed.....(edited)....

Man, funny you bring that up. I notice all the "big series" tv shows that I watch religiously look like CRAP compared to something like The History Channel (literally the best HD channel I've seen so far). Walking Dead is a big one for me, Revolution, Once Upon A Time, etc.. these are my main channel ones I watch... and man, they look literally no different from SD channel to HD version. But put on The History Channel HD vs the SD version and there is a HUGE difference !

So yes, I have come to the conclusion that Walking Dead and the others that look bad simply are not broadcasting in full true HD, and The History Channel must be. Or (worse case scenario) the film is simply not shot in HD. And your right, we will find out when we purchase the Series Box set on BD.

But in EITHER case, it is not the TV's fault. You judge a TV's PQ by a BD, not a broadcasting channel. There is too many variables that arise in broadcast channels to do fair testing/comparisons on PQ on a TV.
JoelxD is offline  
post #1534 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South mid Tn.
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdfanboy444 View Post

The 55" panel is the same one used in the 46" so what exactly makes the 46" panel better?
And may I suggest to greenslime that before you jump ship back to a 55" set if the whole issue is just brightness, make sure you have the 65" set up properly.
Go into preferences and make sure ambient sensor and light limiter (all the crap in there for that matter) is set off.
I can tell you I have a 65hx929 and I always leave backlight at 3 and its extremely bright. I can't bare to have it any higher especially in a fully darkened/dimly lit room. Don't see why it should be different for the hx950.
And wasn't it confirmed that the 65hx950 had 125 zones? That's about the same ratio to screen size as having 105 for the 55" and 96 for the 46" so I don't see why picture quality should be different.
I know 46/55 have SPVA vs SMVA for the 65 and most people would actually argue that the SMVA is superior to SPVA+Psa especially for 2d pq as the Psa tech sacrifices 2d performance (contrast+ viewing angles) in order to provide better 3d performance.
This would also explain the reports we got earlier about the 55" version having bad viewing angles whereas the 65 has been reported to be quite good for of axis viewing.
It also falls in place with flavius reporting somewhat poor 3d performance on the 65 whereas we are not seeing people say the same about the 55. Probably the Psa tech kicking in which is causing these differences. I'm not saying for sure, but just a guess base on the spec differences between these panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

With the same number of pixels in HD, so as the panels get larger so do the pixels thus the smaller pixels create a sharper image much as with photos ....once you begin enlarging them they lose their sharpiness because the 'grain' grows as does the pixels.
thanks, I thought I was the only one who could see that...

my HT
eaamon is offline  
post #1535 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Member
 
Hdfanboy444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes up close with a magnifying glass the pixels will be smaller and therefore have a sharper picture on a smaller panel but its not like we are viewing them that close.

I'd personally rather sit farther away and get an image that appears to be just as sharp while still gaining the benefit of more immersion which the smaller screen couldn't offer. That's just me.
Hdfanboy444 is offline  
post #1536 of 4597 Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenslime View Post

Exactly. The 55 pops. The 65 does not. I figured maybe its a bad panel but I think rizzo is right. There is not enough LEDs or zones or whatever it is to push the 65 the way the 55 is pushed.

My 65 pops like popcorn. Serious poppage. Sounds like a quality control issue. No bends or warps in the glass either.
Flavius is offline  
post #1537 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Member
 
JoelxD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA - USA
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

Ok, OK, I admit my latter paragraph is a opinion, but the motion part is not. The 929 does not do motion like the 950. I have a strange feeling the processor in the 950 is beefed up and more modern and up to date using a newer technology or just better build than the 929.

Excellent. I know the VT50 also has some sort of motion handling, unlike Samsung plasmas. Is there any chance you could compare for me the VT50's best motion smoother handling to the HX950 with the scene you mentioned? Been dying to know that for a long time.

K, finally did it. So as you know, for us on the 950 the best motion handling setting is MotionFlow: Standard, and Cinemotion: Auto 1

On the VT50 you have a choice of only something called "Motion Smoother". It has the choices of: Off, Weak, Medium or Strong. There is another setting that sorta handles motion, but in a different way (flicker handling I like to call it), it is called "24p Direct In" and its choices are 48Hz, 60Hz and 96Hz.

Between these 2 settings, I found that Motion Smoother on MEDIUM and 24p Direct In on 60hz seems to look the best I can get it to look. It handles all motion scenes thrown at it just like our settings on the 950 from what I can tell so far from all the content tested. I see absolutely no problem in the motion of the VT50 at all IF on these settings. Looks beautiful and smooth and honest. But this is still pretty prelim so far.
JoelxD is offline  
post #1538 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Member
 
Plutotype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regarding motion sharpness/blur we cant use any Motion flow on when comparing LCD with Plasma. Ideal situation would be taking HX950 with Motionflow off and VT50 with IFC set to off and compare using mid-fast test patterns and real 24p movie scenes. The reason is mantaining the film look and not looking at telenovel (SOE). From my experience, VT/GT/ST series has issues with false contouring ( @24p and horrible @ 50hz - EU ) and flickers. The plasma defenders say always, its inherent in the panel tech and cant be removed absolutely. Although many reviewers will rave about 900-1080p lines of motion sharpness by plasma, with the mentioned artifacts the result looks weird, at least to me. I have compared Panasonic 50VT30, Samsung 60E6500 and 55HX850 side by side with the same motion sequence ( for example 2min. sequence starting 0:45:25 in Crazy Stupid Love movie ) and suprisingly I kept HX850. Sony does a very good job on keeping these artifacts on minimal level, but as there is no true intelligent backlight scanning implemented yet, the motion is blurry not only in mid to fast pans, but also when a object changes position slower. Someone would say - motion on LED is not so natural as plasma offers, which is true especially on the eye perception level ( plasma uses sub-field drive to achieve this ). This project explains more on this topic.
Plutotype is offline  
post #1539 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Member
 
greenslime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

My 65 pops like popcorn. Serious poppage. Sounds like a quality control issue. No bends or warps in the glass either.

Flavius can you post some pictures of your set in action?
greenslime is offline  
post #1540 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
bekindrewind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone confirm if Sony has upgraded the Netflix app in the 55HX950 or 65HX950 to output in Dolby Digital 5.1 (Either by ARC or fiber optic)
The Netflix app in the 65HX929 output in stereo only.
If I remember correctly, ARC would not work with Netflix and I had to use a fiber optic out of the 65HX929 to the processor for sound with Netflix.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
bekindrewind is offline  
post #1541 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

K, finally did it. So as you know, for us on the 950 the best motion handling setting is MotionFlow: Standard, and Cinemotion: Auto 1
On the VT50 you have a choice of only something called "Motion Smoother". It has the choices of: Off, Weak, Medium or Strong. There is another setting that sorta handles motion, but in a different way (flicker handling I like to call it), it is called "24p Direct In" and its choices are 48Hz, 60Hz and 96Hz.
Between these 2 settings, I found that Motion Smoother on MEDIUM and 24p Direct In on 60hz seems to look the best I can get it to look. It handles all motion scenes thrown at it just like our settings on the 950 from what I can tell so far from all the content tested. I see absolutely no problem in the motion of the VT50 at all IF on these settings. Looks beautiful and smooth and honest. But this is still pretty prelim so far.

Can you compare judder in games between the two? Find something super juddery with MotionFlow/Cine off.. Skyrim works, or any AC game. Maybe even DD, I forget. And then pan pan pan the camera. smile.gif
Flavius is offline  
post #1542 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenslime View Post

Flavius can you post some pictures of your set in action?

I can try. Found some outstanding movie samples on my WOW disc.
Flavius is offline  
post #1543 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Member
 
greenslime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I can try. Found some outstanding movie samples on my WOW disc.

If you can, take a pic of the third monsters inc scene when the blue furry monsters first comes out of the tunnel.

Also grab one of the white robot with light on him in the wall-e scenes.
greenslime is offline  
post #1544 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South mid Tn.
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdfanboy444 View Post

Yes up close with a magnifying glass the pixels will be smaller and therefore have a sharper picture on a smaller panel but its not like we are viewing them that close.
I'd personally rather sit farther away and get an image that appears to be just as sharp while still gaining the benefit of more immersion which the smaller screen couldn't offer. That's just me.
yes, I had a 13X16 room before but 46 was just fine as furthest seat was about 10'.
now just bought a house with HT room 17X21 dimension and looking to get a larger screen.
not sure if most seats will be 15 to 20 feet away....funny thing is the screen will look
about the same size as the 46" that far back.
I am going to have to study that "immersion."

my HT
eaamon is offline  
post #1545 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Member
 
CRITICALSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A comparison of the Sony PS3 3D glasses and the Titanium 3D glasses.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-3d-glasses-tale-two-pairs

Nothing we already didn't know, but others may need "professional" validation.

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
CRITICALSHOT is offline  
post #1546 of 4597 Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Newbie
 
cisko213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just recieved my 65" 950. install will be done in a few days. How many people actually own this TV? Actually have in their living room. And for all the people that find its flaws. What TV is perfect?
cisko213 is offline  
post #1547 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisko213 View Post

Just recieved my 65" 950. install will be done in a few days. How many people actually own this TV? Actually have in their living room. And for all the people that find its flaws. What TV is perfect?

Are you installing before checking for any anomaly's, ie banding / dead pixels etc ? by 'installing' I'm assuming your talking about wall mounting, correct ?

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #1548 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Has anyone attempted to color (paint) the stand. I would think the use of a spray can of black Testors modelers paint a few light coatings (applied dryly) will create a darkened (not completely black) smoky stand, a lot less obtrusive that the present shiny, distracting finish.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #1549 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Has anyone attempted to color (paint) the stand. I would think the use of a spray can of black Testors modelers paint a few light coatings (applied lightly) will create a darkened (not completely black) smoky stand, a lot less obtrusive that the present shiny, distracting finish.

The stand isn't that obtrusive after you get used to the design. You actually tune it out like someone who is nagging you in the background when you are watching a TV show.

Unrelated note, went back to the living room 950 and noticed the central band on the set in there is a lot more prominent than the other set that I have. I turned off the eco light sensor and turned the backlight up to 4-5, instead of the 3 which I preferred. It eliminated most of it, but is still there. Just wanted to poll you guys, in panning shots with sky backgrounds for example, are these the only areas you ever notice this in?
BarrettF77 is offline  
post #1550 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Member
 
CaneDawgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

The stand isn't that obtrusive after you get used to the design. You actually tune it out like someone who is nagging you in the background when you are watching a TV show.
Unrelated note, went back to the living room 950 and noticed the central band on the set in there is a lot more prominent than the other set that I have. I turned off the eco light sensor and turned the backlight up to 4-5, instead of the 3 which I preferred. It eliminated most of it, but is still there. Just wanted to poll you guys, in panning shots with sky backgrounds for example, are these the only areas you ever notice this in?

Oh yeah. I think every 65 inch TV has the exact same banding issue with this TV.

On a side note, did anyone get the Auto Update? Any idea what it does?
CaneDawgg is offline  
post #1551 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Member
 
CRITICALSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Has anyone attempted to color (paint) the stand. I would think the use of a spray can of black Testors modelers paint a few light coatings (applied dryly) will create a darkened (not completely black) smoky stand, a lot less obtrusive that the present shiny, distracting finish.

I would go with a vinyl dye, as it soaks into plastic without streaks. I have used it on plastic multiple times with no issues or uneven color.

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
CRITICALSHOT is offline  
post #1552 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

Man, funny you bring that up. I notice all the "big series" tv shows that I watch religiously look like CRAP compared to something like The History Channel (literally the best HD channel I've seen so far). Walking Dead is a big one for me, Revolution, Once Upon A Time, etc.. these are my main channel ones I watch... and man, they look literally no different from SD channel to HD version. But put on The History Channel HD vs the SD version and there is a HUGE difference !
So yes, I have come to the conclusion that Walking Dead and the others that look bad simply are not broadcasting in full true HD, and The History Channel must be. Or (worse case scenario) the film is simply not shot in HD. And your right, we will find out when we purchase the Series Box set on BD.
But in EITHER case, it is not the TV's fault. You judge a TV's PQ by a BD, not a broadcasting channel. There is too many variables that arise in broadcast channels to do fair testing/comparisons on PQ on a TV.

"But in EITHER case, it is not the TV's fault. You judge a TV's PQ by a BD, not a broadcasting channel. There is too many variables that arise in broadcast channels to do fair testing/comparisons on PQ on a TV."


I agree 100% on that comment. Well said!

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
steve1971 is online now  
post #1553 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Has anyone attempted to color (paint) the stand. I would think the use of a spray can of black Testors modelers paint a few light coatings (applied dryly) will create a darkened (not completely black) smoky stand, a lot less obtrusive that the present shiny, distracting finish.

How about some BLACK FABRIC instead, maybe velvet? Much classier and easier than attempting to paint chrome.
Flavius is offline  
post #1554 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

I would go with a vinyl dye, as it soaks into plastic without streaks. I have used it on plastic multiple times with no issues or uneven color.

I thought the base was a polished aluminum material ? my bad if it is plastic you might want to apply dye lightly at first, and see your results and then darken to please. (it does look better with an opaque coating vs solid, black,- flat / glossy / satin) ? Satin the less obvious of the choices, IMHO.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #1555 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Member
 
greenslime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

I thought the base was a polished aluminum material ? my bad if it is plastic you might want to apply dye lightly at first, and see your results and then darken to please. (it does look better with an opaque coating vs solid, black,- flat / glossy / satin) ? Satin the less obvious of the choices, IMHO.

It's plastic that looks like aluminum.
greenslime is offline  
post #1556 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Member
 
Garloo57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have attached several photos revealing the dead pixels and halo or screen burn which plagues the XBR 950 55" which was delivered the end of October by Best Buy. Has anyone else observed this malady? By the way I was told in a just received email....

"Sorry to hear about how things have been carrying along, I assure you we've exhausted every outlet possible in search for a new 929 but unfortunately could only get our hands on multiple open ones. Again, I am very sorry for the original miscommunication. Please do not feel that I was neglecting your emails as I was away on vacation. I'm back now, and I was able to set an exchange for you Wednesday morning. Let me know if that does not work for you, otherwise I sincerely hope that this TV is up to your standards and can be enjoyed to the fullest."

and this was from the store manger ...."I have been trying really hard over the weekend to locate any of the Sony 929's. Every store that listed one in stock, the item was either an open box or a display. We also tried to order on BestBuy.com with no success. "A...."should be getting in touch with you soon about helping you with the issues you are currently having".



you can easily spot the problem in the light blue field above the "N."..



The dead pixels and the "halo" standout with the white screen

observe above the E and N in enter


Burnt pixels and halo standout within the cream backround

look at the top of the F in free
...


The last photo was taken with the set off... It is definitely behind the gorilla glass, the defect ( or screen rupture?)is approx. 1/2" in wide and nearly 3/4" long


I have just forward the same photos to Best Buy/Geek Squad.
Garloo57 is offline  
post #1557 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post

I have attached several photos revealing the dead pixels and halo or screen burn which plagues the XBR 950 55" which was delivered the end of October by Best Buy. Has anyone else observed this malady? By the way I was told in a just received email....
"Sorry to hear about how things have been carrying along, I assure you we've exhausted every outlet possible in search for a new 929 but unfortunately could only get our hands on multiple open ones. Again, I am very sorry for the original miscommunication. Please do not feel that I was neglecting your emails as I was away on vacation. I'm back now, and I was able to set an exchange for you Wednesday morning. Let me know if that does not work for you, otherwise I sincerely hope that this TV is up to your standards and can be enjoyed to the fullest."
and this was from the store manger ...."I have been trying really hard over the weekend to locate any of the Sony 929's. Every store that listed one in stock, the item was either an open box or a display. We also tried to order on BestBuy.com with no success. Alicia should be getting in touch with you soon about helping you with the issues you are currently having".


observe above the E and N in enter


look at the top of the F in free

...
The last photo was taken with the set off..
I have just forward the same photos to Best Buy/Geek Squad.

Get another 950. But because they can't get you what you want have them discount the 65" one way down since they dropped the ball. It can be done.
BarrettF77 is offline  
post #1558 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Member
 
greenslime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Get another 950. But because they can't get you what you want have them discount the 65" one way down since they dropped the ball. It can be done.

They aren't allowed to discount the Sonys. Some kind of deal they have with sony.
greenslime is offline  
post #1559 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post

I have attached several photos revealing the dead pixels and halo or screen burn which plagues the XBR 950 55" which was delivered the end of October by Best Buy. Has anyone else observed this malady? By the way I was told in a just received email....
"Sorry to hear about how things have been carrying along, I assure you we've exhausted every outlet possible in search for a new 929 but unfortunately could only get our hands on multiple open ones. Again, I am very sorry for the original miscommunication. Please do not feel that I was neglecting your emails as I was away on vacation. I'm back now, and I was able to set an exchange for you Wednesday morning. Let me know if that does not work for you, otherwise I sincerely hope that this TV is up to your standards and can be enjoyed to the fullest."
and this was from the store manger ...."I have been trying really hard over the weekend to locate any of the Sony 929's. Every store that listed one in stock, the item was either an open box or a display. We also tried to order on BestBuy.com with no success. Alicia should be getting in touch with you soon about helping you with the issues you are currently having".


observe above the E and N in enter


look at the top of the F in free

...
The last photo was taken with the set off..
I have just forward the same photos to Best Buy/Geek Squad.

That imperfection is on the inside of your front panel ?? That is totally unacceptable, you will never be able to keep your attention away from that blemish.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #1560 of 4597 Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Member
 
sammy-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisko213 View Post

Just recieved my 65" 950. install will be done in a few days. How many people actually own this TV? Actually have in their living room. And for all the people that find its flaws. What TV is perfect?

I've had mine for a little over 3 weeks. Aside from a very faint verical band in the center of the screen, mine has no other flaws. The banding isn't anything close to the 2 Sammy ES8000s I had. The PQ is amazing. If I were to return it, the only thing I would consider at this point would be the Sharp LC-80LE844U. My understanding is that Sharp is the only set without any vertical banding and now that I mounted the 65" on the wall, I think I could go with something bigger. My concern would be that the PQ would be inferior and I'd be disappointed.
sammy-r is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off